Weekend Progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Weekend Progress thread

Hi all. I did a couple things this weekend that I've been needing to do for a ill while so just postin a few pics. I changed 3 motor mounts (side, front, & lower trans) and replaced the power steering in & out of the reservoir hoses (& ps fluid of course).

1 quick note about the mounts... While I was researching them I wondered why there seems to be no pics of the trans mount. When I changed mine I to didn't have my phone on me when I crawled under my car to change it...so guess that's why. If anyone needs to see it I can post of pic, just lmk. But it was about as easy as the side mount imo so should be easy enuff.

Since I was changing the ps hoses anyway I took the whole reservoir out which made it extremely easy to change the side mount. Took +\- 10 mins to remove, clean around it while it was out then put the new one in:

Drained the ps fluid from the ps cooler. Reminded me of the special kind of hate I have for the ps clips always used on the ps cooler's. The ps stuff took longer than any of the mounts did...gettin the hoses off, draining fluid, burping the system, ect.

New side mount in, power steering hoses and fluid changed:

New front mount in. I got the old one out with just removing the pass side radiator fan but could get it back in easily without moving the driver radiator fan to, so I took it out while installing the new mount. Then I had to move the upper radiator hose when I put the driver radiator fan back in...I didn't feel like struggling with it at that point and it was just easier to do it that way.

After changing all that out it drives much better...cut down on the engine movement quite a bit (as expected). Which was extra annoying in a 6mt. And the steering is much smoother now with fresh fluid

Up next will be rebuilt or new rack (depending what they tell me) & rear main seal. Not doing those myself though so likely not much for pics on them. Maybe some afters...

Last edited by LGcbp8; 04-01-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Nice work....
Old 04-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
Well done! Im doing the front+rear motor and 3 trans mount this weekend. Did you re-use the old hardwares ( bolts/nuts/screws ). Can you also post the pic of the trans mount? I would like to see
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Nice work....
Thanks!

Originally Posted by TWiSDiT
Well done! Im doing the front+rear motor and 3 trans mount this weekend. Did you re-use the old hardwares ( bolts/nuts/screws ). Can you also post the pic of the trans mount? I would like to see
Thanks twisdit, the rear mount didn't look like much fun. I have to re-check mine sometime soon but I think its ok. When I ordered my mounts I ordered about half of the bolts needed just in case, knowing they would most likely be fine and I probably wouldn't break or strip any of them if at all. The mounting brackets on the side mount and front mount were completely fine, something serious would have to of happened to your car for them not to be. And all the bolts were fine to. After finishing mine, I think i shoulda done the trans mount 1st instead of last. Just cuz it's the only one (of the 1's I did) that you have to get from under the car completely and the bolts on it seemed to be a little easier than the front and side mounts. Since I did it last it was getting late and I was getting tired so I partially over-tightened one of the bolts and of course is wasn't the one I ordered (). Being tired and leaverage don't go together very well.

I'll grab a pic of the trans mount for ya. Probably tomorrow cuz it will be dark by the time I get home today.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Here's a pic of the trans mount location. The nuts are easy to unscrew then there's two bolts in the top of the mount (between he driver side tire & the trans). If your looking at the new mount it is obvious where the 2 bolts are. I tried to take a pic but it was too dark it didn't come out.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Update from this weekend...
I took my car in to a rack and axle shop yesterday to look at the rack as according to the dealer it was bad..dealer wanted around $1900 for it btw. So anyway the shop checked it out and said it looks fine. & It's never leaked from the rack so I'm thinking they are right. They did say my passenger side axle is bad...I noticed the boot looked bad last weekend when I was changing my mounts. From what I could see my oil leak problem seem to only be coming from the oil pump...I'm thinking part 37240-P2F-A01 (oil pressure switch). It's hard to tell for sure with the limited space to work with but I will have that looked at soon & changed out then ill know. The rear main seal appears to be fine, it looks more like the leak from the oil pump went that direction and that was the oil I found near it previously.

Sorry no pics of this yet but I'll try to grab a couple when I get the repairs done.
Also my axle should be getting changed next week along with my trans fluid changed...prolly going the gm synchromesh route.