Stoptech Front Rotor-New Design?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation Stoptech Front Rotor-New Design?

The pictures will mostly tell the story. I ordered these rotors from XLR8. I compared them with the same rotors in another thread and the differences are obvious. I checked around and also checked my boxes and these are indeed both Stoptech rotors.

The part numbers are the same... 127.40062R & 127.40062L.

All the pictures of the old rotors are from mmade22's thread and credit is to be his of the older photos. Here is his thread...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...toptech+rotors

Old Rotor

New rotor

New rotor looks great! Difference are...
  • More holes. At least double. They are also more beveled than before. Also, there is a new pattern to the number of holes. They go 5,5,5,4,5,4,5,5,5,4,5,4.
  • There used to be 8 slots per rotor side. Now there are only 6.
  • Surface isn't smoothish. It has, I don't know how to describe it, uhhh, a machined surface.
Has anyone else gotten the new rotors and noticed this?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by NCTL05

It has, I don't know how to describe it, uhhh, a machined surface.
The surface has a "cross-hatch finish".

Kudos to you for spotting the difference. If it was me, I would had been too excited to get it installed to notice.

Looking forward to seeing pics once installed.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Looking forward to seeing pics once installed.
Definitely!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
The new design looks awesome...waiting for pics!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i have either these rotors or the old one pictured.....they are a good rotor once u get a good glaze on them (bed-in process). took me a while to break them in. but after about 20-30k, they get warped....as mine are currently
Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by djbonsu
i have either these rotors or the old one pictured.....they are a good rotor once u get a good glaze on them (bed-in process). took me a while to break them in. but after about 20-30k, they get warped....as mine are currently
I've been using rotora ceramics for my brembos and no warpage of stock rotors after 25k miles of usage.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Hmmm...I got the stoptech pads to go along with these. Hopefully they won't warp. But if they ever do I'll still have my stockers around. I'll just soak the stock ones in WD40 and they should stay rust free.

The pics of them installed won't be up until this weekend.

djbonsu...you have the old ones. Maybe these won't warp.

Last edited by NCTL05; 08-04-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Angry

Son of a bitch!!! I got the passenger side done with no problems. But I could not get the caliper bolts off of the driver's side. My first attempt was using a ratchet and socket with a 3 ft breaker bar. There was a loud pop and I broke the ratchet. All the little gears inside stripped. Then I tried another ratchet with a 3 ft breaker bar and used a jack to raise the bar. POP!! TWIST!! It twisted the little ratchet nub right off. Scratch another ratchet. Then I borrowed my neighbors 1/2" drive SnapOn ratchet, used it and the breaker bar with the jack applying the pressure. Nothing. It turned at least 40 degrees without busting the bolts loose. When I let the jack down it just returned to it's starting position.

I mean what the FUCK!!! That means there is more than 100 ft-lb of torque on both of those bolts. They've never been off since the factory.

It pissed me off so much. I'm still mad. Instead of trying to use an air gun on it myself I'm going to go to the dealership and let them do that side. Whenever a bolt is that tight that means the head is going to twist off or the threads are going to strip out if it is removed. So I'll let the dealership fuck it up getting the bolts out. That way if they do mess it up then they'll be responsible for replacing the caliper and bolts for free.

Has anyone ever had this problem taking the caliper off the car before?? It's a brembo caliper. It's not reverse threaded on the driver's side is it?? I was doing lefty loosey.

Last edited by NCTL05; 08-07-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmmm...I got the stoptech pads to go along with these. Hopefully they won't warp. But if they ever do I'll still have my stockers around. I'll just soak the stock ones in WD40 and they should stay rust free.

The pics of them installed won't be up until this weekend.

djbonsu...you have the old ones. Maybe these won't warp.
I would think the stoptech pads would be good on the stoptech rotors. Are they ceramic? I didn't know wd40 did that!

Son of a bitch!!! I got the passenger side done with no problems. But I could not get the caliper bolts off of the driver's side. My first attempt was using a ratchet and socket with a 3 ft breaker bar. There was a loud pop and I broke the ratchet. All the little gears inside stripped. Then I tried another ratchet with a 3 ft breaker bar and used a jack to raise the bar. POP!! TWIST!! It twisted the little ratchet nub right off. Scratch another ratchet. Then I borrowed my neighbors 1/2" drive SnapOn ratchet, used it and the breaker bar with the jack applying the pressure. Nothing. It turned at least 40 degrees without busting the bolts loose. When I let the jack down it just returned to it's starting position.

I mean what the FUCK!!! That means there is more than 100 ft-lb of torque on both of those bolts. They've never been off since the factory.

It pissed me off so much. I'm still mad. Instead of trying to use an air gun on it myself I'm going to go to the dealership and let them do that side. Whenever a bolt is that tight that means the head is going to twist off or the threads are going to strip out if it is removed. So I'll let the dealership fuck it up getting the bolts out. That way if they do mess it up then they'll be responsible for replacing the caliper and bolts for free.

Has anyone ever had this problem taking the caliper off the car before?? It's a brembo caliper. It's not reverse threaded on the driver's side is it?? I was doing lefty loosey.
Wow, that is crazy dude! I'm not sure I've ever seen a bolt that tight before. I was able to remove those bolts on my car without a ton of effort. I would definitely have the dealership remove those.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:26 AM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Will these rotors crack in the future like some others drilled rotors ?

Last edited by boyhamdzui; 08-08-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed my stop tech rotors and pads about a month ago and they look the same as yours. I had a similar problem to yours though. I snapped one of the bolts on the right rear and then had to tap the piece out that was still stuck in there. It then took acura a few days to get in a new bolt but luckily I found a bolt laying around that did the trick for a couple days.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Originally Posted by boyhamdzui
Will these rotors crack in the future like some others drilled rotors ?
These shouldn't crack. The only time I've seen drilled rotors crack was when a blank disc was drilled and not designed to be drilled. What usually happens with those is that they actually drill through the vanes creating weak points in the structure of the rotor. Then when they heat up they crack.
The stop techs are designed to be drilled. None of the vanes have been drilled through.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:06 PM
BMW 535i

Do the Stoptech rotors have the same quality with Rotora ? I like the drilled look.I have the 5AT 07 TL , I didn't not change the caliper yet. My question is do we have to change the caliper to install drilled or slotted rotors ?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

You have to take off the caliper to install new rotors.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

I just checked the service manual for the torque specs on the caliper bolts cause I was curious. For the Brembo calipers the bolts are torqued to 125 ft-lbs. Why!? The normal calipers are only torqued to 80 ft-lbs. Why such a difference? No wonder I broke my tools.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 PM
BMW 535i

That's not what I mean. I want to ask can I keep the stock caliper in order to use the slotted & drilled rotors ?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

That's not what I mean. I want to ask can I keep the stock caliper in order to use the slotted & drilled rotors ?
Oh ok. Yes you can use the stock caliper. They are the same size rotors. Just order the ones for the automatic tranny if you have that or for the brembos if you have those.

Here are pics of the one I was able to put on. I haven't broken it in yet. I'm waiting to get the other one on before I do that.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:54 PM
BMW 535i

thx . I already have 48000 miles. After the original rotors, I will order those slotted & drilled .I like the sport looks but it will bite a lot of meat in the pads . Or maybe I will do the drilled only .

Last edited by boyhamdzui; 08-08-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Do the Stoptech rotors have the same quality with Rotora ? I like the drilled look.I have the 5AT 07 TL , I didn't not change the caliper yet. My question is do we have to change the caliper to install drilled or slotted rotors ?
They are actually better quality than the ROTORA. That is one of the reasons we have switched to STOPTECH as our primary brake supplier. They use a power alloy compound in most of their discs and their disc for the Auto Base TL actually is a curved vane setup. So, all in all, the compound, design, coating and price are all better than ROTORA. So it was a no brainer.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Yeah. I got these because of Josh's recommendation.

I got the other one installed. I can already tell without breaking them in that they bite more than stock stuff. I'll wait until midnight tonight to give them a thourough flogging. Then I'll report back on how they do.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Well. I got them all broke in. It's been a couple days so I can give an objective view. They squeal under light use as in stop and go traffic. I'm not one to care about that because they are after all performance rotors. Maybe some more breaking in. Today I gave it a good 65-0 panic stop on purpose to see how they would handle it. Let me say that these brakes have a hella bite! The car stopped way quicker than the stock rotors and pads. I felt like my head was going to pop off my shoulders. It was actually quite surprising that it stopped so quickly that I may not have given full effort to the stop. But still I am very impressed.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah I had to use a lot lubricant and let it 'soak' in for a few minutes, and even after that I used a hammer with a breaker bar. The right side was easier b/c I could just step on the tire iron (it's 19mm, and so are the two bolts holding the caliper). And yes they are tight... 125 ft lbs to be exact (according to the service manual) compared to the back which are about 41 ft lbs (can't remember).

And was Stoptech acquired by Centric Parts or something? I just got mine and they came in a PowerSlot box?
Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh and just to add:

My problem was the retaining screws... used an impact screwdriver (one whack tight to shake off the rust, and one or two whacks loose). I was only successful on two of the four retaining screws, and had to drill the other ones out.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Yeah. I didn't bother trying to save those screws. I just drilled them out too since you don't need them anymore. And I sure wasn't about to spend any money on a new tool to only use it once. My boxes were the same as yours. They didn't say stoptech on them either. Maybe this is why the design was a little different.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Well. The slight squeal in city traffic was driving me crazy. I did another break in period. This time I only did like a 8-10 minute cool down instead of 15min. before I started the final bed-in run. It made all the difference. Now the brakes are nice and quiet.