The wind, a branch and my TL.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could leave the roof rack off since you have the MDX now. Just a thought.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
when you get your new windshield tell the installer you want the new style top molding. much much much cleaner and a must do if you have the chance.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by TWiSDiT
I just realized i have the exact same car cover! lol but mine is ghettofied because it has duct tape pieces covering up the holes made my rats I think it cost about 150-200 at the time i purchased mine
well, i wrote a note to covercraft to compliment them on the fact that the NOAH cover survived storms and what not...but was still able to protect the paint on the car after a tree limb fell on it. i asked if there was any way to fix it since the cover i had made was truly custom to accomodate the rack and cost a pretty penny. what do you know...the folks at covercraft said they should be able to repair the damage to my cover! it'll be a lot cheaper than having a new one made.

Originally Posted by quanaman
You're in VA? theres a OEM cover on craigslist for 100 bucks...been listed for weeks. Probably can get it for a little less

Goodluck.
yeah i think i saw that one. unfortunately, the cover i have is custom fit for the roof rack and the car. thank you though. how is your car coming along?

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Wow I'm so sorry to see. One hell of a way to start the new year
yeah...it started out nice...and then...wtf?

my mind has settled down a little more since my initial trauma from last night. the wheels are in motion to getting this fixed. another one of life's inconveniences. (sigh)

there are many of us not starting 2012 off on an immediate positive note. it can only get better from here though
Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
when you get your new windshield tell the installer you want the new style top molding. much much much cleaner and a must do if you have the chance.
what is this? do you have a comparison pic?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
thats good to know they still honored warranty to fix yours. I thought mine was out so i was like.. eff it, duct tape it is! maybe ill contact them in the future to see how much it will cost to fix rather than spend on a new one
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

the cover is warrantied for 4 or 5 yrs. i would assume that's normal wear and tear.

i dont' think mother nature dropping a tree limb on your car counts as normal wear and tear. plus i think if your cover is 4-5 yrs old and used regularly, the materials may breakdown over that time frame. that's what happened with my first car cover...and it started sporting a hole from the bike mount rubbing it after 4 yrs...so i sprung for the custom cover. certainly never hurts to ask.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I don't mind the rack as long as it's used. Kids used to put those on cars just because back in the day...
Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Sucks about the branch BTW. At least CoverCraft is going to get you taken care of. Hopefully the don't charge you an arm and a leg to fix it.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
thanks oscar. how's your car?
It's better now, just gotta put some finishing touches to it.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
I don't mind the rack as long as it's used. Kids used to put those on cars just because back in the day...
it gets used, no worries there...i'm no poser. hence the "tri" in my screen name. i'm not used to my car being so naked.

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Sucks about the branch BTW. At least CoverCraft is going to get you taken care of. Hopefully the don't charge you an arm and a leg to fix it.
thanks. yeah i was suprised they actually asked me for pictures of the damage to see what they could do to salvage the cover. based on the pricing they quoted me so far (don't have a a true guestimate yet), it's very reasonable.

Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
It's better now, just gotta put some finishing touches to it.
glad to hear it!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Drifting

what is this? do you have a comparison pic?
i thought i did. i had one on my old cellphone, but couldn't find it on my flickr. these are the best i personally have.

oh nice this rescale came out clear.

if you imagine the side molding which are big and fat, well that is the 'old style' and the new style is more like how you would caulk or even grout something, instead of a massive rubber strip.

this is what the 'old style' looks like.

as you can see, the luxury cars have all switched to the new version. i swear its why Merc's and BMW's look so professional on their roof line.

it's also a must if you rock a black roof IMHO
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Jamie, I remember Dad saying that he hated the new style windshield header. The exposed glass edge could be prone to chipping. The reason the OEMs deleted the the old style rubber strip was to save money.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by shadow1
Jamie, I remember Dad saying that he hated the new style windshield header. The exposed glass edge could be prone to chipping. The reason the OEMs deleted the the old style rubber strip was to save money.
they why are only luxury brands using it?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

veggie the first pic you posted...the molding stops at the roof line. the OEM molding on the TL runs the length of the car from the windshild cowl to the rear window. it appears the one int he pic stops at the roof.

and of course the other one (looks like a civic-and yes you are using it as an example), and i can see what you are talking about.

i dont' think the molding will make or break the look of the car for me....i will discuss these things with the body shop once the car and i get there. waiting for the adjuster to show up right now. thanks for the thought though.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Drifting

no, not the sides. the sides stay like that, but the top doesn't have the big fat molding, its recessed/flush with the glass-roof
Old 01-05-2012, 12:05 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

OH....i see now...that top molding....the faring from the rack sat on top of mine. i follow you now. yes i see the cleaner look of it now.

maybe luxury brands were deleting it to save money. doesn't necessarily mean cutting costs is only in mainstream cars. it maybe something that is occurring in all cars.

my dad was a glass guy in the industry, so our (shadow and myself) source is pretty reliable. interesting though.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Drifting

^^ i was really thrown off by his comment. that all makes sense now haha.

when i had mine replaced on the silver car pictured, the guy said i had 2 options, and that neither affected price, and was all up to me. just one of those 'while your in there' things i like to do if i get the unfortunate chance to do so.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
they why are only luxury brands using it?
Unless we are referring to 2 separate things, I have seen the "headerless" windshield style on mainstream domestics.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Sorry about the storm damage, but glad to see it wasn't much worse. Looks like the windshield was the big loser in the fight with the tree branch.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by ttribe
Sorry about the storm damage, but glad to see it wasn't much worse. Looks like the windshield was the big loser in the fight with the tree branch.
thanks ttribe. funny thing was....it was only windy, not crazy windy but windy 20-30 mph variety. i'm so thankful it wasn't worse. there is a good reason for the roof rack! there are a bunch of little dings on the car, but nothing that a little PDR won't fix. i hope.

i think my neighbor's tree is sensing it's end is near. it is scheduled to be cut down soon with the assistance of the power company b/c its too close to the main line that straddles the properties. too little too late...

i'm hating trees right now...at least the ones that are near my car.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Superstressed

Received 86 Likes on 84 Posts
i'm hating trees right now...at least the ones that are near my car.
Don't hate the tree, it's the damn winds fault. Lol. I hope it all works out for you with no extra stress, even though you already have the stress of going through this crappy situation.

p.s. A while back you gave me some advice on car covers. I took it and got the CoverCraft with mirror pockets. Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by shadow1
You could leave the roof rack off since you have the MDX now. Just a thought.
i'll consider it, but the car looks so naked without it...if i leave it off...i'll have to get the Aspec lip kit to make up for it.

Originally Posted by TLove It!
Don't hate the tree, it's the damn winds fault. Lol. I hope it all works out for you with no extra stress, even though you already have the stress of going through this crappy situation.

p.s. A while back you gave me some advice on car covers. I took it and got the CoverCraft with mirror pockets. Thanks
thanks. i dont' hate all trees...only the ones the car is parked under (not really by choice). glad you're happy with your cover. mine will need repair like the car, but it beats paying for a brand new one

things will only get better from here....
Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

mini update

well the car is finally at the shop. first ride on the flatbed. followed the car all the way to the shop. the tow truck driver was cool, until he stalled out my car rolling off the flatbed. dude really?!

initial estimate: almost $1800. that is one expensive tree branch.

my body shop is working with me on the specifics of the windshield and how the rest of the car is going to be repaired and handled. they know i am VERY particular, so they reassured me that the car is in good hands and they will take care of it while it's there. so...now i wait...
Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
damn Jamie....sorry to see this happen....

btw 1800 bucks for what ?

windshield + how much was the body damage ?

on a funny note you had to see it coming TLTREEGirl

none the less, chin up and glad you will be getting ur car in a week....
Old 01-06-2012, 04:17 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^that's a thought i can change my SN.

dings to both front fenders, dings to the trunk, dings to the upper rear quarter panel, dings and scratches to my roof (which will be repaired and repainted, the entire roof), the windshield...unless the shop comes back and says they found more stuff.

yeah i was a little surprised, but if its gotta be done...then get it done so the car is back to what it was....unblemished, clean and shiny.

the TL will be a garage queen when she comes home since i won't be able to use a cover b/c of the new paint on the roof.

the car will be away most likely a week and a half (think work days). (sigh). please...no snow until the car comes home
Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 PM

^^^ lets hope the repairs go as you planned

btw about your S/N, i think you can email a MOD and only they have the power to change ur S/N....
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

nah...

the shop knows about my previous paranoias with the TL as well as my OCD meticulousness....they will make sure everything is perfect before even asking me to come out to pick up the car. if it doesn't meet the manager's approval...then it won't meet mine. do it over.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:08 PM

^^^ baah nice....we need to share our hook ups....

btw just noticed your in VA ? am in VA for a couple days, local meet ?

even come to KS will get you brand new tires for 50% off from sams with warranty
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ baah nice....we need to share our hook ups....

btw just noticed your in VA ? am in VA for a couple days, local meet ?

even come to KS will get you brand new tires for 50% off from sams with warranty
when are you in VA? the big meet is on jan 28th.

i had a do over with my MDX tailgate back in november. long story short, paint bubble, dealer didn't fix it correctly, i went ot body shop. body shop did the first respray. manager and my rep looked at it...didnt' like it...do over. it may have taken a couple of extra days, but as long as the work is done correctly i dont' mind. perfection takes time...so by no means will i rush the process of getting my car's fixed. i just want it done right. so far, the shop is 2 for 2 (though time will tell, but so far so good).
Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 PM

^^^ sounds like a legit shop

Am in Aldie....gonna be here until monday morning....
Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^^ sounds like a legit shop

Am in Aldie....gonna be here until monday morning....
ok i had to look that one up...you're in loudon county...essentially NOVA. what are you doing out here?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 PM

^^^ came here with my wife to meet her family

so i would love some time out of here and with some Acura fanatics
Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^^ came here with my wife to meet her family

so i would love some time out of here and with some Acura fanatics
come back the weekend of jan 28th. huge great falls meet. i have not gone to one yet, partly b/c its so freakin' cold....the other part....well...i don't really know anyone.

sounds like you might become a regular around our area. we have a lurker in the DMV area!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:30 AM

^^^ kiddin me....

we signed a deal....flying to be with her family for her week will only happen once in 2 years LMAO.....

nah but the little kids (2 and 4) and just so adorable....i bet i will be coming back soon....
Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

swoosh...be nice.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM

^^^ lol i am
Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

just for giggles...

the journey of my TL to the shop...

flatbed tow virgin heading to the shop:

arriving safe and sound at the shop (soon after unloading the tow truck driver stalls the car ):

now...i wait.

if i leave the rack off permanently...the car would need a mini facelift...front Aspec lip, perhaps? i'm not really a fan of the rear lip...

the rack won't be back on the car until after the paint on the roof has cured properly...so i have a few months to think about it. we'll see.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I hope you are not taking pictures while driving. Stalling is better than grinding gears. On the rare occassions I drive my husbands 6MT sonata it takes a few minutes to adjust to it-different clutch feel and reverse is not in same location as the acura
Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

well...just the one. normally i wouldn't be doing that kind of stuff. i hate it when people are on cell phones while they drive. tow truck guy kept up with me so we kept following each other over to the shop (18 mile trip).
Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
well...just the one. normally i wouldn't be doing that kind of stuff. i hate it when people are on cell phones while they drive. tow truck guy kept up with me so we kept following each other over to the shop (18 mile trip).
it is amazing to see what other's are doing while driving-scary. A former co-worker was talking to a friend who was on the cellphone while driving. My co-worker heard her in her final moments when she drove into the other lane and hit a dump truck headon. Please do not take risks

Quick Reply: The wind, a branch and my TL.