Straight Piped The "S"

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 PM
BradTLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight Piped The "S"

Hey Guys,

Thought id share with you my exhaust experience haha. I went today to get the stage 2 mod done, however i got in a dispute with the mechanic, he said that adding another res and straight piping the other will hardly be noticeable. I said i do NOT want rasp! He said there wont be much straight piping. So, sure enough, we went for it.. Im now Stage 4 lol!

It sounds pretty cooool, however theres a bad rasp at about 2,800... Real ugly.. So im defianetly putting the Magnaflow 18'' Res on to tame that. Will be running the straights for a week.. so will have fun while i can. So loud, and does sound nice at 3000+ RPM. Turns heads haha! Almost a lambo whine to it believe it or not.

Will probably post vids of the Stage 4 Mod i currently have and then the Stage 2 im replacing it with..

Take Care Guys!
Brad.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I would be to embarrassed to drive it.
The following 2 users liked this post by pohljm:
bmore07tls (05-31-2013), Undying Dreams (06-01-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 10:28 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
straight piping the mid muffler and adding a magnaflow in place of the stock resonator makes it sound good. a hair louder then a g35. your set up is gonna have rasp.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
I would be to embarrassed to drive it.
Lol. Me too. I have the added disadvantage of the car getting really slow in the summer so it would be a bunch if noise and high rpm but going nowhere, the exact type of car I usually laugh at. I actually like that mines quiet so hopefully people don't know how much throttle I'm giving it once it heat soaks.
The following users liked this post:
pohljm (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts

"Lambo whine"

Get that resonator ASAP!

Don't ever let a mechanic sway what you want.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:59 AM
BradTLS

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Lol. Me too. I have the added disadvantage of the car getting really slow in the summer so it would be a bunch if noise and high rpm but going nowhere, the exact type of car I usually laugh at. I actually like that mines quiet so hopefully people don't know how much throttle I'm giving it once it heat soaks.
I don't have enough heat to have it heat soaking yet up here.. However yes, I've gotta watch what rpm I lay into the gas or there's a bad rasp.. It's only for a week guys, I didn't say it's permanent dont hate! I've actually had lots of compliments tbh lol. And ya, when I've got a soud and goal set, I'm not letting the mechanic sway my decisions. Ill take vids.. It's not loud after 3500 really.

Love the feedback aha
Old 06-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by BradTLS
I don't have enough heat to have it heat soaking yet up here.. However yes, I've gotta watch what rpm I lay into the gas or there's a bad rasp.. It's only for a week guys, I didn't say it's permanent dont hate! I've actually had lots of compliments tbh lol. And ya, when I've got a soud and goal set, I'm not letting the mechanic sway my decisions. Ill take vids.. It's not loud after 3500 really.

Love the feedback aha
Don't worry, I did the same for 2 days on my turbo car. I thought the turbo would stop the rasp. Wrong! My turbo V6 sounded like a riced out Civic and ironically not a whole lot louder than the straight through mufflers I removed, just not as deep and with rasp. I did tend to floor it when I wanted to annoy other drivers during those 2 days but I couldn't have lived with it any longer than that and I'm sure everyone within a couple blocks were happy the mufflers went back on.

With both my turbo car and the TL, both sounded ok with open exhaust at the 3rd cat location. Loud but no rasp when under load.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:42 PM
BradTLS

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Don't worry, I did the same for 2 days on my turbo car. I thought the turbo would stop the rasp. Wrong! My turbo V6 sounded like a riced out Civic and ironically not a whole lot louder than the straight through mufflers I removed, just not as deep and with rasp. I did tend to floor it when I wanted to annoy other drivers during those 2 days but I couldn't have lived with it any longer than that and I'm sure everyone within a couple blocks were happy the mufflers went back on.

With both my turbo car and the TL, both sounded ok with open exhaust at the 3rd cat location. Loud but no rasp when under load.
Good! makes me feel better.. dont get me completely wrong, i know how to drive the car now to avoid ugly rasp, i drive it smooth and open it up more after 3000, and it sounds real nicee.. however id like to just have it sound smooth all the way through the RPM band. So yeppp, DynoMax res is going on soon Good fun while it lasted like u said aha.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:01 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Talking about embarrassed about some rasp.
I'm running a header and hi flow cat only till I get my aluminum exhaust pieces.
I don't drive it that much at all but my car sounds like a helicopter at idle and just touching the gas to move sounds like some of your cars WOT.
Still taking it to the strip like that though.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:14 AM
BradTLS

Originally Posted by richardparker
Talking about embarrassed about some rasp.
I'm running a header and hi flow cat only till I get my aluminum exhaust pieces.
I don't drive it that much at all but my car sounds like a helicopter at idle and just touching the gas to move sounds like some of your cars WOT.
Still taking it to the strip like that though.
Holly haha! No i.. took the car out for the night tonight, in toronto.. Sounded really nice actually, now that i can work around the rasp.. Lots of heads turned and compliments. But lol at the helicopter at idle! i maaaay or may not add resonator now, everyones saying leave it when they hear it!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 351 Posts
Stage 4 rasp