Turbo 3.5L J-series V6 High CR Build (700+ WHP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Yeah, I probably came on too strong and for that I apologize. We could use a resource like Tony and I hope he sticks around, honestly.

I totally see his way of thinking. My way of thinking is the exact opposite and both will work in different situations. The part that rubbed me the wrong way was saying I don't care about certain things and basically assuming a lot about me. I know a lot gets lost in the written word over the internet so I may have totally overreacted. Plus I usually don't like to talk about someone's setup unless my car is ready to back me up and my car is officially down awaiting the Indy setup which will take at least a year to complete.

I hope you get the updates you're looking for.
all good bud...the peeps who know you, know you mean no harm and are providing useful input...for the new members your are 'that guy'...ya know

I am hoping Tiger will get back and post some updates....
Old 04-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts
Wrong on every count. I've done plenty of road racing events. My previous daily driver is a drag car because making lots of power in a straight line is fun for the drive to work whereas you can't safely exploit the handling limits on the daily drive to work.

There are converters made just for turbo cars. As luck would have it I just happen to own one. The converter doesn't flash in the traditional way. It's very loose right up to it's stall speed meaning I don't have to build boost to hit stall speed of "flash" the converter.

Are you kidding me? I have the drivetrain loaded up with 620lbs of torque AT A DEAD STOP. It's as instant as instant can be. Release the brake and you better have your head against the head rest.

An auto doesn't shift gears, you have uninterrupted power flow which also means you don't have to worry about turbo responsiveness but luckily it's extremely responsive.

From a roll the converter makes sure the engine is always in it's powerband regardless of gear. It provides the load the turbo needs to spool well as well as making sure rpms are never below 2,800rpm regardless of which gear it's in. It makes for a very nice power delivery. I don't understand how you can talk about my spool time when my car and GNs in particular are known for ultra quick spool times and fat powerbands whereas your videos show some of the worst lag I've ever seen. Boost is literally still building up to redline. You make some good peak hp numbers but what a shitty street car with a powerband like that. Those that have been in my car liken it more to a jet. It's a constant pull that once the turbo comes on line is steady until you lift off the pedal. It's always in it's power band and there's no lag once you floor it.

It's initial hit? Of what, 300hp? Who cares if it makes 300 or 320hp NA. Get the boost in as quickly as possible so it can make real power. A 2 point bump in compression is literally worth about 20hp. I would take the quicker spool and lower octane requirements any day over 20hp naturally aspirated hp. It's going to take about .5 seconds for the turbo to run over that 20 additional hp you might get from higher compression.

Wait, did you just say you're purposely reducing exhaust enthalpy in order to delay boost and make more naturally aspirated hp? You don't want "space" inside of the pre turbo exhaust. What can I say, if that's the way you do things, good for you, but some of us don't like turbo lag.

You're not getting off that easy with your numbers either. You're saying you would need a turbo to spool under 2,000rpm? You're saying that additional 1 point in compression is worth several lbs of boost? You might fool some of the guys that have never built a turbo car but don't insult me.

Manufacturers have gone with higher compression turbo cars these days for mpg. The mpg increase from higher compression is where the real benefit lies which probably doesn't apply to those with turbo TLs.

In other words, turbo lag.

So you sit there at 6,000rpm to get any respectable spool, floor it, and then shift gears. Sounds like a great setup. It still won't match a car that's powerbraking and sitting on boost.

So you think my "drag racing" setup that hits full boost at 2,800rpm will not spool instantly from a 6,000rpm hit? There's almost no perceivable lag from 3,000rpm. If I go from a roll and I'm worried about spool I'll powerbrake it and build boost at a steady state speed but that's rarely the case because traction is the bigger problem, not spool.

I have no regard to recovery time or response? Look at your own video, spool is horrendous. It spools right before you have to shift. Mine spools well from a dead stop and is near instant from a roll and it IS instant if I powerbrake. Who are you to talk about what I know or don't know when you haven't gotten your own car figured out?

What's wrong with "prespool"?

No you didn't. I've raced the AWD 911s and the RWD 911s and they get off the line like many cars do on slicks. Maybe you hit the gas before they knew you were racing. Regardless, you were not lined up in a set up race with a starter or a red light to start you where both parties knew they were racing. I don't care if your TL makes 5,000hp you didn't beat a 911 off the line in your FWD TL on 225 tires.

I've driven plenty of the modded CL65 AMGs and the only way you beat one off the line is if the driver got carried away and the traction control which can be too aggressive kicked in.

The bottom line is I was asking why it has the turbo lag it has. If you had not assumed you know me and you know how my car behaves and you know my knowledge level and goals we would be having a nice conversation. I noticed it basically lags all the way to redline. You've done a great job of explaining why. It makes great power and for that you did a great job.
I have noticed your replies are in fact all about drag racing. "Sitting on boost, powerbrake, pre-spool". This discussion will become inconclusive because I actually have nothing against drag racing.

Although you must also consider this, try powerbraking when you are getting onto a highway on-ramp; or how about after a slow city corner as you happen to meet up against a nice street encounter on the go? Not happening. I had a wide range of automatic turbo cars over the years, all with built transmissions, and I had many race transmission shops setup up the converter for me. The goal, was to get something close to what you've described.

My Camry is what I used as a reference for building this TL. It has 225-40-18 tires (on a 9" rim), same as the TL, and NT-01's. At 728 WHP, it can beat a 2010 R35 GTR off a launch and beats it more off a roll. Beats a 500+ WHP Evo IX off the line as well which cuts a 1.7 60-ft at the track. From a roll, the Evo eats dust.

Since then, my Camry became 900+ to 1000WHP in the past two years and plays with 8 second bikes and other 1000+WHP cars in the group now. It has gear based boost, but net power for 1st gear is at 600 WHP. 2nd gear is almost full hit, with boost increasing by RPM for a rising torque curve just for 2nd gear, to prevent upsetting the suspension during the pull. Same 225 tires.

Traction is also about suspension, powerband, and how forces are travelling throughout the car. My cars have a flat torque curve for this reason. You can have totally different traction levels with a class of completely different cars that are yet, limited on the same tire type and size. Basic stuff IMO. Just follow the Formula 1 traction principles, make as much HP and as little torque as possible when limited by tire size, and use proper gearing. Add more torque when there is higher downforce available at speed.

I will post up a video, and in return, you can post up a video of your car too. Perhaps you can try to illustrate your automatic transmission flashing up briskly and going up against something respectable (like a stock low 11 sec car) no staging or powerbrake/prespool. Just floor it and put up a speedo/tach video so we can see your car in action and how the converter flashes up with no delay.

On the video, the highway run is with my engine at hanging at around 5500RPM, and then flooring it. GTR is effectively at 420-460 WHP at the hit, but the Camry leaps it. This is not something you can determine by looking at a dyno graph. My Camry does not make more than 460 WHP at 5500RPM. It just made about the same power but much much quicker in terms of response.

Video:

This is what my dyno graph looked like when it had 720'ish WHP.. Pretty much looks similar to the TL, and on my dyno video, sounds about the same too

Let's not forget about the actual topic of this discussion, It isn't about having the fastest TL in the world, or being the fastest for its power level or quick track times. It's a street cruiser, good manners, fun to drive, responsive, has enough power to take most OEM cars, and leaps cars off the line from a roll. It does that, no complaints.

If I made any wrongful assumptions about your car, I will apologize ahead of time. I am very eager to see your car in action, and displaying all the response of your setup.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tony_the_Tiger:
eLeXkUpe (04-30-2014), EvilVirus (04-28-2014), flexer (04-08-2014), simione (04-18-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
man, that camry is fast!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Becauce... Nascar !
Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Read my sig. You won't be seeing videos of my car until sometime next year.

I'm on vacation so you're going to get 2 minutes of my time from my phone....

You talk about my powerbraking as if there's something wrong with it. However, you sit next to another car a at 5,000+ rpm waiting for the hit as if that's normal.

Now you're talking about racing race tire to street tire? The last ZR1 I beat I destroyed by nearly 10 cars just to 60mph. However, I always state I was on slicks and he was on factory tires because it's not fair for me to say I killed a ZR1 without mentioning the huge traction advantage I had.

In your own dyno you make 150hp at 4,000rpm, yuk. Did a stock Csmry make that low hp numbers? Looking at your torque which is equally low, it looks like you don't come on boost until just before 6k. Again, awful for a street car. Don't talk to me about rolling off the line and beating a GTR that has a driver with a heatbeat. You don't have the traction and you don't have the low end power to roll it off the line even if you didn't spin.

The video shows the GTR sleeping on the line on the first race but still managed to reel you in hard due to superior traction and power off the line. You beat him from a roll which is what you would expect from a car with 200 more hp and I'm guessing 1,000lbs lighter while hanging at 5,000+ rpm.

It really pisses me off that you come on here now while my car is down. I don't care to race you once I'm making 2k hp but I would love to race you with only 600hp teach you a lesson. I'm at full boost by 2,800rpm and my power and is flat all the way through. Boost is all in as soon as you hit the throttle and torque spikes so much in the lower rpms that hp is almost the same st 3,000rpm as it is at 6,000rpm. I raced some LA guys 800whp Supra a couple years back. I love the Supras but this one had the same disadvantage as your car. Slooooooow spool and it was a manual. I got out on him hard enough twice in a row that he couldn't reel me in. It looked like his headlights might have been catching me but it wasn't a close race. Roll races are for people whose cars or drivers are handicapped.

And about my only drag racing, I didn't see your car taking any turns on a road course, just going in a straight line.

It's great you have a quick car but seeing it in action you have never played with the big boys. I'll be more than happy to set you up with some docile street cars while mine is down. And if you want, you have my word that we will race once mine is done, meeting halfway or whatever we come up with as fair both financially and time wise with the chance to win the travel costs and then some back through the race.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:04 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
thats a race I want to see haha
Old 04-27-2014, 03:33 AM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
Both of you stop making asses out of yourselves and chill!

There's waaaaay too many details and facts that are probably being missed over the WORDS you guys are TYPING to even prove 1/2 of what each of you are trying to say. Ugh!

Lol. Wasn't even worth the 10 min I just lost hoping to read about this TL.
The following users liked this post:
flexer (04-28-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by yungone501

There's waaaaay too many details and facts that are probably being missed over the WORDS you guys are TYPING to even prove 1/2 of what each of you are trying to say. Ugh!

It was until IHC crapped on it, then said he didn't want to scare Tony away, then came back again with the Buick race of the century.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 AM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts

Amen!! Couldnt have said it better myself. And this guy knows his shit but he never gets into this mechanic eliteist bullshit these have have wasted our time with.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 AM
Team Owner

I'm glad you guys brought this thread back up to talk shit about talking shit. Watch the personal comments. I didn't shit on anything. The car has turbo lag up the ass and I asked why he chose what he chose. He came back with a bunch of nonsense and assumptions about me so I defended it.

How about waiting until your reading and comprehension skills pass the 3rd grade level before commenting on something that's way over your heads.

Me and Tony "chilled" 20 days ago, I'm not sure why three of you decided to get on your soap box at this point in time to talk shit about something that was dead already. If anyone needs to "chill" it's the last 3 posters. This is why I don't hang around here much anymore, the collective IQ is at an all time low.

Yungone, you guys may have this crazy idea of what I'm about but I've purposely ignored you in other threads because you were very wrong about the long stroke/short stroke stuff and I just don't feel like correcting people and the potential confrontations anymore plus I didn't want to piss you off but this is 3 times you've talked shit to me when it had nothing to do with you, it won't be ignored any longer. I could have reported the unprovoked name calling in the other thread at any time but I didn't.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:52 AM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
IHC, I would love to hear what you have to say about the long stroke, short stroke thing. I feel you balance myself well. I offer lab tested results, you offer real world opinions. If you didn't get so butt hurt all the time from me correcting you I think we would be a good team. Now the majofo guy.....that guy offers nothing constructive, but he is a good cheerleader for you.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:34 PM
J-series addict

I'm glad you guys brought this thread back up to talk shit about talking shit. Watch the personal comments. I didn't shit on anything. The car has turbo lag up the ass and I asked why he chose what he chose. He came back with a bunch of nonsense and assumptions about me so I defended it.

How about waiting until your reading and comprehension skills pass the 3rd grade level before commenting on something that's way over your heads.

Me and Tony "chilled" 20 days ago, I'm not sure why three of you decided to get on your soap box at this point in time to talk shit about something that was dead already. If anyone needs to "chill" it's the last 3 posters. This is why I don't hang around here much anymore, the collective IQ is at an all time low.

Yungone, you guys may have this crazy idea of what I'm about but I've purposely ignored you in other threads because you were very wrong about the long stroke/short stroke stuff and I just don't feel like correcting people and the potential confrontations anymore plus I didn't want to piss you off but this is 3 times you've talked shit to me when it had nothing to do with you, it won't be ignored any longer. I could have reported the unprovoked name calling in the other thread at any time but I didn't.
Lol, umm....whatever.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by flexer
IHC, I would love to hear what you have to say about the long stroke, short stroke thing. I feel you balance myself well. I offer lab tested results, you offer real world opinions. If you didn't get so butt hurt all the time from me correcting you I think we would be a good team. Now the majofo guy.....that guy offers nothing constructive, but he is a good cheerleader for you.
Majofo is a smart guy, you don't do what he does for a living by being a dummy. He learned long ago what I should have learned. There are people that come here for the drama and there are people who are not capable of understanding basic reason so there's no point in trying to argue with them. I'm pretty much there myself.

You have my word that I would never get butthurt if I'm proven wrong. I enjoy technical discussions probably more than anyone else. My problem comes from the google references. Just because something is printed on a pretty website doesn't make it fact. If we can get beyond that, we can have some good discussions and get somewhere. Much of what I have to say I'm sure can be proved somewhere on the internet but you pretty much have to take me at my word. it either comes from first hand experience or it comes first hand from people who have done the research.

Where me and Tony went wrong was when he made assumtions about me. Otherwise he built an awesome car that makes more power than mine. I couldn't just let him blow me off as a "drag racer" with no knowledge of anything else. If you think about it, that's pretty screwed up especially when I've worked with road race teams and one carbureted 347 Ford with the turbo in the rear seat and intercooler where the rear licence plate would go that makes near 1,000hp and spools extremely quickly. Getting power out of a turbo car is beyond easy, almost anyone can make a peaky huge power setup. What I pride myself on is an extremely docile and drivable setup that will have power from the moment you hit the throttle at any rpm. That's why I went from a 3.8L to a 4.2L. I could make all the power I wanted with the 3.8L but the 4.2L spools the turbo quicker (dynamic) and at a lower rpm, giving the car better street manners. A lot of this was to piss off the V8 crowd even more. Again, maybe you can understand why Tony rubbed me the wrong way in his assumptions about me.

I actually have to work today but I'll be back later today or tomorrow. My opinion on the long vs short stroke debate is it really doesn't matter much, what's bolted up top (the heads, cams, and intake tract) matters much more in determining the power band. Add a turbo to the mix and the lower portion of the powerband is almost entirely dictated by the rpm the turbo spools at.

For a street car much of it is personal preference. My preference is short(ish) stroke, long rod, big bore. "Big" is relative, lets call it oversquare. Right now I'm running a 3.4" stroke, 4" bore, and a 6" rod. Redline is only 6,000rpm, peak torque (620lbs) is at 2,800rpm, and peak power is at only 5,500rpm. It goes against what most people think of a short stroke big bore engine because it doesn't wind very high and torque is full in at a relatively low rpm. The reason behind this is heads that don't flow very well, a near stock cam, and a turbo that spools early. There are plenty of reasons for why I prefer the bigger bore way of getting displacement but that would take an hour to explain. Maybe later today.

I feel that having a flatter powerband is more forgiving on the street and usually more consistent. For a track only car I would have a different opinion.

I'm interested in your opinion on the subject or maybe we can start a thread dedicated for just this subject so all of the other nonsense above is left out. If you prove me wrong it means I learned something new and trust me, I get proved wrong every day with the people I'm lucky enough to work around so it's no big deal.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Lol, umm....whatever.
Cool. If that's the way it has to be, so be it.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Biggest problem is I can't link you the articles IHC. I read SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) papers. You have to have an account to log in and view them. If I link them they will ask for a user name and password. I only have access because my company pays the $20,000 dollars or whatever for a yearly license for the entire company. But I am very clear on my responses on which is MY OPINION and which is DATA RESULTS TESTED.

I agree. Lets start another thread and we can talk about all this.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Lets keep this topic J-series. As much as there's a misunderstanding, Tony has built a great setup for this customer. We, as a community want more products out and I wish Tony will offer us an affordable set up. As much as there's no MOD's here to close the thread, lets work as a team to gather such informations and have a clean thread. I think this one is long expires. Lets move on.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:19 PM
J-series addict

I'd be interested in hearing more about Tonys unique method in tuning. Specifically in regards to any notable differences (wether good or bad) between the j-series and any other engine. Seems like in my tuning experience the j-series is very prone to detonation especially at higher CR's.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Team Owner

The J series is actually remarkably good at suppressing detonation. It's the high CR when stock with port fuel injection and fairly aggressive ignition timing combined with crappy gas that gives it the reputation it has for detonation. It's not the longblock or any of the mechanicals or the engine family, it's just the tune and external factors. 11:1 for a long time was 100 octane territory for older engines. The only thing I would change is quench area for turbo use and some of that can be done with the piston design when going aftermarket.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 PM

Anyone that talks shit about I hate cars or Majofo doesn't know what they are talking about or has very thin skin. There are very few people on this forum that I hold in such high regard and I have my reasoning. I'm nobody's cheerleader either, just tired of seeing people ganging up for the drama.

J.

Last edited by rockstar143; 04-28-2014 at 04:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
D's Up (04-29-2014), Undying Dreams (04-30-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 PM

I am here for the gang bang(s)
Old 04-28-2014, 05:32 PM

I have a feeling they're coming
Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 PM
J-series addict

The J series is actually remarkably good at suppressing detonation.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Heard somebody had me in their mouth. You want my long stroke or my short stroke sweetheart?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 PM

Don't worry.. I'll use DINO to break you in.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:41 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Damn haven't been active in 3G and didn't notice we had such a high HP TL.

Love the setup.

Majofo I'll take that offer anytime
rockstar143 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:46 AM

:gheylaugh:
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM

The Champ...always classy! hahahahaa
Old 04-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Great car tony. Nice to see you on another message board.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Team Owner

You guys are awesome lol.

Hey Rockstar, I have a present for you if you're interested in trying an IB sub setup...
Old 04-29-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^ I wouldnt mind an MDF board with an IB sub cutout.
or
anything else.
that.
you're.
giving away

Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM

We want to see J shock himself and fuxor something up installing it.. plus your ride stay in da shop brah!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM

I have a used flesh light that might interest you.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:32 AM

Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
^ I wouldnt mind an MDF board with an IB sub cutout.
or
anything else.
that.
you're.
giving away

I don't know if an MDF board will hold up to a tree impact.

I figured I would give the IB15s to someone looking to start an IB project. I thought I remembered Rockstar wanting to try IB. I'll let you guys fight for them lol. Just cover shipping and you can have them. I have to buy my 13W7s first of course.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM

Or curb impact..
Old 04-30-2014, 11:14 AM

Matt, PM me when you get ready to install the Dub7's.
Rockstar texted me saying that its all mine.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 AM

Did you send J a picture of your new pleated pants?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:41 AM

Actually, what I said was I was "inclined" to let Matt's kindness go your way this time but I wanted to read what he'd wrote first. You also kind of implied that he'd made the offer to us both, when in reality, he offered to me and then you asked for it. Hmmm...

Oh Justin...
justnspace (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Actually, what I said was I was "inclined" to let Matt's kindness go your way this time but I wanted to read what he'd wrote first. You also kind of implied that he'd made the offer to us both, when in reality, he offered to me and then you asked for it. Hmmm...

Oh Justin...
lol shuddup.
I have proof in text that you said "thanks for being considerate!"

Quick Reply: Turbo 3.5L J-series V6 High CR Build (700+ WHP)