From the beginning to the TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the beginning to the TL

I've noticed a few people doing this, and I figured it'd be fun to dig up some old pics of the cars I've had.. Though, not as impressive as many people, I think for my age I've had a good run.... especially since I'm a full-time student and have paid for 100% of everything (including insurance) myself.

We'll start back in 2003, with the S/C Riviera... It was stock when I got it, and I put the wheels and a bunch of performance and audio stuff into it... It started to have problems after 1 1/2 years so I sold it. It was my first "nice" car, and I actually made it pretty darn fast for the boat it was.

After that, I bought my best friend's Integra GS-R. He had a drop, wheels on it and clear corners on it, otherwise it was stock. The day I got it:

Over the next year I added an HKS Hi Power catback, Greddy Header, Aem Icebox intake, Pulley kit, the ITR front lip, a real nice dvd system, and some new shoes and stock corners. Another buddy of mine made an offer one day that I just could refuse, so I sold it. I still regret selling it to this day, I loved that car... Especially since my buddy got it re-po'd within 3 months of owning it. Just before I sold it:

After that I wanted something that was better in the snow (so I could drive it year around up here in WI), bigger, faster, and more refined.. After a long search I finally found a decent B5 S4 6MT. I loved it, and after I put the APR chip in it that thing was wicked fast. By far the fastest car I've owned. I also put the upgraded 18" s4 wheels on.

Unfortunately about 3 months after buying it, I was driving down the highway like normal and the dash went nuts on me and it started losing power... I came to a stop and there was smoke coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and Bam! The whole engine bay started on fire! I was able to eventually put the flames out with windhshield washer fluid (a dumb idea, but it worked) and watched my baby smolder to death. A clamp that holds up the engine wiring harness broke and the harness fall against one of the exhaust pieces... When I popped the hood and all the air got in there It burst into flames. She was totalled, but insurance covered it. That was one of the worst days of my life.

Next, I got into the one other AWD car that I really loved, a Subaru WRX. However, it wasn't 100% exactly a WRX, it was a Saab 9-2x Aero. Which is a wrx wrapped in a Saab exterior. Everything else about it was a wrx though. I bought it stock with only 12k miles on it. Over the course of 6 months of owning it I upgrade the wheels, sound system, and modded it to a full Stage 2 with Up-pipe and a Pro Tune. For some reason, the only pic I have of her:

Now for the next worst day of my life. I was giving four of my buddies (all of us over 200lbs) a ride home from the bar. I was in a tunnel in Duluth, MN and the driver's front tire hit debris and exploded. The car jerked left, I jerked right and overcorrected it. Next thing I know we plow into the wall at 55-60ish. All of us were ok, but the car was mangled horribly and obviously totalled. The worst part was that I was found "At-Fault" and took a huge insurance hit. That was last September, and up until a few weeks ago I was driving <$2000 beaters that kept breaking down because I was broke and couldn't pay for insurance or payments...

Now I'm finally back in the game. I was looking for a car that got better MPG than the awd ones, that was still quick, nimble, and refined. Something bigger that would work as a family car someday, something I could still drive some in snow, and something that was comfortable for all the road trips I take. I landed on the TL and couldn't be happier! I've been on here posting and such for a while about it, but just for good closure for the story she's a 2004 6mt Nav. This is how she looked when I bought it:

And this is how she looks now:

She's a work in progress. Next is a drop, and a rsb. Then maybe some motor stuff we'll see. I'm just so happy to get back where I was a year ago and overcome all of the tough times I had.

Aside from the cars I've also had:

Sold

And:

Sold

And currently:

Not too mention a few snomobiles over the years... Currently I own a 2005 Arctic Cat F7 Sno Pro.

Sorry for the big picture novel, but I it was fun to compile everthing toghether from over the years. Now you guys know a whole lot about me too, and hopefully as time goes on I'll get to meet up with a bunch of you and get to know you too! Cheers!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:05 AM
PGH to PHILA

You have had quite the collection including bikes. Looks like you have had some highs and lows with vehicles though. Seems like we all have our bad days and then find a new car we like. Congrats on your TL purchase. Like your new rims they make all the difference.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great thread, I share mine:

1995 Accord EX coupe

2002 Acura TLS

2007 Lexus ES350

Now 2008 TLS

Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
MZL
Cruisin'

itschnobigdeal I'm curious... why are most of your pictures at the airport next to planes? I'm asking because we might be in the same field.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MZL
itschnobigdeal I'm curious... why are most of your pictures at the airport next to planes? I'm asking because we might be in the same field.
I work the line at a small FBO in northern WI. So I have access to the ramp, planes, runway, etc at my leisure. I figure the airplanes add to the pics of my cars.. Do you work at an airport too?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Cruisin'

sorry to hear about the s4, those b5's are a great platform for mods. I just sold mine, bitter sweet for me but Im very happy with the TL.

just like you, I shopped around for something classy, roomy and not to bad on gas.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:43 PM
MZL
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by itschnobigdeal
I work the line at a small FBO in northern WI. So I have access to the ramp, planes, runway, etc at my leisure. I figure the airplanes add to the pics of my cars.. Do you work at an airport too?
I flight instruct. Airplanes are definitely a good backdrop for car pix

Pretty sweet that you landed on a manual TL. I wanted a 6 speed but it's hard to find especially when there's other things one is looking at like nav, color, year, mileage, price. Nice ride...
Old 07-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts

Love this shot...same color aircraft as the TL. Plus both have the same nose angle.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Great write up. The stories were awesome. Nice choice in color!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the comments guys! If you all want to compile your beginning to the TL stories/photo's on this thread that's cool with me!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:39 PM
NBP and forever.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell

Love this shot...same color aircraft as the TL. Plus both have the same nose angle.

wow. great analysis lol. +3 on that.