RV6 V3 PCD Installed (Before and After Videos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
6 Speed

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
RV6 V3 PCD Installed (Before and After Videos)

Just put my V3 PCD on the other day. Here are 2 videos. One before I put it on, and one after. The rasp is insane, but I'll deal with it for the gains. CEL is on. Tried to pull codes with a scanner, but weren't showing up for some reason. When I get a chance I'll go back to my friend's shop and check/clear them.

Before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtahfMDUblI

After:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DAVOYV8nYo

My TL is getting more fun to mod, but it still feels nothing like my hatch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru9izRjSOBM
Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Get a Magnaflow resonator quick.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
super raspy..but worth the gains I guess...

you from old bridge?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
good god...what do you have done to your car anyway?

I just installed mine and it sounds nothing like that...I could not deal with that rasp. like richie said, get a magnaflow asap. i'm getting one and my setup is nowhere near that raspy. gains are extreme tho! I love em n i'm sure you do a well.

I'll post a vid as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know what's funny, I just noticed you have the stage 4 stock exhaust(title to one of your vid.). Just like I once did.

I had the same set up, but instead of the pcd's, I had the V3Jpipe. I had really terrible rasp, something I just learned to live with...until recently when I go my ATLP exhaust. The rasp is now practically gone.

I am under a strong impression the resonator we add to get to stage 4(dynomax) is culprit to the amount of rasp you are getting. I think it seems to exaggerate the rasp or make it louder somehow.

Now don't get me wrong, my rasp isn't completely gone now that I have the ATLP, but on a scale from one to ten I'd say I went from an 8 with some really bad rasp, down to maybe a 1 or a 2 with very little rasp.

Hope that helps you some...
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car sounds like a beast!! I've been wanting these for the longest but probably wont due to the rasp. How is the smell? I heard its really not that bad.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 PM
6 Speed

Honestly to me I don't mind the rasp that much. It does get annoying sometimes when I get on it, but I'm just waiting till after I get my cat back to see what I want the final sound to be like. I have the V3 J-Pipe with the V3 PCD and cut out the mid muffler + resonator and replaced it with a straight pipe.

Any idea on how to get the check engine light to go away? I tried doing a battery reset, but it's still on.

And to Slooo97CL, I am from Old Bridge haha. You from around here?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsnickk
Honestly to me I don't mind the rasp that much. It does get annoying sometimes when I get on it, but I'm just waiting till after I get my cat back to see what I want the final sound to be like. I have the V3 J-Pipe with the V3 PCD and cut out the mid muffler + resonator and replaced it with a straight pipe.

Any idea on how to get the check engine light to go away? I tried doing a battery reset, but it's still on.

probably need to hook it up to a scanner and reset it.

Yeah man I live in OB, I was doing my videos about a mile away from you, with my black tl. lol

If you wanted to hear the RV6 exhaust setup, with the aem v2, and rv6 jpipe let me know
Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 PM
BANNED

I didn't get a CEL when I installed mine.

make sure your defoulers are aimed properly.
is it possible your o2 sensors were damaged during install? they are fragile.
harness' plugged back in?
all bolts tightened down to proper torque specs?
any leaks anywhere?

if installed correctly, you should not throw a code. so something had to have happened during install. who did the install?

these are designed so that you won't have this issue.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM
6 Speed

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
I didn't get a CEL when I installed mine.

make sure your defoulers are aimed properly.
is it possible your o2 sensors were damaged during install? they are fragile.
harness' plugged back in?
all bolts tightened down to proper torque specs?
any leaks anywhere?

if installed correctly, you should not throw a code. so something had to have happened during install. who did the install?

these are designed so that you won't have this issue.
]

How are the defoulers supposed to be aimed? I think my front one is aimed down and the rear is aimed up. My friend has his own shop so whenever I get a chance I'll go back there and readjust them. Hopefully my o2 sensors didn't get messed up.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 PM
BANNED

the front one, if you're standing in front of the engine looking down at it, should be angled almost straight up, not totally vertical...but more like the top is staring right at you...around 10 o'clock.

the rear one should be pointed straight up.

i'm not saying this is what your issue is, but it's a possibility. check all the other stuff I said too. a exhaust leak can cause a CEL too.

if you need to, check out my thread in the photos section to see pics on how I installed mine.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good grief! I wouldn't have been able to stand that kind of rasp on my old Civic much less a TL. Anyone got the V3 PCD's and J-pipe with a stock exhaust? I'd love to see some more power and fuel economy but there's no way I'm gonna let my car sound like that.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts

Does it come on right away? If it does you probably have a damaged sensor.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by dred87
You know what's funny, I just noticed you have the stage 4 stock exhaust(title to one of your vid.). Just like I once did.

I had the same set up, but instead of the pcd's, I had the V3Jpipe. I had really terrible rasp, something I just learned to live with...until recently when I go my ATLP exhaust. The rasp is now practically gone.

I am under a strong impression the resonator we add to get to stage 4(dynomax) is culprit to the amount of rasp you are getting. I think it seems to exaggerate the rasp or make it louder somehow.

Now don't get me wrong, my rasp isn't completely gone now that I have the ATLP, but on a scale from one to ten I'd say I went from an 8 with some really bad rasp, down to maybe a 1 or a 2 with very little rasp.

Hope that helps you some...
Stage 4 is having no resonator or mid muffler. If you had the Dynomax resonator, then you had Stage 3.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
that is nasty, and I mean that in a bad bad way. Gross actually. I would kick my own ass if I made my car sound like that
Old 03-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Stage 4 is your problem.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts

I am a town over. I noticed that road, 516?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
sounds terrible.... that stage 4 sounds like a damn fart can

hatchie isnt bad tho
Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
All these stages make me laugh
Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 AM
6 Speed

Originally Posted by AckTL05
I am a town over. I noticed that road, 516?
It's actually 34. 516 is real close though. I'm going to wait until I pick up my Comptech cat back before I decide if I want to put a resonator in or not.

Has anyone noticed a crazy whooshing noise after the PCDs? It starts around 3k rpms. Not sure if it's a leak or that's just how they sound.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm sorry, but that sounds like . I would've left everything stock until you get the catback to go along with the PCDs, and the Jpipe.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:08 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
It's actually 34. 516 is real close though. I'm going to wait until I pick up my Comptech cat back before I decide if I want to put a resonator in or not.

Has anyone noticed a crazy whooshing noise after the PCDs? It starts around 3k rpms. Not sure if it's a leak or that's just how they sound.
Oh no, it has that same noise with the V3 even with the thicker metal? Ugh. Oh well, it's normal. Don't worry about it.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
sounds like a civic.
I liked how you turned into traffic when that car was close to you in the second video.....( hopefully he was slowing down )
Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
BANNED

lol...people...don't let these videos deter you from buying this.

mine sounds absolutely nothing like that. his only sounds this way bc of his "stage3" exhaust or whatever you call it.

if you have a proper setup, it will not sound like that.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by flyromeo3
sounds like a civic.
I liked how you turned into traffic when that car was close to you in the second video.....( hopefully he was slowing down )
I think that car was turning left that's why it slowed down. He didn't cut him off.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
I think that car was turning left that's why it slowed down. He didn't cut him off.

thank gawd.. I know Jersey drivers are bad but I didnt want to believe a fellow member would do such a thing....
Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM
6 Speed

Yeah, in the 2nd video the car approaching was turning so I went.

It is true that the reason my car sounds like this is because of the mid muffler and resonator delete. Those 2 parts would help quiet it down a lot.

I also understand that most members here do not like the way my car sounds because it is too ricey/raspy/loud/obnoxious but I feel that the TL appeals to a wide crowd. Some like to make theirs look nice without any performance mods and some like to go all out like the TL diet. I've always liked loud cars and just by getting a "luxury" TL isn't going to stop me from modding it the way I like. Even when I buy my Comptech Cat Back I'll be cutting the mid muffler/resonator out of that as well. Point is, I made this video to show you guys how it would sound with the J-Pipe + PCD + Stage 4 exhaust. If you like it cool, if you don't like it that's also cool. Don't want anyone to mod their car and then be like oh shit I didn't think it was going to sound like that.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
^good lookin out!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll be getting the PCDs also and so far my only exhaust mods are a Magnaflow resonator in place of the stocker and the XLR8 Jpipe. I'll try to take a video once they eventually get on.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:54 PM
All motor

Yeah, in the 2nd video the car approaching was turning so I went.

It is true that the reason my car sounds like this is because of the mid muffler and resonator delete. Those 2 parts would help quiet it down a lot.

I also understand that most members here do not like the way my car sounds because it is too ricey/raspy/loud/obnoxious but I feel that the TL appeals to a wide crowd. Some like to make theirs look nice without any performance mods and some like to go all out like the TL diet. I've always liked loud cars and just by getting a "luxury" TL isn't going to stop me from modding it the way I like. Even when I buy my Comptech Cat Back I'll be cutting the mid muffler/resonator out of that as well. Point is, I made this video to show you guys how it would sound with the J-Pipe + PCD + Stage 4 exhaust. If you like it cool, if you don't like it that's also cool. Don't want anyone to mod their car and then be like oh shit I didn't think it was going to sound like that.
Why bother spending $$ on the Comptech if you're just gonna cut out the resonator? The Comptech sounds sooooo good. The piping isn't even much bigger than stock at all to be honest, so you won't be getting much of a performance gain at all. If you want a loud exhaust just go custom and get 2 Magnaflow mufflers for 1/2 the price. Spending $1K on the Comptech and cutting out the reso doesn't make much sense to me.

That's like spending $5Gs on a girlfriends implants from a C to a D, then taking them out. They look soooo good, but they're already big enough, so why waste the $$?

Last edited by Sonnick; 03-31-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
TimmieT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
hows the drone on the stage 4? must be crazy
Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That might be the raspiest TL I've ever heard lol. If you like it cool, but I hope when I do PCD's it's not so raspy. I'll have rv6 V3 jpipe and stage 3 exhaust when I do it (unless I find a deal on greddy or ATLP quads before summertime).
Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Richie v6
Get a Magnaflow resonator quick.
This!

Not for me but if you like it....
Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Former Sponsor

I am local so if you wanted me to check it out to see if its normal or not let me know.

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
thank gawd.. I know Jersey drivers are bad but I didnt want to believe a fellow member would do such a thing....
False statement.

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Why bother spending $$ on the Comptech if you're just gonna cut out the resonator? The Comptech sounds sooooo good. The piping isn't even much bigger than stock at all to be honest, so you won't be getting much of a performance gain at all. If you want a loud exhaust just go custom and get 2 Magnaflow mufflers for 1/2 the price. Spending $1K on the Comptech and cutting out the reso doesn't make much sense to me.

That's like spending $5Gs on a girlfriends implants from a C to a D, then taking them out. They look soooo good, but they're already big enough, so why waste the $$?
+1. Comptech with PCD's sounds soooooo nice. Comptech doesn't have a resonator, it has a third mini muffler in the middle. (Say that 10 times fast).
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 PM
6 Speed

I won't be getting the Comptech new. I'm picking up a used one and I'll throw it on to see how it sounds at first. If I don't like the sound of it at that point I'll decide whether to cut out the mid muffler. If I were to buy it brand new I'd probably not cut it up, but since I'm not going to be paying too much I don't mind if I have to.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
While I was watching the "Before" vid, I was thinking...... is this the "Before" or "After"

If it sounds like this before, then the After is going to be

But when I then watched the "After" vid, the PCD didn't make it that much louder than it was before.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 AM
All motor

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
While I was watching the "Before" vid, I was thinking...... is this the "Before" or "After"

But when I then watched the "After" vid, the PCD didn't make it that much louder than it was before.
I noticed the same thing. I watched the "Before" and was like huh? This sounds raspy as is! But I definitely noticed a difference after the PCDs as well.

Nick: Rest assured it's still gonna be loud with the Comptech. Don't be thinking it's gonna be all quiet now. It's not easy to be quiet with the PCDs...
Old 04-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
That sounds like my girlfriends tiburon with no muffler and no cat.

You need some new mufflers. Yours are blown
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
6 Speed

Before the PCDs the rasp was most noticeable at 3-4k rpms. After the PCDs around 3k+ rpms it has a crazy whooshing rasping jet sound and does it all the way to redline. I'm trying to pick up the Comptech Cat Back and a set of Type 1 coilovers and hit the track again. Maybe a set of XLR8 mounts too if I have extra money to spend.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Inaccurate

I don't know why, but I hear a huge difference. Its more constant, not so much louder.

Quick Reply: RV6 V3 PCD Installed (Before and After Videos)