Short ram for my '05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:18 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Short ram for my '05 TL

So I came to the conclussion i should get a short ram. Figured its the better safer and easier alterternative, mainly because the weather in MA is mostly rainy and im not trying to get water in my CAI. I cant find a short ram for an acura TL on any sites and was thinking of making my own, ive seen some people make their own and they are very happy with the results. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just got this baby cant wait to turn it into a monster
Old 06-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Bro, as long as you're not dropped your fine. Most of the slammed cars get it hard with CAI in the rain and flood. If you want the best power, get a CAI and make it yourself one. Best advice is get a different TB (bigger) if you want to make your own 3.5 intake.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:39 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
ummmmm, might as well leave it stock if you're going to go with a short ram.
the short ram robs you power, and is like 200 dollars.

if you're fine with a 200 dollar robbing power device, go ahead and get it.

NOW, if all you want is the sound of induction, just remove the air intake resonator.

you'll get the same sound as your proposed short ram intake.

They call it a hot ram air for a reason
The following users liked this post:
I hate cars (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Yes, get a short ram because the factory cold air intake is too cool and a few rain drops will hydrolock your engine. Make sure you pay $200 for a $1 piece of pipe, a sticker, a clamp, and a $30 filter.

Just keep it stock or do a CAI which will give very small gains but at least you won't lose power. The problem is you're going to install the SRI and hear the induction noise and swear you picked up power.
justnspace (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
OP, Mr Krabbys is correct; our cars has a factory CAI just remove the air intake resonator like he suggested
justnspace (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
A note about the TL is it produce a lot of heat in the engine bay, it'll be your worst nightmare to install a SRI. It won't be a monster, it'll be a turtle and bogs.
justnspace (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
You should use hollowed out Pringles cans.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same exact idea and also live in MA. However, I decided to just use a K&N drop in for the summer due to my realization of the heat in the engine bay and switch to my custom Injen short ram for spring, fall and winter. I'd suggest you go with a full intake and not worry about hydrolock unless dropped considerably. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by rowman452
I had the same exact idea and also live in MA. However, I decided to just use a K&N drop in for the summer due to my realization of the heat in the engine bay and switch to my custom Injen short ram for spring, fall and winter. I'd suggest you go with a full intake and not worry about hydrolock unless dropped considerably. Good luck!

you're not gaining anything with that K&N filter.
its actually A lot WORSE than the factory paper filter.

and then, whats the point of going to a short ram in the fall/winter....it still sux up all the heat from the engine bay......
Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by rowman452
If doing all that work every year to lose power for three seasons and contaminate your engine for the fourth season makes you happy, then by all means, keep doing it.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

Exactly. A higher flowing filter can only give more power if the stock filter is a restriction. Unless the TL is modded enough to where it's flowing a lot more air than stock, the stock filter is not a restriction, even when fairly dirty. They're sized plenty large so that they can trap plenty of dirt without being a restriction.

I hate K&N filters because they filter terribly. I had one on my turbo car because it required more air than any paper filter could flow. That's a worthwhile tradeoff and chances are I would be rebuilding it long before the dirty air had a chance to cause problems. I did run into compressor wheel abrasion from the dust getting through.

I went with the Amsoil EAO filters which flow just as well as K&N yet filter better than most paper filters and no more compressor wheel abrasion. I wish they made one of those for the TL. They're washable, flow great, and require no oil.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like I said if i had to do it over again I would have just gone with a full CAI, but had already modified what I had so ... I use it in the environment it would be best for. the short ram I have isn't that short. It's beyond the battery just not all the way down into the bumper. It not that hard to swap over .. like 5 minutes
Old 06-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
I have my K&N CAI (also convertable into a short ram) sitting in my garage . I went back to stock and i am very happy. I think stock performs better then any CAI. My low end improved much after converting back and response as well. Plus i think it filters much better then the cone filter from a cai.. The only thing i do miss is the sound of it. It does really trick you into thinking that you are faster but you really aren't Sounds really good no doubt. I guess sometimes it would be worth it just for the sound effect but i dont know if I would go back.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
You should use hollowed out Pringles cans.
Don't forget to install the chip from the Pringles can for all of the torques.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by VicTL06
Don't forget to install the chip from the Pringles can for all of the torques.
I went the extra mile and installed multiple chips. I ate some though...

Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
guess Im a turtle with my SRI...smh.....just my two cents the gains is not much and where the filter sits is close to fender and power will not be lost!! til someone posts and shows me this on their TL.....

I do suggest though to build some sort of block off from the engine and filter sorta like a custom box the help keep heat away.....

I have stated this before SRI will not lose power in everything it goes in

I have tested this in an EP3 and gains were seen and as well in the TL......I believe Rodney had also dyno tested a TL and he removed the stock unit and some gains...there is restriction with the stock OEM intake system.....show me where OEM gains over SRI

I still say this CAI over SRI and SRI over OEM...although minimal gains whichever direction you go.... Intakes are just a support mod as you do more work towards engine and exhaust to help the car breathe better!! Intake alone whether it be SRI or CAI will not yield any gains that is felt.....sound is what you will get thinking that it feels stronger really......

Just my two cents.......now let the Pundits come and bash me for having SRI...(LOL)
Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
guess Im a turtle with my SRI...smh.....just my two cents the gains is not much and where the filter sits is close to fender and power will not be lost!! til someone posts and shows me this on their TL.....

I do suggest though to build some sort of block off from the engine and filter sorta like a custom box the help keep heat away.....

I have stated this before SRI will not lose power in everything it goes in

I have tested this in an EP3 and gains were seen and as well in the TL......I believe Rodney had also dyno tested a TL and he removed the stock unit and some gains...there is restriction with the stock OEM intake system.....show me where OEM gains over SRI

I still say this CAI over SRI and SRI over OEM...although minimal gains whichever direction you go.... Intakes are just a support mod as you do more work towards engine and exhaust to help the car breathe better!! Intake alone whether it be SRI or CAI will not yield any gains that is felt.....sound is what you will get thinking that it feels stronger really......

Just my two cents.......now let the Pundits come and bash me for having SRI...(LOL)
What would make you think the stock intake system is restrictive? I've measured vacuum, there basically is none. The only thing that changes is you're taking in hotter air with the SRI. I'm not sure how this can be debated. You're right in that it's more of a support mod. Once you're taking in SIGNIFICANTLY more air than stock, you might be able to use the higher flow. There's nothing short of heads/cam that will require a better filter though.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
What would make you think the stock intake system is restrictive? I've measured vacuum, there basically is none. The only thing that changes is you're taking in hotter air with the SRI. I'm not sure how this can be debated. You're right in that it's more of a support mod. Once you're taking in SIGNIFICANTLY more air than stock, you might be able to use the higher flow. There's nothing short of heads/cam that will require a better filter though.
I say restrictive because I believe Rodney had a TL on the dyno with stock intake and he had installed pcd's on the TL and it was robbing power and as soon as he removed the stock unit it gained power and numbers were where it was suppose to be for cars running pcd's and intake.

I mean I get the whole hot air being sucked in, but I would see this if the SRI was literally 2inches of pipe and then the filter....but most SRI that you see places the filter all the way next to fender and away from the heat area. I' m not good with wording, but in person I could give a much better explanation.

So quick example if you upgrade exhaust side and leave intake side stock...I mean you'll have air flowing much better on exhaust side right but if more air is not being flowed in the intake side what good was that exhaust mod right?

I also see what you mean by heads/cams will require better filter for flow...but with that being side it could be applied for CAI or SRI because if you essentially just do a CAI and nothing else, the gains will be too minimal to feel and only thing you are getting is sound to your ears to fool you that you have gained some power.....(same applies for SRI as well and sound effect even more fooling lol)

You can't tell me that a stock paper filter with resonator and boxed up is going to flow better air then say a SRI with for example take my set-up AEM dryfilter with a blocked off box to help keep heat away and a ram tube running down by fender in getting air from behind foglight trim/vent area?

Only time I could see the SRI being a real super bad issue is if you have been sitting in traffic and engine is burning hot and then you go to track or run someone at a redlight or go dyno it from being there sitting, then yes I could see SRI having some issues there, but for most part SRI should do the job over stock system....But it will never be better than CAI and this I agree 100%.......I live in Boston and if I am lucky I get 2months where it is really stupid hot and the rest of months it is kool and don't see SRI being a problem in my case...Again I will speak for myself as I have not had issues with my SRI set-up, cannot speak for say someone living in 100degree weather and always stuck in traffic. But at the point though really how effect is a CAI when it is sucking hot air from that steaming asphalt!

Again not really saying you are wrong or I am right, but from previous experiences and certain vehicles I don't see power lost over stock unit unless someone is placing the damn filter right up to throttlebody.

But for Novices sake and for people new to modding cars I will say CAI is better then SRI(that is a given) and will play nice and say SRI is a big no-no as our cars are known to have bad heat-soaking issues

Hows that IHC fair enough?

Last edited by BostonSilverTypeS; 06-18-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
I say restrictive because I believe Rodney had a TL on the dyno with stock intake and he had installed pcd's on the TL and it was robbing power and as soon as he removed the stock unit it gained power and numbers were where it was suppose to be for cars running pcd's and intake.

I mean I get the whole hot air being sucked in, but I would see this if the SRI was literally 2inches of pipe and then the filter....but most SRI that you see places the filter all the way next to fender and away from the heat area. I' m not good with wording, but in person I could give a much better explanation.

So quick example if you upgrade exhaust side and leave intake side stock...I mean in essense you have air flowing much better on exhaust right but if more air is not being flowed in the intake side what good was that exhaust mod right?

I also see what you mean by heads/cams will require better filter for flow...but with that being side it could be applied for CAI or SRI because if you essentially just do a CAI and nothing else, the gains will be too minimal to feel and only thing you are getting is sound to your ears to fool you that you have gained some power.....

You can't tell me that a stock paper filter with resonator and boxed up is going to flow better air then say a SRI with for example take my set-up AEM dryfilter with a blocked off box to help keep heat away and a ram tube running down by fender in getting air from behind foglight trim/vent area?

Only time I could see the SRI being a real super bad issue is if you have been sitting in traffic and engine is burning hot and then you go to track or run someone at a redlight or go dyno it from being there sitting, then yes I could see SRI having some issues there, but for most part SRI should do the job over stock system....But it will never be better than CAI and this I agree 100%.......I live in Boston and if I am lucky I get 2months where it is really stupid hot and the rest of months it is kool and don't see SRI being a problem in my case...Again I will speak for myself as I have not had issues with my SRI set-up, cannot speak for say someone living in 100degree weather and always stuck in traffic. But at the point though really how effect is a CAI when it is sucking hot air from that steaming asphalt!

Again not really saying you are wrong or I am right, but from previous experiences and certain vehicles I don't see power lost over stock unit unless someone is placing the damn filter right up to throttlebody.

But for Novices sake and for people new to modding cars I will say CAI is better then SRI(that is a given) and will play nice and say SRI is a big no-no as our cars are known to have bad heat-soaking issues

Hows that IHC fair enough?
If a SRI places the filter right by the inner fender opening, that's nearly an ideal spot. When I think of SRI, I think of a filter clamped onto the TB lol. I prefer to keep the filter in the engine bay anyway and if it has access to cool outside air, you've done everything you can do.

I'm not one of those people that believe the filter has to be located down low or anything like that. It makes no difference. All it has to do is have access to outside air and you're golden.

I have to ask though, was Rodney's dyno with the hood up or down?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

^ Okay so I guess we were both talking about same thing, and yes I can see how SRI could be mistaken for basically a small 1-2" pipe and then filter or as you said filter to TB lol...in this case then yes 1000% a big NO-NO because at this point it is just wait to close to the engine and not getting outside air from nowhere.

And I would assume it was hood up, as most dyno's I have seen are done hood up unless a certain test was done as something like this to resemble street feel.

Yes I know how that plays a bigpart in how much cooler things are with hood up and big blower fan blowing to engine bay...but given it was done both ways the same and hood up for stock and SRI i would say I would affect both same way. Well maybe not as the fan blowing cool air with a SRI and performance filter flowing better then Paper boxed in filter I can see how SRI in this scenario has the advantage