Side skirt exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
You wouldn't happen to know what company the intake runners would be under, would you?

And kudos for the link.
P2R (Power Rev Racing), excelerate sells them and he's a vendor here supporting azine these runners will only fit the 3.5 TL motors and not the 3.2 to my knowledge.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
P2R (Power Rev Racing), excelerate sells them and he's a vendor here supporting azine these runners will only fit the 3.5 TL motors and not the 3.2 to my knowledge.
Awesome, thank you.

Edit* I assume they will only fit the 3.5L due to being made for the Accord EX, correct?
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-222320.aspx

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 03-21-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Awesome, thank you.

Edit* I assume they will only fit the 3.5L due to being made for the Accord EX, correct?
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-222320.aspx
I just found out that they fit the 3.2 TL's too !
Old 03-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by makowish
Mostly the side exhausts would be for uniqueness. So far as I can tell it would be the only one, so definitely unique. I like the flat piping idea. I'll have to look into that.

I have considered the idea of cutouts, but if the side exhausts are too little backpressure, cutouts wouldn't have any performance gain would they? I don't know what kind of backpressure these engines like.

Spray is a non-option. Personal preference, don't want a sprayed car.

The reason I don't want to get the supercharger off the bat is in any engine I'd rather build everything NA then add forced induction. Less things break that way from what I've seen. I feel like a supercharger without doing the other work wouldn't be worth the money. It's also a much larger investment to make at one time, I can build the exhaust slowly, then install it, and then get the intakes, ect. ect.

20whp from precats? holy crap.
If you really want to do this, than props for you.

I assume power increase isn't your number one priority, or else you'd probably go for a turn down right after the J-Pipe.

A single side exit would be ideal, but one to each side would probably be more aesthetically pleasing. 2.5" in diameter is plenty, as you have to keep in mind that it will still be limited by the 2.25" 3rd cat and J-Pipe diameter. No point in doing 3" unless it's for looks. Remember, a larger exhaust diameter changes the frequencies, usually lower and louder.

As far as routing, I'd suggest oval tubes for the routing underneath, since there is no exhaust pipe cavity to the side, you will lose ground clearance. A giant resonator after the 3rd cat will help a lot. Keep at 2.5" in diameter, or better yet get a chamber muffler (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8105). Right after that you want to go at either a 45 degree or 90 degree, depending on how much space you have from the center to your side exit location. Fabricate a hanger and attach it to something. Lastly, add some thermal-tape underneath your side skirts so it doesn't melt the paint.

Finally, you have your side exit exhaust.

Besides telling you what everyone else has, that there is a difference between being unique and something that just doesn't look right, it's your car and hopefully this helps you on your mission.

*But for example, this kid is very unique. I have not seen anyone do this before. The unique choice of color, and the way it is applied is dazzling and very eye catching for unprepared bystanders! The problem is not that he's not unique, but just sometimes unique just doesn't look right.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Besides stillhere153, also look up Blackura_NY and his "Beautiful day for a dyno" thread.

Both are NA with just about every bolt on known for the TL. Blackura_NY dyno'd at ~292 WHP (IIRC). Assuming he gained some drive train effeciency, that'd be roughly equal to 330-ish crank HP.
I thought Blackura has a Type-S.. doesn't the OP have a base TL?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 AM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by aznbo187
If you really want to do this, than props for you.

I assume power increase isn't your number one priority, or else you'd probably go for a turn down right after the J-Pipe.

A single side exit would be ideal, but one to each side would probably be more aesthetically pleasing. 2.5" in diameter is plenty, as you have to keep in mind that it will still be limited by the 2.25" 3rd cat and J-Pipe diameter. No point in doing 3" unless it's for looks. Remember, a larger exhaust diameter changes the frequencies, usually lower and louder.

As far as routing, I'd suggest oval tubes for the routing underneath, since there is no exhaust pipe cavity to the side, you will lose ground clearance. A giant resonator after the 3rd cat will help a lot. Keep at 2.5" in diameter, or better yet get a chamber muffler (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8105). Right after that you want to go at either a 45 degree or 90 degree, depending on how much space you have from the center to your side exit location. Fabricate a hanger and attach it to something. Lastly, add some thermal-tape underneath your side skirts so it doesn't melt the paint.

Finally, you have your side exit exhaust.

Besides telling you what everyone else has, that there is a difference between being unique and something that just doesn't look right, it's your car and hopefully this helps you on your mission.

*But for example, this kid is very unique. I have not seen anyone do this before. The unique choice of color, and the way it is applied is dazzling and very eye catching for unprepared bystanders! The problem is not that he's not unique, but just sometimes unique just doesn't look right.

WTF... ur a sick mother trucker mike!