Thinking of buying an exhaust. Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by powerflow
ATLP dual exhaust is no longer in production, not available anymore. It was marketed as a limited production exhaust.
Oh damn.. lol than everyone should have not told me to get ATLP! I mean they dont even make them anymore...

Well than give me links to all other good exhausts with equal power increase. If you all can! Thanks!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
The CT exhaust has 2" axlebacks.
Thanks Josh for the quick reply.

Originally Posted by RJNN TL
Oh damn.. lol than everyone should have not told me to get ATLP! I mean they dont even make them anymore...

Well than give me links to all other good exhausts with equal power increase. If you all can! Thanks!
You may want to talk to Josh @ Excelerate. I think he will take care of you so you don't get the run around. Besides he has been a vendor for a long time.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm sorry I thought you were talking about the quad tip ATLP, which is not available. The ATLP Base with dual mufflers can be bought through HeelToe. As a customer/user, I highly recommend both ATLP and Heeltoe.

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/atlp-hta-ftmfw-exclusive-distributorship-atlp-exhaust-more-726701/
Old 05-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Drifting

go to the meet at heckscher park on sunday the 7th. ull see and hear all the exhausts
Old 05-31-2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by powerflow
I'm sorry I thought you were talking about the quad tip ATLP, which is not available. The ATLP Base with dual mufflers can be bought through HeelToe. As a customer/user, I highly recommend both ATLP and Heeltoe.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726701
See now I want the exact exhaust thats in the video with the black TL.

I love that look

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/ATLP-Cat-...-pr-63696.html PRETTY sure this is it. But I am unsure when they would ship. And IDK if Josh sells this exact exhaust. Thats all I'm stuck on currently.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 PM
2008 NBP

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura Jeff
I think you are on to proving something here.

2.5" branching into two 2" pipes does not restrict the flow, mathematically speaking. Therefore, 2.5" pipe into two 2.25" pipe or even bigger pipe may not make any difference? Think about it.

Area = 3.14 * Diameter
Close but no cigar
area is pi*r squared or in diameter sense, pi*d/4 but bigger pipes arent always better
Old 05-31-2009, 08:21 PM
I caught the mod flu

Originally Posted by xrvman
Close but no cigar
area is pi*r squared or in diameter sense, pi*d/4 but bigger pipes arent always better
Correct, some back pressure is needed.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 PM

Now when I get this Base ATLP Cat Back Exhaust will it fit with an A-Spec kit? Becuase a little later on down the road I plan to instal the A-Spec kit, so will the tips fit?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd prefer a deep throaty sound. But sound I am not looking for as much. It's performance increase, thats all I really want.

If I was to have a sound i'd want it to be like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1k-v...e=channel_page
Be careful what you wish for. I was thinking the same thing and got the Greddy. Way too loud for me. I ended up cutting the stock resonator and added it to the Greddy. Drone is still a little too much for me at times. Can you tell this is my first aftermarket exhaust?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

there are so many to choose from, just do your homework or it will cost you 3 diff exhausts like it did to me.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

Now when I get this Base ATLP Cat Back Exhaust will it fit with an A-Spec kit? Becuase a little later on down the road I plan to instal the A-Spec kit, so will the tips fit?
it will fit 100% JNC is running it.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:36 AM

I am unsure HOW adding a newer exhaust can increase power. Someone explain. Does it give it power power low end or top end or is it all around?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:07 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
More efficient scavenging of exhaust gases. Like, when you see a top fuel car blowing fire right behind the front wheels. Factory is worried about emissions and sound db's. Motorcycles are also a good benchmark - any race pipe is hollow, louder than snot and is usually good for about 10% increase on a dyno.

You lose back pressure, so the low end suffers. I have the Base. The VTEC range is nuts now but the low end suffered.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by xrvman
Close but no cigar
Area = Pi * r^2 or Pi * d^2 /4. I think you may have missed squaring the diameter in your equation. Just plug in an arbitrary number like 9 for the radius and you will see both equations hold.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:59 AM
2008 NBP

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OOPSS Thanks knew I was missing something lol
Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Excelerate
The exhaust gains will be similar. Our piping is 2.5" in the mid pipe and 2.25" on the axlebacks. I believe ATLP is the same.
How do you get rid of the drone? Is it due to having a Non-resonated exhaust or does that even matter? I think I'm gonna go with the XLR8 brand for Jpipe etc. so Josh congratulations on being my new best friend.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:58 AM
SSgt. Hood

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya but which one makes more power?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to subscribe to this thread as well.

Did I miss something? What exhaust did it come down to for best performance and deep sound - no drone like those big fart cans that the civics have.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
honestly...this thread has gotten off topic but i would say as far as drone goes, not that i am biased, but CT exhaust has the LEASt amount of drone and still gives good performance. I would also say the Tanabe Exhaust does the same but i have not heard much about the possible drone that may or may not exist. my understanding is that YES, there are better exhaust performers out there (ATLP, Greddy, XLR8 to name a few) but you will either loose low end torque or gain some unwanted DRONE somewhere in the powerband. it all boils down to what your exhaust goals are. Personally, I am NOT a fan of noise but i do want performance gains. i am willing to sacrifice a few ponies for a "stock-like" exhaust that will not drive me crazy as my car is my daily driver. Noise vs Performance....you be the judge...my $.02
Old 06-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Very well said. My car is daily driven as well and right now I have stock stage 1 exhaust system. I little more noise I will be Ok. But performance is my criteria as well as deep nice sound.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 PM
BlkStlth

Not to burst your bubble but there is almost no performance increase until you change the whole exhaust. And even then its not even that much.

People like to make themselves feel like they are going faster because it's louder.

I have a custom magnaflow setup from front to back. Sounds deep, but less than 5hp increase. Now that CAI will def give you a boost. Basically what I am saying is just get the exhaust that you like the sound of rather than performance hopes.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Originally Posted by djbonsu
honestly...this thread has gotten off topic but i would say as far as drone goes, not that i am biased, but CT exhaust has the LEASt amount of drone and still gives good performance. I would also say the Tanabe Exhaust does the same but i have not heard much about the possible drone that may or may not exist. my understanding is that YES, there are better exhaust performers out there (ATLP, Greddy, XLR8 to name a few) but you will either loose low end torque or gain some unwanted DRONE somewhere in the powerband. it all boils down to what your exhaust goals are. Personally, I am NOT a fan of noise but i do want performance gains. i am willing to sacrifice a few ponies for a "stock-like" exhaust that will not drive me crazy as my car is my daily driver. Noise vs Performance....you be the judge...my $.02
comptech cb ftmfw, basically.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Originally Posted by tihomirbg
Very well said. My car is daily driven as well and right now I have stock stage 1 exhaust system. I little more noise I will be Ok. But performance is my criteria as well as deep nice sound.
Comptech cb should set you off
Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by kingjagg5
Not to burst your bubble but there is almost no performance increase until you change the whole exhaust. And even then its not even that much.

People like to make themselves feel like they are going faster because it's louder.

I have a custom magnaflow setup from front to back. Sounds deep, but less than 5hp increase. Now that CAI will def give you a boost. Basically what I am saying is just get the exhaust that you like the sound of rather than performance hopes.
You're right about an exhaust only being as good as the most efficient section, about 2.5" for a opened up J series 3.2L

But, there's no way in hell a CAI makes more power than a full aftermarket exhaust setup. CAI's are just noise makers. You lose a lot of weight taking out the stock airbox, it sounds pretty tuff and makes for an efficient air passage but...it certainly doesn't make your car faster.

My new ATLP Base bummed me out the first time I mashed the pedal from a stop - low end wasn't kicking as hard when I had just pre-cats/j-pipe/test pipe. Reset the ECU, got peppier down low (still not like before) but the VTEC range runs through the RPMs so fast that the computer struggles to make the 1st --> 2nd shift when I floor it. I also must shift earlier from 2nd --> 3rd so I don't hit the limiter. *Hit the limiter twice the first day after installing new exhaust - before that, Hit it maybe twice in 3 years.

These engines are top end bias. Searching for more low end as you mod a TL is about as productive as the search for the Loch Ness monster...doesn't exist.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:58 PM
"Like None Other"

^^^haha....i wante to do the pre-cat but 2 things stopped me. the significant increase in exhaust tone and the low-end torque loss
Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Greddys are just too loud. Comptechs are the BEST! lol
Old 06-02-2009, 04:27 PM
practicing nihilist

^^^haha....i wante to do the pre-cat but 2 things stopped me. the significant increase in exhaust tone and the low-end torque loss
pre-cats/j-pipe/race or test pipe was the most significant performance mod for my TL. Made it throatier under WOT - that "g 35" sound many people are looking for - and there was nothing but gains in hp/tq through the entire band. The mid-high range gained the most, but there certainly wasn't any loss.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 PM
"Like None Other"

^^^Im sure u gained massive amounts of power in the upper part of the powerband BUT put ur OEM pre-cats back in and then let me know how much low-end torque you got back
Old 06-02-2009, 07:16 PM
practicing nihilist

don't get me wrong, I loooove torque but, it's easy to see that the engine is running most efficiently.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Racer

Is the Comptech catback exhaust driving anyone crazy? Just curious. I got the impression the Comptech exhaust was very similar to the stock exhaust in terms of loudness?

Originally Posted by kingjagg5

I think Comptech claims a 7-8 HP increase with their catback. Are you running a stock cat and J-Pipe?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssmtl2nv
Comptech cb should set you off
I was going to ask you what you think. Have you had the ATLP before? How is it compared to Comptech?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

On the other hand, I think we don't want an aftermarket exhaust that is almost the same as stock in terms of sound.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 AM

Well I bought the ATLP Basic Exhaust! Ships end of June! Can't wait.

Are these things easy to instal like DIY, come with directions? Or is it pretty self explanatory? Recommend getting it put on at a shop?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM
practicing nihilist

Very DIY. Takes 45 minutes max on a lift with one person, maybe an hour (?) in the driveway on jack stands and probably want a second set of hands.

Get's some parts breaker (PB is my fav) and soak the bolts. Let them sit for as long as you can, at least 30 minutes if you're cars got some miles and you see rust down there.

I assembled the long straight pipe and y-pipe (don't forget new gasket) on the deck first, keeping the bolts loose - leave some play in all the bolts until the entire system is mounted. Remove stock exhaust and give the rear heat shield bolts a check or remove it; I think mine's rattling and I should have taken it off. Hang assembled y-pipe on rubber mount then connect to 3rd cat or race/test pipe, again, loosely. Hang new cans. Note: good idea to leave foam pads around tips until you've got them mounted so they don't get scratched. Don't forget gasket between y-pipe and muffler packs. Hand tighten bolts. Now you can tighten down all the bolts little by little, in a circular pattern. Stop frequently to keep flanges and gasket aligned as best you can.

Reset ECU.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

I was going to ask you what you think. Have you had the ATLP before? How is it compared to Comptech?
many local members have it and it is very loud compared to ct, almost similar to greddy but looks and sounds much better. It does drone, blackurany can vouch for this
Old 06-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

many local members have it and it is very loud compared to ct, almost similar to greddy but looks and sounds much better. It does drone, blackurany can vouch for this
The drone is my main concern. On the other hand, how is the base XLR8 non res?

Last edited by tihomirbg; 06-03-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

The drone is my main concern. On the other hand, how is the base XLR8 non res?
on comptech barely audible, sounds similar to a g35 except more aggressive in a sleek tune. Based on my experience with thewanderer316's wdp type s xlr8 non res fully catless it was extremely raspy until he added on a resonator and resonated 3rd cat. It sounded sick, but not 4 everyday driving, the reason why I switched out from potato canon greddy to compsex.....
Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

On the other hand, I think we don't want an aftermarket exhaust that is almost the same as stock in terms of sound.
once again comptech is the way to go... I was the idiot who learned the hardway until I bough comptech and very much appreciate it now.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:09 AM
I caught the mod flu

If you want to go with XLR8, go with the resonated version. I changed my mind on the CT due to it having the single tips. I wanted to stay stock looking without adding a lot of sound.

I've never heard the XLR8 non-res before, but heard it's very lound. How is it compared to the res version?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

once again comptech is the way to go... I was the idiot who learned the hardway until I bough comptech and very much appreciate it now.
Is Comptech resonated or was it just mid muffler.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an exhaust. Which is best?