Who makes J-pipes and what's the power/price?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 AM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stvtec
^ Post of the year nominee. Excellent use of smilies.
+1 agreed
Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
i've got richies v3 jpipe and xlr8 quad exhaust.

the sound is sex.

i just got an aem v2 intake.

after i install it, better sex.

waiting on the richies v3 pcds.

after i install it, best sex ever.

...now what kind of videos were you looking for?
Nice... lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
You will not make that much gains or more from the XLR8 J pipe and 3rd cat delete than the RV6 V3. You will not make 14 HP out of a Takeda CAI. Youve been highly misinformed. With the RV6 V3 it would be cheaper than your combo also.

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Ok so here is what I'm going to do after chatting with josh after looking at his very informative response in this thread while listenin to Justins video. I want what you want. More power int the area of the rpm's I use everyday. I"ll be doing XLR8's J-pipe (15-20hp/20-25tq) w/ 3rd cat delete (4-5hp/no tq #'s given) while keeping stock exhaust. This will give me the power I want while upping the mellowness a few db's. I can't not look past getting the Takeda CAI (14hp/14tq) to hear the j32 spraying VTEC at full song making the total gain a decent estimated minimum-(33hp/34tq) or MAXIMUM-(39hp/39tq w/o 3rd cat delete tq #'s). These are my estimates and no one else's. I may think to add exhaust later but doubt it for only 10 for an avg of 900.00. I work off a scale of horsepower per dollar. XLR8's J-pipe makes the most power for the money And that is why I chose them over the other 2.

I wanted this thread to not only be a place for manufactures to post their #'s and prices but to also let members share with us the set-ups they chose and their opinion after install with power, mpg differences or if they experienced and droan with their set-up. Thanks guys. Please keep opinions coming. I may change my mind on the exhaust if i hear the different members set-up vids from inside and out the car
Old 02-04-2011, 01:15 AM

If you really think the Takeda intake makes 14 HP then we have a problem. Less time making threads and more timing searching. If you think the XLR8 J-pipe is the best HP to $$$ ratio then you're wrong again. Bleh thread fail
Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
If you really think the Takeda intake makes 14 HP then we have a problem. Less time making threads and more timing searching. If you think the XLR8 J-pipe is the best HP to $$$ ratio then you're wrong again. Bleh thread fail
That was per takedas dyno themselves so thats called LOOKING. The J-pipe info was listed estimates per XLR8 numbers by Josh.

From Takeda...

The Takeda Retain Intake is a short ram air intake intake system. In recent testing this intake produced 14hp and 14lbs. x ft. of torque. Takeda intakes are constructed out of lightweight clear-coat anodized tubing for maximum air flow and a great style. Each intake uses a large 360 degree high flow PRO Dry S air filter for maximum flow, filtration and convenience. The PRO Dry S air filter requires no oils and cleans with simple soap and water. Takeda intakes come complete with all tubing, filters, couplers and hardware for an easy installation.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

You will not make that much gains or more from the XLR8 J pipe and 3rd cat delete than the RV6 V3. You will not make 14 HP out of a Takeda CAI. Youve been highly misinformed. With the RV6 V3 it would be cheaper than your combo also.
RV6 says on their site the J-pipe make 13hp/7tqvs Xlr8's listings here b4 the 3rd pipe delete so I sir read the fact just as these manufactures posted. So now you are saying they are lying? Please expound???
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
as for the RV6 jpipe

dont look at the peak numbers...
you're looking for the average gained, which moves the power curve throughout the whole power band.

ultimately, its the same as ANX said. if you go the route of the XLR8 pipe with the race pipe.
but, why not have just 1 piece instead of 2?

and is the latest and greatest, too boot!
xlr8 debuted in '08
rv6 came out in march of 2010!!

Last edited by justnspace; 02-04-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sonnick
For the mother 'effin win.
May I as ask which J-pipe you own and your opinion about your set-up. TY.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by justnspace
as for the RV6 jpipe

dont look at the peak numbers...
you're looking for the average gained, which moves the power curve throughout the whole power band.

ultimately, its the same as ANX said. if you go the route of the XLR8 pipe with the race pipe.
but, why not have just 1 piece instead of 2?

and is the latest and greatest, too boot!
xlr8 debuted in '08
rv6 came out in march of 2010!!
Im in an emissions state. I decided against the 3rd delete. I rely on my car to get me places. W/O passing inspection, i'm not in the business of paying fines while trying to drive under the radar.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Im in an emissions state. I decided against the 3rd delete. I rely on my car to get me places. W/O passing inspection, i'm not in the business of paying fines while trying to drive under the radar.
Thats a good thing, because there are no sensors on the 3rd cat delete.
you will not get a check engine light, nor do the inspection techs know that there is supposed to be a cat there. I am due for inspections this month, and will let you know if i pass or not.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Thats a good thing, because there are no sensors on the 3rd cat delete.
you will not get a check engine light, nor do the inspection techs know that there is supposed to be a cat there. I am due for inspections this month, and will let you know if i pass or not.
Okay... I can't know what they know. My luck I get an inspector that owns a TL...lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^no way man, you're overthinking this.

you're just like any other car. i just got my emissions done in october, took all of 25 seconds. you'll be fine.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
^no way man, you're overthinking this.

you're just like any other car. i just got my emissions done in october, took all of 25 seconds. you'll be fine.
Understood... I can't over look the $50 dollar difference either lol. I'm thinking with the set-up i want, the 3rd cat whether there or not wont make much difference. I want my gains to be made in low to mid-range where j32 is lacking that was made-up in the J35. Jo i plan on CAI which yields more low to mid vs SRI. The XLR8 rep lists his AIM to ask him questions and he's been kind enough to answer everyone in an expeditious way. Customer service will make me want to buy a persons product 1st even though it may yield a tad less in areas vs. the other product if that even is the case..lol. I'm appreciating all of you inputs now that were on the same page about my thread. This exactly what I wanted to occur. I hope its helping other members that are in the market.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:12 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
May I as ask which J-pipe you own and your opinion about your set-up. TY.
I have the RV6 V1 Jpipe. I believe it was the 1st ever manufactured Jpipe, but I also was not on AZine at that time.

The V1 is a good piece quality wise, performance wise it's only slightly better than stock. The merge is 2 pipes shoved into one and isn't very free flowing. I am pretty big on performance mods so it doesn't sit well with me currently. However, Richie has made some GREAT improvements on his product, the V3.

I will be doing a custom Jpipe, hopefully by the end of March. This will be similar to the Labree Jpipe, only the collector will "transition" into my 3in exhaust. I should pick up power all over when this is complete.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I'm appreciating all of you inputs now that were on the same page about my thread. This exactly what I wanted to occur. I hope its helping other members that are in the market.
No disrespect Des (I've kept it open to see if it would be different and I'm planning on keeping it open), but your thread is just like every other one like it. Next week, it will be someone else doing the same thing......
Old 02-04-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by ggesq
No disrespect Des (I've kept it open to see if it would be different and I'm planning on keeping it open), but your thread is just like every other one like it. Next week, it will be someone else doing the same thing......
I'm working on something that will help alleviate....
Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ggesq
Understood. I was trying to do something nice. I've only been here since June and you're right about all the j-pipe threads. I never saw one like i was trying to create which to my understanding has been done. For that im sorry. It makes me like one other others posting same subject threads...lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sonnick
I have the RV6 V1 Jpipe. I believe it was the 1st ever manufactured Jpipe, but I also was not on AZine at that time.

The V1 is a good piece quality wise, performance wise it's only slightly better than stock. The merge is 2 pipes shoved into one and isn't very free flowing. I am pretty big on performance mods so it doesn't sit well with me currently. However, Richie has made some GREAT improvements on his product, the V3.

I will be doing a custom Jpipe, hopefully by the end of March. This will be similar to the Labree Jpipe, only the collector will "transition" into my 3in exhaust. I should pick up power all over when this is complete.
Dont you think 3in piping is a little much for n/a?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I'm working on something that will help alleviate....
AJ told me you were. As soon as your done let us know. Hoping to make it a sticky.

Sorry for the thread jack dood.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 AM

If you looked on the Takeda website video, it never showed the actual dyne sheet. It's a gimmick. This is why I say search because if you did, you would know that the 3rd cat delete has no sensor, and any CAI would not make over 5 HP for our cars especially a SRI which could be worse than stock.

I've seen a dyno sheet from a member for xlr8 and a 3rd cat delete and it made 14 whp while the rv6 made 17 whp on the first run and 18 on the 2nd.

Sonnick my friend has 2 Labree performance j pipes (he has 2 TLs) but hes about to get a RR so if you would like one I'll let you know when he sell/trade in the cars
Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Since no one has received the V3 PCD's, we cant really comment.
But by the looks and stats of the V3 PCD's, they are thicker and most likely get rid of the tinny noise associated with rasp.
If this turns out to be true, I wouldn't mind getting me a set.
-Justin
The only thing the thicker walls of the V3's will eliminate is the tinny sound on start up. That sound is caused by thin, hollow pipes as they rapidly heat up. You'll still have rasp with any full primary cat delete.

Ok so here is what I'm going to do after chatting with josh after looking at his very informative response in this thread while listenin to Justins video. I want what you want. More power int the area of the rpm's I use everyday. I"ll be doing XLR8's J-pipe (15-20hp/20-25tq) w/ 3rd cat delete (4-5hp/no tq #'s given) while keeping stock exhaust. This will give me the power I want while upping the mellowness a few db's. I can't not look past getting the Takeda CAI (14hp/14tq) to hear the j32 spraying VTEC at full song making the total gain a decent estimated minimum-(33hp/34tq) or MAXIMUM-(39hp/39tq w/o 3rd cat delete tq #'s). These are my estimates and no one else's. I may think to add exhaust later but doubt it for only 10 for an avg of 900.00. I work off a scale of horsepower per dollar. XLR8's J-pipe makes the most power for the money And that is why I chose them over the other 2.

I wanted this thread to not only be a place for manufactures to post their #'s and prices but to also let members share with us the set-ups they chose and their opinion after install with power, mpg differences or if they experienced and droan with their set-up. Thanks guys. Please keep opinions coming. I may change my mind on the exhaust if i hear the different members set-up vids from inside and out the car
Your numbers are crazy. No offence, but it's pretty naive to believe every dyno chart someone puts in front of you. Besides, different mods add peak power at different points of the rev range, so you can't just start adding peak numbers and expect to achieve the same net gain.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Sonnick my friend has 2 Labree performance j pipes (he has 2 TLs) but hes about to get a RR so if you would like one I'll let you know when he sell/trade in the cars
Really? What's RR?

I may be interested...
Old 02-04-2011, 12:50 PM

He's moving to Cali and getting a Range Rover (go figure)

I'm still waiting on what he does. He transfers in June for work so well see
Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just want to say something that's been said before but you might need more people screaming it to you for it to sink in:

there's no way youre going to see gains of 14hp from a SHORT RAM INTAKE. its completely untrue. You'd gain maybe 3-4ish from a full cold air intake over stock in TLs. short ram will likely be LESS performance than stock since our stock intake isn't bad. If those numbers you see were right for a SRI, I'd be making 20 from AEM V2, and I definitely am not.

That's not to say intakes aren't a fun mod, in terms of sound and coolness factor. It was the first mod I ever did, but just don't go into it expecting huge gains.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I think I smell a shoot-out....there is no way to compare these parts to one another unless they are all dyno'd at the same time on the same dyno. I get what this thread is trying to accomplish but until we get real comparative data it is all going to be circumstantial and subjective.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Hi there, representing the under-represented ATLP J-Pipe, I am here!

First off, here is a little informative article I wrote on the exhaust layout on these J-series engines:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=149

Now I will answer the questions to the best of my ability, however these are all little tough to get right on, and none of the numbers stated by the other companies here are really good comparators to these numbers. I am also assuming stock pre-cats. I am not sure if you are calling the pre-cats "straight pipes" but we don't really refer to them that way. They gain what they gain so you can do that math in your head.

How much power can I expect from ATLP J-pipe if:

A. I leave everything else stock? - on it's own, 11-13 hp
B. Add Hi-flow cats w/ stock exhaust? - with an ATLP metal cat, add about 2-3 more to the j-pipe only
C. Add straight pipes w/ stock exhaust? - about 2-3 more than J-pipe when adding a ATLP race pipe on. Test pipe really isn't worth more than a metal cat is.
D. Add exhaust with cats stock? - A race pipe alone is worth about 5 hp with nothing else done, and a complete system is about 22 hp, so an ATLP j-pipe and ATLP cat-back and a stock cat is probably 15-17 hp.
E. Add exhaust w/ hi-flow cats? - Adds 8 hp or so on top of j-pipe and metal cat
F. Add exhaust w/ Straight pipes? - Adds 8 hp or so on top of j-pipe and race pipe.
G. Is it even worth it to change mufflers while leaving stock piping and what if anything can one expect to gain (HP/TQ) from that?? - What does that have to do with J-pipes? Keep it focused.

I have not looked at the claims of the others but I will say this.

No matter what J-pipe you get, XLR8, ATLP, or RV6, the power is going to be similar. One might be a bit more than the other but it really isn't going to blow you away side by side. Many people prefer ATLP because it is the best combination of ground clearance with the option of keeping the stock cat in, and there for is legal for road use.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM

Haha we all love ATLP. Your exhaust is probably the most sought for single item on AZ!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Hi there, representing the under-represented ATLP J-Pipe, I am here!

First off, here is a little informative article I wrote on the exhaust layout on these J-series engines:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=149

Now I will answer the questions to the best of my ability, however these are all little tough to get right on, and none of the numbers stated by the other companies here are really good comparators to these numbers. I am also assuming stock pre-cats. I am not sure if you are calling the pre-cats "straight pipes" but we don't really refer to them that way. They gain what they gain so you can do that math in your head.

How much power can I expect from ATLP J-pipe if:

A. I leave everything else stock? - on it's own, 11-13 hp
B. Add Hi-flow cats w/ stock exhaust? - with an ATLP metal cat, add about 2-3 more to the j-pipe only
C. Add straight pipes w/ stock exhaust? - about 2-3 more than J-pipe when adding a ATLP race pipe on. Test pipe really isn't worth more than a metal cat is.
D. Add exhaust with cats stock? - A race pipe alone is worth about 5 hp with nothing else done, and a complete system is about 22 hp, so an ATLP j-pipe and ATLP cat-back and a stock cat is probably 15-17 hp.
E. Add exhaust w/ hi-flow cats? - Adds 8 hp or so on top of j-pipe and metal cat
F. Add exhaust w/ Straight pipes? - Adds 8 hp or so on top of j-pipe and race pipe.
G. Is it even worth it to change mufflers while leaving stock piping and what if anything can one expect to gain (HP/TQ) from that?? - What does that have to do with J-pipes? Keep it focused.

I have not looked at the claims of the others but I will say this.

No matter what J-pipe you get, XLR8, ATLP, or RV6, the power is going to be similar. One might be a bit more than the other but it really isn't going to blow you away side by side. Many people prefer ATLP because it is the best combination of ground clearance with the option of keeping the stock cat in, and there for is legal for road use.
Thank you for the info. I appreciate you for that. This thread is becoming the informative thread i hoped. Just to let everyone know, i was very fair and emailed each company to post their info in this thread and i thank you all for that. Members please chime in on you set-ups and opinions. If you have Vids. Please post them up as I and others in the market would love to read these reviews/hear your TL's.

Last edited by ParaSurfer1979; 02-04-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
This was a fun read, but worst thread ever.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timb227
This was a fun read, but worst thread ever.
Thanks for your input about j-pipes and/or the one you have in you TL.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for your input about j-pipes and/or the one you have in you TL.
I have the XLR8 with XLR8 test pipe. I am lowered roughly 1.5" and I need to go over certain dips and bumps in the road slow becasue I do scrape the J-Pipe, even though they say it's good for a 2" drop . Performance was noticable. Putting on PCD next week.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im with you ParaSurfer...you are simply trying to help others out. Some Members on here(wont say any names) always complain about people asking questions that have already been asked. Redundant or not, this is a forum. If it bothers you that much (offended users) then dont read nor reply. Ive searched for help different things and got back too much. Sometimes starting a new one is more definitive and easier to get an answer, instead of looking through pages and pages of replies and not finding out what i wanted. I do like your set-up with the Tekeda intake and xlr8 j-pipe. Preciate the detailed info.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Hopefully soon I will step up and get a j-pipe...I will say this...Ive looked into alot of CAI "dyno sheets" and for our cars they really dont do much at all, due to a great intake system from factory. But CAI in conjunction with other exhaust mods will help out more. I just cant see spending $300-$400 on an intake for almost no real gains. Ive seen more gains on dyno sheets on my two s-10s(4cyl and 6cyl) than the TLs believe it or not.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Instructor

I do like the info on this thread by the way...a lot of info from different users and vendors.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sir Drake
Im with you ParaSurfer...you are simply trying to help others out. Some Members on here(wont say any names) always complain about people asking questions that have already been asked. Redundant or not, this is a forum. If it bothers you that much (offended users) then dont read nor reply. Ive searched for help different things and got back too much. Sometimes starting a new one is more definitive and easier to get an answer, instead of looking through pages and pages of replies and not finding out what i wanted. I do like your set-up with the Tekeda intake and xlr8 j-pipe. Preciate the detailed info.
Desmond or Des (see sig). Thank you for the kind words. I don't have this set-up yet but from reading th stats each vendor was nice enough to post, I've made my decision easier.

Hopefully soon I will step up and get a j-pipe...I will say this...Ive looked into alot of CAI "dyno sheets" and for our cars they really dont do much at all, due to a great intake system from factory. But CAI in conjunction with other exhaust mods will help out more. I just cant see spending $300-$400 on an intake for almost no real gains. Ive seen more gains on dyno sheets on my two s-10s(4cyl and 6cyl) than the TLs believe it or not.
This is going to get touchy when I state this or maybe not but pick the intake (SRI/CAI) on where you want to gain most the power.

Here is what I mean. I bought the TL for its smooth powerband. Not to go out street racing at Wednesday nights local rice fest like my cars previous.

Where the TL is lacking (3.2) is low-end/off the line power which the J-pipe helps. A CAI helps here too where most power is made low rpm to mid-range the starts to taper off thereafter where as SRI doesn't make much off the line due to heatsoak mostly and builds from mid-range to top-end. This is why the Takeda CAI only makes 7hp peak vs. 14hp for SRI but both yield the same 14ft/lbs tq. More than that is the dyno curves prove this hypothesis to be correct.

The J32/35 has no problem making top-end power after the motor begins "spraying" VTEC in that whale of glory sound honda engines are known for.

But i digress...

For the money if you're on a budget, you're better off buying one of these vender's j-pipes vs. an exhaust.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 PM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 07TLTypeS420
Who was whining about something?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Agreed. I want the luxury to stand for the the TL, but something to give a lil oomph off the line. No rice-a-roni wanted.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Banned

Agreed. I want the luxury to stand for the the TL, but something to give a lil oomph off the line. No rice-a-roni wanted.
Then the J-pipe is perfect for you and a drop-in filter. U must hear the J-32 scream
Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Instructor

Preciate.

Quick Reply: Who makes J-pipes and what's the power/price?