XLR8 J-Pipe - Back in Stock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
XLR8 J-Pipe - Back in Stock!!!

BACK IN STOCK!!!

The XLR8 J-pipe is 100% stainless steel, utilizing T304 stainless steel. The primaries are equal length 2.25" piping which transition into a 2.5" collector with stainless steel flanges and hangers. Our test fitments have shown that the hanger is located in different locations so we have come with a bolt on style hanger to support the weight of the j-pipe. Here are the pics:

Here are the dyno #'s:

This is dyno graph a few months before showing the difference on the vehicle with the XLR8 catback exhaust for the TL-S:

This is the dyno graph showing the gains of the j-pipe. Dyno conditions were similar; in fact there was more humidity and a higher temp on this day so it might even make more power:

Peak gains were 7 whp and 16 ft lbs of tq to the wheels but this car was making tons of torque and hp in the lower to mid RPM range.

We also have XLR8 test pipes and high flow third cats available:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...e/b-10668.aspx
Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered yesterday, "Out for Delivery" today. Cant wait to get this on the car!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

does the stock manifold peice that bolts to the block flow adequet enough? just curious about the difference between the J pipe and a header other then the price difference.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 00suprchrgdAV6
does the stock manifold peice that bolts to the block flow adequet enough? just curious about the difference between the J pipe and a header other then the price difference.
There is no header for the 3rd gen TL. The pre-cats are not removed with this and the gains with the j-pipe are pretty significant.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Only a few left!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
need one for the cl ?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cleptosis
need one for the cl ?
For the CL you can get the entire system (headers):

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-130510.aspx
Old 08-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Excelerate:

I've toyed with the idea of installing a J-Pipe in my '04 manual TL and have a few questions, if you don't mind.

If I decide to go this route, I would be keeping the rest of the stock exhaust in place and there are no other mods on the car - it is box stock. I noticed that you mentioned the greatest gains appear in the low to mid-RPM range and frankly, that is where most of us operate most of the time so those gains are the most useful. With an otherwise stock system, can one still expect your J-Pipe to give noticeable and useful gains for everyday street use?

Also, do you ship with all necessary components (gaskets in particular)? Is there any problem with ground clearance (remember, mine is untouched) or clearance with other undercarriage items? Also, I imagine that since the rest of the exhaust would be left as is, there would be virtually no increase in cabin noise - is this true? What about droning in the range where the harmonics most cause this between 1700 and 2200 RPM?

I'm not at all new to add-ons and modding> I've just held off because this car is really quite good as is. Just giving this some thought again, that's all.

Thanks,
SB

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 08-29-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Excelerate:

I've toyed with the idea of installing a J-Pipe in my '04 manual TL and have a few questions, if you don't mind.

If I decide to go this route, I would be keeping the rest of the stock exhaust in place and there are no other mods on the car - it is box stock. I noticed that you mentioned the greatest gains appear in the low to mid-RPM range and frankly, that is where most of us operate most of the time so those gains are the most useful. With an otherwise stock system, can one still expect your J-Pipe to give noticeable and useful gains for everyday street use?

Also, do you ship with all necessary components (gaskets in particular)? Is there any problem with ground clearance (remember, mine is untouched) or clearance with other undercarriage items? Also, I imagine that since the rest of the exhaust would be left as is, there would be virtually no increase in cabin noise - is this true? What about droning in the range where the harmonics most cause this between 1700 and 2200 RPM?

I'm not at all new to add-ons and modding> I've just held off because this car is really quite good as is. Just giving this some thought again, that's all.

Thanks,
SB
With an otherwise stock system, can one still expect your J-Pipe to give noticeable and useful gains for everyday street use?

Yes you can. Of course, the more free flowing the rest of the exhaust the more power you will make.

Also, do you ship with all necessary components (gaskets in particular)?

Yes.

Is there any problem with ground clearance (remember, mine is untouched) or clearance with other undercarriage items?

No. Our j-pipe has plenty of clearance unless you are slammed (2" or more).

Also, I imagine that since the rest of the exhaust would be left as is, there would be virtually no increase in cabin noise - is this true?

Since you are flowing more exhaust, the exhaust note might get slightly louder but nothing significant.

What about droning in the range where the harmonics most cause this between 1700 and 2200 RPM?

None.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 PM
10th Gear

Does it affect MPG and what is involved in the installation?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any change in tone at idle or start? I currently have a comptech and trying to keep on the quiet side but wouldn't mind the performance gains from this j-pipe.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cision
Does it affect MPG and what is involved in the installation?
Yes it will improve MPG while cruising. It's 9 nuts/bolts; it should take 30-60 minutes to install depending on how rusted your bolts are.

Originally Posted by dori604
Any change in tone at idle or start? I currently have a comptech and trying to keep on the quiet side but wouldn't mind the performance gains from this j-pipe.
No real exhaust note change; the exhaust will get slightly more aggressive b/c you're flowing more exhaust.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:05 PM
10th Gear

How much of an improvement? I want to know how long till the j-pipe pays for itself.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:14 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How much of an improvement? I want to know how long till the j-pipe pays for itself.
Seriously? We're not talking about florescent light bulbs here we're talking about a performance modification for a car. If anything your gas mileage overall will probably decrease because you're going to want to lay into the gas more to feel the power.

I don't usually lay into people, but that really is a pretty asinine question.

BTW Josh I'll be placing an order here pretty soon!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
cision,

In my experience with the J-pipe, I did *not* get an increase in gas mileage. And, I do watch my gas mileage carefully all of the time.

But, I did feel an increase in performance. If you get the J-pipe, do it for the power increase and *not* for the gas mileage increase (which was non extant in my case).

WELCOME TO THE FORUM (well, at least to posting replies)
Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Seriously? We're not talking about florescent light bulbs here we're talking about a performance modification for a car. If anything your gas mileage overall will probably decrease because you're going to want to lay into the gas more to feel the power.

I don't usually lay into people, but that really is a pretty asinine question.

BTW Josh I'll be placing an order here pretty soon!
It might be an asinine reason for you but not for me. The primary use of my car is to drive to work. I drive 1 to 1.5 hours (depending on traffic) each way to work. Gas milage is a big deal. If i can improve my gas milage and make the car more fun to drive its a no brainer. If it reduces my gas milage then i probably dont want to do it.

Inaccurate thanks for the welcome.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Just to clarify.

I did not get an increase in gas mileage that I could notice. This is based on watching my MID readout daily and keeping track mentally. I use my car only for commuting to work (consistent usage pattern = consistent avg mpg), which is approx 1 hour per each direction. I estimate it is equivalent to 2/3 City and 1/3 Highway.

However, it would be wrong of me to say that I had absolutely no increase in gas mileage. The MID reads MPG to the nearest whole number. I keep track mentally. My mileage could had increased by 1/2 or 3/4 mpg without me noticing. Plausible.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

It might be an asinine reason for you but not for me. The primary use of my car is to drive to work. I drive 1 to 1.5 hours (depending on traffic) each way to work. Gas milage is a big deal. If i can improve my gas milage and make the car more fun to drive its a no brainer. If it reduces my gas milage then i probably dont want to do it.

Inaccurate thanks for the welcome.
You might gain 1 MPG. It won't be anything astronomical. And you won't lose MPG unless you do Wide Open Throttle runs all the time.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

What are the price of these things ?
Old 09-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Drunkonjack
What are the price of these things ?
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-236895.aspx
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
10th Gear