The same ole exhaust questions ...with a new twist

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
The same ole exhaust questions ...with a new twist

I'm thinking/hoping this is a thread that helps quite a few. I've had my 07 Type-S 6-spd about 9 months now & absolutely love the car. I'm a car guy but am not mech savvy like a lot of you are. Change my own oil & that's about the end of it.

I know you guys that've been on here forever tire of the newbs posting new threads every week; "How do I get a deeper exhaust tone,...don't want hiway drone, ...hate raspiness, ...yadda."

Could someone post --I guess what we be the written equivalent of-- a schematic of the exhaust system? To a nonmech like me there's a lot of recurring terminology in the exhaust threads here; resonators, pre-cats, cat, 3rd cat, j-pipe, mid-muffler, etc. Would someone who knows lay out the sequential path that exhaust gases take from cylinder-to-tailpipes? And then, if you're really feeling charitable, a sequential of the typical modification path?

& I get that there's truly no such thing as "typical", but a week or so ago someone recommended I start with the mid-muffler delete & see how I like the sound. Which I will. Then, if that doesn't get me there, what would "typically" or maybe "logically" would be better, be the next step in seeking superior sound and power output.

Hope this makes sense. I don't want to go out and get a complete cat-back with new quad tips and everything, drop $1,650 or whatever, only to find out the car sounds like a 17 year old's riced 02 Civic. Also hope this isn't asking too much.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Exhaust manifold --> precats (front and rear) --> j-pipe --> catalytic converter --> long pipe (w/resonator) --> mid muffler --> "Y" --> mufflers --> tips (lol)

See attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Exhaust.pdf (577.6 KB, 551 views)

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 09-21-2015 at 11:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
quanaman (09-25-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MonkeyTrucker
Exhaust manifold --> precats --> j-pipe --> catalytic converter --> long pipe --> mid muffler --> "Y" --> mufflers --> tips (lol)
I've seen lots of "3rd cat." You only list two. Or are you counting precats as two, & therefore the cat is 3rd?

Try not to lol at me, brother. I'm learning.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by DerrickW
I've seen lots of "3rd cat." You only list two. Or are you counting precats as two, & therefore the cat is 3rd?

Try not to lol at me, brother. I'm learning.
There's only one true catalytic converter.

Nothing wrong with learning. One of my favorite mantras is a day something new is learned, it was a great day.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 09-21-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Where does resonator(s) fit into this chain?
Old 09-21-2015, 11:55 PM
Life Connoisseur

Where does resonator(s) fit into this chain?
Before mid muffler and after "third cat"

I edited my first response and included an attachment of the diagrams from the factory service manual.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 09-21-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Sweet. This really helps. So in this diagram 'exhaust pipe A' = J-pipe, 'exhaust pipe B' = y-pipe? This helps a visual learner like me. Care to pontificate or wax poetic on the second part of my inquiry??
Old 09-22-2015, 12:08 AM
Life Connoisseur

Sweet. This really helps. So in this diagram 'exhaust pipe A' = J-pipe, 'exhaust pipe B' = y-pipe? This helps a visual learner like me. Care to pontificate or wax poetic on the second part of my inquiry??
Yes, "A" is the j-pipe, because it looks like the letter "J" from an overhead or underneath view. "B" goes flange (triangle bolting area), resonator, mid muffler, then the "Y"

I've got a cold air intake as 1st mod and then high flow precats and aftermarket j-pipe that "deleted" the "third cat" as my second mod in relation to intake / exhaust mods.

I've not touched anything in the "B" portion of the diagram's exhaust pipe.

Sounds nice when wide open throttle, no rasp or drone.

My opinion, go performance then sound or looks

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 09-22-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 315 Posts
We removed the mid muffler on the type-s and it sounded much better. we later installed a magnaflow resonator in place of the stock resonator, to me me it was a waste of money could barely tell the difference, then we removed the 3rd cat and that made it sound really good not to raspy just a nice growl and non of it made any difference in power that you could feel, just for sound only
EvilVirus (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by UTAH TSX
We removed the mid muffler on the type-s and it sounded much better. we later installed a magnaflow resonator in place of the stock resonator, to me me it was a waste of money could barely tell the difference, then we removed the 3rd cat and that made it sound really good not to raspy just a nice growl and non of it made any difference in power that you could feel, just for sound only
This is the real world advice I was looking for. Thanks. I think I'll follow this path - and then do j-pipe aftermarket upgrade early next year maybe
Old 09-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Exhaust manifold --> precats (front and rear) --> j-pipe --> catalytic converter --> long pipe (w/resonator) --> mid muffler --> "Y" --> mufflers --> tips (lol)

See attached
Hey MT, which is the 'mid muffler' in the .pdf diagram you've posted? Is it the big beast of a bulb immediately before the section labeled "EXHAUST PIPE B" ?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:58 PM
Life Connoisseur

Hey MT, which is the 'mid muffler' in the .pdf diagram you've posted? Is it the big beast of a bulb immediately before the section labeled "EXHAUST PIPE B" ?
It's the square muffler just before the "Y" on the "B" pipe. The longer rectangle shaped one in the diagram is the resonator.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Please forgive a newb for such on-going questions. Nothing is really "square" in the diagram. I'm assuming (& we all know what happens when we do that) its the first chunk 'upwind' of the Y ...in the diagram the arrow originating at "EXHAUST PIPE B" and pointing to the y-pipe is only about a 1/4 inch or so away from it. Am I reading you right? I'm making an appointment to have it removed and don't want to fubar this.

thank you, brother
Old 09-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Please forgive a newb for such on-going questions. Nothing is really "square" in the diagram. I'm assuming (& we all know what happens when we do that) its the first chunk 'upwind' of the Y ...in the diagram the arrow originating at "EXHAUST PIPE B" and pointing to the y-pipe is only about a 1/4 inch or so away from it. Am I reading you right? I'm making an appointment to have it removed and don't want to fubar this.

thank you, brother

DerrickW (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Final question on this one, I promise. (b/c I'm going into the shop tomorrow!) The '3rd cat' would be which in the same diagram?
Old 09-25-2015, 12:46 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,012 Likes on 14,516 Posts
not pictured, it's bolted to the oem jpipe.

if you have the cash...snag a real exhaust. You'll chase this over the rainbow but you'll hack up your stock exhaust, then you'll try and jpipe, then the high flow cats...and you'll likely realize that NOW it does sound like a civic with a cheap exhaust and be forced into reverting (we never do) or an aftermarket exhaust.

If you don't have the cash...do jpipe first...that replaces the 3rd cat in most cases with a straight pipe...then high flow cats...leaving the exhaust un butchered and intact...then you can hack away and make it as loud as you want. That's how I'd do this all over again if I were revisiting.

Decent example of RV6 and ATLP in one video, not type S openings, obviously. Exhaust upgrade is for sound, looks and a wee bit of performance in my opinion. Aside from driver feel...it is the biggest thing you'll appreciate when actually behind the wheel if you're a true driving enthusiast.

Good luck, and welcome!

DerrickW (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 12:48 AM

then again, I have some good friends that do the "stage 3" as it's called...and do resonator swap to the long magnaflow and remove that mid muffler. I still have mine hacked up in the attic...and the rest of the exhaust too
Old 09-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by rockstar143
if you have the cash...snag a real exhaust. You'll chase this over the rainbow but you'll hack up your stock exhaust, then you'll try and jpipe, then the high flow cats...and you'll likely realize that NOW it does sound like a civic with a cheap exhaust and be forced into reverting (we never do) or an aftermarket exhaust.

If you don't have the cash...do jpipe first...that replaces the 3rd cat in most cases with a straight pipe...then high flow cats...leaving the exhaust un butchered and intact...then you can hack away and make it as loud as you want. That's how I'd do this all over again if I were revisiting.
Same advice I tried giving him in post #8. Do a performance mod that adds sound as an added benefit .

"Deleting" stuff just for sound is ridiculous imo, and will complicate "noise" when adding performance later. Maybe he'll heed your advice.

...not a single thanks

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 09-25-2015 at 12:24 PM.
rockstar143 (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 12:30 PM

The funny thing was, in my semi delirium last night I kept thinking, Monkey Trucker really took the time to give solid advice and give diagrams and he got zero thanks. Not that that's what we're here for, but I thought maybe you took his sister out and never called her back!

Yeah, I agree...now that I've done it and fucked it all up...I'd go back and do primary and rear cat to high flow...would have only set me back $125 on the used set I bought...maybe it would have sounded great already. Maybe the True Duals down the line.
MonkeyTrucker (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I have a 6spd base with v3 HFPCs, v3 jpipe, and had my mid muffler removed.

I think it sounds great. No drone. Really it's quiet unless I'm on it. Once you're on it, it's sounds like a pissed off beast. Right around VTEC there is a sound that is close to rasp but I wouldn't even call it that. I'm happy with it.

If you want that low grumble all the time get an aftermarket exhaust. If you want to just change the tone a little...remove the mid muffler.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Same advice I tried giving him in post #8. Do a performance mod that adds sound as an added benefit .

"Deleting" stuff just for sound is ridiculous imo, and will complicate "noise" when adding performance later. Maybe he'll heed your advice.

...not a single thanks
Wow. PLEASE accept both my apology and (belated) thanks. You, sir, have been a fantastic wellspring of information. Just trying to keep about 15 of life's plates spinning right now (none of which are my TL), got busy and lost my manners.

As you've seen, I did delete the mid-muffler just for sound - and am glad I did it. In full stock trim the car was just too damn weak sounding. Getting a nicer exhaust note for $50 was a no-brainer to me. I'm not going to heavily mod this car. J-pipe to free up some useful ponies and then that's probably it. From what I've read going to an aftermarket j-pipe + mid-muffler delete should get me an add'l 10-20 horse, produce a very nice tone and not lead me someplace where I just have to go backwards & start re-redoing things b/c the sound has gotten out of hand. At least that's what I'm hoping