tl-s forced induction options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face tl-s forced induction options?

i read the faq's and did a quick search and seem to have come up with the answer that there really isnt a bolt on f/i kit for the type-s's? please tell me this isnt true. im really thinking about trading in my g8 for the tl-s but power is a concern.

thanks for your help. we just traded in our 02 tl-s for an 05 TL, love it so far!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 697 Posts
If you're after power, that G8 is going to be far more powerful than the TL will ever be. The TL just now got a turbo kit.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

so the comptech SC does not work with the type-s?

keep in mind i know im going to be giving up power if i make the swap. just curious what my options are.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:09 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blu by u
so the comptech SC does not work with the type-s?

keep in mind i know im going to be giving up power if i make the swap. just curious what my options are.
it does work but the hp to $ ratio is not that great. The turbo will be the best bet for power if you can afford about 8k in parts which include the turbo kit plus supporting mods.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks for the heads up
Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
it does work but the hp to $ ratio is not that great. The turbo will be the best bet for power if you can afford about 8k in parts which include the turbo kit plus supporting mods.
I know they showed that the turbo will work on the type-s, but has anyone other than the test car actually bought it?

I know a lot of us 5AT guys are waiting to see if 6MT folks have any issues before jumping in.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
There's a couple of giant turbo threads, do a search.

Turbo not only will bring it to the 400whp level, but where it really separates itself from the supercharger and NA mods is the 400lbs of torque and tons more power everywhere on the tach, not just at high rpms. Price is not 8K, more like 6K and change. The PTE GT series turbo, the Tial wastegate, the HKS SS BOV, the PTE bar and plate intercooler are like the who's who of turbo parts. You can't get better quality stuff.

When you factor in reliability and drivability, nothing can touch the turbo. Many people have 3K in bolt-ons for a 30hp gain. The turbo just makes more sense.

If you're worried about the 5at taking the power, a few of us have done research on fixes.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I hate cars
If you're worried about the 5at taking the power, a few of us have done research on fixes.
Even though I've read that the RL-sourced tranny is pretty strong, it still would have some trouble holding 400Whp, so it's nice that people are already working on solutions.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Even though I've read that the RL-sourced tranny is pretty strong, it still would have some trouble holding 400Whp, so it's nice that people are already working on solutions.
So far we're working on getting additional holding power from the clutches without opening up the trans. Failures to this point have been limited to burning up clutch packs from slipping, but not breakage. Once we get the clutches to hold which I think we will, we'll see if anything breaks.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Suzuka Master

So far we're working on getting additional holding power from the clutches without opening up the trans. Failures to this point have been limited to burning up clutch packs from slipping, but not breakage. Once we get the clutches to hold which I think we will, we'll see if anything breaks.
Sounds good.

I know you've kept it up with it more than I have, but how many AT guys jumped on the first batch of turbos? Are they the ones testing the 5AT tranny w/ the turbo?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

Sounds good.

I know you've kept it up with it more than I have, but how many AT guys jumped on the first batch of turbos? Are they the ones testing the 5AT tranny w/ the turbo?
None that I know of other than the first failure. We've brought holding power up by close to 100% and now that I have a new daily driver I'm probably going with the turbo to test out the trans. I have faith in in the holding power, at least on street tire but we'll see what happens. It's very important to get this thing up and going because I believe the 5at is the key to the first 11 second turbo TL pass.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:30 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Sounds good.

Libert69 is the only member with an auto who bought the kit so far. I don't hink he is installed yet but we will see how he holds up.

I can tell you the turbo is alot of fun in the 6 speed. The ability to hit the fuel cut out at 7200 without knowing because the power is so smooth and the engine so quiet. With the supercharger you knew you were running the car hard by the whine and sound from the exhaust, not so with the turbo.

Last edited by Hi speed; 06-13-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

ill do a search on the turbo kits but $6k is alot of dough and im wondering if i could get by on bolt ons. auto isnt a concern as i will be looking for a manual. im close to pulling the trigger, i love my G8 , i really do, but i love the type-s as well.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blu by u
ill do a search on the turbo kits but $6k is alot of dough and im wondering if i could get by on bolt ons. auto isnt a concern as i will be looking for a manual. im close to pulling the trigger, i love my G8 , i really do, but i love the type-s as well.
It's a heck of a lot of money to spend on a mod...

But people blow money on bolt-ons for very, very small gains and before you know it you've dumped $3,000+ over time for a marginally quicker car. The turbo kit is the only mod that will put the TL on the map against a real performance car and have no drivability penalties.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks for the heads up folks, ill read up a bit more.

love your GN by the way.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

could someone elaborate on what modification needs to be made for the comptech supercharger to work on the type-s? tried searching with no luck.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Basicly you have to widen the pulsewith of the fuel injectors. I think the Aem Fic would be able to do this. The extra displacement will eat some of the boost but you can get a custom pulley to bring it back to the right level.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please dont get me wrong, turbo parts are expensive. On TL, you dont have to make any manifolds like other engines. It seems very simple by looking at the kit, obviously I never seen it in person. I come from a lot turbo cars up to almost 800WHP civic. I think kit can be little cheaper since there is much time spent on making tubular manifolds.

I think the kit is expensive cause they probably spent a lot of time doing R&D. Materials used in the kit are not the expensive part.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by turbocivic94
Please dont get me wrong, turbo parts are expensive. On TL, you dont have to make any manifolds like other engines. It seems very simple by looking at the kit, obviously I never seen it in person. I come from a lot turbo cars up to almost 800WHP civic. I think kit can be little cheaper since there is much time spent on making tubular manifolds.

I think the kit is expensive cause they probably spent a lot of time doing R&D. Materials used in the kit are not the expensive part.
The kit uses the best of the best parts.

While there are no exhaust manifolds to build, you do have to fabricate the exhaust to feed the turbo and the DP. Keep in mind it has a lot of extra plumbing that a 4 cylinder does not have.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by turbocivic94

All the parts selected are known quality parts and yes unlike a lot of kit a lot of r& d was put into the kit not solely to produce power but drivability and reliabilty which is most important ,the price of the kit is priced fairly and below market value comparing to kits tht are out there that cost as much with been complete ...building an 800 hp civic isn't much of a task judging parts that are available in abundance but building it to last requires more that what our kit cost @ 5799.. Judging it's a complete diy kit turn key kit...

Last edited by pass427; 06-15-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
Libert69 is the only member with an auto who bought the kit so far. I don't hink he is installed yet but we will see how he holds up.

I can tell you the turbo is alot of fun in the 6 speed. The ability to hit the fuel cut out at 7200 without knowing because the power is so smooth and the engine so quiet. With the supercharger you knew you were running the car hard by the whine and sound from the exhaust, not so with the turbo.

so the turbo setup is quieter than your s/c setup? i thought this would be the opposite
Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by djbonsu
so the turbo setup is quieter than your s/c setup? i thought this would be the opposite
The turbo setup is really quiet. Just some shwooshing sounds.

All of the SC's I have heard whine to some degree all of the time getting louder as you go up in rpm.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:28 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^i guess i was thinking the exhaust would be alot louder on the turbo than the s/c app....thanks for the info
Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by djbonsu
^^^i guess i was thinking the exhaust would be alot louder on the turbo than the s/c app....thanks for the info
The turbo acts like a muffler to a degree. I'm runing dual 2.5" exhaust with straight through mufflers and mine is not loud at all. Take the turbo away and it would be unbearable. The turbo raises back pressure and increases velocity, both of which quiet the exhaust. I've gotten to where I can guess very close what size turbo a GN has by the sound of the exhaust. Bigger turbos are louder and smaller are quieter.

If you want something that sounds really good, if you can do a single 3" or dual 2.5" stainless exhaust with one or two straight through mufflers you will get the turbo whistle through the exhaust while driving normally. You'll be able to hear it long before you get into boost and once you do get into the throttle hard the intake whistle will take over.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The kit uses the best of the best parts.

While there are no exhaust manifolds to build, you do have to fabricate the exhaust to feed the turbo and the DP. Keep in mind it has a lot of extra plumbing that a 4 cylinder does not have.
Dont get me wrong, I know they probably spent good amount of time making a proper kit. Its just trial and error. I dont know what size are the pipes for the manifold but only time it start to get expensive with stainless steel is when you start getting in 4 inch.

If I didnt buy a TL-S, I would have tried to fabricate a kit and have friend weld it for me. Maybe one day I'l try to turbocharge the TL-S after I see some success with 5AT from other members.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:41 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Basically, as of right now, the answer to the OP's question is: .