Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
wait, what?, whoa!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Here is the block, it only has about 2,000 miles on it. Hasn't been cleaned off or anything has just been sealed in the bag. Has a bunch of new gaskets, new bolts, all kinds of stuff.

I'm also working on the possibility of a 6mt swap.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:19 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
^^^ Holy crap.......
That's how I felt, but if i'm having the whole thing apart, I might as well get everything done and make it as "like new" as possible.

Originally Posted by Kaiii
that...looks awesome. good luck with everything!
Thank you!

I'm working with NVA-AV6 on getting togeather a 6mt conversion possibly too. I would like to do this above everything else. It's my biggest complaint about my car.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man this is going to be awesome. Good luck with the motor! Patiently awaiting more pics
The following users liked this post:
Corey_Straker (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 03:32 PM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice save, well done
Old 02-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
if you get that then may be its time to put in the 6 spd AT too.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Corey, this will be one hell of a job. But you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of it when it's finished.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by truonghthe
if you get that then may be its time to put in the 6 spd AT too.
It could be done! The bell housing is the same for the J35a8 and J37's. Who knows how pissed off the ECU and TCM would be though

Corey, this will be one hell of a job. But you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of it when it's finished.
Thanks! This isn't going to happen in a week, that's for sure. But I'll be calling on your expertise at some point in this cluster of work to be done!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Racer

Cleaning time!!

Well in honor of it warming up this week and seeing a silver TL-S in service that looked brand.spanking.new with 80K on it, I decided that it was time I got serious and really started cleaning mine. My biggest nucence is this metallic film on the door panels, the car that came through here was still a mat finish, this is very difficult as you can easily damage components of the door.

Passenger seat came out very nicely, spent about 30 minutes cleaning it alone.

If you look at the drivers side bolstering that's what the seat looked like before I started cleaning.

The carpet is getting there. I'm so anal I'm smelling it to make sure it doesn't smell like mold, or anything yucky. As I am cleaning the car, the overpowering smell of our leather is starting to come back.

All was good, until this happened... Who knows how much this will cost me, I've tried the wiggle method with no results, tried hitting it, nothing. So frustrating!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 AM

not much at all....depends on what you want, you can order the T3 bulbs from ebay....I ordered some recently....I went with white....

they are in a pack of 10 for 15 bucks shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-White-T3-Neo-Wedge-LED-Bulb-Cluster-Instrument-Dash-Climate-Base-Lights-Lamp-/251404294367?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a88dd18df&vxp=mtr
klene259 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Team Owner

Best of luck with that interior....it's tough to keep clean.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
What'd you use to clean it?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by swoosh
not much at all....depends on what you want, you can order the T3 bulbs from ebay....I ordered some recently....I went with white....

they are in a pack of 10 for 15 bucks shipped

10x White T3 Neo Wedge LED Bulb Cluster Instrument Dash Climate Base Lights Lamp | eBay
I already ordered OEM parts from my dealership. My cost is only a few bucks a bulb. Just replacing all the bulbs at once so I don't have to deal with others going out.

Best of luck with that interior....it's tough to keep clean.
Thanks! I can tell it is, but it's defiantly worth the effort to me.

Originally Posted by rossv1
What'd you use to clean it?
Some leather cleaner that was in a bottle here at work, not sure who made it or anything. Just a clear spray bottle one of the detail guys gave to me.

So... You saw the interior cleaning results... This is what I've done all day today... In preparation of the bum spot meet in downtown Cincinnati.

Cleaned all around the emblems with spray wax and a special brush.

^ - Badge is still there 02/19/14 My buddies CRX Si next to my car.

^ probably the best picture i've ever taken in my life.

^ Car needs lowered.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 02-20-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 02-19-2014, 01:59 AM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts
clean tl-s!
Corey_Straker (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 05:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Corey_Straker

^ Car needs lowered.

Have you thought about what suspension setup you're going to go with?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:09 AM
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 539 Posts
Man...I can't wait for the day I can finally do a big cleaning on mine, this winter has been brutal. Looking good op.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zoostation
Have you thought about what suspension setup you're going to go with?
Yes, waiting on my paycheck for the next round of mods. ASPEC 6mt suspension, new top hats, new bushings, etc.

Also replacing compliance bushings, front & drivers side motor mounts, etc.

Originally Posted by KJ TL-S
Man...I can't wait for the day I can finally do a big cleaning on mine, this winter has been brutal. Looking good op.
Thanks! Being bored at a dealership will do this to you.. hahahaha. This winter has defiantly sucked. Beyond tired of it.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 PM

SICK
Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Racer

Well guys, I'm tossing around the idea of just selling the car for like 10K and walking away, I'm really really frustrated with it right now, it's just problem after problem...

Finished up transmission pressure switches today which went fine until I found out that my front and drivers side motor mounts are shot. Great!

Spent at least 4 hours taking the radio/navi head unit out to replace each and every one of the light bulbs, took extreme caution not to break anything (no metal on plastic )and ended up cracking the upper radio display housing which is a $163. part... Ended up snapping off 2 clip holders on the glovebox piece, and finally getting the thing apart, replaced all the lights after spending $80 in bulbs and giving uncle sam his share of my money. Then BAM all the sudden on my way to a friends house, the zoom button goes out. Then on the way back I loose my defrost and drivers temperature/mode controls, so the lights probably fell out of the back of the HU. Yay, $30 worth of lost lights that all they do now is rattle inside the dash like a raped rattlesnake.

Sorry for the rant of the night, I'm parking the car at work and getting a demo again, I was enjoying my car but it's horrible now. It's like having a f%*! Geiger counter inside my dash, that along with the B pillar rattle drive me nuts!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Team Owner

Corey, don't get frustrated. You're putting in so much work-you'll have a terrific running car when it's done. There's light at the end of the tunnel.
Corey_Straker (02-21-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Damn sorry to hear what happened, wished I could've seen this thread a couple of days earlier.

A couple of lights were also "out" on my car, thinking back to my first gen MDX (and even my old Accord) all I had to do on the X is just give it a couple of light knocks with my knuckle along the dash (or wherever the light was supposedly out) and the light would start working again, same thing now with my TL; a couple of knocks and the lights came back on and have been problem free ever since.

Of course this won't be the case with everybody but if your interior lights are out just give it a couple of knocks before spending the dough

Last edited by Drei; 02-20-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,160 Likes on 909 Posts
I have my oem front and rear mounts, send me a PM if interested they only have 55k miles on them. Not sure which mounts are different between manual and automatic mounts
Old 02-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Racer

Corey, don't get frustrated. You're putting in so much work-you'll have a terrific running car when it's done. There's light at the end of the tunnel.
Well I gave it a couple of days to allow myself to cool off, then took it apart again, the lights had fallen out of the back because my dumbass didn't fully turn the lights in fear of stripping out the back of the bulb. Luckily there is a little lip right behind the radio that cought all 5 of the bulbs that had fallen out and saved me $20. All of them are back to functioning how they should. Also fixed the glovebox panel gap issue I was having. And fixed the B pillar rattle again.

Originally Posted by Drei
Damn sorry to hear what happened, wished I could've seen this thread a couple of days earlier.

A couple of lights were also "out" on my car, thinking back to my first gen MDX (and even my old Accord) all I had to do on the X is just give it a couple of light knocks with my knuckle along the dash (or wherever the light was supposedly out) and the light would start working again, same thing now with my TL; a couple of knocks and the lights came back on and have been problem free ever since.

Of course this won't be the case with everybody but if your interior lights are out just give it a couple of knocks before spending the dough
When they initially went out the tapping trick worked on a few of them, all it's doing is moving the filament around and hoping that it touches together again. All but one came back so I decided to just fix them all.

Originally Posted by sockr1
I have my oem front and rear mounts, send me a PM if interested they only have 55k miles on them. Not sure which mounts are different between manual and automatic mounts
They are different, I'm just going to wait to do mounts until I do a 6mt swap.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Racer

Yes, waiting on my paycheck for the next round of mods. ASPEC 6mt suspension, new top hats, new bushings, etc.

Also replacing compliance bushings, front & drivers side motor mounts, etc.
Glad you're back in the game! Modding can be frustrating but the results are worth it.

Can't wait to see your car with the Aspec suspension. Is the main reason you're going this route due to your parts discount? I'm torn between suspension and would love to see if the Aspec can make the wheel gap disappear (or at least reduce enough so barely noticeable).
Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

Glad you're hanging in there!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zoostation
Glad you're back in the game! Modding can be frustrating but the results are worth it.

Can't wait to see your car with the Aspec suspension. Is the main reason you're going this route due to your parts discount? I'm torn between suspension and would love to see if the Aspec can make the wheel gap disappear (or at least reduce enough so barely noticeable).
The main reason is for the OEM fitment of the parts, I heard you have to do some customization with the koni yellows and they go bad after about 50K miles. The ASPEC suspension was designed by someone who knows his stuff, so I'll start off with that for now.

Glad you're hanging in there!
Yeah me too, But it was my noob mistake that caused the problem, not the cars.
zoostation (03-28-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love this color sux that their rare in los Angeles
Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jdmgxer87
Love this color sux that their rare in los Angeles
Yeah they are pretty rare here in Cincinnati too! There is only 2 other KBP TL-S' running around that I've ever seen come into service. One 6mt that the guy won't sell , and another automatic.

I'm staying on the DL until I get all my mods together and save some money.

To anyone wondering...

Update on my 6mt conversion research, so far it's showing that a LOT of stuff would need to be changed part number wise, however, I'm trying to figure out work a around. Between me and the mechanics at my work, we've figured out how to alter the interior wiring harness to work with the 2 clutch switches. If all else fails I will try to convert the 5at to a LSD.

On the J37a1 swap, well now I'm getting in a little to deep it feels like. The earlier J37a1 from the 07-09 MDX have a different crank and block setup than the 10-13 J37a1, trying to figure out exactly what will be needed to get that up and running. Possibly considering a WPC treatment on the crank and some other items, which brings me to my number one goal, Throttle Response! The newer TLs have such a touchy gas pedal, trying to accomplish this with my motor with a WPC treatment, it really helps reduce friction.

Black interior conversion will happen sometime this summer.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Racer

Big Update

I've been off for a while on a big, big, big project. Since I was gone a lot has happened...

Replaced all of the motor mounts / transmission mounts. Vibration is next to non existent at idle and accelerating now!

.......And from toupe to Ebony/Silver, thanks to my boss at work who gave me the go ahead to do the swap of the two cars . Let me tell you all, I thought this was going to be a semi easy swap... It isn't, it's challenging, tiring, annoying, painful, and hateful. But after over 20 hours of work it's finally completed. Enjoy...

Parts to be exchanged:
- 4 door panels
- 2 visors and there trim pieces
- 4 grab handles and there trim pieces
- 1 Black dome light tray with HFL module
- 1 sunroof assembly with black slide cover and handle
- 1 rear map light assy
- 1 rear microphone cover
- 1 headliner
- 2 a-pillar trim
- 2 b-pillar trim
- 2 c-pillar trim
- 1 deck lid
- 1 center consol lid
- 2 front seatbelts
- 3 rear seatbelts
- 3 rear seatbelt holders ( thing you clip into )
- 1 rear seatback ( duh )
- 1 rear seat cushin ( duh )
- 1 driver seat ( duh )
- 1 passenger seat ( duh )

Getting the rear deck out of the donor car.

Got all the seats and door panels out of the red car, that's half the battle

Got the sunroof out at last, this ended up being the hardest part of the entire swap. That son of a bitch is so heavy and trying to get it in just the right spot around wiring harnesses, wiring pigtails, and everything sucked. This was the only part I would never do again.

Black

Door panels

My buddy standing in it my car after finally getting it's interior out. By this point we had been working since 5pm and it was approaching 3am

After getting majority of the components of the black interior in my car. At around 5:30am

Better pictures are coming soon I promise!

In the coming months I will focus on...

New drives seat foam ( top and bottom )
New drivers seat heating element ( drivers seat is broken )
New drivers leather cover top and bottom
New center consol ( padding is ruined and is worn to hell and back )
New passenger and driver door panel (scratched and slightly dis-formed in some spots )
New lights for the seat memory buttons
J37a1 ( 10-13 block ) install
New axles
New compliance bushings
New Nitto 255/40 R17 tires
New brakes

Last edited by Corey_Straker; 03-25-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: moar picz
Old 03-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Thats a nice MRP type s! Congrats on the interior swap, looks good!
Where did you find that donor car?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by spatel83
Thats a nice MRP type s! Congrats on the interior swap, looks good!
Where did you find that donor car?
Thank you! I'd say the MRP has the better interior for now! My old toupe was immaculate! The black from this one not so much. But we took the car in on trade, I approached my boss about the swap and he said yes! Now I just need a 6mt TL-S to show up
Old 03-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
type s

Thank you! I'd say the MRP has the better interior for now! My old toupe was immaculate! The black from this one not so much. But we took the car in on trade, I approached my boss about the swap and he said yes! Now I just need a 6mt TL-S to show up

But still, two of my favourite colours in the same garage
Old 03-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by spatel83
But still, two of my favourite colours in the same garage
The photos don't do it justice. They had a xenon light on inside the garage and the two colors were absolutely glowing!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
The photos don't do it justice. They had a xenon light on inside the garage and the two colors were absolutely glowing!
Thought this car looked familiar! Saw the photos on insta the other day, love how the cars coming along, gotta say that blue is my favorite color
Old 03-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Love KBP. Hate WDP.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ct_ua6
Thought this car looked familiar! Saw the photos on insta the other day, love how the cars coming along, gotta say that blue is my favorite color
That would be me! My instagram name is corey_sosexy. Thank you for your compliment.

Originally Posted by Carriers
Love KBP. Hate WDP.
Thanks! And how can you not like WDP? Such a good color! Plus you have a 6mt!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Team Owner

You've been busy-and it looks like you're going to stay that way!
Corey_Straker (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Racer

You've been busy-and it looks like you're going to stay that way!
Thank you! I'm trying too. Need to stay up to speed on everything it needs.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Wow, excellent work! KBP is such a gorgeous color

Quick Reply: Corey's KBP TL Type-S Build Thread **photo heavy**