AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Photograph Gallery (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/)
-   -   The adventures of Shoeface! (Updated: 8/16/13) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/adventures-shoeface-updated-8-16-13-a-851050/)

swoosh 05-23-2013 11:02 AM

I could have sold you my ingalls front and I would have gotten the SPC front camber kit :nod:

Shoeface 06-18-2013 10:45 PM

As you may already know, I installed Tein SAs a few weeks ago. The ride quality has definitely improved, but I'm still toying with the dampening adjustments. I've gone from (starting from 0 stiff) 10f/11r to 5f/7r to 9f/10r. I'm going to try 8f/8r soon and see how I like it. Has anybody played with the adjustment enough to make a suggestion?

So since the install, I've been driving on some bad toe in the rear with some "out of spec" camber all around. To mainly fix the toe, I purchased Ingalls 2 arm camber kit. Being 1 kit per side, I purchased 2 kits, for a total of 4 arms. For the front, I also bought Ingalls adjustable upper ball joint. This way I can correct my camber to make it the same all around, AND most importantly fix my toe with the 2 arm kit.

I didn't have time to take pictures, so I'm going to steal some posts from another thread with pictures.
Here's exactly what I bought:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...92&postcount=8

And a picture of the after-install:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...2/IMG_1804.jpg

So starting from the beginning, it took us (Matt, his friend Les, and myself) about 2 hours to prep everything and remove what we could. Got everything off and ready EXCEPT for the toe bolt that connects the toe arm to the body. Both sides were rusted to the body like a mofo. Matt ended up calling sauceja (Jeff, I think?) to see what he did and he had to cut the bolts......

I was like "shit, not this again." Luckly, called up at Jay Wolfe (where the Acura meet was 2 weeks ago :thumbsup:) and they had the bolts/nuts in stock, but not the eccentric washer (which is used in conjuction with the eccentric bolt to adjust the toe from stock). We were able to save the washer, even though I wasn't going to need to adjust toe since I got the Ingalls arms. So Matt drove me up to Jay Wolfe and bought the bolts. An hour later, the rusted bolts were out and the install actually began!

Setting up the arms was easy, just follow the instructions and illustration carefully (http://www.ingallseng.com/Instructions/38725.pdf). The install was also easy. I installed it just as this picture shows (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...2/IMG_1804.jpg), meaning silver washer at the body side on both sides of the car. I also added some white lithium grease to the threads just to make sure it's easy to adjust. There are 2 different widths of spacers in the heads of the arms, so only 1 size fits in one spot on the body in the ears, and the other fits in the other spot. It's hard to misplace them.

Before tightening the bolts, I attempted to load weight onto the suspension, THEN tighten the bolts in order to get a "nuetral" spot for the rubber bushings. Kind of referencing Wacker's thread here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/d-i-y-relaxing-your-suspension-bushings-887486/

Once the bolts were tightened, I put the wheels back on, packed everything up, and was good to go... or so I thought. I didn't even think about eye-balling the camber/toe after installing the arms. About 100 feet of driving out of the DIY garage, it felt like my car was driving on ice. Putting it back on the lift, i found that my rear toe was now wayyy out (previously way in). So the front of the tires (pointing towards the front of the car) was pointing out away from the body, instead of "in" like it used to. Adjusted the arms to nuetralize both toe and camber, just by judgement, dropped the car and drove off. This time, it was much better.

Tomorrow I'm taking it into Firestone to align everything properly. I didn't get the chance to install the front upper ball joint, that'll be for another time. For now, I just wanted to fix my toe problem.

I also popped out the XXR center caps, because they're ugly as balls. I'm going to prep my Acura caps (all black, A gunmetal) and pop them in.

I feel accomplished :smile: Thanks again Matt (McCollins32) and Les. And more kudos to the DIY garage in KC :thumbsup:

McCollins23 06-18-2013 11:47 PM

Glad you got (most) everything accomplished. Sorry I couldn't stick around, I would've much rather been there instead of work :ugh:

Shoeface 06-18-2013 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by McCollins23 (Post 14538901)
Glad you got (most) everything accomplished. Sorry I couldn't stick around, I would've much rather been there instead of work :ugh:

Yeah work sucks, I would have liked you to stick around :wink:

Btw

Attachment 110650

Shoeface 06-19-2013 12:07 AM

Oh, I also lowered the rear coils 1 full thread turn and the front 1/2 thread turn in an attempt to make it more level. I think I need to drop it some more, but it looks even now.

I need some good pics sometime. Who's in the KC area that's good at that?

McCollins23 06-19-2013 12:22 AM

Eric is good, He is who did most of my pics. Try to come to the next breakfast cruise, I'm sure someone there can hook it up. :thumbsup:

swoosh 06-19-2013 11:27 AM

dude even if I was in town, Camber kit is something that I do not mess with....If I ever have to change mine, I would rather pay someone to do it LOL...

glad you got it fixed and get it aligned so you wont be "driving on ice" LOL

Shoeface 06-19-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by swoosh (Post 14539525)
dude even if I was in town, Camber kit is something that I do not mess with....If I ever have to change mine, I would rather pay someone to do it LOL...

glad you got it fixed and get it aligned so you wont be "driving on ice" LOL

Haha the install was fairly easy once I got the bolts removed. Got my car back from Firestone today and the alignment is on point! The guy said that the kit was really easy to adjust, and everything looked good.

I also put in my hub-centric rings (the rings that go between the wheel and the hub) because I noticed at higher speeds I was getting vibration in the steering wheel.

Next I'm going to order some new center caps, paint them, and swap out the XXR caps.

rockstar143 06-19-2013 06:52 PM

Nicely done, man...nothing like a perfectly lowered and aligned car :thumbsup:

Shoeface 06-19-2013 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 14540325)
Nicely done, man...nothing like a perfectly lowered and aligned car :thumbsup:

I hear that!

Also finally measured my drop. If a stock TL is at roughly 27" from ground to top of wheel well lip, then I'm sitting on a 2" drop to 25" :thumbsup:

No rubbing yet, still might go lower.

Steven Bell 06-19-2013 11:04 PM

Nice work, David.

swoosh 06-20-2013 01:27 PM

Go lower and get the alignment done again....

I would run a little neg camber...makes it look better :nod:

Lets meet up....will be back in town on 25th/26th June....

rockstar143 06-20-2013 02:06 PM

I personally prefer the upper 1 arm system for the rear...good option for you guys with seized lower...
anyway, I probably started around 25 too...now, 24. :)

Shoeface 06-20-2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 14541870)
I personally prefer the upper 1 arm system for the rear...good option for you guys with seized lower...
anyway, I probably started around 25 too...now, 24. :)

I'm guessing my toe bolt was seized/rusted which is why it wasn't adjustable to fix my toe. Anywho, the 2 arm kit is nice. I'm thinking about dropping it another half inch, an inch at the most.

Originally Posted by swoosh (Post 14541771)
Go lower and get the alignment done again....

I would run a little neg camber...makes it look better :nod:

Lets meet up....will be back in town on 25th/26th June....

When I got it aligned Wednesday, I actually asked for a bit of neg camber. So now I'm actually sitting at -1.4FL, -1.6FR (0.3 cross camber), -1.2RL, -1.2RR camber (0.0 cross camber) so if you mean a little neg camber per tire, I already got it :thumbsup:

swoosh 06-20-2013 05:45 PM

:perfect:

on ingalls front the max you can go is 1.5degs so I like to stay at 1....not point putting stress on suspension items ;)

Shoeface 06-20-2013 06:44 PM

^^^ agree!

Though I haven't gotten around installing the front adjustable ball joints yet. I just did the rear arms so far. So the camber in the front is all natural from lowering the suspension. But when I do get the ball joints installed, I was thinking -1.0 to -1.2 to match the rear camber.

Shoeface 06-30-2013 07:41 PM

Finally found a dampening setting I like!

7 clicks front, 6 clicks rear

So I put in my rear seats and made everything clean on the inside, clean on the outside.

Bought new center caps, should be here this week and I'll be able to paint them and slap them in. You know they come silver with a black Acura 'A', well i'm going to reverse that so the cap is black with a gunmetal 'A' to match the wheels/lugs

rockstar143 07-01-2013 10:50 AM

Going to look awesome, man!

Steven Bell 07-01-2013 10:20 PM

Looking forward to seeing it in person, buddy.

rockstar143 07-02-2013 08:06 AM

We're waiting!

swoosh 07-03-2013 10:40 PM

since its a holiday tomorrow, he is prolly getting drunk at a bar....

aah that single life....

Shoeface 07-11-2013 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by swoosh (Post 14562449)
since its a holiday tomorrow, he is prolly getting drunk at a bar....

aah that single life....

Haha yeah, I was in STL and then went to SC for a little vacation :toocool: Just got back yesterday.

I should be doing my center caps this weekend, so tune in then!

swoosh 07-11-2013 03:09 PM

didnt you just come back from a Vacation?

I demand pix of naked we-men now !!!

Steven Bell 07-11-2013 08:06 PM

^^^^ Demanding, isn't he.......

Shoeface 08-16-2013 12:53 PM

So here's my "every 2 month" update :snicker:

As you know, I have done a lot of suspension work recently. I installed Tien SA coilovers and in doing so, I had to install new rear endlinks (Moogs), rear 2 arm camber kit (Ingalls), and now front-upper adjustable ball joints (Ingalls).

The rear is all kosher now, toe and camber in spec, everything is dander back there. The front was a little messed up. The camber was out of spec by a good 1.0 degree, and the only way to fix it was to get some adjustable ball joints so I bought the Ingalls front-upper ball joints. I ended up having a local shop install them for me (Exact Performance on Johnson Drive in Mission, KS. Real cool guys, very helpful.

So the first thing the tech told me when my car was in the air was that my front-upper ball joints were destroyed, gone, shot, etc. There was like at least 1/2inch play when wiggling the wheel, both sides. So my camber may have been that far off due to the bad joints, but I still had the adjustable ones installed just in case (already bought them anyways). After the install, I took it to Firestone to get everything aligned (fo free!) and now it sits nice, tight handling, no more worries about the front wheels falling off :rofl:

I also finally finished my Acura center caps to go in my XXRs. I inverted the colors, so instead of silver cap with black A, I made it black cap with silver A. Check it out

https://i.imgur.com/y60Yn5V.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EqzUaWe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EqM6ovW.jpg

I like how it sits right now, maybe like 1/2 inch more drop at the most, but that's if I actually get around to it. Otherwise, it's staying as is.

I got some new tails coming in a few weeks, and hopefully new headlights too. Still need to install my switchback sidemarkers... Can't wait!

swoosh 08-16-2013 12:59 PM

needs more low....

am in Chicago and hoping I will be in town a lot more starting next weekend....hit me up and we will install the sidemarkers/healights and taillights....

Steven Bell 08-16-2013 10:32 PM

David-those look great!

Anil-don't forget, next weekend we are doing my Brembo's.

rossv1 08-17-2013 12:25 AM

What's happening to those Brembo's Steven? :ninja:

You know what would make the centercaps look better? Moar Low.

Steven Bell 08-17-2013 11:56 AM

Ross, just a repaint. The passenger side, the paint ran because we sprayed it with something that made the paint run a little. So a touch-up is needed. I've actually had some paint crack too in places. So it's time for a refresh.

Shoeface 08-18-2013 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell (Post 14628570)
David-those look great!

Thanks! I like them too. Much better than the XXR ones :tomato:

Originally Posted by rossv1 (Post 14628640)
You know what would make the centercaps look better? Moar Low.

So I've been told moar low makes everything look better.

Gil'sUA5 08-27-2013 04:42 AM

What'd you use to clean the muffler tips? Mine are filthy.

rockstar143 08-27-2013 06:18 AM

Looking good, man!
Don't do switchbacks behind the amber diffuser (if that's what that is)...the white of the switchback behind the amber will make it look green! :(