swaping out the cat for a straight pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Q: How does removing the 3rd cat make you fail inspection? It will cause you to not be ULEV, but if you are still within your states emissions standards, you will pass. They do not look at if you are supposed to be ULEV and whether you are or not. Does anyone have documentation as to how much the 3rd cat cleans the exhaust, therefore proving PPM will increase to a failing level?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:04 PM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^yeah but in some states they actually inspect the presence of all the cats on the car and they gotta be OEM originals!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not sure tho if i really want to do this mod..seems lik a headache if i cant pass inspection and the car is my daily driver..what about the pro-cats? anyone know who much they run and where i can find them?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not bad at all.. it only takes 15-30min to swap the stock cat for the test pipe... and in reality you would only need to do this once every other year for inspection. The pro-cats are the best option... but those are more than 10x the price and take anywhere from 4-5 hours to install.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:48 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

whats a test pipe? just regular scrap pipe exhaust shops use? would this need to be welded on? or just bolts on and off?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Cruisin'

I use the term "test pipe" loosely. Otherwise meaning just a straight through peice of piping with no catalyst material. It may be welded on or bought as a bolt-on pipe for an Accord V6... I am referring mostly to the Megan Racing "resonator".
Old 05-15-2007, 06:07 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

oo ok thanks for the info, where can i get the megan racing res?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
G35Killerrr

I removed my 3rd cat and replaced to a stright pipe while back ago check engine light didnt turn on cause there no o2 sensor,sound is the same and the performance ....I feel the car have more flow going out, you can feel there power insert but im not sure how much but you could feel it I think is good mod for people with stock exhaust systems since the stock muffler give you alot restriction already.

Hope you guy understand my poor english
Old 05-15-2007, 09:37 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

so basically they just cut off the cat and weld on a straight pipe? im still not understanding the whole bolt on thing..where does it bolt on?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Cruisin'

The factory cat it bolted on to the exhaust piping using two 3 bolt flanges. The Megan Racing pipe is constructed with the same two 3 bolt flanges at the ends, so the only thing you need to do is bolt it on. The other option is to weld a test pipe straight on the piping and cutting off the factory 3 bolt flange.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
What is the Megan PN# ?

This one that was linked earlier in this thread says it is for a 4 cylinder.

Honda Accord 98-02 4cyl
Model Number : CC-HA98

Is this the PN# that we should order ?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Cruisin'

EBAY link... There are many other types on EBAY for the 03-05 Accord V6... which are also cheaper as well. The only I would question is the quality. I paid less than that price when i bought mine.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:10 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

ooo ok i got it..looks pretty simple to install, would and exhaust shop put it on since i need a lift to get underneath the car?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

I live in Florida, so there is no emission test, so, if I were replace the resonator and 3rd cat with SS pipes, would there be any gain, or loss in hp? See pic

BTW, I think it was originally AZNBOI's pic.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Cruisin'

pump
Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
The third resonator is the furthest "canister" looking thing away from this pic. Also, when you take out both resonators, make sure you replace it with a magnaflow, or dynomax resonator or else you will have a rasp.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
i went with the ebay test pipe...no problems yet...sounds better...less rasper in the lower rpms....and i dont know about emissions for any other state...but i know in CT, and in IL, for obdII, 96-present, all they do is scan the computer, make sure your emissions control are ready in your ecu, make sure you didn't take out your CEL bulb...and send you on your way....the only time you have to worry about inspections...is when registering a car i believe is older than 7 years?? not sure...but deleting the 3rd cat in CT/IL will not affect emissions...THEY DONT USE EXHAUST GAS ANALYZERS ANY MORE!!! they make straight pipes for the 2 primary cats on ebay...OBX makes them...380 for the whole setup w/ test pipe...im down to get it...its listed for the 03-07 accord v6...it will fit though...and as for the tree hugger....me taking out my 3rd cat isn't as bad as Nascar running 3 or more races a week at 250+ laps, times that by 42 cars per race....What about movie films that have those big explosions, proven to deterioate the ozone, that asshole who's piston rings blew out...but he still drives it......that 1968 mustang running a demon 650 carb with straight pipes? When Nascar runs cats on their cars....ill follow in their footsteps....
Old 05-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
I read and listened to the stages on removing the mid muffler and replacing the resonator with the Dynomax WLK 24215 resonator. Will I notice a pretty good diff. I ordered the Dynomax today and found a quality place to do it all for $100-$125.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
i went with the ebay test pipe...no problems yet...sounds better...less rasper in the lower rpms....and i dont know about emissions for any other state...but i know in CT, and in IL, for obdII, 96-present, all they do is scan the computer, make sure your emissions control are ready in your ecu, make sure you didn't take out your CEL bulb...and send you on your way....the only time you have to worry about inspections...is when registering a car i believe is older than 7 years?? not sure...but deleting the 3rd cat in CT/IL will not affect emissions...THEY DONT USE EXHAUST GAS ANALYZERS ANY MORE!!! they make straight pipes for the 2 primary cats on ebay...OBX makes them...380 for the whole setup w/ test pipe...im down to get it...its listed for the 03-07 accord v6...it will fit though...and as for the tree hugger....me taking out my 3rd cat isn't as bad as Nascar running 3 or more races a week at 250+ laps, times that by 42 cars per race....What about movie films that have those big explosions, proven to deterioate the ozone, that asshole who's piston rings blew out...but he still drives it......that 1968 mustang running a demon 650 carb with straight pipes? When Nascar runs cats on their cars....ill follow in their footsteps....
Good analogy.

I've done some research on OBX headers for the accord, and there was only one person with the accord that tried them on that I know of. He has a little bit of fitment issue and had to do some extra welding...so this is probably not a DIY at home project. I've been trying to load the OBX homepage so I can find a way to contact them, but it doesnt seem to work...plus OBX isn't exactly up to my standard..
Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
That last part of your long ass paragraph is absolutely retarded.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
me taking out my 3rd cat isn't as bad as Nascar running 3 or more races a week at 250+ laps, times that by 42 cars per race....What about movie films that have those big explosions, proven to deterioate the ozone, that asshole who's piston rings blew out...but he still drives it......that 1968 mustang running a demon 650 carb with straight pipes? When Nascar runs cats on their cars....ill follow in their footsteps....
Agreed with subinf... That's by far the dumbest thing i've read in a long time.

Just because there are other polluters in the world means you should run out and mod your car to help them out...

Jesus guys, what the hell is wrong with you?. You get absolutley NO PROVEN GAINS from this mod, yet you bolt it on anyway at the KNOWN expense of the environment. Go ahead and throw your trash out the window, dump your oil down the drain, and burn your tires on the front lawn. That's the American way!

Irresponsible...
Old 05-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Agreed with subinf... That's by far the dumbest thing i've read in a long time.

Just because there are other polluters in the world means you should run out and mod your car to help them out...

Jesus guys, what the hell is wrong with you?. You get absolutley NO PROVEN GAINS from this mod, yet you bolt it on anyway at the KNOWN expense of the environment. Go ahead and throw your trash out the window, dump your oil down the drain, and burn your tires on the front lawn. That's the American way!

Irresponsible...
I agree as well.

To blatantly alter the environmental devices of a vehicle that is driven every day is plain irresponsible. Especially like Kennedy said, when the impact is a known issue.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:15 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

im not exactly sure if i will be doing this mod, if i do anything with the cats id prob buy into the pro-cats first..i just dont want to have to deal with NY inspection problems later on for minimal gains, besides im not looking to track race the car..i mean afterall it is a "luxury car" but i do want to personalize it and have something a little different then what the typical TL has..also if i did do this mod..i would need to bring it to a shop to have it lifted to swap in the oem cat for the inspection and then remove it again..(PITA for me) especially NY inspections are once a year and they charge $50 to throw it on the lift around me..with those 50 bux i cud b spending it on other mods..just my thoughts
Old 05-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Pro

My thought on it...if your so worried about the enviorment....go get a hybrid...car pool...use public transportation....i bet 80% of people on this forum has the option to carpool, or use public transportation....and dont....i carpool....,big deal, i took out 1 cat and used a test pipe, and using "high flow" cats are better? your still altering the emissions on your vehicle....CAI...altering your emissions....no matter what way you look at it....your doing something to alter it...peopel are gonna do as they please...call it w/e you want...its not going to stop them from doing what they want to do....
Old 05-18-2007, 08:46 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
My thought on it...if your so worried about the enviorment....go get a hybrid...car pool...use public transportation....i bet 80% of people on this forum has the option to carpool, or use public transportation....and dont....i carpool....,big deal, i took out 1 cat and used a test pipe, and using "high flow" cats are better? your still altering the emissions on your vehicle....CAI...altering your emissions....no matter what way you look at it....your doing something to alter it...peopel are gonna do as they please...call it w/e you want...its not going to stop them from doing what they want to do....

I was just saying your rationale was awful. And now you are drawing another extreme. Most "high flow" cats don't significantly alter the emissions testing, and in come cases prove to be better than the OEM cats. So long as you don't purposely alter your car's emissions numbers to lower than the OEM amount, I have no problem with aftermarket exploration.

I know it's not going to stop people from doing what they do, but I can call them fucking idiots and know I'm not throwing around baseless put-downs.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Pro

thats cool...im down with open minds, and freedom of speech...its what makes this country diffrent from others....and maybe in few cases high flow cats prove to be better than oem....but i can tell you one thing...for honda's...no after market cat is going to be compete with honda's oem/oem replacement cats....but moving on....if your gonna do your test pipe...know there are consequences for everything you do, some people say you dont gain ANY power....some people say you do....its your car...your opinion....so do what you feel like doing....
Old 05-19-2007, 08:10 PM
trees grow in

thread hijack?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Safety Car

I received my Megan racing “test pipe” today to replace the 3rd cat. Only took an hour to get installed. Fit was perfect. Quality was outstanding. Even came with fastners and exhaust gaskets. It came with everything that I needed for the install. Very easy and painless installation.

I have not driven the car yet. My car is clean and the roads are wet from rain. I did start the engine to listen to it at idle. No large difference in sound that I noticed. It did seem tiny bit louder, but I need to drive it some before I can say for sure.

I ordered it from TuningPros on Ebay. Later, I learned that they are starting their own site at www.TuningPros.com. TuningPros offers two version. I emailed them asking what the difference was:

Originally Posted by Inaccurate’s email to TuningPros

What are the differences between these similiar items ? Thanks for your help !!!

Stainless Steel Made Resonator / Test Pipe / CAT for Honda Accord 03 04
CATHA0304V6_R
$76.90

Megan Test Pipe Off Road CAT Honda Accord 03 04 05 V6
MRCATHA0304V6_S
$91.90
Originally Posted by TuningPros Reply via email

hi,

the cheaper one is no brand product without warranty. the Megan one has one year manufacturer warranty.

thanks
www.tuningpros.com
I had odered the more expensive one before I seen that they offer the cheaper (no warranty) version. I purchased the MRCATHA0304V6_S for $91.90. I elected the 2nd delivery and my total was $111.90.

One interesting observation. People say that the Megan piece has a resonator interior. Even Megan calls it as a resonator. However, there is NO SOUND-DAMPING MATERIAL in the core. Zip, just air. In the pics, you see the interior wall with the small holes (like a real resonator). But, there is nothing between the interior wall and the exterior case. Just all metal. However, I like it this way. Just wanted to point out this observation.

For the folks that read my "TL Diet" thread, this has saved 3.0 lbs. The oem 3rd cat is 7.0 lbs. The Megan (with gaskets and fastners) is 4.0 lbs. During my next update of the "TL Diet" thread, the Megan will be added to my weight-reduction list.

Time for the picture show

Old 07-28-2007, 02:36 AM
I (don't) whine.

^is there a gasket between the megan pipe and exhaust?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Inaccurate, do fumes smell bad or the same?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
some people complain of the smell of fuel after installing a straight pipe
Old 07-28-2007, 01:05 PM
i R shehmir

could we use the 03 honda accord strut bars on our TL? like an greddy strut bar for an 03 honda accord?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
yes, but you have to custom fit it. its only hold down by 1 or 2 bolt. Mr. Heeltoe is working on a prototype for the TL right now. So wait.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I (don't) whine.

^i'm running a 3rd cat straight pipe with my jpipe also, no smell. If you run all 3 cats with straight pipes you'll smell it.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

is there a gasket between the megan pipe and exhaust?

Yes, the Megan came with two gaskets included. They appear to be high quality. There is a gasket at each end of the Megan (as illustrated with the red arrows).

do fumes smell bad or the same?

I have not driven the car yet except for a quick test drive today. I WOT a few times to see how the pipe felt. So, after 10 minutes and a few WOT's, things were up to temperature. I did Not smell anything while driving. However, when I got home and got out of the car, there was a definite smell from outside the car emitting from the pipe itself (or gasket). The smell was that like someone welding. If you are not familiar with the smell of someone welding, it is similar to an oil drop on hot exhaust pipe (the smell only, no smoke).

I feel that the smell is nothing to worry about. I would even say that it is expected to have such smell when installing a new exhaust component, especially something this far upstream (hotter gasses). I fully expect the smell to be gone after a few days. And, to repeat for clarity, I did Not smell anything inside the car.

I did not notice any change in the smell of the exhuast coming out of the muffler. I did stands behind the idling car several times to see if it sounded different. And, I did Not notice a change from it's usual exhuast smell.

Did you feel any performance increase?

I did Not feel a performance increase during my quick 10 minute test drive. I did WOT a few times, and I felt no gains. However, I am Not disappointed with the pipe. A little performance gain would had been great, but there are other advantages too. I hated that ugly, bulky oem 3rd cat. So, I am happy to replace the oem piece with the slim, attractive Megan. And, I was hoping for a weight reduction, which I got. I had hoped for more, but I am pleased with the 3 lbs weight-loss. I was also hoping for a tougher sounding exhaust tone, but there is no sound difference (neither at idle nor at WOT). Overall, I am glad that I got it.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:44 AM
I (don't) whine.

^appreciate the response
Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Safety Car

- - - U P D A T E - - -

Here is an update now that I have had a chance to drive the car under typical conditions. I am not a fan of test drives to evaluate improvements. For me, I can spot things much easier when driving my daily routine to/from work.

SMELL -
The smell is gone. Not even the slightest hint of a smell from either inside or outside of the car.

SOUND -
I notice an extremely small increase in sound while idling in gear, such as waiting at a red light. Plus, a extremely small increase in sound while accelerating at a normal pace (light throttle) up to approx 20 - 30 mph. Other than those two situations, I notice no difference in sound level.

PERFORMANCE -
I still think that there is zero increase in performance. Light throttle, medium throttle, and WOT (w/ 6500 rpm shifts) all have no increase in performance.

RECOMMENDATION -
I can not honestly recommend this mod. The typical person would either be expecting a performance gain and/or a better sounding exhaust. And, the 3rd cat delete offered neither of these two advantages. For me, I am very happy that I did it for several reasons as discussed in my previous post.

Cheers
Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
G35Killerrr

You will feel the different if you take out the 3rd cat and replace with a stright pipe,I done that and no problem at all,and i just bought a used OBX header(1st & 2nd cat out) and j pipe for the 03+ AV6 I will let you guy know after i install it but I dont know how what kind of setup im going to yet I probably will put a high flow cat back on the 3rd cat location or run with out any cat.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:28 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KenUA6
You will feel the different if you take out the 3rd cat and replace with a stright pipe,I done that and no problem at all,and i just bought a used OBX header(1st & 2nd cat out) and j pipe for the 03+ AV6 I will let you guy know after i install it but I dont know how what kind of setup im going to yet I probably will put a high flow cat back on the 3rd cat location or run with out any cat.

Define "feel gains"... This mod is as close to a striaght pipe as you can have, and he reported no gains.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I (don't) whine.

^^Just fyi from what i heard the obx headers aren't that great quality and don't exactly just bolt up straight to our cars.

Quick Reply: swaping out the cat for a straight pipe?