Loooong time ef/da owner jumping into a '08 CBP TL-S!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
That sucks that you were mislead. You're actually the first person I've heard of that isn't satisfied with the Tein Advance setup, however, your arguments make perfect sense. Research the ISC N1 coilovers that XLR8 sells. They have a fully-threaded shock body and are 32-way adjustable. You can also choose from three different spring rates. Given your last post, I think you'd be very satisfied with them.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
no real updates. just really enjoying this car. i know boooooooo and boring, and it wont get this thread bumped, but that was kinda the plan from the word go....a really nice hassle free cruiser (plus the wife and i bought another project, lol), BUT, on my home yesterday i noticed a click, click, click while i was driving. i figured i picked up a nail or something as the tires are spent and dont have enough tread to grab rocks. got home and took a look to find this nice bolt protruding...awesome.

its close to the outside treadblock and a lot of places wont repair a tire that far on the outside. So as i sit there staring at this screw/bolt thingy im getting pissed as i have much better things to buy right now other than a set of tires for this car when i could have got through the summer with the goodyears easy. i turn around to get back in the car and i see something out the corner of my eye.

im at a loss cause i have NOT ordered any tires since the 5 i got for the van. i stand there in disbelief and confused as hell. im sure i had a real nice look on my face. i walk up to get a closer look, saw the brand, and it dawns on me...

i had seen something trolling around nittos site about being a "test driver" for a select group of Nitto tires that have recently been released. they asked for a short letter as to why i believed my car and myself would be a good canidate for the review. i put together a few paragraphs, and the 2 pix they requested (a regular pic and one of the vehicles plaqard) back. i waited 2-3 months and hadnt heard anything, so i deleted all the info and forgot about it. well, sure as shit, thats what these tires are for. i was speechless, lol.

they are 235/40/17 nitto nt05's. they are nittos version of a ST (street tire) tire for all the autox classes in the ST group. in a nutshell, its a class that requires that your tires are 140 or greater treadwear. ive ran a handful of nitto tires, and anyone who knows me knows im a huge advocate of many of nittos tires. so writing reviews of thier tires will hopefully be easy, but honestly, ive never done anything like this.

there are stimpulations involved, but i cant remember all of them, but i seem to recall that an alignment spec sheet is required. if thats the case, i might have to spend some money on a front camberkit as my camber up front is -.01 & -.02 out of spec according to hondas factory specs. VERY close to within stock specs, but i have no idea how much of a stickler thier going to be.

either way, im really suprised i havent received any mails or anything from nitto, so i suppose i need to call them and get specifics before i get them mounted to make sure i can comply 100%. i know a few of you have done this for nitto and other companies. any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
235/40/17?

That's awesome timing! I thought you were gonna say your wife (if married) bought them for ya!

Can u post your review here as well?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
New rubber....FTW!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 705 Likes on 538 Posts
Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Instructor

^^^ exactly how i feel hahaha.

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
235/40/17?

That's awesome timing! I thought you were gonna say your wife (if married) bought them for ya!

Can u post your review here as well?
i (thought) i requested the 255/40/17, but im not complaining about free tires.

and honestly, buying tires is something the wife would do, but our money is being funneled into a different project right now. so that didnt really come to mind.

and yes, most definitely will be posting the reviews here as well as a few other forums i frequent. will also be sending same info and pix to nitto. not positive what thier going to do with the info though.

got'em on the car today. didnt get to enjoy them as i picked up the car during the 5 oclock. hoping to get out later for a good heat cycle. however, they are just a bit smaller...makes me want my car lower

lol, anyone want some tein advances with almost 3k miles on them and a edfc kit that was never installed??? only driven in the rain twice and it was not by choice
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Bird is the Word

Received 975 Likes on 632 Posts
Perfect timing on the tires. The car is looking great! PM sent about the coils.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 PM
oops is that your face?

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts
what size tires are u running in the b+w pics u posted?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Instructor

^^^ 235/45/17's.

got tires installed. first thing i noticed is how much quieter they are. not sure if thats just a old vs new tire thing. every time i was setting up to rail a corner on the way home from install, a pedestrian (3 damn times ) jumped out into the road and thwarted all attempts to enjoy my drive. parked it and weather moved in. woke up next morning and it was raining. car stays in garage when it rains cause im an anal bastard like that.

got up this morning and it was nice. on the 6 minute, 2 mile drive i got to rail one corner i know well into work. it was badass and stuck like glue. parked and felt tires and all four had heat...it was only 48 degrees out. was happy with that.

tomorrow, wife and i are running the car at a local autox for the first time. hoping we can keep up with all the civics and miatas in our ST bump class.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Instructor

crap, forgot to post my review on here. its at work, so i can post tomorrow.

in the meantime, ive actually raced the big pig a few times and thought id share a few pix and a vid. nothing special, but better than nothing.

at a local autox:

then this last weekend at a hillclimb. this is up at our local ski resort. i wasnt planning on running, but a friend let me rip his civic up the hill a few times and it got my blood boiling for a little more, so i said fuck it and ran the tl.

heres a vid from a cam attached to my helmet. run was slow and sloppy as hell, and my lines were garbage, but i cant huck this car around like im used to doing. was still fun though and this was my best run. pic above was taken when the video is at 1:05 for a reference.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 78 Posts
Don't know what it is about a mostly stocked but lowered CBP type S but it's just sexy as f***
Old 03-07-2022, 02:15 PM
Instructor

sadly, ive got bored with this car and toying with the idea of selling it. kbb says private party value is just shy of 13k. the car hasnt changed much at all other than mileage which is right around 85k. my wife found a way to curb the last wheel that had no scratches on it so now they all have matching curb rash, yay wife! could i really expect to get around 12-13k for it? would it be better to put it back to stock before trying to sell? it could be stock in a couple of hours. just looking for advice on the best way to get a little money back on the ole gal. we are the second owners of this car and we have ALL service records and receipts for everything since it left the dealer.

quick backstory, i bought this car when my wife and i were trying to start a family. i just wanted a nice (and nice looking) car with more updated safety features than our shit box civics. well we tried to start a family until my wife just couldnt take the heartbreak any longer. since we found out we cant knock her up the car has been my wifes daily and shes been handicapped since 2017, so miles have obviously been quite minimal. it hasnt been driven in any kind of weather other than a light rain 2-3 times. it hasnt seen snow or slush of any kind since us owning it. its sits on a battery tender during winter months. weve autoxed this car 2-3 times and ran it up 2 local hillclimbs (at about 80%). the car will never hang with our little cars, so we didnt really push the issue. its an amazing car, we just dont use it and i feel bad it sits so much.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I think you can get 12-13K easily in this market. Especially with the low mileage, and having all the service records. 12000 for a car is pretty much nothing nowadays.
The following 4 users liked this post by The_head:
nist7 (03-08-2022), Pair of TLs (03-10-2022), shenrie (03-08-2022), truonghthe (03-09-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Best bet is to sell privately or go to carmax. Carmax will give you more money for a stock car than a modified one. Private party will get your more money for the mods vs taking them off and going with stock stuff (if you still have the stock parts).

Here's wholesale pricing but you'll see that one TL for 19K with low miles...

Old 03-10-2022, 08:00 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
I got raped when I bought mine last December. Market is insane.