860_TypeS 2008 NBP TL Type-S 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 06:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
CBB hand down is the best bulb I ever owned.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:30 AM
Night Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just scrolled through this whole thread, great looking TL-S! Excited to see continued progress and updates.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:22 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
How have I missed this thread?!?!
Awesome progress...you took me back 13 years to when I felt inspired to document my progress on my old TL.

Leave the security screw out of the headlight round cap...you can swap the headlight bulbs from the fender well or even engine bay with enough experience and knowing what you're feeling for.
Also, for wrapping wiring or wire loom, get yourself some tesa tape. That's what the germans use.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
CBB hand down is the best bulb I ever owned.
It has impressed me so far, love that all the lights now match color and better output than the old ones.

Originally Posted by mrbreadcrumb
Just scrolled through this whole thread, great looking TL-S! Excited to see continued progress and updates.
Thanks man, its certainly been a lot of work but I love this car.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
How have I missed this thread?!?!
Awesome progress...you took me back 13 years to when I felt inspired to document my progress on my old TL.

Leave the security screw out of the headlight round cap...you can swap the headlight bulbs from the fender well or even engine bay with enough experience and knowing what you're feeling for.
Also, for wrapping wiring or wire loom, get yourself some tesa tape. That's what the germans use.
Thanks man, been following your threads since before I even had a TL. Wish I knew to leave the screws out a few days ago 😑 haha. Would be much easier, I think I might get the front end resprayed eventually though so I can do it then. Just added that tape to my Amazon cart, never heard of it, thanks for the tip!
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 12:14 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts

absolutely, man...
keep on keeping on!
Old 11-06-2022, 09:18 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice and Clean!
Old 01-07-2023, 11:37 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Nice car!

Your car makes me want to go out and find an Aspec kit.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CasuallyHung
Nice and Clean!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by El_Cheapo
Nice car!

Your car makes me want to go out and find an Aspec kit.
Thank you. They are getting harder to find, but I think it makes these cars look so much better. Some kits for sale on FB groups, I'm sure pricing is ridiculous but they are out there.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Funny story or sad story depending how you wanna look at it...

I have been putting off replacing the 12 bulbs around the navi screen, no reason really just kinda happened that way. Only 2 are out on my other Type S I hardly drive at all so maybe that's why. The #5 bulbs if people know what that means. Anyway...I got around to ordering the 12 oem bulbs from oemacuraparts.com out of Peoria, Arizona. Big fan of theirs. Watched numerous youtube videos on removing the until and replacing the bulbs, and read many threads here about it as well. And I got to thinking..."just what would Acura of Springfield, Missouri charge to do this" as I became less confident in doing this myself and risk frying something. So I shot them an email last Friday 2/10 saying what I was wanting done, I explained I had all 12 OEM bulbs already etc..I still have not received a reply a week later. So yesterday I thought hey, why not see what the Honda dealer would charge for the same exact job? Shot them an email and within 20 minutes had a reply and a quote of $117.00 as long as I supply the bulbs.

So needless to say I'm just gonna let the Honda dealer do it. Less headache for me, and it's on them if anything goes askew. $117 is worth that to me. But it got me thinking...

WTF is Acuras problem geesh...a simple no would suffice. I sent the same email to 3 different addresses, the service dept, parts dept, and one that supposedly goes right to the GM's email. Not one single reply. One email to the Honda dealer and a response back in 20 minutes? I should have known better then to expect much from the Acura dealer here. When I bought my front A-Spec lip roughly a year and a half ago I went to them to order it and was told "no that's discontinued" I said "no you can still get one but only in black or white" and the response was they knew nothing about that, that it was discontinued and shows no ETA whatsoever. I went home, called Acura of St. Louis and had the lip ordered and shipped to my door within 2-3 weeks.

Anyways..sorry for the rant... luckily I have a really good relationship with a guy at Acura of St. Louis (I am from there and go "home" 5-6 times a year) and parts wise I'm really happy with oemacuraparts.com buy my goodness the dealership down here is pathetic.

Last edited by jeffstlnote; 02-17-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:00 PM
Pro

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
All set! From Phoenix, to Sacramento, to Seattle, to Des Moines, to KC, to Springfield, MO. Geesh USPS is odd sometimes..

Old 02-22-2023, 08:45 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Good looking car! I'm also from CT.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeffstlnote
Funny story or sad story depending how you wanna look at it... I have been putting off replacing the 12 bulbs around the navi screen, no reason really just kinda happened that way. Only 2 are out on my other Type S I hardly drive at all so maybe that's why. The #5 bulbs if people know what that means. Anyway...I got around to ordering the 12 oem bulbs from oemacuraparts.com out of Peoria, Arizona. Big fan of theirs. Watched numerous youtube videos on removing the until and replacing the bulbs, and read many threads here about it as well. And I got to thinking..."just what would Acura of Springfield, Missouri charge to do this" as I became less confident in doing this myself and risk frying something. So I shot them an email last Friday 2/10 saying what I was wanting done, I explained I had all 12 OEM bulbs already etc..I still have not received a reply a week later. So yesterday I thought hey, why not see what the Honda dealer would charge for the same exact job? Shot them an email and within 20 minutes had a reply and a quote of $117.00 as long as I supply the bulbs. So needless to say I'm just gonna let the Honda dealer do it. Less headache for me, and it's on them if anything goes askew. $117 is worth that to me. But it got me thinking... WTF is Acuras problem geesh...a simple no would suffice. I sent the same email to 3 different addresses, the service dept, parts dept, and one that supposedly goes right to the GM's email. Not one single reply. One email to the Honda dealer and a response back in 20 minutes? I should have known better then to expect much from the Acura dealer here. When I bought my front A-Spec lip roughly a year and a half ago I went to them to order it and was told "no that's discontinued" I said "no you can still get one but only in black or white" and the response was they knew nothing about that, that it was discontinued and shows no ETA whatsoever. I went home, called Acura of St. Louis and had the lip ordered and shipped to my door within 2-3 weeks. Anyways..sorry for the rant... luckily I have a really good relationship with a guy at Acura of St. Louis (I am from there and go "home" 5-6 times a year) and parts wise I'm really happy with oemacuraparts.com buy my goodness the dealership down here is pathetic.
I honestly only ever use my local Acura dealer for parts because I became friendly with the parts guy so he hooks me up. Otherwise they are awful. Price from Honda seems fair though, probably 1hr of labor.
Originally Posted by AnthraciteTypeS
Good looking car! I'm also from CT.
Thanks, I've only met a few other local 3G enthusiasts in CT. Should link up at a meet if you still have your car.
Old 07-22-2023, 06:40 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
beautiful ride!
Old 07-22-2023, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by foreignhorrorandmore
beautiful ride!
Thank you!

Haven't updated the thread in a while. Been a bit handful lately, had a ball joint fail on one of the SPC rear camber arms. Thank God it happened in my parents driveway, ordered a new set and threw them on. Then yesterday had the alternator fail on the way to my GF's apartment, just made it there and the battery was dead, alternator smoking.. Good stuff. Got a Denso reman on order that I'll throw in.

Other than that I think the only new things are a set of smoked fog lights to match the rest of the car and new set of 6K switchback sidemarkers from Diode Dynamics. I went through 3 sets of VLEDs and they wouldn't replace my last set that was 2 months out of warranty. Something with those bulbs does not work right for my TL.

Still a few plans for the car until it's "done".

Busted ball joint

New SPC rear camber arms

Smoked fogs
Old 07-24-2023, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I am glad everything work out for you. It nice to see a clean 3G TL as most of them clapp out by now.
Old 07-24-2023, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 860_TypeS

Pre Raceseng Slammer Pic

Geez I wish my leather and interior of mine looked this clean. You've inspired me to do a full detail on mine next time I'm home. BTW is that a gloss cf vinyl you used for the center console? if so where did you get it from? it goes very well with the interior. Solid car, def subscribing to this thread for more updates/motivation.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by subydude
Geez I wish my leather and interior of mine looked this clean. You've inspired me to do a full detail on mine next time I'm home. BTW is that a gloss cf vinyl you used for the center console? if so where did you get it from? it goes very well with the interior. Solid car, def subscribing to this thread for more updates/motivation.
Thanks dude, appreciate the compliments. Unfortunately the leather cracked not too long after I bought the car, so I have the Clazzio seat covers and they are awesome.

The trim has carbon fiber overlay on it, the guy I bought it from had a friend do it for him. I believe H2O Creations on Instagram does it and does a very good job, probably not cheap though.

My brother did CF vinyl on his Speed3 interior trim and it came out good. They do make some glossy CF vinyl that would be way cheaper and you could DIY, some pics I've seen of it installed looked good. Also some guys do hydro dipping on the trim.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 860_TypeS
Thanks dude, appreciate the compliments. Unfortunately the leather cracked not too long after I bought the car, so I have the Clazzio seat covers and they are awesome.

The trim has carbon fiber overlay on it, the guy I bought it from had a friend do it for him. I believe H2O Creations on Instagram does it and does a very good job, probably not cheap though.

My brother did CF vinyl on his Speed3 interior trim and it came out good. They do make some glossy CF vinyl that would be way cheaper and you could DIY, some pics I've seen of it installed looked good. Also some guys do hydro dipping on the trim.
seat covers look awesome and are a good to getting the seats reupholstered. Man, I have some CF 3M vynil but it's matte - that's why I asked if yours was vynil. I've seen some on Amazon that is gloss, I might just roll the dice and buy some.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by truonghthe
I am glad everything work out for you. It nice to see a clean 3G TL as most of them clapp out by now.
Thankfully most stuff on these cars is easy enough to DIY. And yea, most TL's I see are in rough shape. Hope all is well with your fleet.

Originally Posted by subydude
seat covers look awesome and are a good to getting the seats reupholstered. Man, I have some CF 3M vynil but it's matte - that's why I asked if yours was vynil. I've seen some on Amazon that is gloss, I might just roll the dice and buy some.
My brother also did the 3M matte carbon. I saw a thread on a BMW forum where a guy did the gloss vinyl and it looked great in pics. I'd give it a go if I didn't have the cf overlay, worst case scenario you just remove it. Post some pics for sure if you end up installing it.