Straight pipe with no muffler with supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:48 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight pipe with no muffler with supercharger

So we all know that for NA cars we need back pressure so the exhaust pipe cannot be too big.

However on FI cars, do we need back pressure? Would we gain performance if we have a high flow exhaust? for example, the exhaust manifold would go to a straight 3" pipe with no cats or muffler.

Since we have two exhaust manifold, would there be gain if we have two seperate pipe, one going to each exhaust manifold? for example, true dual straight pipe exhaust with no cats or muffler.

I know that with a exhaust like that it would be LOUD AS HELL, but this is for racing and track only.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Originally Posted by lookinco
So we all know that for NA cars we need back pressure so the exhaust pipe cannot be too big.

However on FI cars, do we need back pressure? Would we gain performance if we have a high flow exhaust? for example, the exhaust manifold would go to a straight 3" pipe with no cats or muffler.

Since we have two exhaust manifold, would there be gain if we have two seperate pipe, one going to each exhaust manifold? for example, true dual straight pipe exhaust with no cats or muffler.

I know that with a exhaust like that it would be LOUD AS HELL, but this is for racing and track only.
With only pushing 4 psi of boost, you still will need some back pressure.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:52 AM
The Boss

running a straight pipe, you know how loud the car will be? I have a clip of a cobra running 4'' straight pipe...... you should hear it. hahahaha crazy
Old 09-05-2006, 10:08 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Will be loud as hell, sound like shit, and very hard to run true duals due to lack of space under the car. Could be done but would take some time and not worth the effort.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

True duals would work, but there are several things you would need to do to make it effective. First, equal lenght, second, there would need to be a H-pipe or a X-pipe to balance pressure between the two sides of the Engine. Third, you would need to drop the size of the tubing back down to force a bit of back pressure, if not you would just burn valves.

With the low amount of pressure with the CT setup, I would just use the Procats and some 3" tubing after the J-pipe. JMO
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 PM
B A N N E D

So do you think the stock J pipe is good enough and would actually be better since we are running low boost?

If that's the case, I would just run 3" pipe from the J pipe and exit in the back with no cats or muffler, or maybe a straight through muffler.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So do you think the stock J pipe is good enough and would actually be better since we are running low boost?

If that's the case, I would just run 3" pipe from the J pipe and exit in the back with no cats or muffler, or maybe a straight through muffler.
The J-pipe is still some what of a kink. With the way it was designed, the rear has the major bend in it and the front is almost straight. The problem with redoing the J-pipe, is keeping them equal lenght. From the previous testing I read about on a replacement J-pipe, they lost power on the all motor TL's. I am not sure if there was ever any testing on the SC TL's.

Be sure to dyno the car before and then right after with the new exhaust, this will let you know if what you did is helping. I would try to find a flange to work with, this way you are not chopping your stock exhaust to get it. Good luck!

Jason
Old 09-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
running a straight pipe, you know how loud the car will be? I have a clip of a cobra running 4'' straight pipe...... you should hear it. hahahaha crazy
A V8 with straight pipes will be alot louder then a V6 with straight pipes
Old 09-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You should take into consideration that if you open up your exhaust with a SC, you will lose boost. The motor will breath better and it also opens up the possibility of manipulating the pulley size to push the boost back a little.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:38 PM
B A N N E D

That is actually my next step, to have pulleys made to boost a little more and hopfully will also lean out the overly rich AF ratio under boost.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:45 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TLdriver022
A V8 with straight pipes will be alot louder then a V6 with straight pipes

thats not saying much though. i had a 98 tt supra and for fun (bored) took off the mufflers and ran straight pipe. loud as shit, mufflers went back on