UR Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
do it and if u dont like it.... put it back to original and blackmarket the piece....guaranteed someone would take it off u in 24hours. one of the easiest mods to install and enjoy.... the motor is just ready to give the tranny all its got. To be honest with u.... I didnt even want the piece but I said to myself...u know what if i dont get it now, ill never think of it again and prob wouldnt get it....whats the worst that can happen??? sell it for 20 less than i bought it for? and then allon came up to me and said dude u gonna get the pulley or what?!

True..I'm just nervous about possibly messing up a $40,000 car! It seems like Murphy's Law follows me around a lot. I also purchased the extended warranty, so I could do this mod after the warranty expires....in 10 years!!

But I drove Buda's car with the UR Pulley on it....WOW, very nice !!!

2009 Kansas City All Acura Meet-May 17th
https://acurazine.com/forums/midwest-312/kansas-city-2009-spring-all-acura-meet-may-17th-12pm-%40-jay-wolfe-acura-714994/
Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 AM
TEAM INFIDEL!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had my pulley on for awhile now and love it. I drive quite a few miles to work and back and it has helped on gas mileage also.

The car just seems to go thru the accelleration alot more effortlessly. Also it should be mentioned i put mine on at 80,000 miles and no problems what so ever.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Leather so soft.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i feel no difference with my pulley.....maybe just me.....might feel better with automatic.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
murphys law has followed me all my life and it still kickin! lol!!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Racer

i purchased a ur pulley from xlr8 a few months ago and just installed it today...knew a guy locally that charged me $50 bucks and did everything in less than 15 minutes. he didn't even take the tire off...just used his lift and turn the wheel and got in there...wow its much better
Old 05-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned

The Pulley Story

Shawn Baumgartner (owner of Unorthodox Racing) will NEVER tell you there is any danger to his product. I have argued with him in the past about this, he is an idiot. He also will not pay for your engine repairs, he only warrants his crank pulley for manufacturing defects. He does NOT warrant any incidental or consequential damages, and has not paid any claims for damage attributed to his product because his warranty is very specific.

Ask Guillermo Polo, Michael Gaari, Lance at Toyomoto in Miami, and a host of other owners what happens when you remove your harmonic damper and replace it with a UR pulley. Flexplate bolts back out. Crank position wheels break and rotate so the engine either won't start at all, or will fail intermittently while driving. Rod and main bearings show unusual wear patterns. And a host of other wonderful things.

The flywheel change has NO negative effects. Zip. Zero. Nada. Nil. It will not void your warranty, but I guarantee you, the UR pulley will because Toyota will show up in court with the same documentation I've linked here and you'll be screwed. It is a BAD mod, and should not be recommended by any reputable engine builder. NO domestic engine builder would ever recommend removing a torsional damper and replacing it with a solid pulley. They know all too well what will happen to a cast crank without a damper: it will break, without any doubt. This is why Fluidamper, ATI, and TCI have a booming business with domestic engines. It is not only bad physics, but it is also bad business to replace a damper with a solid pulley.

http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampers/101/index.htm

http://www.suprasonic.org/public_htm...atedamper.html
Old 05-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

The very fact that some see similar track gains (minimal in other words) for a pulley shows you right there that neither "free up" hp, they simply aid in increasing engine speed. That gain in minimalized on a 1/4 mile run, because you are helping the ENGINE accelerate faster. Once you relate that to the gearing, and the different rate of acceleration at the wheels, you negate most of its efffect. If it truly "freed up" hp, the flywheel would produce significantly better results at the track than the pulley easilly. So there goes that argument. Again, the result is in CHANGING the cranks speed, not in power output. If you put two wheels in space, one much heavier than the other, and spin them with a motor.. guess what? The heavier one will be harder to spin up, but easier to slow down. If you remove the force from them they both spin the same amount of time.. .forever. That is because rotational inertia has NO impact on the power output at the end of the system.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Jesus man, one day I will buy the pulley the next day I rather spend my money somewhere else. Today a RSB is my choice, in the next two hours who knows.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:25 PM
6th Gear

where can i get the pulley from and whats the difference between ur pulley and stock size pulley?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SupplierMan
Shawn Baumgartner (owner of Unorthodox Racing) will NEVER tell you there is any danger to his product. I have argued with him in the past about this, he is an idiot. He also will not pay for your engine repairs, he only warrants his crank pulley for manufacturing defects. He does NOT warrant any incidental or consequential damages, and has not paid any claims for damage attributed to his product because his warranty is very specific.

Ask Guillermo Polo, Michael Gaari, Lance at Toyomoto in Miami, and a host of other owners what happens when you remove your harmonic damper and replace it with a UR pulley. Flexplate bolts back out. Crank position wheels break and rotate so the engine either won't start at all, or will fail intermittently while driving. Rod and main bearings show unusual wear patterns. And a host of other wonderful things.

The flywheel change has NO negative effects. Zip. Zero. Nada. Nil. It will not void your warranty, but I guarantee you, the UR pulley will because Toyota will show up in court with the same documentation I've linked here and you'll be screwed. It is a BAD mod, and should not be recommended by any reputable engine builder. NO domestic engine builder would ever recommend removing a torsional damper and replacing it with a solid pulley. They know all too well what will happen to a cast crank without a damper: it will break, without any doubt. This is why Fluidamper, ATI, and TCI have a booming business with domestic engines. It is not only bad physics, but it is also bad business to replace a damper with a solid pulley.

http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampers/101/index.htm

http://www.suprasonic.org/public_htm...atedamper.html

Uh oh......
Old 05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave_B
Uh oh......
Yikes! These lightweight pulleys have way too much risk for me.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Pro

Aren't the 3 g acura tl motors balanced form the inside and not the wheel?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Pro

To make this fair because there has been a bit of defamation of character here, how long have the pulleys been in use with 3g and how many peole have had the said problems?

I personally don't believe it is an issue.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bender
To make this fair because there has been a bit of defamation of character here, how long have the pulleys been in use with 3g and how many peole have had the said problems?

I personally don't believe it is an issue.
Bender...to answer your question i think i've seen somewhere on this site that folks installed the pulley and have not seen any problems with alot of mileage as well.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 50k on my pulley and no issues. car still starts like its new....never had any issues pertaining to this. I have a pretty good relationship with my tech at the dealer and Im more than sure the guy wouldve told me its not a good idea to do it if he saw failure from it constantly.
Im not even going to argue supplier man because he is correct, technically.... the balancer is used to absorb hits from the crank that it recieves from the pistons going up n down creating resonance on the crank that the pulley absorbs. some people say over long periods of abuse or just "weather alone".... the crank can be damaged or it'll develop cracks due to not having the dampener on there and the car is abused... I dont see how weather can effect it unless its always going through extreme changes in a few mins every few mins.
I know that the acura motors are balanced from the inside and very very accurately done. But I have heard the underdrive pulley on a blown tl makes the belt fly off..... and it makes sense because of the forced induction for the crank to have a resonant frequency that isnt intended by honda....but on a bone stock or slightly modded N/A motor is dont see it occuring unless the motor stays at 10k rpm all day and night.....and with some drivers on this site i can see it happening but unlikely.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
There's alot of good discussion in this thread.
For all the people who own this pulley now.
Have you REALLY seen MPG gains after installing one?
Some posts are claiming 3mpg gains, that's ridiculous huge to me.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Yeah I was just reading through this as well and the first couple pages I'm like hell yeah, gonna buy this!! By the time it got to page 3-4 with some of the posts I read, I was like how to feel about putting one on.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by The Machine
Yeah I was just reading through this as well and the first couple pages I'm like hell yeah, gonna buy this!! By the time it got to page 3-4 with some of the posts I read, I was like how to feel about putting one on.
I'm kind of in the same position, I'm at 95k miles now and was thinking about doing the pulley with the 105k mile service.

Not sure now though .. has anyone with the pulley had any major engine problems? Most of this thread is a few years old now.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

^^ I wound up pulling the trigger and had the pulley put on. I haven't had any problems thus far. But then again I've probably only put 1k on the car since having it installed.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
i just got this recently installed on my car also about 2 weeks ago.. feels great car revs up faster. i have a manual and havent noticed any harder shifting. i use gm synchromesh for all the manual guys out there. it helped with the 1st - 3rd gear. sometimes wouldnt get into gear or get stuck. the pulley took the mechanic i brought it to 25 minutes to install. tire off. break bolt with impact. install new one. put in belt. doesnt take long 40 bucks
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Cruisin'

I see alot of manual trans running this....only saw one or 2 posts from folks with auto. I have 05 auto with 40k on it. Any harder shifts experienced?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
i have an 07 TL-S (auto) with the UR stock sized pulley and no adverse side effects.

RPM's jump quicker and faster shift points. i love it.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by IrishTL05
I see alot of manual trans running this....only saw one or 2 posts from folks with auto. I have 05 auto with 40k on it. Any harder shifts experienced?
I have the Underdrive one installed on my 04 Auto, installed 9k miles ago and love it.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

I also have an auto trans, 08 Base and have had no problems thus far.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
I want to get one for my car so bad..
Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 PM
7th Gear

This is an excellent modification, had full bolt-ons on my old 7g Accord and this was my favorite mod, something like $220 shipped for the pulley and belt, $50 to have a shop impact the stocker off and put this on. The difference feels like you dropped off two adults from your car.

Also to those arguing about the detrimental effects, let's recap how many people from these communities have put tens of thousands of miles on their cars with this pulley installed, and how many of them have seen an engine failure with this on? None, from what I've seen, and what it sounds like. How many people have seen an engine failure on their +-100k mile Honda/Acura? Probably about the same percentage of those who have had an engine fail with this pulley on, I'm guessing. In other words, if you thrash on your car and starve the bearings for oil taking mad tite corners with a quart or two low on oil guess what, you're going to find that your bearings do in fact have unusual wear patterns.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-08-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Merged Posts