type-s exhaust... questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
type-s exhaust... questions!

I recently had a fender bender in my 04 TL, i ordered 2007 TL(not type-s) parts, including rear bumper cover and tail lights. there was some miscommunication and i received type-s parts.

the body shop clearly made a mistake and offered to re-order parts and change everything for me. i decided to keep the type-s parts, cause it pretty much looks awesome.

anyway, everything looks great except the exhaust tips, obviously not meant for that bumper cover. i've already looked into the type-s exhaust, and realize its near impossible to replace only the tips.

here are my questions.

is it possible to replace only tips?

is the type-s exhaust a better performing exhaust? stainless material?? thicker pipes??

if i'm going to spend the money to purchase the type-s exhaust, what are my other options as far as after market exhausts?

thanks for the help, i appreciate any information.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:40 PM
wdp skyhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CC___TL
I recently had a fender bender in my 04 TL, i ordered 2007 TL(not type-s) parts, including rear bumper cover and tail lights. there was some miscommunication and i received type-s parts.

the body shop clearly made a mistake and offered to re-order parts and change everything for me. i decided to keep the type-s parts, cause it pretty much looks awesome.

anyway, everything looks great except the exhaust tips, obviously not meant for that bumper cover. i've already looked into the type-s exhaust, and realize its near impossible to replace only the tips.

here are my questions.

is it possible to replace only tips?

is the type-s exhaust a better performing exhaust? stainless material?? thicker pipes??

if i'm going to spend the money to purchase the type-s exhaust, what are my other options as far as after market exhausts?

thanks for the help, i appreciate any information.
you could go with the comptech exhaust.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigmoetl1
you could go with the comptech exhaust.
thats the only one i know of right now...that doesn't exactly solve the problem of the tips being out of place though. i would love to get type-s tips. i wont even mind getting the whole exhaust system, but i'd only buy the whole exhaust if i knew there was some performance enhancement.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:09 PM
wdp skyhawk

yeah i feel you it has to be some performance considering it is a bigger motor
Old 02-14-2007, 03:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Could you measure how much space, width wise you have with the type-s exhaust cutout?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:42 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

http://hondanews.com/CatID3014?mid=2...58678&mime=asc

Originally Posted by Honda News
HIGH-FLOW EXHAUST SYSTEM WITH CLOSE-COUPLED CATALYZERS

To reduce weight and move the engine's two primary catalytic converters as close as possible to the combustion chambers, the TL and TL Type-S exhaust manifolds are cast right into the cylinder heads. A 900-cell per-square-inch (600-cell per-square-inch in Type-S) high efficiency converter mounts directly to the exhaust port of each cylinder head for extremely rapid converter light off after the engine starts. This mounting system has the added benefit of eliminating traditional exhaust header pipes for a significant weight savings.

To ensure optimum flow and reduce backpressure, a hydroformed 2-into-1 collector pipe carries spent gases down to a 350 cell per-square-inch secondary converter under the passenger cabin.

After the catalytic converter, the TL Type-S exhaust flows through two underfloor mufflers and dual rear silencers to reduce backpressure.

The TL Type-S features an exhaust system with 14 percent better flow than the TL, with larger pipes through much of its length. Tuned for an aggressive sound befitting
the high-performance image of the Type-S, the system also features finishers with large quad outlets (two on each side).
Old 02-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Could you measure how much space, width wise you have with the type-s exhaust cutout?
we're currently in the middle of a winter storm here in ny, so im not gonna run outside to measure at this moment. but its about 7-8 inches. you have an idea for me???
Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
this is a big help in making my decision, thank you. any idea where i can purchase the type-s stock system? i'd rather not buy from the dealer, if possible.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Well, the only solution besides OEM, is either find a junkyard, and have them chop off the mufflers only of an 07, or go custom. But I'll keep ya updated if anything...im still brainstorming to make that quad setup work!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Well, the only solution besides OEM, is either find a junkyard, and have them chop off the mufflers only of an 07, or go custom. But I'll keep ya updated if anything...im still brainstorming to make that quad setup work!
thanks man let me know, ill let you know if i figure something out. the guy at my body shop is trying to help me also, because although he did great work. it looks as if his mistake could become another costly upgrade for me.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
why not just get the entire 07 exaust and bumper cover so you have it. THen if ou fel like it, get the E-Shift Pro Cats for better flow and alot of TQ and HP gains..
Old 02-14-2007, 04:25 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CC___TL
thanks man let me know, ill let you know if i figure something out. the guy at my body shop is trying to help me also, because although he did great work. it looks as if his mistake could become another costly upgrade for me.
Way to make lemonade from lemons...

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

Parts 14 and 15 - About $600 before shipping, and that's assuming the hangers are in the same place (they certainly appera to be)...

I wish someone would rearend me.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
why not just get the entire 07 exaust and bumper cover so you have it. THen if ou fel like it, get the E-Shift Pro Cats for better flow and alot of TQ and HP gains..
that looks like a good possibility, i was trying to save some money initially. this all started cause my friend hit my car and is paying for everything. i ordered regular 07 parts, got the type-s parts by accident. loved the way it looked but hate the way the old exhaust tips looked, so tried to complete the cosmetics with out spending too much money our of my pocket.

but it looks like to have anything done right it may cost me a couple hundred anyway, so for 4 hundred i might just get the whole system.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Way to make lemonade from lemons...

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

Parts 14 and 15 - About $600 before shipping, and that's assuming the hangers are in the same place (they certainly appera to be)...

I wish someone would rearend me.
thanks alot, now i just have to make the decision. i have a friend in auto body who says he can whip something up so you'd never know the difference cosmetically. but now im sort of liking the idea of the whole exhaust system.

yeah its been a nice little free upgrade so far. ill keep you updated.

here's what she looks like now, ill try to get a pic up as soon as im done.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-14-2007, 06:56 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Do what it takes to make you love your car... and keep it forever.
The upgrades seem free now, but wait until you try to sell and it's flagged as "invloved in an accident".

Good luck, I say go for the TL-S exhuast.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Those grassy fields look so plush.