Roger555 Official TL Garage build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,392 Likes on 4,937 Posts
I cant wait until I can purchase a garage with a house attached.

Originally Posted by Jack Olsen
Very nice garage, with a lot of smart touches. I like that it's all DIY, too.

If you haven't the visited Garage Journal site, you should. Lots of guys there would enjoy seeing what you've done.

Before you jump on epoxy, you might want to consider ceramic or porcelain tile. Everyone loves epoxy until the first time their hot tires peel up a section of it, and the prep (diamond grinding, acid) can be pretty intense. I did my 20x21 garage in inexpensive ceramic tile, and it's held up to a pretty serious amount of work (engine drops on the car, welding, lots of fabrication work). I installed the tile myself and the total outlay was only around $400 -- which is a lot less than most epoxy systems.

Since you've wrung a lot of utility out of a two-car space, you might enjoy reading about mine. I made a website for it at:

www.12-GaugeGarage.com,

and there's also a thread about it on the Garage Journal.
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen
I treated it like a single piece -- used thinset to fill the valley.

The pad had already had 85 years to settle. However, I'm right over the La Brea tar pits, basically, with (believe it or not) active oil drilling under my tiny 1/8-acre plot of land. So I had both a presumably stable piece of concrete and also the prospects of constant upheaval (worth noting: earthquakes). That said, I'm past the four year mark and the expansion joints have not done anything to the tiles up above them. I might be lucky, or the pad might just have worked out all of its issues back when Calvin Coolidge was still in the White House.
You have an in-floor lift, right? Have you used a floor jack and jack stands on the tile? My main concern is jack stands putting a lot of pressure on one specific point of a tile (well, technically four). The pressure is much more focused then when the car is on four wheels.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Also, why does your name sound familiar? (directed at Jack Olsen)
Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
You have an in-floor lift, right? Have you used a floor jack and jack stands on the tile? My main concern is jack stands putting a lot of pressure on one specific point of a tile (well, technically four). The pressure is much more focused then when the car is on four wheels.
Morgan, I was worried about the same thing, and many others, so I surfed around on that garage website he linked earlier, and came away more confused than before.
Some people use regular ceramic tile, others use something else (don't remember what it was called, but it sounded like it was expensive,porcelain maybe), some recommend using different types of thinset, etc.

One pretty common thing I did see was many people using a floor jack on it with no problems. I was surprised at that.

I really want to tile my garage, and if I can get a nice looking tile at a screaming price, I think I will give it a try. The only thing I'm not going to be happy about is the big step transition between driveway and garage.
Thinking I might lay a 4" tile on the driveway at the step to ease the transition.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
Morgan, I was worried about the same thing, and many others, so I surfed around on that garage website he linked earlier, and came away more confused than before.
Some people use regular ceramic tile, others use something else (don't remember what it was called, but it sounded like it was expensive,porcelain maybe), some recommend using different types of thinset, etc.

One pretty common thing I did see was many people using a floor jack on it with no problems. I was surprised at that.

I really want to tile my garage, and if I can get a nice looking tile at a screaming price, I think I will give it a try. The only thing I'm not going to be happy about is the big step transition between driveway and garage.
Thinking I might lay a 4" tile on the driveway at the step to ease the transition.
Thanks! I like the tile idea since it looks much more upscale then the epoxied floor. I don't know a whole lot about porcelain or ceramic tiles though, so my other concern is how porous it is. I don't want oil or coolant or whatever else I may spill to stain it. The same goes for the grout. I'd also be worried with how slippery it can be when wet. And if I were drop a breaker bar or something onto it, will I crack a tile.... lots of questions

I need to buy a house before I renovate a garage though
Old 08-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
http://www.mckinnonmaterials.com/ here is a place we use for metallic epoxy(aurora, here). Also Roger look into polishing the concrete with a painted border. The painted border will save you money. I do this line of work mostly commercial/industrial for the last 20 years. If you go the epoxy route have the floor diamond grind with 16~20 grit diamonds and try to use a poly aspartic urethane topcoat, it is stronger and more scratch resistant than regular urethane. There are plenty of good contractors in your not so immediate area but pretty close. decorativeconcrete.com is a good place to see actual work of great contractors. give me a pm and we can discuss further. I travel that way alot doing Nascar floors so maybe i can help.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by hofiveo
Also Roger look into polishing the concrete with a painted border. The painted border will save you money.
I dont want to sound dumb, but is a painted border exactly what I think it is?

That Aurora finish is crazy deep. I love it, but Im not sure how well that would work in a garage. If I were to drop a tiny screw, having a floor that is that reflective could make it difficult to locate quickly. But that may just be the color used in the example pics.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Yes... probably. We normally charge $16.00 per linear foot for polishing edges. Painting a border is included in the polish. It takes alot to polish edges, the painted border is usually only 4 to eight inches wide depending on what the customer likes. Your imagination on the border to match the floor or contrast it.
civicdrivr (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Safety Car

We kind of hijacked this thread

roger

So after all the floor talk are you still planning on doing this?

Originally Posted by Roger555

I actually wanted to do the floor first but it was winter when I moved in a way too cold out. However i'm glad I didn't now because with all my projects I would have scuffed it up to some extent. If you look around the garage everything I built besides the large bench is actually suspended off the floor so I wont need to move much before doing the epoxy. I just need to rent a diamond sander to resurface the top then I'll be ready to lay the epoxy! This is the look I'm going for.

I agree it looks great, and it was originally what I wanted to do also, however, it's all in the prep. After looking into everything involved in doing this, I decided it was way more work/cost than I am willing to put in.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
Wow, it looks great! I think i have just been inspired my husband & i have been in our house for 2.5 yrs and while we had hopes for the garage it has sadly sat as we felt like it was an impossible task. It looks like your before pic, with lots of other crap just tossed in the middle. Any tips on the overhead storage? Im very eager to maximize the amount of storage with something like that, but have always been afraid of it coming crashing down on the car lol
Old 08-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
Oh and is that box just enclosing the door sensor ? Does it serve any purpose or is it for aesthetics only?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:04 PM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by hofiveo
http://www.mckinnonmaterials.com/ here is a place we use for metallic epoxy(aurora, here). Also Roger look into polishing the concrete with a painted border. The painted border will save you money. I do this line of work mostly commercial/industrial for the last 20 years. If you go the epoxy route have the floor diamond grind with 16~20 grit diamonds and try to use a poly aspartic urethane topcoat, it is stronger and more scratch resistant than regular urethane. There are plenty of good contractors in your not so immediate area but pretty close. decorativeconcrete.com is a good place to see actual work of great contractors. give me a pm and we can discuss further. I travel that way alot doing Nascar floors so maybe i can help.
I will be renting a diamond sander from Sun rentals to remove the paint the open the pores on top layer. No contractors for me I do it all myself! The expoxy I'm using is a 100 % solid cycloaliphatic epoxy from epoxy-coat.com
http://www.epoxy-coat.com/catalog/in...44fbe27d91564e

I've read quite a bit about the different options out their and this seems to be a very good quality epoxy for the money.

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
We kind of hijacked this thread

roger

So after all the floor talk are you still planning on doing this?

I agree it looks great, and it was originally what I wanted to do also, however, it's all in the prep. After looking into everything involved in doing this, I decided it was way more work/cost than I am willing to put in.
Yes sir I will be doing this 2 weeks from now! As for the prep its definitely going to be less prep/work then tiling a floor which I did earlier this year. Stay tuned I'll post some pics of my floor install.

Originally Posted by MissAlyyTL
Wow, it looks great! I think i have just been inspired my husband & i have been in our house for 2.5 yrs and while we had hopes for the garage it has sadly sat as we felt like it was an impossible task. It looks like your before pic, with lots of other crap just tossed in the middle. Any tips on the overhead storage? Im very eager to maximize the amount of storage with something like that, but have always been afraid of it coming crashing down on the car lol
Check out the http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ they are ton of great ideas!

Originally Posted by MissAlyyTL
Oh and is that box just enclosing the door sensor ? Does it serve any purpose or is it for aesthetics only?
I actually made the sensor enclosures to protect them and keep them aligned. I was constantly bumping them with my floor jack or pressure washer which would knock the two out of alignment and prevent the garage door from closing. Got sick of this so now with the enclosures over them and screwed into the cement wall I can bump into them all I want!
MissAlyyTL (08-13-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 PM
OCD

While some of us are on the topic of ceramic tile I thought you might be interested in seeing my Kitchen floor install I did earlier this year. This was my first time tiling anything & despite all the research I did this was a much bigger (time consuming) project then I thought it was going to be. Took me several hours every night after work for about 2.5 weeks. However I took my time to do everything right (I hope).

Total material cost: ~$650
Experience & knowledge gained: Priceless

The Nasty vomit looking Vinyl floor that was done when we moved in. The floor was actually recently done but it had to go.

Cutting and putting the backer board down took the whole first weekend! Thinset under the backboard do it right!

Now find the center of the room and do a dry fit! We wanted diagonal regardless of how much "harder" it was supposed to be.

I bought a 40$ wet saw and made this little tool out of a yard stick which allowed me to mark every any cut I needed without using any type of measuring device.

I am very proud of this cut!

On to the grout then shoe molding!

DONE!!

Last edited by Roger555; 08-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 PM

Old 08-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Safety Car

Yes sir I will be doing this 2 weeks from now! As for the prep its definitely going to be less prep/work then tiling a floor which I did earlier this year.
After seeing the tile job you had to tackle I understand why. Whenever you have a subfloor and have to do backer-board, it's a lot more work.
For a level concrete slab,which I have, it's less prep to tile than to get the concrete ready for the painted floor. I like the painted floor look, but for me its much more cost/labor intensive than tiling.

Took me several hours every night after work for about 2.5 weeks...............
DONE!!
Outstanding job, you do excellent work
Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 PM
OCD

Well the epoxy floor project has commenced!

civicdrivr (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 PM

About how much is the epoxied floor costing you?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts

I still want to see this in person! NC meet at Roger's house!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:21 PM
OCD

About how much is the epoxied floor costing you?
So far

-$125 for the diamond sander rental with the diamond bit for the weekend.
-$275 for the 500sq ft epoxy kit which included everything to do the epoxy and flakes.

plus other stuff like plastic film, tape if you want to count that.
civicdrivr (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Looks like you're off to a good start.

In for more pictures, Roger.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
I can't wait to see how it turns out.. Keep up the good work!!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:54 PM
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry about not seeing the replies here.

Yes. Before I had the lift, I jacked the car up all the time on the tile. Properly installed on top of a concrete pad, it's no issue at all.

Even with the lift, there are some things I still have to use jack stands for. This is from when I was putting a new sheet of aluminum over the underbelly of the car.

Also, why does your name sound familiar? (directed at Jack Olsen)
Hard to say. I'm active on Garage Journal. I go to tracks in Southern California pretty frequently.
civicdrivr (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 10:20 AM

^
Old 09-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow...

One day Im going to have my own garage like this one. Jack Olsen and the OP garage is amazing, I love it.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM
OCD

Well lots and lots of grinding this weekend I even got carried away and did the front porch because it was very stained. Its too humid here now so the Epoxy will probably go down next weekend
Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 PM
flappy paddles

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
Shit. I was I was talented. Jealous of your garage. I don't even have a garage.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:29 PM
:what:

Received 348 Likes on 249 Posts
sub'd Awesome work!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:50 PM
OCD

Last week I decided all this work it would be stupid not to apply a clear protective top coat which is to be applied within 24 hours of the epoxy. Meaning my project was pushed out another week! I'm ordering it today so the floor is going down next weekend hopefully!

Add $ 240.00 to the project cost
Old 09-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Love the progress so far! Im looking forward to the finished results. Ive been debating if I should do epoxy floors in my garage for the longest time.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Good call on the clear topcoat. Waiting to see the garage finished.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Last week I decided all this work it would be stupid not to apply a clear protective top coat which is to be applied within 24 hours of the epoxy. Meaning my project was pushed out another week! I'm ordering it today so the floor is going down next weekend hopefully!

Add $ 240.00 to the project cost
Yes, you need to apply the clear projective top coat. It's a MUST!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:02 PM
OCD

Well last weekend it was too humid and rainy but I put the primer down this afternoon! Epoxy tonight and clear tomorrow. I'll have some pics early this week!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 PM
OCD

Alright guys seriously exhausted right now but here are some pics! Still need to move all my stuff back in and set it up so more to come later this week.

This is what I used

Epoxy Primer 4100 (http://www.garagecoatings.com/Produc...r%20Sealer.pdf)

Epoxy-Coat kit (Light Grey)
(http://www.epoxy-coat.com)
Polyurea 5073 Top Coat
(http://www.garagecoatings.com/Produc...%20Coating.pdf)

FLAKE BEFORE CLEAR

FLAKE AFTER CLEAR

The following 4 users liked this post by Roger555:
civicdrivr (09-23-2012), CLtotheTL32 (09-24-2012), lights (09-24-2012), unlimited (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Outstanding work Roger.

Damn, that's a lot of work, but wow!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:16 PM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
Oh my god.

I need to show my wife this thread and tell her this is what I want!!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 PM

Sweet shoes

Great job
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 PM
OCD

Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 PM

Wow, what a transformation
Old 09-25-2012, 05:14 AM
Instructor

Great and impressive job. I could use some of that skill on my crew, lol.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Quick Reply: Roger555 Official TL Garage build thread