"DIY" home depot lip

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems like everyone that seems to be doing this is very young, i've seen 19 a lot. Its not a big shock since usually the younger you are the less money you have and on that point you are damn lucky to have yourself a TL at that age alone. Its understandable that youre young and want to do some mods to your nice car, but if you cant afford to do it right, dont do it at all. Leave these kinds of mods for the kias.

You want cheap mods?
driver door key hole delete
led lighting
painted calipers
accord fogs
lip spoiler
diy clear/smoked headlights
nav hack

the list goes on and on of things you can do that will set your car apart without defaming it. However, in the end its your car so do what you want with it, but dont come on this site posting stuff like this and think that people are going to aplaud it. I can appreciate the creativity, but some things just belong else where (in this case, a garage door).
Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Please apply some tire shine on your tires, not on this weird crap.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
well i like it aint the best lip but its diferent its not gonna last long but i dont think someone should decide wat looks good or wat should be on the site when it really comes down is that its ur car and to eachther own every one is jus a hater when tim did his tl which is sick no oness said anythin

i say it looks good
Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it seems to be 50/50 on this thread. i think this mod has a functional use... to protect the lip from getting scratched!! i just got my lip repainted from a huge scratch from turning into a wendys drive through. it wasn't long, before i slightly scatched it again from a parking block/guard. i think the mod looks nice, its barely noticeable. some people OD on cheap mods like the gutter guard from home depot, but i think this doesn't attract much attention. and if it protects my lip i would use it.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by aspecallday
well i like it aint the best lip but its diferent its not gonna last long but i dont think someone should decide wat looks good or wat should be on the site when it really comes down is that its ur car and to eachther own every one is jus a hater when tim did his tl which is sick no oness said anythin

i say it looks good
Punctuation FTW.

And just to clarify because this word seems to be thrown around this site very loosely......

Hater (n) : A person of discernment, with good taste and/or sound ethics, who sees clearly the degenerate, embarrassing, destructive, trite, self-serving, stupid, poor quality, and/or offensive nature of a person, a behavior, a product or a social trend, and says so.

I will take being called a "hater" as a compliment, thank you.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by aspecallday

i say it looks good
people hate on other peoples stuff because they cant afford it themselves, not the other way around.

hating on a $10 mod that I could easily do my self? I think not. Anyone want to try and make a garage door seal rear lip too? es veddddddy nissssssssssseeeeeee
Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JMillerUA6
Punctuation FTW.

And just to clarify because this word seems to be thrown around this site very loosely......

Hater (n) : A person of discernment, with good taste and/or sound ethics, who sees clearly the degenerate, embarrassing, destructive, trite, self-serving, stupid, poor quality, and/or offensive nature of a person, a behavior, a product or a social trend, and says so.

I will take being called a "hater" as a compliment, thank you.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Lol
Old 07-30-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Selim'sTL

I LOL'd, thank you for making my morning a little brighter Selim.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Advanced

not bad. for diy. I dont see why some are hatin on this. it can look better if it was done right.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

You guys are really killing the TL!! I mean you guys are really stooping as low as possible with these cheap mods...whatever, its your car and whatever floats your boat but this mod is definitely crap
Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 07typeSjdm
not bad. for diy. I dont see why some are hatin on this. it can look better if it was done right.
Because some people think it's cheap and isn't worthy to be put on a near luxury sedan. Honestly, with the way some people on this site talks, you'd think we're driving Bentleys or something.

These "Home Depot" lips look ok on the TL, and can be made to look really good on some other cars.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Instructor

Sorry, what I meant was entry level luxury sedan.

Also I find the choice of word in "defaming" to be rather amusing. You guys realize Acura as a brand isn't taken seriously when people talk about luxury manufacturers right? And that many see the TL as nothing more than a puffed up Accord.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and this will be my first post.
Sezniko, I say keep doing what you enjoy doing. I'm really digging the diy front lip add on. I can't say the same for your neon lights though, please remove the bottom white lights and upgrade to some led spot lights.

6spdtl, I understand where you're coming from with trashing a car with too many cheap products. I hope you know not everyone has money to buy "jdm" parts. If I can create a similar diy product similar to the market for a penny on the dollar, I would try it in a heartbeat. if his lip kit falls off, he can replace it again with the same $10 9ft roll he purchased early on. he can replace the lip kit for as long as he wants and never amount up the the "jdm" price you paid for yours.

Other than that, I'm starting my new project with my 04 TL. I think I'll try this mod plus some basic bolt ons.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by tee_el
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and this will be my first post.
Sezniko, I say keep doing what you enjoy doing. I'm really digging the diy front lip add on. I can't say the same for your neon lights though, please remove the bottom white lights and upgrade to some led spot lights.

6spdtl, I understand where you're coming from with trashing a car with too many cheap products. I hope you know not everyone has money to buy "jdm" parts. If I can create a similar diy product similar to the market for a penny on the dollar, I would try it in a heartbeat. if his lip kit falls off, he can replace it again with the same $10 9ft roll he purchased early on. he can replace the lip kit for as long as he wants and never amount up the the "jdm" price you paid for yours.

Other than that, I'm starting my new project with my 04 TL. I think I'll try this mod plus some basic bolt ons.

The basic concept is, if you can afford a TL, you can afford an aspec kit. Also, there are no jdm parts for the TL.

However, to each his own, my opinion is not going to stop this atrocity from happening. Its only a matter of time before people think of more cheap mods to do. home depot lip spoiler, roof spoiler, rear diffuser ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
boost 3G

these "home depot RACING lips" would go perfect with a racing wing!!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Nismo TL yo!

ya'll should probably start cutting your springs too.

cheap mods ftw
Old 08-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by trojanman10984
these "home depot RACING lips" would go perfect with a racing wing!!
2x4's and liquid nails FTW
Old 08-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
At first I thought of doing this mod then I went outside and pictured how the car would look with 'home depot mod' then i went
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
The basic concept is, if you can afford a TL, you can afford an aspec kit. Also, there are no jdm parts for the TL.

However, to each his own, my opinion is not going to stop this atrocity from happening. Its only a matter of time before people think of more cheap mods to do. home depot lip spoiler, roof spoiler, rear diffuser ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
LOL, i agree that some people do take it too far. But in my case, I have multiple cars and not a lot of money. I have to budget for major purchases, such as a turbo and nitrous setup. so i priortize speed over looks. I try to do a lot of cost effective mods to my car before I invest in brand name items. I also cut/clamp my springs to test the new height of my whip, then I'll decide if I want to invest in a full suspension system setup in the future.

I appreciate creativity and I want to support senzniko so he can continue what he's doing. Even though he's going down the path of side grills, chrome door handles, and giant wings. Hopefully he'll one day see his beautiful baby has turned into a ricer jet with eagle wings, and maybe the atrocity will stop. Maybe it'll be so hideous, that people won't try to be so cheap with their mods.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
8th Gear

looks good!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Advanced

for people who are talking down on this. look and what your doing to your tl like smoking or tinting tail lights and headlights. or even adding a roof spoiler that wasn't made for the tl. your doing the same thing.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 07typeSjdm
for people who are talking down on this. look and what your doing to your tl like smoking or tinting tail lights and headlights. or even adding a roof spoiler that wasn't made for the tl. your doing the same thing.
wut
Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Instructor

i have that overwhelmly if you don't have $$$ don't talk on the forums...

everyone is ron jon this, ron jon that, it's 19's or 20's or go home..

i can't even get a decent answer about freaking 17 inch wheels.. people are like 18s or nothing....

i want a front lip for my TL but there is no aftermarket and a ron jon bumper is expensive as well as the aspec kit. i don't even like how the aspec kit looks.

i want summer oem spec rims! but i can't find a good set of type S's in canada and aspecs are 1800 and ronjons are 2k+ CAD... seriously...

it's not a matter of bling bling i got more monies then you ha ha ha if you can't pay don't play bs...

i'm seriously considering rotas and i got instantly flamed for go big or go home bs...

i expect this type of treatment on a beemer or benz forum but not on here...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Nismo TL yo!

why dont you go to home depot and make yourself some nice rims out of some backets and metal tubing then.

Seriously though, your making a bad comparison. You cant compare using something that was not meant to be on a car at all (garage door seal) to something that was specifiically designed to be on a TL (a-spec).
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
why dont you go to home depot and make yourself some nice rims out of some backets and metal tubing then.

Seriously though, your making a bad comparison. You cant compare using something that was not meant to be on a car at all (garage door seal) to something that was specifiically designed to be on a TL (a-spec).
i get treated the same way when i asked about 17 inch rims and about rotas,

go 18+ and rotas are trash.. they might as be home depot rims to you because you shelled out the cash for ronjon/works/volks or whatever baller rims you have on (i'm generalizing).

if you think being stingy on a 10 dollar lip from home depot is bad, why don't you rag on those guys that want more MPG? hyper milling saves you 5-10 dollars but is it worth all that effort? no... but you don't see anyone flaming those guys.

it's the elitism that bothers me on acurazine.. it's starting to act like that other forum if you know what i mean, and i thought this place was different.

you have to mod your car this way, with these brands, if you don't, we will laugh at you. simple as that.

I can buy all the mods i want for my car at any given time, but I value my money and other expenses in life where as i can't blow $3k on rims and $1k on a body kit... it's just not practical for something that is form over function.

it's the best bang for the buck without breaking the bank! if you're all about the bling bling and brand names, people aren't going to say you're a disgrace to the community... we shrug it off as, your money, your car, do what you want.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have not been on this forum in months. I came back and this happens. What in gods name has happened to the TL community!?

this is awful!!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 AM
boost 3G

Originally Posted by CdTriX

go 18+ and rotas are trash.. they might as be home depot rims to you because you shelled out the cash for ronjon/works/volks or whatever baller rims you have on (i'm generalizing).

if you think being stingy on a 10 dollar lip from home depot is bad, why don't you rag on those guys that want more MPG? hyper milling saves you 5-10 dollars but is it worth all that effort? no... but you don't see anyone flaming those guys.

it's the elitism that bothers me on acurazine.. it's starting to act like that other forum if you know what i mean, and i thought this place was different.

you have to mod your car this way, with these brands, if you don't, we will laugh at you. simple as that.

I can buy all the mods i want for my car at any given time, but I value my money and other expenses in life where as i can't blow $3k on rims and $1k on a body kit... it's just not practical for something that is form over function.

it's the best bang for the buck without breaking the bank! if you're all about the bling bling and brand names, people aren't going to say you're a disgrace to the community... we shrug it off as, your money, your car, do what you want.
thats what a forum is...you post on here to get everyones open opinions and if you cant deal with it than you dont need to be posting questions and remarks. we all post on here and are ready to deal with what anyone might ahve to say no matter what it may be. learn to take constructive critism and just because people dont like the way you spend your money for your car doesnt not mean you base judgement on them. everyone has different taste and likings. so "do what you do" and move on.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Nismo TL yo!

I was in no way making a comment that you could make better rims than rotas by going to HD.

I'm simply saying that if youre going to make a lip from HD supplies, why not apply that across the board and do it for everything.

There are TONS of ways to mod the car and not break the bank (I believe I listed a few a few posts up). On top of those cheap mods, you can also buy used parts, most notably rims, for the car. For what you are going to pay for those rotas plus tires, plus mounting, plus balancing, etc, etc, you could buy a lightly used set of nice wheels for comparable price. You can get a nice drop for 300 bucks if you wait it out in the BM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jptl04
Stop this craziness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow. cheapo.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have that overwhelmly if you don't have $$$ don't talk on the forums...

everyone is ron jon this, ron jon that, it's 19's or 20's or go home..

i can't even get a decent answer about freaking 17 inch wheels.. people are like 18s or nothing....

i want a front lip for my TL but there is no aftermarket and a ron jon bumper is expensive as well as the aspec kit. i don't even like how the aspec kit looks.

i want summer oem spec rims! but i can't find a good set of type S's in canada and aspecs are 1800 and ronjons are 2k+ CAD... seriously...

it's not a matter of bling bling i got more monies then you ha ha ha if you can't pay don't play bs...

i'm seriously considering rotas and i got instantly flamed for go big or go home bs...

i expect this type of treatment on a beemer or benz forum but not on here...
what's wrong with rotas? For a street driven car they are fine. Now that they are making more aggressive wheels, I'm good with them. Do what you want man.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Wants an M3 in

there is nothing wrong with this mod! Everyone calling it cheap, dont do it? It looks good if executed correctly. Some of the guys with the most "respected" cars have done this ... You aren't ragging on them in their threads but you come in here bashing.

People looking for a guide on how to do it should be looking in this thread not people looking to kick it in the teeth.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Racer

So i was bored yesterday...

*Flame Suit on*

Old 08-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
^ that shit is fucking ugly, your car is fucking ugly

hahahaha JK JK it looks good. I like it.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:31 PM
10th Gear

new to this site...but thats a great idea!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:36 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

omg omg omg lul

Last edited by ballinfizzle89; 08-17-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
^^^ lol
Old 08-17-2009, 05:47 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Dougboy
So i was bored yesterday...
Why Dougboy please tell me you are going to remove it. I honestly think this looks the worst on 04-06 Aspec. On the new 07+ it just looks meh. On our cars though it does not flow at all.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
A Happily Modded TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if installed correctly, it can look pretty nice. You can bash me all you want, but i'm in no way cheap or into the ricer mods. I've owned 8 sets of volks, and a TON of other high-end parts...but i honestly think it looks great if you know what you are doing.

it's installed with 3M tape that has been painted black on the edges so you dont see the gray of the tape at all.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Dougboy, is that Adrian's TL I see in the background?

Quick Reply: "DIY" home depot lip