swaping out the cat for a straight pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:40 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am not sure in the N/A application, but for those who are supercharged, I believe the straight pipe should yield some good power.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by lookinco
i am not sure in the N/A application, but for those who are supercharged, I believe the straight pipe should yield some good power.
Not sure if this is his problem or not...but here is what this guy got with 3rd cat delete on supercharger....

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/my-car-still-sale-13-000-obo-145094/
Old 09-27-2006, 03:33 PM
B A N N E D

My supercharged TL has 3rd cat delete and it doesn't have problem. Maybe something is wrong with his car.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:53 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by lookinco
My supercharged TL has 3rd cat delete and it doesn't have problem. Maybe something is wrong with his car.
Must be then....I didnt know off hand yours was SC too....:blindfold my fault!
Old 04-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
So, any updates with the prototype guys? Also, encrypted, where did you order the straight pipe from?
Old 04-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Port & Polish Everything

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by encrypted03
The computer would probably have a shit fit with the readings it'll be getting, similar to what I had on the Altima w/ no cats Maybe an 02 simulator would work, or spacing the sensors a bit farther down the exhaust path.
cover the o2 sensor with spark plug defoulers to eliminate any CEL
Old 04-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by outersquare
cover the o2 sensor with spark plug defoulers to eliminate any CEL

have you tried this on a TL?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Advanced

what kind of gains are we talking about here?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Bump, has anyone else recently done this?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:44 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Why do you guys do this... ?

Not that I'm a tree hugger, but the cats serve a purpose, and it's environmentally irresponsible of you knuckleheads to remove them to gain a few meager additional HP.

The pro-cats have been shown to add 20HP or so, removing the 3rd cat can't offer but a few HP. The detriment to the environment you live in far exceeds the unoticeable gains you'll receive.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kennedy

Not that I'm a tree hugger, but the cats serve a purpose, and it's environmentally irresponsible of you knuckleheads to remove them to gain a few meager additional HP.

The pro-cats have been shown to add 20HP or so, removing the 3rd cat can't offer but a few HP. The detriment to the environment you live in far exceeds the unoticeable gains you'll receive.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:30 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by STANGMMX
Right...
Your attitude is exactly what I expect from a 20YO with more money than sense.

It's completely stupid to remove the 3rd cat, reduce performance, only to, in the end be able to say, "heh, I'm running a test pipe"... badass.

I'm impressed with your eagerness to mod things without knowing the impact of the mod, or without any consideration of any other factors such as environmental... Have fun in your smog machine you irresponsible

I wonder why the mods allow discussion of these types of mods, which are FEDERAL crimes if used on the street, but disallow discussion of "ways to disable the seatbelt nag", which is only a non-moving traffic violation in most states.

Hmmm...
Old 04-17-2007, 03:25 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Come on you guys...its a public forum! Of course there are those that are NOT going to agree with you. No reason to go waving the ghey flag at each other now! I call an unnecessary gheyness penalty! Five minutes in the box with a pair of pink fuzzy slippers on!
Old 04-17-2007, 05:18 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Right...
Your attitude is exactly what I expect from a 20YO with more money than sense.

It's completely stupid to remove the 3rd cat, reduce performance, only to, in the end be able to say, "heh, I'm running a test pipe"... badass.

I'm impressed with your eagerness to mod things without knowing the impact of the mod, or without any consideration of any other factors such as environmental... Have fun in your smog machine you irresponsible

I wonder why the mods allow discussion of these types of mods, which are FEDERAL crimes if used on the street, but disallow discussion of "ways to disable the seatbelt nag", which is only a non-moving traffic violation in most states.

Hmmm...

Well put.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts

Hmmm...

we do it by choice, we could allow discussions about seat belts but Ron and I dont like it

AND......here you go again questioning the admin.....hmmmm
Old 04-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
there is nothing wrong with questioning authority............especially when it makes sense
Old 04-17-2007, 05:47 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by trancemission
we do it by choice, we could allow discussions about seat belts but Ron and I dont like it

AND......here you go again questioning the admin.....hmmmm
Easy...
Not so much questioning the admins... questioning the culture...
and perhaps suggesting to all admins that allowing discussions of modifications that are Federally mandated might warrant a bit of moderator oversight and attention.

With all the attention on the environment these days, I think that's a lot of liability for you guys to absorb if folks are doing these mods based on posts here...

just a suggestion.

and i still think it's a dumb, environmentally irresponsible, and useless mod which will yield little to no gains.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
With all the attention on the environment these days, I think that's a lot of liability for you guys to absorb if folks are doing these mods based on posts here...
we do not to censor discussions. if somebody wants to remove it thinking hes going to get more HP then its his choice.

If he wants to street race and not wear his seatbelt, then they are doing it by choice. Not by me telling them too...

So get used to people doing stupid shit on this site....
Old 04-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Advanced

just answer the question. what kind of gain are we talking about? i don't even want to do the mod if it doesn't pass inspection, i just want to know just for the sake of knowing.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:42 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by trancemission
So get used to people doing stupid shit on this site....
Aint it the truth! And I am NOT for censorship either!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:26 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pro-cats have been shown to add 20HP or so, removing the 3rd cat can't offer but a few HP. The detriment to the environment you live in far exceeds the unnoticeable gains you'll receive.

Maybe I am wrong, but if replacing the three OEM cats with three "Race" cats yeilds 20 FWHP, wouldn't removing one of those to replace it with a straight pipe yield even more gains than "a few meager additional HP"?

I dont know, Many people I know have done this to the S2000 and seen noticeable gains, and on top of that, it would yield a different exhaust note as well, which a lot of people are looking for now, especially since Comptech is gone and there is no other exhaust at the moment.

As for the environmental part about it, I'm sorry, but removing 1 cat out of 3 is not going to cause any more harm. The third cat has no 02 sensor after it, so it is not even being monitored, causing me to believe that it's functions are negligible at best. I think the main reason for the 3rd cat is just noise reduction, and Honda/Acuras never ending pursuit of ULEV vehicles. With that being said, and the fact that the car is ULEV, maybe removing the cat will just make it LEV?

Just my so take it for what it's worth.....
Old 04-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced

who has done this? notice anything significant? has it been dyno'd?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
[QUOTE= I think the main reason for the 3rd cat is just noise reduction, and Honda/Acuras never ending pursuit of ULEV vehicles. With that being said, and the fact that the car is ULEV, maybe removing the cat will just make it LEV?

Just my so take it for what it's worth.....[/QUOTE]

Not saying its bad; but in many years to come i predict Honda will have developed SMULEV (Super_Mega_Ultra_Low_Emission_Vehicle).
Old 04-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
I think the main reason for the 3rd cat is just noise reduction, and Honda/Acuras never ending pursuit of ULEV vehicles. With that being said, and the fact that the car is ULEV, maybe removing the cat will just make it LEV?

Just my so take it for what it's worth.....
Not saying its bad; but in many years from now i predict Honda will have developed SMULEV (Super_Mega_Ultra_Low_Emission_Vehicle).
Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
Not saying its bad; but in many years from now i predict Honda will have developed SMULEV (Super_Mega_Ultra_Low_Emission_Vehicle).
Only to be followed by the SDMULEV (Super_Duper_Mega_Ultra_Low_Emmission_Vehicle)!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Only to be followed by the SDMULEV (Super_Duper_Mega_Ultra_Low_Emmission_Vehicle)!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:53 PM
My Daily Driver

hahahahaha.....oh man, you guys are great! Where else can conversations like this be held.....
Old 05-13-2007, 05:29 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

well, wouldnt removing the 3rd cat free up the movement of air thru the exhaust and be less restrictive which would then be increasing hp? what about removing 3rd cat, replacing resonator w/ dynomax and deleting mid-muffler? any gains?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 PM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo, a question for those of you running w/o the 3rd cat, what are you guys using?

DMH 2.5 E-cut out, Omni Power or Megan Racing test pipes for the Accord???

I'm contemplating on removing my 3rd cat but am split on what would work and fit the best!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Cruisin'

I replaced my 3rd cat with the Megan Racing piece. I cant comment on the other units, but I will say that the Megan racing test pipe was of very good quality. You wont really hear a difference in sound either, because the Megan Racing pipe has the components of a resonator. As far as fitament goes, it appears to be slightly shorter than the stock cat, but bolted up with very little trouble. Keep in mind, I own a Accord... but I already have confirmed that the TL j-pipe is exactly the same length.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:22 AM
DER NEUE ^

^nice, thanks, what's the part #, how much and where did you get it? i can't find the one for the 7 Gen Accord, even Megan site doesn't list it, wtf? What about the specs, inside/outside diameter of the pipe?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Cruisin'

I actually went to Megan Racing's facility since it is only 15min away from my house. I am positive you can find one on EBAY. The piping is 2.5" inner diameter, but once again I am stuck at work so I will have to double check once i get home. When I was talking to the guys over at Megan, they said they havent updated the website in a while... They also said that there is an exhaust manifold for the 03-05 Accord V6 in development.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:45 AM
DER NEUE ^

ok thanks for the info on the test pipe, I will look harder now knowing that it's out there haha!
as for the exhaust manifold for our cars, forget about it, there is no separate manifold, it is one piece with the engine. the cats bolt up directly to the engine, again an emission feature!

after you installed the Megan did you feel any difference in performance, sound?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Cruisin'

Well what I meant was an exhaust solution like the "headers" OBX makes for the Accord V6... basically replacing the piping from the engine to the flex pipe. Of course, doing so would throw emission compliance out the window... but its been dyno proven to have some serious gains on the Accord V6.

As for performance gains... It "felt" better. But take from it what you will, I will never know without any dyno proof. Although on member on .net said he saw 8whp from it. Barely any noticeable difference in sound too, it acts as a resonator.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:18 AM
DER NEUE ^

Originally Posted by rjricenbeans
Well what I meant was an exhaust solution like the "headers" OBX makes for the Accord V6... basically replacing the piping from the engine to the flex pipe. Of course, doing so would throw emission compliance out the window... but its been dyno proven to have some serious gains on the Accord V6.

As for performance gains... It "felt" better. But take from it what you will, I will never know without any dyno proof. Although on member on .net said he saw 8whp from it. Barely any noticeable difference in sound too, it acts as a resonator.
I'm sold

Check on Honda research racing TL they went catless back then with great results , gained good power, but it was a strictly racing set up and a one off w/ prototype racing headers. I don't believe this solution would be street-friendly!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:01 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

im a little confused..some say its reduced performance some say it gained..which is it lol? with 3rd cat replaced, would increase or decrease power? currently im running a stage 3 exhaust (dynomax resonator and mid-muffler delete) would the 3rd cat removed,would there be abny increase in power at all and by how much? if its not by much im probably going to leave it alone
Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 PM
DER NEUE ^

^I say give the test pipe a try, it should help increase the flow since the cat corks up the flow quite a bit! Some NA guys lost power with a custom j-pipe, that's a separate issue though.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:46 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

you think removing it would pass inspection? also..are there any sensors inside it like o2 sensors that are going to be affected by the removal?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Cruisin'

No, you will not be able to pass inspection with that 3rd cat removed... this, in part, helps with the ultra low emissions rating of the car... removing it will negate that. Its a straight bolt on, so swapping it out in time for inspection is no trouble at all. There are no sensors inside it at all and nothing will be affected. Keep in mind that the stock cat is already better higher flowing than the 2 pre-cats, so gains will be minimal. Every little bit helps though.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:53 PM
DER NEUE ^

^you took the words out of my mouth haha

Quick Reply: swaping out the cat for a straight pipe?