NBP/WDP: Eat your heart out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:30 PM
2006 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBP/WDP: Eat your heart out.

-lol- Truth is I like both of those colors - just tired of seeing every damn detail [wash/clay bar/wax/polish] job be a NBP/WDP.

So I got to FL from NYC about a week and a half ago. I decided that my car was DISGUSTING from all the road grime, rock chips, and GOD FORSAKEN lovebugs and decided to wash it. Regular hand wash (no detail). Truth is I have no idea how to detail. I had some time the other day and began to read up on the Wash/Wax threads regarding proper washing, claying, and waxing techniques... summed it all up into bullet points... took a drive over to Wal-Mart... picked up my supplies... and got to work.

I started @ 7:00pm yesterday and finished around 11:20pm. An hour ago, I added a coat of spray wax. There's good news and bad news, however.
Good News: The car is cleaner than it's ever been.
Bad News: I don't want to drive it anywhere now!
lol I went to lunch with some friends today that I ALWAYS meet up but I called them and had them pick me up. (In their massive, ridiculously large and unnecessary Hummer) When I showed them why they picked me up they laughed and started taking bets on how quickly it's going to get all those lovebugs back on it. OK - enough crappin around... pic time!

P.S. I'm gonna try to take other pics elsewhere (more scenic) later today/tomorrow.

hehehe...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:41 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hahahaha...You lookin' good there Joey! Real nice! I will do that one of these days! My paint is real nice, probably blind my ass!

P.S. - I know you took your NBP pic off of the Apple Desktop just for these pics! We ain't gonna tell! Our lil secret!
Old 05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn that seems like a hell of a drive, your car is in pretty good condition for being driven that far! I have about 7k miles on my car and the car has never been on the highway because i dont want rock chips. Well anyways you car looks great, good job with the deatail.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:46 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
nice....what happened to a-spec wheels?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
Yeah, you saw the badge too huh? LOL! I cut him a break on that one, but since you brought it up...????????
Old 05-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Holy large pics but good detailing job
Old 05-21-2007, 11:33 PM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
Nice...
Gracias...

Originally Posted by darksom1
Hahahaha...You lookin' good there Joey! Real nice! I will do that one of these days! My paint is real nice, probably blind my ass!

P.S. - I know you took your NBP pic off of the Apple Desktop just for these pics! We ain't gonna tell! Our lil secret!
LOL AAACCCTTUUUUAALLY - I was messing around with iPhoto earlier and in an attempt to edit a picture I made my car black. I was gonna post it to give someone a good laugh.. but I was like uhhhh no... (Shhh) hahaha

Originally Posted by Xx06SickspdTlxX
Damn that seems like a hell of a drive, your car is in pretty good condition for being driven that far! I have about 7k miles on my car and the car has never been on the highway because i dont want rock chips. Well anyways you car looks great, good job with the deatail.
Oh man, tell me about it. If i had to rate the condition of my car on a 1-10 scale I'd give it a 7. Why? Well, I didnt photograph the rock chips on the hood, the scratch on the front bumper, the HORRIBLE scraping of the right front rim (thanks to my brother who cant park - but it happens), oh - and that picture of the domed decal straight on? That's not dirt - that's chipping. I'm surprised no one noticed the busted (or cracked) tail light and the slight dent on the hood. Oh NY is a beautiful place, but it's not car-friendly.

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
Originally Posted by darksom1
Yeah, you saw the badge too huh? LOL! I cut him a break on that one, but since you brought it up...????????
NY happened to them. I was ready to get them as part of the deal for the car but I decided that (a) they're too pretty to allow them to touch NY roads, and (b) that they were too expensive to touch NY roads lol. I'm actually planning on mounting Advan Model T5 Chromes on there hopefully soon. But when I go back to NY, those babies are taking up space in my garage!

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Holy large pics but good detailing job
Thanx. My wrist actually hurts from it to be honest. My g/f says it's from playing too much Nintendo Wii, but she's just bitter bc I'm the tennis champion! lol
Old 05-21-2007, 11:46 PM
My Daily Driver

WOW!!!

That looks great!

But.......being an NBP owner, there are two things that I noticed.....
1) a few bug gut remnants on the front bumper noticeable in the head-on shot
2) you forgot to clean the exhaust tips.....gotta get those things blingin!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
what is wrong with the left rear taillight, or is it just a reflection of something.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:53 PM
2006 TL

^^ Bug gut remnants! hahaha! I WISH! Unfortunately, that's paint chipping from driving through 2 strips of highway (one in VA, another in SC) with rough pavement due to construction. I left a LOT of room b/t the car in front of me and myself in both circumstances and what happens? Some asshole decides to cut me off and send rocks FLYING toward my car. I was really mad.

How do you clean the exhaust tips? That crossed my mind but i was like
Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Lookin' good, JoeyASPEC. Four hours is a good amount of time to spend detailing a car. The good news is if you keep the car relatively clean, you won't have to spend as much time each time after that.

Leave it to the Mac user to take a picture of their Mac with a picture of a car as the desktop. (I'm a Mac user and have done this numerous times myself)
Old 05-21-2007, 11:59 PM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by THTL
what is wrong with the left rear taillight, or is it just a reflection of something.
THIS.

Hence the reason I shot the side profile using the right side of the car. While my car was parked, a truckbed hit the tail light by the signal light in NY. I'm replacing it this week. I wasn't upset though. Well, not majorly. It was a truckbed... could've been worse!

PS - I used my dad's [crappy] camera for these, as my camera died and is charging... sry.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:10 AM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by brettallica
Lookin' good, JoeyASPEC. Four hours is a good amount of time to spend detailing a car. The good news is if you keep the car relatively clean, you won't have to spend as much time each time after that.

Leave it to the Mac user to take a picture of their Mac with a picture of a car as the desktop. (I'm a Mac user and have done this numerous times myself)
lol had to throw that one in there. Yeah I knew it was gonna take a WHILE, especially with it being my 1st time and all, but I'm a perfectionist so I didn't mind. Funny story - while I was claying the car I had the radio on (blasting) and the headlight/taillights on. I got around to the back of the car and thought to myself "Why the hll is my taillight so dark?" Immediately after that i said "SHIT! The battery!!" [Airhead moment] I quickly turned off the car and tried to turn it back on. Totally dead. I knew it wasnt a big deal as I still had about 1.5 hour left til being done. When I was done I put the key in the ignition, flicked my wrist and vuala! It turned on like normal. This weeks been an eventful week for me in the battery department. The Toyota Avalon (in the background of some pics above) that belongs to my aunt died the other day and I had to jump start it. Died again... so we got it a new battery... Then later on I'm pulling out of Wal-Mart, where I'd just purchased the new battery, and this guy knocked on my window asking if I could jump his car for him. You'd think after those instances I would've been aware of leaving the key in the Accessory position with teh lights on and radio blasting. Go figure.

Anyway... any tips on how to keep it clean so it doesn't take AS long next time?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:58 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Very nice!!

except for the dirty tailpipes
Old 05-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by JoeyASPEC
lol had to throw that one in there. Yeah I knew it was gonna take a WHILE, especially with it being my 1st time and all, but I'm a perfectionist so I didn't mind. Funny story - while I was claying the car I had the radio on (blasting) and the headlight/taillights on. I got around to the back of the car and thought to myself "Why the hll is my taillight so dark?" Immediately after that i said "SHIT! The battery!!" [Airhead moment] I quickly turned off the car and tried to turn it back on. Totally dead. I knew it wasnt a big deal as I still had about 1.5 hour left til being done. When I was done I put the key in the ignition, flicked my wrist and vuala! It turned on like normal. This weeks been an eventful week for me in the battery department. The Toyota Avalon (in the background of some pics above) that belongs to my aunt died the other day and I had to jump start it. Died again... so we got it a new battery... Then later on I'm pulling out of Wal-Mart, where I'd just purchased the new battery, and this guy knocked on my window asking if I could jump his car for him. You'd think after those instances I would've been aware of leaving the key in the Accessory position with teh lights on and radio blasting. Go figure.

Anyway... any tips on how to keep it clean so it doesn't take AS long next time?
No tips per se, but basically what I meant was that once you have a nice, clean car as a palette, and if you maintain its cleanliness, each time you wash it, it'll be easy to detail-out. You won't need to do the major overhaul as often because the car will already be pretty dang clean. I keep my car so clean it's not even funny. I actually keep a little tacklebox type tray thing in the trunk with all my favorite detailing products.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I've only had UPPS on for 2 days now, but was already impressed with the lack of dirt on it after driving around on it for a day.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
My Daily Driver

that sucks. My bumper looks just as bad.

For the exhaut tips, use Eagle One Wadding Polish. It comes in a tin can that looks like a giant sterno can. you can get it at autozone or any of those places. Grab a chunk of wadding, scrub a bit, let it dry to a haze then wipe off with a cotton or MF towel.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Your car is crying for a water sand... look at all those orange peels on your paint

Nice type-s tails and sidemarkers though

Old 05-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
Awesome color and detail! I still love the style of that wheel. If it was an 18-19" with a brighter sparkle silver they would look fantastic! Great ride Bro!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:18 PM
2006 TL

^^Thx! Yeah I like the wheels WHEN THEY'RE CLEAN. Some kid the other day was like "NICE RIMS! ARE THOSE AFTERMARKET??" No. He was in shock lol.

Yohan: What orange peels? Those are little fibers from the chamois or w/e it's called. Or maybe the lighting? Def no orange peels (I just looked @ my door in person and ran my hand through it and it seemed to be debris/fibers).

PS
I just got home from work and only had ONE lovebug on my car! I was like HOLY CRAP THAT'S IT?!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^Thx! Yeah I like the wheels WHEN THEY'RE CLEAN. Some kid the other day was like "NICE RIMS! ARE THOSE AFTERMARKET??" No. He was in shock lol.

Yohan: What orange peels? Those are little fibers from the chamois or w/e it's called. Or maybe the lighting? Def no orange peels (I just looked @ my door in person and ran my hand through it and it seemed to be debris/fibers).

PS
I just got home from work and only had ONE lovebug on my car! I was like HOLY CRAP THAT'S IT?!

i think he means the way your paint looks like it is rough, like a orange peel
Old 05-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Trucki!!

holy orange peel

help your car!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
2006 TL

OHHH i didnt know he meant an ACTUAL orange. It feels perfectly smooth and looks good, so i'm not bitchin.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its gonna feel smooth due to clear coat. But your paint should all be smooth on every layer.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Can You Feel It?

Very nice and clean. The constrast of the car is great, I love setup!

for some reason I been seeing people with more of those windshield washer single blade nowaday...I got the piaa super silicone not too long ago but these look pretty nice.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:21 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Joey I think you can easily keep your tailpipes clean just by giving them a once over when you wash your car. That's what I do and they are very clean. Nothing special I do, just that.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 PM
AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
seen you on the gcp before u were heading east i was heading west
Old 05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

looking real good there.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:30 PM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by chicken1
seen you on the gcp before u were heading east i was heading west
cool beans... yeah I'm back in FL for now but when I'm in NY i go to Long Island every Thursday.

--and thx for all the other comments guys... i havent been on that much lately bc i just got a new job and my schedule lacks much free time but the job's worth it =)