Paint Shop screwed up my 'new' TL - Check it out - Comments welcome

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Shop screwed up my 'new' TL - Check it out - Comments welcome

I drive a WDP, Front bumper had scratches and had it painted today

- Is the Pearl part of the paint hard to duplicate?

The color is matched but quite flat. I don't see the pearl at all, compared to the hood.

Also the little bumps and knicks in the bumper, I thought they would have sanded those off, but they seem to be more transparent than before?

Would really appreciate the input, thanks~~~~~

Last edited by samplemonster; 12-24-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Bumpers never match metal pieces of the car. But I don't think they should be that far off either.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
You're the customer. You paid for it. If you're not happy with the work take it back.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Instructor

if the bumps and chips are still there, they didnt do any bodywork on it. just sprayed right over it. sometimes those chips are deep enough that u might need body filler or primer in them prior to paint. and yes my bumpers didnt match WDP until i got the whole car painted.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Instructor

The pearl part of the paint are the shiny dots that make the car look truly beautiful,

These guys totally fucked up the car, now that I look at it, They got paint over the xenon lamps, paint on the black grilles on left and right side, paint on the center bezel, and there's no pearl dots at all..

Pretty frustrated that they did this to my beloved TL, I'm going to fight for a full refund and some
Old 12-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Paint Shop f*cked up my 'new' TL - Check it out - Comments welcome

Pics of the f*ck monkey paint job
First, I apologize in advance for my anger & language in this thread, just bought a TL 6 weeks ago, had the front bumper painted to cover scratches & this is what they do.

Picked it up last night, but holy shit I'm real pissed off now, all these defects are more apparent as I see them in the day. I'm thinking of taking these f*cks to court.

Notice the paint smudged on
  • both headlamps
  • the grille
  • left and right black lower grille's
  • the cracks
  • and the shitty paint quality (looks non primered)
  • no pearl whatsoever
What would you do if they did this to your TL?
I'd like to hear your inputs, thanks!

Old 12-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Pics of the fuck monkey paint job

new thread made

Last edited by samplemonster; 12-25-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:42 PM
~Firefighter~

Ridiculous. Must be a terrible shop. I would take it back and demand they fix it all for free...maybe some reimbursement for making you give up your car for another couple days
Old 12-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Safety Car

Wow they were that lazy and painted it on the car?! WTF.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Should the bumps be smoothed out? There are what look like "acne scars" or "pits" all around the bumper that I never knew were there before. Shouldn't they have primered it first?

Job costed $350

Also would like to ask for referrals paint shops that can do "like-new" quality jobs in So Cal area without costing an arm and leg.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Safety Car

Bumper should be smooth. Wetsanded afterwards which they probably didn't really do well if at all.

A good bodyshop would have only charged you around $300 to do it right and take it off the car, at least here for quotes I have seen. Take it back, tell them to fix it. And show them you have documentation and can easily take them to court if needed.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Wow, wtf, the bumper should have been removed....

$250-$300 should get you a decent paint job. Get your money back, have them do it right, or get your money back and bring it elsewhere.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Newb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you paid your friend to paint it for you or something? Hard to believe a bodyshop will do such a terrible job. I'd go back and demand money back because of the crappy results.

Paint mismatch is normal, as the bumper and the rest of the body is of different material. But the fact they didnt bother taking off the bumper, didnt prime it before repaint to cover the scratches etc, and for the amount you paid for their service, its unacceptable.

Next time, do some research, like using yelp and see which nearby bodyshop is good.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:56 AM
socal WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow yeah why did they paint the bumper while it was still on the car haha
Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Instructor

i mean honestly it sucks and i know this is your brand new baby but you shouldnt over exaderate the situation. you cant bring them to court, that would be an epic waist of money and time on your part. all they did was paint the bumper on the car. they can take the bumper off and rub paint thinner on ur headlights and grille and get it off. maybe even on ur grille inserts. but worst case theyll just spray paint black on the grille inserts.

all they need to do is take the bumper off and tape it off better. do some better prep work and paint it again.

it def sucks that they did such a bad job but i would think if you go in there acting like an educated consumer that has experience with auto body work you will get further than going in their guns blazing. i have so much experience with body shops and the people that work there. they can be some of the skuzziest people ever. so i would handle it like the first way i mentioned.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Instructor

I'm going in there tomorrow morning,

Can you guys educate me on the step by step process a Good Paint Job for a TL?

From my understanding, it's:

1) Sand paint down as much as possible
2) Wet sand to further smooth
3) Apply Primer
4) Apply White Paint
5) Apply Pearl
6) Apply Clear Coat

Please correct me, so I can better make my case. I know some of these steps are wrong, I 'm just guessing
Old 12-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Also:
You can't just paint the grille's like you would normally paint a bumper, b/c the grille's are plastic right? I don't know if they can be trusted to do this.

Also, do they have to strip the "shit" paint from the bumper first before starting over? I'm afraid they will just paint over it.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by samplemonster
Also, do they have to strip the "shit" paint from the bumper first before starting over? I'm afraid they will just paint over it.
I hear ya. My CPO WDP bumper came off the dealer's lot looking WORSE then yours, I feel your pain. Regarding your question...

Not unless specified. Most reputable shops would recommend a new bumper altogether as the undercoat can play hell with a tri-color pearl, particularly with respect to adhesion, in the NJ/PA area I can't get it done by a GOOD shop for less then $500. Wet sanding is more for fine finishing, leveling usually is done dry around 120-grit with a blocksander.

The cracks occured due to surface contamination followed by a high-build up without allowing the previous coat to flash off. Normally, you'd stop painting, sand, level, then repaint. They did not. Instead, they blasted right over it, which creates the illusion of fill until the VOCs flash off, and BOOM, too late.

They will have to sand it to prep the peice, but they absolutley will be painting over. They did not do an RnR job, which is Remove and Reinstall (or something); they taped, albeit poorly at that, and dicked you HARRRRRRD.

Some more points to piss you off - they painted using improper nozzle/air settings for the paint, and your orange peel finish screams of this fact. This is typically done when they are rushing a job since, well, lower setting mean higher cycle time, which means less jobs done per day. You DON'T have a pearlcoat. You'd see it if you did.

In short, here's what they did:
-Taped off
-Sanded quickly
-Repainted fast (I'll wager no primer was used) w/o fully prepping
-Took off paint
-Billed you
Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
One other point, I would LOVE to know where in the hell you guys are getting $300 for a PROPER RnR job with a tri-stage bumper. I don't buy it.

Secondly, taking a bodyshop to court is NOT as easy as it sounds. It is a major, time consuming ordeal, even though it's a slam dunk case. Before anything, he has to approach the shop to fix the job and allow the recourse prior to elevation to monetary recovery in the civil circuit.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
I can't get it done by a GOOD shop for less then $500. W

Yeah i called around LA shops which are also very expensive,

The proper places like hiqualityauto (alhambra) want $700 to strip the paint to the bare black bumper and repaint. This was my first paint job, I had no clue they costed this much

If I knew it would cost this much I would've just gotten the A-spec front lip which would've covered most of my scratches, what a dumbass mistake I made by listening to dad to get this shit painted
Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 AM
I need a car in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
um...TL autobody in el monte does it for under 300 for a tri step bumper paint job, they take off the bumper to paint also not on the car. i had it done on my old car. going to get my tl front end completely redone when im ready with them also when the times come.

so it is possble to find a proper paint job for under 300
Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Pro

BAH HAHAHAHA! Whats retards. they are supposed to take the bumper off of the car and to paint it so things like that don't happen. Also it doesnt look like they did any sanding prior to paint. What shit heads.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts

Damn they butchered that shit.

I'm sticking around this thread to see what happens
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Wow what place was this? So I know never to take my car there lol

That is a horrible freakin paint job. Looks like Maaco style or Earl Scheib they didn't even take the bumper off...

I paid around $400-450 for my front bumper repaint when I had it done. Hard to say cause I had a few things done at once so they knocked some prices down for me.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Instructor

thats a janky job for a painter.. to be honest i would ask them to redo it...that wouldn't pass for oem at all.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
When you pulled up to pick up your car, where they sleeping under it? Those be the laziest mofos I've ever seen! The bumper takes all of 10 minutes to take off and all of those parts just clip out. Sad...Sad shop you took it to.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Well

Here's the deal:

I got into this not knowing how much good paint jobs costed: Calling around 4.5-5star rated Yelp body shops, they all quoted me between $600-700 with life guarantee on the paint.

The place I took it to heard my complaint, and the owner apologized profusely for the errors, and said he would redo the entire thing.

He got rid of that one crack in the picture which my finger is pointing to, and repainted the black grille's. They slightly scratched my rt side xenon trying to remove the paint. There's still some orange peel, but at this point, I'm convinced they just have no idea how to paint cars, they redid it and many of the problems are still there. I shouldn't have expected more for $350 but at this point.

Should've just gotten the A-specs to cover 95% of the scratches for less. Damn! what was i thinking!

i'll post pictures of the final work later

Originally Posted by thait
um...TL autobody in el monte does it for under 300 for a tri step bumper paint job, they take off the bumper to paint also not on the car. i had it done on my old car. going to get my tl front end completely redone when im ready with them also when the times come.

so it is possble to find a proper paint job for under 300
hey bud, if you could send us before and after pics of this work, I'm sure many on this forum would appreciate that. Please keep us posted.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
that looks really bad ... it's not WDP ... it's simply creamy white
Old 12-30-2009, 02:29 AM
PHUCKING PHUCKER

i like to call the "bumps" F.L.A.

Fat
Lady's
Ass

a.k.a. cottage cheese, a.k.a. cellulite, a.k.a. orange peel

whoever painted it mustve been the shop apprentice. fuck those guys. get your money back and get it done at another shop
Old 12-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Kro
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
VERY BAD WORK! i hope you can get some resolution.

did you guys know that to get the best quality paint job, where they take every part of your car off that they possibly can and paint it that way, costs about $5,000? at least at the best shop by me it does. keep that in mind when you get a quote from a place.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM
AKA WalkerUA6

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Damn, thats horrible. If I owned that body shop I would have just taken the bumper off. It would be alot easier and CLEANER job then taping the entire car off. However it is a pretty easy clean up but still. post the name of the shop so no one goes to them
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
dude get your money back and run the fuck away from that place! dont let them touch your car again, it's not worth it cuz they'll probably fuck something else up. that's the worst paint job i've ever seen!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
A lot of old timers insist on painting the bumper installed because they thought the paint would crack from over flexing it. Probably in this case they were just lazy.

That has to be the worst paid for body work I have ever seen. That is just plain awful.

Hope you get what you want after this is all said and done.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 AM
ppsssshhhhhhhhh

Damn talk about some cheapskates who does lowsy jobs,
who thinks they could get away.........
man i would get my money back and complain hahhaha.
I feel you, just wanted to get the job done huh?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
what a job...! lol terrible! i'd ask for your money back...can you imagine how they'd treat your car after you forcing them to redo it?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:23 AM
knightrydaTL

yo u better get ur money back kid.............
Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Driver Mod

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
White is the hardest color to color match correctly.
The addition of a pearl makes it that much harder.

I would reccomend biting the bullet and getting the work done correctly at an authorized acura shop. They will use the correct flex additive needed for the bumpers as well.

Its gonna be 3-4 times what you paid, but it will be done correctly.
I had the same problem with my first 300ZX.

Sorry to hear about your situation...that sux
Old 01-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
people are saying they can get a good pearl paintjob for only 300? when we had my moms lexus bumper painted it cost 3x that much. its ALOT. i would be weary of a place that says they would actually take their time to take the bumper off, do FULL prep, and spray awesome paint for only 300.

and yes. to the person who said a quality paintjob can cost 5k, its very true. on older cars stripping everything is very hard and time consuming but newer cars are that much more complex with electronics and all that. most shops would avoid doing a true full paint job because its nearly impossible to pull everything and put it back perfectly
Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Pro

Yea those jerks just made it harder for the next shop to repaint. What noobs. I guess you could take them to court if they don't give you your money back, but what a pain. You yourself could have done a better job painting that.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:37 PM
KoolKatz..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HiHenry.com
that looks really bad ... it's not WDP ... it's simply creamy skeet skeet white

Oh noooo you shouldn't have gone Macco....

Quick Reply: Paint Shop screwed up my 'new' TL - Check it out - Comments welcome