UR pulleys - are they out yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UR pulleys - are they out yet?

I was wondering if the Unorthodox Racing Pulleys are yet out for out cars...
I had the whole set a long time ago on the RSX-S and they worked great.
Do you guys think it's safe to replace the crank pulley too on TL?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:49 AM
HMFIC

If you do stop/go driving in the summer, don't you run the risk of overheating? Not good for a daily driver.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Pro

Unorthodox has put out the undive pulley for our car. Currently the only folks I know that have installed it are the V6 7th Gen Accords. The Accords have the same UR Pulley that we do...according to Unorthodox. So far they love it.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:26 AM
Advanced

Did they just put out Underdrive pulleys? What about crank pulley?
Nah, I don't run the risk of overheating. I usually turn climate control to 75 or 76 cause the only thing that gets me sick immeidately is AC. I can't turn it on for long. Next day I wake up feeling as if I have a cold
Old 09-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 6speedRUS
Did they just put out Underdrive pulleys? What about crank pulley?
No crank pulley from them.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by KilroyR1
If you do stop/go driving in the summer, don't you run the risk of overheating? Not good for a daily driver.
Changing the crank pulley has nothing to do with affecting stop and go driving or overheating so please be careful what you say b/c other people might believe what you say.

And no UR has not developed a crank pulley yet for the TL although they are working on one as I understand.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Racer

anyone have any feedback on the underdrive pulley yet?

anyone?

bueller?bueller?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:54 AM
5th Gear

UR does have a underdrive crank pulley out for the 04+ tl. Its the same one as the 03+ accord v6 and the 04+ mdx. The UR part number is 020611402.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lazybum
UR does have a underdrive crank pulley out for the 04+ tl. Its the same one as the 03+ accord v6 and the 04+ mdx. The UR part number is 020611402.
it must have just been released because i looked last week and wasnt their.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:30 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by blktl1
it must have just been released because i looked last week and wasnt their.
hmm weird, you might just have missed it then. Its been out for little over a month now. Several accord v6 owners have already installed it, if the 3rd gen tl is anything like the 7th gen accord v6. The oem crank pulley is on there pretty tight, a standard 1/2" impact wrench wont get it off. UR said they used a 3/4" impact wrench.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/Merc..._Code=tlultraS
Old 09-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Former Sponsor

I didn't even realize they released one for the 04+ TL. $175 shipped on these.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:46 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I didn't even realize they released one for the 04+ TL. $175 shipped on these.
yup, get them on ebay.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 AM
I like to whistle in my

But when messing with a lighten crank and pulley, doesn't it me with the recharging system for battery and alternator? Especially in city driving and stop and go where it's not getting as many revolutions like speeding on the highway?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

yup, get them on ebay.
No, don't get them on eBay. I can get them for you. I am an Official Vendor here and I was just stating my price. From me, they will be $175 shipped.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Meek32v6
But when messing with a lighten crank and pulley, doesn't it me with the recharging system for battery and alternator? Especially in city driving and stop and go where it's not getting as many revolutions like speeding on the highway?
Lightening the pulley doesn't effect recharging or how the RPM of the pulley. It's when you change the diameter of the pulley that it could become a problem. But even then, it's not a big deal unless you have a mongo aftermarket stereo that draws a lot of power. UR does a good job of lighten and underdriving its pulleys so that battery recharging, etc., is not adversely affected. I had a set on my VW, and it worked great.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Racer

$175 shipped on these.
wow, good price...

actually, i was hoping for some feedback as to how well these worked...i'm concerned about an underdrive pulley on a daily driver, and was thinking about waiting for the lightened, stock-sized version...
Old 09-20-2005, 08:00 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mbwmn
wow, good price...

actually, i was hoping for some feedback as to how well these worked...i'm concerned about an underdrive pulley on a daily driver, and was thinking about waiting for the lightened, stock-sized version...
Here is a review of the pulley on a 03 accord v6(same pulley), read through all the pages, a few other people also put up their reviews as well
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=59752

I just got mine installed on my 6 speed v6 today. I can honestly say my engine idles more smoothly now and it feels like it pulls harder in every gear. I haven't really had a chance to really push it past 4700 rpms tho.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:37 PM
HMFIC

Changing the crank pulley has nothing to do with affecting stop and go driving or overheating so please be careful what you say b/c other people might believe what you say.

And no UR has not developed a crank pulley yet for the TL although they are working on one as I understand.
Don't get your panties in a bunch. Did you see the question mark in my question?

What do the pullies slow down to reduce parasidic losses and increase power? What are the side-effects? How much power do the pullies add?

Perhaps a little more information would be helpful.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
Don't get your panties in a bunch. Did you see the question mark in my question?

What do the pullies slow down to reduce parasidic losses and increase power? What are the side-effects? How much power do the pullies add?

Perhaps a little more information would be helpful.
This particular crank pulley is lighter since it's made of aluminum and is underdriven, meaning it's slightly smaller in diameter. The side-effects are the accessories (A/C, alternator, power steering and water pump) are not turning as quickly. On my VW, which had a pulley set rather than just the crank, I didn't notice much difference in terms of side-effects.

Here's a dyno result (taken by UR) for a 2003 Acura CL Type-S 6 speed.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TLover
This particular crank pulley is lighter since it's made of aluminum and is underdriven, meaning it's slightly smaller in diameter. The side-effects are the accessories (A/C, alternator, power steering and water pump) are not turning as quickly. On my VW, which had a pulley set rather than just the crank, I didn't notice much difference in terms of side-effects.

With the 3-piece set from UR in my car, the accessories spin more quickly.

The steering feel in my TL-S had been on the heavier side, but after installing the 3-piece set from UR, the power steering pump is being overdriven and it lightened the steering feel a little bit. Plus the vortex in the PS fluid reservoir is fun to look at.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Racer

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=59752

I just got mine installed on my 6 speed v6 today. .
thnx for the link and the feedback. can you post the part # for the belt so i can have it here if/when i order the pulley?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=TLover] The side-effects are the accessories (A/C, alternator, power steering and water pump) are not turning as quickly. QUOTE]

isn't the water pump driven by the t-belt on this model?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Advanced

Thanks so much for the info!!!
I know what my next mod will be now! I just want to wait till the alternator, power steering and water pump pulleys come out so I'll change the entire set.
I had a full set of pulleys on the RSX-S. And the only thing I noticed was that the steering became a little bit stiffer. But having driven a BMW for the last 1.5 years I'd love to have that stiffer feeling back.
And those extra 15 hp won't hurt.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:02 AM
HMFIC

Originally Posted by TLover

Now that's a good post, thanks! Being sckepitcal, I would never put much faith in a vendor dyno sheet. Getting a 6.2% increase in power seems a little high.

Any independant dyno runs that confirm these results? If so, this is an excellent bang-for-the-buck mod.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:08 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Any news on downsides without running a Harmonic Balancer on the UR pulley... i remember when i had a 6th gen accord and the UR pulley came out most people stayed away because of the Harmonic Balancer not being there.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MugenR
Any news on downsides without running a Harmonic Balancer on the UR pulley... i remember when i had a 6th gen accord and the UR pulley came out most people stayed away because of the Harmonic Balancer not being there.
i don't believe this vehicle uses a "harmonic balancer" in the same sense as the old v-8's...
here's some stuff i found. (it must be true, i found it on the internet!):
http://www.atiperformanceproducts.co...mper_dinan.htm
Old 09-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by MugenR
Myth

4) "Is my crank pulley a harmonic/torsional/vibration damper or a harmonic balancer?"
People are getting their crank pulleys confused with the harmonic dampers found on some V6 / V8 engines. "Harmonic Balancer" is a term that is used loosely in the automotive industry. Technically, this type of device does not exist. The "balancer" part comes from engines that are externally balanced and have a counterweight cast into the damper, hence the merging of the two terms. None of the applications that we offer utilize a counterweight as part of the pulley as these engines are internally balanced.

The pulleys on most of the new import and smaller domestic engines have an elastomer (rubber ring) incorporated into the pulley that looks similar to a harmonic damper. The elastomer in the OEM pulley serves as an isolator, which is there to suppress natural vibration and noise from the engine itself, the A/C compressor, P/S pump, and alternator. This is what the manufacturers call NVH (Noise Vibration & Harshness) when referring to noticeable noise and vibration in the passenger compartment. It is important to note that in these applications, this elastomer is somewhat inadequate in size, as well as life span, to act as an effective torsional damper. If you look at the pulleys on some of the imports there is no rubber to be found at all. We have samples of these, mostly from Acura/Honda, the Nissan Altima, 1.8L Eclipse, 2.3L Fords, Chrysler 2.2L's, and 1.8L VW's, to mention a few. This is not to say that with our pulleys you will hear a ton of noise or feel more vibration from your engine compartment. Most who have installed and driven a vehicle with our pulleys will notice the engine actually feels smoother. This is a natural result of replacing the heavy steel crank pulley with a CNC-machined aluminum pulley. NVH is variable and unique to every car. NVH will increase with the installation of an aftermarket intake and/or exhaust, for example. Think of OEM intake systems in newer cars, they use baffles and resonators in the intake to quiet all the intake noise. Aftermarket intakes eliminate these resonators and create dramatic increases in engine noise from the throttle opening and closing. So to most tuners, certain types of NVH can make the driving experience more enjoyable.

The purpose of a traditional harmonic damper is to protect against crank failure from torsional movement. This is not necessary in most modern engines because of the many advances in engine design and materials. Factors such as stroke, displacement, inline, V configurations, power output, etc., do determine when and how these harmonics and torsional movements occur.

Again, there is a lot of internet hearsay about the pulleys. When engine problems occur, too often people are quick to blame the pulley first, rather than taking the time to look logically into why there was a problem. We hope that after reading this you will understand the crank pulleys better.
I've had the 3-piece set on my '03 TL-S for a while now, and no problems whatsoever.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Cosmo

No, don't get them on eBay. I can get them for you. I am an Official Vendor here and I was just stating my price. From me, they will be $175 shipped.
Is everything included to install this? Do I need a new belt and if so do you sell that as well?
Old 10-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by joeincs
Is everything included to install this? Do I need a new belt and if so do you sell that as well?
The kit only comes with the pulley(s). You will have to buy the belts at NAPA or another auto parts store. The instructions that come with the pulleys will tell you the brand and the part number of the belt(s) they recommend.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Cosmo

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
The kit only comes with the pulley(s). You will have to buy the belts at NAPA or another auto parts store. The instructions that come with the pulleys will tell you the brand and the part number of the belt(s) they recommend.
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Just FYI guys I have a number of these crank pulleys coming in either tomorrow or next week.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mugen....hurry up and get those dynos! im dying to see!
Old 10-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Advanced

im be the first one to have the crank pulley on. i was the one who ordered both of the cranks that excelerate had in stock for the 04+ TL. im having it put on this evening. ill see if it really does anyting and will take pics if i can get a digitical camera.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

are you gonna dyno?
Old 10-09-2005, 02:33 AM
Advanced

nah sorry man. closest dyno to my house is 2.5 hours away and i dont feel like goin that far. but i can tell you that it makes a difference. my buddy with accord v6 6mt coupe with aem v2 and greddy evo 2 and commptech springs ran me before the pulley and kept up with me up until 3rd gear when i started to put about a car on him. it was always like this everytime i ran him. both cars are about the same only with bigger displacement in the TL. the day the crank pulley arrived, he put it on. the next day we ran again and in third gear, he actually started to pull on me. i had one other person in the car including myself and he was by himself if this makes any difference. now, the only way i can pull on him is with good driving, where as before, i could do it while im on the phone. Not to bash on them accords. their about as quick, but they wont hang with a TL if stock. its worth it. the install paper says that it will take 5-7 days before maximum hp is reached so that the engines computer can recalibrate to calculate the engines lighter rotation, but i think its really bullshit. it should do it within a day or so, but we'll see. this is all later man
Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

hey man...u got any updates?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Advanced

we put that thing in today. the bolt was on real tight like unorthodox said. my friend put it in for me who is the head mechanic at the local honda dealership here. he used an impact on it to take it off and it wouldnt nudge. so he took a big ass breaker bar and after several tugs, the bolt started twisting. the weight is a big improvement from 10 pounds to 2. i really didnt think it would make a difference, being that it wasn't something major, but honestly, the car does feel quicker. my friend also said the same thing after he drove it. we ripped it up before we put the crank on and after, he as was i were really impressed with this thing. when we dumped the pedal in 1st gear, the tires always broke loose throughout the powerband. now the tires break loose even faster and the rpms rise crazy fast. if you have 6mt, you can really see improvments. it was well worth the 170 that i paid. i thot it was all a myth until after we drove the car. it pulls harder now and breaks loose in first gear like it is its job. i dont know if i got any hp gains, but i can feel the torque pull in the car a lot more. this crank is worth the money.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

thanks for the review man.....you inspired me...definatly getting this after i get the comptech rear sway bar....
Old 10-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

also...ive been reading up on the UR Crank Pulleys.....are they bad for the Crank? i can't find any reliable information. ive heard of the Harmonic Balance thing....but UR says that you don't need a dampener because of the size and the weight of the UR Crank which will decrease sound and Harmonic Imbalances....can someone guide me with a correct answer?

Quick Reply: UR pulleys - are they out yet?