I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Dude, nice shots!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Type One
tail lights?

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Damn that crack was pretty nasty Craig! I'm glad you got it taken care of.

I'm glad you decided to pull the trigger on those tails. And yes that's what I'm guessing that you ordered
Yeah it was one hell of a gouge. Now my garage smells like new tire. Mmm.

But haha you guys are good! 07-08 base tails indeed. Been wanting to for a while. Type-S tails look awesome but are really popular.

Originally Posted by Aman
Hmm, I'm gonna say tails and sidemarkers as well.

And if you still are considering it, I'd go with white painted wheels over gunmetal.

Powdercoated white TL wheels + drop = massive sex.
Just tails! The wheel situation is a blah one. I want different wheels but A) I'd have no clue how I'd drop a couple grand on new rims and tires B) I don't know what I'd get. I've been thinking next spring I'll buy different springs to drop my car just a little bit- no slammage though.

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Post pics of 07-08 base tails when they're on heheh.

I'm debating if I like them on SSM more than Type-S tails.

If I had WDP, hands down 07/08 base are the nicest.
Will do! Hopefully they'll be here sometime next week. I need to find a DIY on changing tailights on our cars. Anyone have a link? I know it's in the 3G garage.

Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
Congrats man. I need to make a drive up to Indiana and have meet with you. I recently got quotes and stuff to get the whole front end repainted because the paint is cracking. 1600 buck. Really sucks.
Do it! I think that's like 10 hours or so though? Next year I plan on going to more meets in the midwest/area. I really wish I would have gone to import alliance this past summer since it was in Nashville, TN. That's only 4.5 hours from here.

But ouch dude that sucks. How did it start cracking?

Originally Posted by VQPower37
that house is so boss ... nice selection of cars btw
Haha thank you.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No new pics of the tails?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-094-diy-installing-type-s-tail-lights-716996/
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I have no idea how it started cracking, I just saw it one day and was like CRAP! Then it grew...like cancer, or some type of fungus. And ya, I'm coming up one time. We gotta have a young TL meet.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Hmm, I'm gonna say tails and sidemarkers as well.

And if you still are considering it, I'd go with white painted wheels over gunmetal.

Powdercoated white TL wheels + drop = massive sex.
no.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats man. I need to make a drive up to Indiana and have meet with you. I recently got quotes and stuff to get the whole front end repainted because the paint is cracking. 1600 buck. Really sucks.
I'd go up to Indiana before you paint your front end. Just sayin'! Unless you get a nose mask, that seems to be ideal for long trips.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm Craig

Originally Posted by Sandals
No new pics of the tails?
I don't have them on yet since I just ordered them. I'll post pics when I install them though!

Thank you. That DIY looks awesome. Jnc is the man.

I have no idea how it started cracking, I just saw it one day and was like CRAP! Then it grew...like cancer, or some type of fungus. And ya, I'm coming up one time. We gotta have a young TL meet.
Ouch. That sucks dude! Sounds like the clear coat went funky for some reason. New paint is always a good thing though.

But do it. Long road trips in the TL are fun. And stopping off in random small towns is interesting also. Get lots of looks.

Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
no.

Originally Posted by 218TL
I'd go up to Indiana before you paint your front end. Just sayin'! Unless you get a nose mask, that seems to be ideal for long trips.
Haha I agree with that statement. My front bumper has so many rock chips in it though. Stopped caring.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Waiting on taillight pictures Nice progress man!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm Craig

^Thanks! Scheduled delivery date: Friday, September 17. Got my Saturday project in line.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Base tails + Aspec = win.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm Craig

Yay:

NAY.

I go to unbolt the black bolts for the bracket of the rear A-Spec kit and what do they do? Just spin and don't come out. I'm assuming from the nuts placed on the other side. The bolt and the nut on the other side just spin; the threads of the bolt seem stuck in the nut. So what the hell am I supposed to do now? I tried to hold the nut with pliars as I unbolted it and that didn't work. Shit seems like rusted in.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:49 PM

Shit Craig that sucks. I don't know what to tell you man. Maybe get some PB Blaster and loosen that rust up.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm Craig

^Tell me about it. And its not just one- its all of them. I tried removing screws that hold the kit to the bracket and they didn't even budge. I'm taking my car to the dealership that installed the kit either tomorrow or Monday and have them look at it. I don't have the tools/patience required to loosen dozens of seized nuts and bolts and screws. I just spent another hour trying to figure it out.

This car is expensive lately.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear. Hopefully they get on the car soon!

Sometimes I feel like my TL is a pain in the ass and just a money pit. Then I realize I could be driving a 30 year old car with 350k miles and no A/C and only then do I truly appreciate my car. This is just a hiccup in the road of car ownership
Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by cjTL
Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,050 Posts
How in the hell did rust even get in there?

That sucks donkey balls though, out of all the times I've dealt with rusted bolts (a lot) only once has it ended successfully, involving a VERY large amount of WD40.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm Craig

I'm sorry to hear. Hopefully they get on the car soon!

Sometimes I feel like my TL is a pain in the ass and just a money pit. Then I realize I could be driving a 30 year old car with 350k miles and no A/C and only then do I truly appreciate my car. This is just a hiccup in the road of car ownership
Very true. And thankfully its not really much of a hiccup- just a minor annoyance in the journey of perfecting my TL. It's just hard to justify spending so much money on a car that's already amazing and most the mods I do only I and people on here will notice- unless I tell my friends. Then they're like "Oh that's cool!" Same with me and my compulsiveness when it comes to the car being clean. If there's a blade of grass or debris on my floor mat, I'll pick it up and throw it out the window immediately. I need therapy I think.

Previous owner was the same way I am though. Not a scratch or ding or flaw in the car after 5 years and approaching 100K miles. And all his service was done at the dealer and recorded in the maitenance journal religously. Got lucky there. He left an old insurance card with his address on it and I've thought about sending him a letter with some pics someday.

You're telling me. These bolts are becoming personal. Its like the girl you have feelings for and you try to express them to her but she just doesn't even pay attention. Damn chunks of metal. I'm gonna strip them and see how they like it.

How in the hell did rust even get in there?

That sucks donkey balls though, out of all the times I've dealt with rusted bolts (a lot) only once has it ended successfully, involving a VERY large amount of WD40.
WD40 seemed to do nothing other than make it easier for my socket and pliars to slide around easier.

And the orange oxidization comes from just ONE winter here apparently. Salt really kills...that kit is only a year old; I assume the bolts the dealer used to secure it were new.

Last edited by cjTL; 09-17-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 AM

Very true. And thankfully its not really much of a hiccup- just a minor annoyance in the journey of perfecting my TL. It's just hard to justify spending so much money on a car that's already amazing and most the mods I do only I and people on here will notice- unless I tell my friends. Then they're like "Oh that's cool!" Same with me and my compulsiveness when it comes to the car being clean. If there's a blade of grass or debris on my floor mat, I'll pick it up and throw it out the window immediately. I need therapy I think.

Previous owner was the same way I am though. Not a scratch or ding or flaw in the car after 5 years and approaching 100K miles. And all his service was done at the dealer and recorded in the maitenance journal religously. Got lucky there. He left an old insurance card with his address on it and I've thought about sending him a letter with some pics someday.
I'm the same way with my car. If something is out of place or if there is just a little bit of dirt on the inside, I'll go crazy.

I wish I had the papers from the previous owner of my car. I think the next car I buy will be CPO so I have all of the records. Make sure that dude still lives there before you send pictures. He could have moved since you got the car. Still a good idea though.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm Craig

I'm the same way with my car. If something is out of place or if there is just a little bit of dirt on the inside, I'll go crazy.

I wish I had the papers from the previous owner of my car. I think the next car I buy will be CPO so I have all of the records. Make sure that dude still lives there before you send pictures. He could have moved since you got the car. Still a good idea though.
Yeah I probably should make sure he does still live there.

And yeah I'll always buy CPO cars when I buy a car- I'll let someone else take that initial depreciation hit for me.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm Craig

Soo I was able to install them today after all. Drove up to my dad's friends' Midas shop and he popped the bolts off for me. Went home and finished the job in about 3 hours total. Love them. Pics were off my iPhone 4, better pics to come next week when I add one final touch to my car's ass. Then I'll have a photoshoot of some sort.

Oh and my neighbor who has an 06 AM TL saw my TL with the rear bumper off and came over and asked if I wanted to change his oil for him while I was at it.

Last edited by cjTL; 09-18-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 PM

DAMN those look good. Congrats

I spy a G35 in the driveway.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts

Holy crap, nice house. i saw your other pics of your family's car collection. It's funny to see that a lot of large houses families have regular cars, meaning not super cars. Which is really good i think. Rich people don't need to show off they are rich with bling bling cars.

Last edited by P1zzaman; 09-18-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those light really set the car apart. I really like the clean aesthetic mods that no one really notices, but when you park next to a stock one then it really shows.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always liked the 07-08 tails. They look great!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Race Director

I WANT MOAR!

Seriously, I need more pictures.

I might bite the bullet and get them also.

They Depo or OEM?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm Craig

DAMN those look good. Congrats

I spy a G35 in the driveway.
Yessir you do. My dad's girlfriend's ride. Dirty as a nun with an STD. She wants me to detail it.

Oh and thank you! I think I like your taillights more though.

Originally Posted by P1zzaman
Holy crap, nice house. i saw your other pics of your family's car collection. It's funny to see that a lot of large houses families have regular cars, meaning not super cars. Which is really good i think. Rich people don't need to show off they are rich with bling bling cars.
Why thank you. The closest thing to bling bling is my dad's Corvette Z06. And that's a Chevrolet.

Oh and that motorcycle trailer in the garage is going in storage this fall so my sister and I can finally park our TLs next to eachother.

Originally Posted by Sandals
Those light really set the car apart. I really like the clean aesthetic mods that no one really notices, but when you park next to a stock one then it really shows.
Yessir I agree with you. That's what I'm going for with my car. Subtle is the game. "HEY LOOK AT ME GUYS!!!!" and "JDM, YO!" are not my fancy.

Originally Posted by Type One
I always liked the 07-08 tails. They look great!
Thank you! I think on some colors, Type-S tails look better and on other colors, base tails look better. I might add LEDs to the turn signals of them. Hmm.

I WANT MOAR!

Seriously, I need more pictures.

I might bite the bullet and get them also.

They Depo or OEM?
Haha you'll just have to look at my pics when I post them sometime next week. Maybe I'll snap another shot for you tomorrow when it's lighter outside. But they're depo I do believe since I paid $135 for them off of fleabay, and they don't say Honduhh on them anywhere. The fitment is spot-on though.

I can tell you that you might as well bite the bullet. You'll love them. Watch out for damn corrosion on the bolts holding the bumper to the bottom of the car though.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Looks really good. Just wait to see what I have coming in next weekend man. I've decided a new direction, and now want the Type-S tails and Sidemarkers...but they will come after "the surprise" next week.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clean
Old 09-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Race Director

$135?

That's a steal!

Did you also change out the LEDS?

I heard that the LED pattern is different for the 07/08 base.

I think if I were to install it, everything would work out because I just installed the A-Spec lip kit which means I had to take off my bumper (all bolts came off flawlessly), and the A-Spec brackets (and screws) are brand new, which means they should come out easily.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Yessir you do. My dad's girlfriend's ride. Dirty as a nun with an STD. She wants me to detail it.

Oh and thank you! I think I like your taillights more though.

If it's that dirty, it sounds like you need to get to work.

My taillights used to look like yours before an 8 hour process. My tails would look terribly out of place on your car so I'm glad you are sticking with the red ones

$135?

That's a steal!

I think if I were to install it, everything would work out because I just installed the A-Spec lip kit which means I had to take off my bumper (all bolts came off flawlessly), and the A-Spec brackets (and screws) are brand new, which means they should come out easily.
You have to take the LED board off of your stock taillights and just transfer them to the new taillights. The LED boards are EXACTLY the same for all 04-08 TLs. I took my LED board from my 04 tails and put them on the 07-08 Base tails with no problems whatsoever. Just make sure you transfer the gaskets from the old lights to the new ones to keep moisture from getting in.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Race Director

You have to take the LED board off of your stock taillights and just transfer them to the new taillights. The LED boards are EXACTLY the same for all 04-08 TLs. I took my LED board from my 04 tails and put them on the 07-08 Base tails with no problems whatsoever. Just make sure you transfer the gaskets from the old lights to the new ones to keep moisture from getting in.
Ah, cool cool.

I don't know what these guys are talking about heheh.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/tail-lights-05-tl-07-tl-617654/
Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm Craig

Looks really good. Just wait to see what I have coming in next weekend man. I've decided a new direction, and now want the Type-S tails and Sidemarkers...but they will come after "the surprise" next week.
I wanna know what the surprise is!

PM me? I'm impatient.

Originally Posted by ck0811
clean
I did wash her today.

$135?

That's a steal!

I just swapped the LED boards from my 04-06 tails and they work like a charm in the 07-08s. But lucky you! I'm off to Ed Martin Acura tomorrow afternoon to buy new bolts for it so that shit doesn't happen again.

If it's that dirty, it sounds like you need to get to work.

My taillights used to look like yours before an 8 hour process. My tails would look terribly out of place on your car so I'm glad you are sticking with the red ones
Haha I do indeed need to get to work. I've been detailing cars every weekend for the past month or so though. Haven't had time.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm Craig

The ass is done as of today. $2 if you can spot whats different other than the tails. Kind of bittersweet because I don't have anything else planned or anything I want for my TL as of now.

I'll have good pics up by tomorrow. Have them sitting here on my computer, just need to edit them. I have a ton of homework tonight though.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you painted the strip above the license plate. I will pm you my paypal later lol j/k!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:56 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
You cleaned your exhaust tips :tocool: $2 easily buys BKF haha I love the base tail lights man, keeps it clean. I think I'll be going the same route..
Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 AM
Pro

Speaking of exhaust tips, looks like you painted the inside of the tips black.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Feeds pigs bacon

The inside of the tips are painted black from the factory.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm Craig

at your guys' comments. I guess this mod is especially subtle.

Complete 07-08 ass.

Originally Posted by navarretg
you painted the strip above the license plate. I will pm you my paypal later lol j/k!
Nope! Di-Noc wrapped that earlier this year.

Originally Posted by AMUA6
You cleaned your exhaust tips :tocool: $2 easily buys BKF haha I love the base tail lights man, keeps it clean. I think I'll be going the same route..
Haha no sir! Glad I keep them clean though. And do it, post pics also.

Originally Posted by 218TL
Speaking of exhaust tips, looks like you painted the inside of the tips black.
Nope! That's the work of chemical guys' Fade 2 Black.

Originally Posted by fabrikated
The inside of the tips are painted black from the factory.
Si.

Quick Reply: cjTL's Advancement Thread. Update: Page 4