From MRP 5A/T to ASM 6M/T TL-S thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:27 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
From MRP 5A/T to ASM 6M/T TL-S thread

Hey guys, back in October 2016, I bought this https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-s-mrp-950459/ from a member here, great guy by the way.

Eventually sold it to my cousin who was back from military duty and needed a car. Was loving the car, and I was not gonna let it go without finding a replacement TL-S.

Here it is.. Found her on Craigslist in Maryland and had to drive 3.5 hours down to get her. Was owned by a nice lady, first owner, low miles, and her husband worked for an Acura dealership!

Brought her home..

Car is stock! except for an ATLP J-Pipe I think, I took a look down there while doing an oil change the other day. Clutch feels new still, and need to do TB/WT job soon.

Is it me or is it a car characteristic that the TL-S Manual engages a little different? I have never driven a TL or TL-S manual ever and me and my bro in law was thinking it is a little weird when we picked it up, I had a RSX-S and a Civic Si back in the days, and this definitely feels a little different, when you shift 1-2, the rev "hangs" a little and although I can get it to shift and engage smoothly now, it is not the same "Honda" Manual transmission feel that I am used to.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:36 AM
Instructor

I did some small maintenance stuff the other day, hard to work on a car during winter time.

Changed out the PCV valve to a new OEM one.

I can't believe how dirty the Air Filter is..

I took a shot of the gearbox, she mentioned that the transmission was replaced under goodwill warranty back in 2012 because of the 3rd gear. Not sure if it was totally replaced or just rebuilt..
It shift smoothly now but I will probably change out the fluid soon, OEM Honda or GM Synchromesh, I remember when I had my Civic Si that I change the MTF at least once a year to keep the shifts smooth.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the TL is one of the HARDEST cars to master it's clutch.
dont feel bad, it took me a MONTH to get the hang of it. I had buyers remorse throughout that whole month...like...DID I JUST FUCKIN BUY THE WRONG CAR!??!?!
but once you master the clutch, you'll be golden.

Dont be fooled on how new it feels. one of the reasons why its a hard clutch to master, is because there is a dual mass fly wheel.
this dual mass fly wheel dampens vibrations and also hides certain characteristics you would want in a manual transmission. this dual mass fly wheel automatically adjust as it slips, so it WILL ALWAYS feel brand new right up until it fails.
The following users liked this post:
Si_jeff (01-09-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Did they do any maintenance at all? That filter is disgusting!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
That filter looks like it was never changed. For tranny fluid go GM Synchromesh - this stuff is awesome for honda / acuras transmissions.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Gumball Rally Special

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Fresh & new looking on the outside, years of forgotten maintenance on the inside

It sounds like this Type-S is lucky to have a great new owner like you. Congrats on your new car!
Si_jeff (01-09-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
rev hang feeling is also due to the check valve in the slave cylinder. lots of people on here remove the check valve. search the forum and you'll find a DIY link for it. it's pretty easy and makes the shifting feel more normal
Si_jeff (01-09-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
the TL is one of the HARDEST cars to master it's clutch.
dont feel bad, it took me a MONTH to get the hang of it. I had buyers remorse throughout that whole month...like...DID I JUST FUCKIN BUY THE WRONG CAR!??!?!
but once you master the clutch, you'll be golden.

Dont be fooled on how new it feels. one of the reasons why its a hard clutch to master, is because there is a dual mass fly wheel.
this dual mass fly wheel dampens vibrations and also hides certain characteristics you would want in a manual transmission. this dual mass fly wheel automatically adjust as it slips, so it WILL ALWAYS feel brand new right up until it fails.
I agree! After owning the car for about a week, this is what I said the 3rd day, it it me or did I suddenly forgot how to drive stick? Lol Ok, so my understanding this is a self adjusting clutch plate/flywheel.. Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Did they do any maintenance at all? That filter is disgusting!
Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
That filter looks like it was never changed. For tranny fluid go GM Synchromesh - this stuff is awesome for honda / acuras transmissions.
Originally Posted by Lie-Low
Fresh & new looking on the outside, years of forgotten maintenance on the inside

It sounds like this Type-S is lucky to have a great new owner like you. Congrats on your new car!
Thanks! What baffles me is this, Carfax report shows REGULAR maintenance done on this car, in fact it shows it was just serviced at that Acura dealership back in November, previous owner said it went in for an oil change. I went ahead and drained the oil and filled it with Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 weight oil, I am 100% sure the oil that came out was dirty, and was not changed back in November. So I don't know what the deal is with that dealer. Plus, the husband works at that dealership in the sales dept.! Perhaps, he's getting screwed by the service dept. and the techs working there.. Here's another shot of the air filter, I bet this was not changed ever..

Ok, this makes a lot more sense, I did a quick read of the DIY and I can't wait to do this and take out the slave check valve. Thanks!

Originally Posted by sockr1
rev hang feeling is also due to the check valve in the slave cylinder. lots of people on here remove the check valve. search the forum and you'll find a DIY link for it. it's pretty easy and makes the shifting feel more normal

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-09-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

I would avoid that dealership at all costs... Even though the carfax says the services were completed, doesn't mean they actually were. Dealerships, or stealerships, have been known to not complete work but still collect money for the job.
Si_jeff (01-09-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Instructor

^^ Definitely!

I have a quick question on the starter motor of the TL 6spd, on the 5a/t , I used to just turn-over the key once and the starter "automatically" does the cranking until the engine starts up, same as in the mdx. On the TL 6spd, it is different as I turn the key and hold it and it cranks the engine until it starts up. Is this the normal characteristic of all TL Manuals?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-09-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 01-09-2017, 09:30 AM
Safety Car

I have always held the key in both my old 5at and current 6mt.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I have always held the key in both my old 5at and current 6mt.
I believe the one click auto start is only available in 07-08 AT TL.
Si_jeff (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Upon reading further about the starter, yes "truong" is right, it is only on the 07/08 AT TL.. this feature almost feels like the current "push button" start on most newer cars, a push of a button starts the car, for this , one turn or flip of the key also starts the car on the 07/08 TL A/T..
Old 04-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Just an update - have not driven this car since I bought it back in January, had it registered just the other day. Visit to Paul-NJ mechanic for a quick check-up, needs TB job, PS pump is leaking, valve cover gaskets, and might as well do a valve adjustment since engine is a little noisy when warmed up.

Also, just noticed that the clutch is slipping starting in 3rd gear when accelerating hard. What a bummer. I have to do research now on Clutches, any of you guys recommend? Paul said to search for anything stage 1 as a slight upgrade instead of going OEM, I am leaning towards OEM , what can you guys recommend?

I also have a question on the J-Pipe, I have a ATLP J pipe and my cousin wants it, I am wiling to swap out his OEM J pipe but his car is Auto TL-S, are both J pipe the same part number? I cross referenced OEM acura parts and they are not the same part numbers, one ends if A52 and the other ends with A62.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

I don't know much about clutches, but will be interested to hear what others have to say so I know what to do when the time comes for me.

I have found out that if the part numbers are different the two parts will not be swappable. There must have been a significant amount of change to create a new part number. Just my
Old 04-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
I don't know much about clutches, but will be interested to hear what others have to say so I know what to do when the time comes for me.

I have found out that if the part numbers are different the two parts will not be swappable. There must have been a significant amount of change to create a new part number. Just my
Afaik one of the hangars is different. Might be able to have an exhaust shop make it work.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:48 AM
UA6MT

Received 252 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Si_jeff
Just an update - have not driven this car since I bought it back in January, had it registered just the other day. Visit to Paul-NJ mechanic for a quick check-up, needs TB job, PS pump is leaking, valve cover gaskets, and might as well do a valve adjustment since engine is a little noisy when warmed up.

Also, just noticed that the clutch is slipping starting in 3rd gear when accelerating hard. What a bummer. I have to do research now on Clutches, any of you guys recommend? Paul said to search for anything stage 1 as a slight upgrade instead of going OEM, I am leaning towards OEM , what can you guys recommend?

I also have a question on the J-Pipe, I have a ATLP J pipe and my cousin wants it, I am wiling to swap out his OEM J pipe but his car is Auto TL-S, are both J pipe the same part number? I cross referenced OEM acura parts and they are not the same part numbers, one ends if A52 and the other ends with A62.
All j pipes are the same. You can change them with no fitment issues.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Great, thanks guys. Just had new tires installed earlier today together with an Aspec 18" I picked up from an older gentleman in south NJ, they were in good condition. Wow, car rides so smooth with the new rubbers, and drives great on the highway. I am excited! Will post pics soon..

If anybody is interested, I will be selling the stock 17" waffle wheels. They are in Great condition.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Si_jeff
Great, thanks guys. Just had new tires installed earlier today together with an Aspec 18" I picked up from an older gentleman in south NJ, they were in good condition. Wow, car rides so smooth with the new rubbers, and drives great on the highway. I am excited! Will post pics soon..

If anybody is interested, I will be selling the stock 17" waffle wheels. They are in Great condition.
nice pick up on the aspecs!
what tires did you end up buying?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyGuti
nice pick up on the aspecs!
what tires did you end up buying?
I got the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S in 255-40-18 , the tires are a bit wide than I expected, I want to sell these tires and get another one but it will be a big loss on my part