RV6 V3 Long tube J-pipe Preorder/Black Friday sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:40 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
^if youre worried why don't you just get the inspection now and get the j pipe installed after
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
gots my tracking number!!! Suppose to be here tomorrow if Fedex is right haha.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just ordered mine
Old 11-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy07KBP
gots my tracking number!!! Suppose to be here tomorrow if Fedex is right haha.

+1....Got mine too!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Got my v3 today. It sat in the garage for about three hours before I couldn't wait to install it any longer. Fits great. One note for all of the diyers out there. Make sure you have a 14mm thinwall deep socket on hand it'll make one particular nut much easier.

I did get the car out but it was late and the cops were everywhere, so I couldn't open her up.

Thanks Ritchie. Very nice piece of hardware you made here. Can't wait for batch 2 of the exhausts!
The following users liked this post:
1uncleanTL-S (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Instructor

god damnit. I was suppose to get mine yesterday, but nobody was there to sign for it fedex should leave it today though!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
can't wait till mine comes, estimate delivery tmrw.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Team Owner

My J-pipe arrived yesterday, as promised. Swoosh and I are installing it tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, first post. i feel like a total noob. I'm from and i know that car and site inside and out, but i sold the rsx last year and i bought a tl this week. 06 dynamic, so excited to be back in the game. But i'm lost in all this new talk and new parts. Can someone give me a super fast update of the exhaust on the tl. I'll search the crap out of this forum once i understand once to look for.

Rsx was, (looking to go full system on the TL) intake, then single header, mid pipe, then axle back. whats the order for the tl? And all this j-pipe talk...............i had full comptech on the rsx with aem v2, hondata kpro, full t1r coilovers and i was an inch away from supercharging. Similar plans for the TL, but i plan to keep this car for a long long time compared to the rsx.

Thanks guys.

Jay!

i'm from and i know*****

damn it, it doesn't allow me to say the previous forum i was on. it was the club that was dedicated to rsx's.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-04-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Got mine. Will go on tonight or tomorrow ha. As for order we have precats-j pipe - third cat - exhaust. This new j pipe on this thread deletes the third cat though. Hope this helps. And welcome to the forum.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey thanks Andy. Yes I'll start to get familiar with the car as soon as I start getting under her a bit. Thanks for the info. Yea I had the cat delete on the rsx as well. Do the tl's pass emissions with a 3rd cat delete, since there are 2 others or does it need all 3. RSX-S would have failed badly. It only had 1 cat lol.

I'm excited. TL sounds much nicer then the rsx with a full system. Sounds throaty and mean, not ricer like most rsx's, although my full comptech system sounded very clean for a not cat rsx.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Instructor

depends on your state i believe but i am in NJ and it is suppose to haha. the third cat delete i know doesn't throw a check engine light though so you should pass unless they do a visual inspection.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im sorry about my inexperience in exhausts but i recently got a 08 tl type s and was wondering what i needed to upgrade to this. Is the Jpipe all? do i need the precat delete? Dual exhaust? If i could get some pros and cons id be extremely greatful. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Instructor

I am attempting to install this right now but I have a question, do you need a breaker bar to break the nuts loose from the precats? I sprayed them with pb blaster but they are but budging with my regular socket wrench. I wanted to double check before I pull out the breaker bar as I am already missing a bolt/ nut on the front precat...

Thanks.

Originally Posted by chefman777
im sorry about my inexperience in exhausts but i recently got a 08 tl type s and was wondering what i needed to upgrade to this. Is the Jpipe all? do i need the precat delete? Dual exhaust? If i could get some pros and cons id be extremely greatful. Thanks.

This is all you need... it replaces the J pipe and the 3rd cat. no other mods necessary to make this fit.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-04-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:05 PM
2nd Gear

What are the pros and cons of installing the J pipe and PCD? i also want to keep the quad exhaust look
Old 12-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
I am attempting to install this right now but I have a question, do you need a breaker bar to break the nuts loose from the precats? I sprayed them with pb blaster but they are but budging with my regular socket wrench. I wanted to double check before I pull out the breaker bar as I am already missing a bolt/ nut on the front precat...

Thanks.
I use a breaker bar with a 6 point deep 14mm socket. I usually avoid air tools since things can get out of hand in a hurry. If the socket starts slipping with the 14mm try hammering a 13mm socket on to the nut.

Originally Posted by J.TL
Hey guys, first post. i feel like a total noob. I'm from and i know that car and site inside and out, but i sold the rsx last year and i bought a tl this week. 06 dynamic, so excited to be back in the game. But i'm lost in all this new talk and new parts. Can someone give me a super fast update of the exhaust on the tl. I'll search the crap out of this forum once i understand once to look for.

Rsx was, (looking to go full system on the TL) intake, then single header, mid pipe, then axle back. whats the order for the tl? And all this j-pipe talk...............i had full comptech on the rsx with aem v2, hondata kpro, full t1r coilovers and i was an inch away from supercharging. Similar plans for the TL, but i plan to keep this car for a long long time compared to the rsx.

Thanks guys.

Jay!

I am working on a Q/A page. I just realized I spend hours a week answering the same questions, on PM, emails and the phone.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Thanks Richie! I am actually gonna bring my car in to the dealership tomorrow to have them put in a new bolt since I am under warranty and they should take care of it. I am worried about an exhaust leak. Should be putting this on late this week or weekend.

What are the pros and cons of installing the J pipe and PCD? i also want to keep the quad exhaust look
Pros of j pipe more HP gets ridnof third cat slightly better sound no mods needed

Pros of pcd more HPmore sound

Cons of j pipe might not pass visual emissions inspection but does not set off cel. Honestly I would say no cons though

Cons of pcd will not pass emissions, the smell and rasp

That's all I can think of

You can keep stock quad exhaust with both

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-05-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Here is a quick RV6 crash course, this is rough draft that will eventually be added to the webpage. You can get more details on the rv6 website www.rv6-p.com

The order of exhaust components.
Heads (engine) > precats > Jpipe > 3rd cat > exhaust

Jpipe+3rd cat delete

The RV6 V3 jpipe is our latest design and has the best gains due to its 2.25" long runner design. It replaces both the factory jpipe and 3rd cat in one piece. No check engine lights are triggered since there are no sensors on the 3rd cat. It is recommended that you get the jpipe before PCDs or HFPCs.

Pros:
Good mid and high range gains
Replaces factory jpipe and 3rd cat in open piece
Bolts up no modifications needed
No obvious place for a 3rd cat.

Cons:

May not pass visual inspection in some states.

Precats
There are current 2 RV6 options for a precat replacement. These options are effective because Honda used a very restrictive precat design. They are made with stamped sheet metal to reduce cost and have a small 1.75" out.
Precat deletes or PCDs replace the factory precats with a straight pipe using smooth flowing castings a 2.25” outlet. Precat deletes include special adapters for the O2 sensors and do not throw a check engine light.

Pros:
Maximum performance gains
Low cost compared HFPCs

Cons:
Raspy exhaust
Exhaust smell
May not pass visual inspection
Requires an extra resonator for rasp free operation

High flow precats or HFPCs replaces the factory precats with high flow catalytic converters. They offer the best of compromise between performance and daily drivability. They are also paired with our smooth flowing castings 2.25” castings.

Pros:
No rasp
No exhaust smell
May pass visual inspection

Cons:
More expensive then PCDs
Slightly less power gains compared to PCDs
The following 3 users liked this post by Richie v6:
chefman777 (12-04-2011), IIDXholic (12-07-2011), VicTL06 (12-20-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Team Owner

Done and Done....thanks to Swoosh!

Anil came over this afternoon and we installed the new J-pipe. We were desperately running out of available sunlight, so I was not able to take any pictures. Richie's J-pipe installed without any problems or issues. The old nuts on the OEM J-pipe were difficult to remove due to rust, but we got it done.

The new j-pipe looks good, sounds good. Many, many thanks to Swoosh.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rv6v3 long tube j pipe

hi there! my name is arnel got an order with this pipe hopefully got my payment thru money order thank you so much...
Old 12-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks.
I am not sure I would use a breaker bar to try to budge these nuts loose. If rust is the problem any more torque you put on nuts that won't budge may compound the problem by messing up the threads on the studs on the precats. If your favorite penetrating lubricant isn't working, you may want to try air tools. My 1/2" impact driver on it's lowest setting took every nut off in a matter of seconds, AFTER I broke them loose with my 3/8" drive ratchet. Also, I had soaked the bolts in Kroil hours before I attempted to remove them.

A much safer method would be to measure the threads on the studs and go purchase a die that matched so you could essentially cut the rust off of the majority of the stud before trying to loosen them.

Additionally, try to find some Kroil in the spray can. It absolutely is the best penetrating oil out there.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

Guys, I was finally able to get my Type S out today and see how well the J-pipe works. You've definitely got some mid and upper end power. It actually seems like the Type S glides smoother too.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Getting Hosed
I am not sure I would use a breaker bar to try to budge these nuts loose. If rust is the problem any more torque you put on nuts that won't budge may compound the problem by messing up the threads on the studs on the precats. If your favorite penetrating lubricant isn't working, you may want to try air tools. My 1/2" impact driver on it's lowest setting took every nut off in a matter of seconds, AFTER I broke them loose with my 3/8" drive ratchet. Also, I had soaked the bolts in Kroil hours before I attempted to remove them.

A much safer method would be to measure the threads on the studs and go purchase a die that matched so you could essentially cut the rust off of the majority of the stud before trying to loosen them.

Additionally, try to find some Kroil in the spray can. It absolutely is the best penetrating oil out there.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the tips but rust is not my issue ha. The bolts are all clean and seem fine and my car only has 50,000 miles on it, I sprayed the PB blaster which always worked before but will try spraying it for a couple hours next time if its still not budging. I just got back from the dealer (I was missing a bolt on the front precats and didn't want to cause an exhaust leak) so I will attempt this again this weekend most likely.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ordered mine yesterday and fedex says it will be in tomorrow! Gotta say Im impressed with how fast it was shipped! Cant wait to get it installed
Old 12-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
This is really great information. I'm new to the TL, so comming from an I-4 all this stuff is in another language. I want to upgrade the performance, but retain the "stock" look of the car. Eventually going to get the J pipe and HFPC
Old 12-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
is the thanksgiving sale still available?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
I love Lamp...

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I received mine last week and damn does it look nice! I have been fabricating manifolds and tubing for my turbo cars as a hobby for many years and these pieces are top notch! The inner welds from the flanges to the tubing are hand ground smooth. There was not a fingerprint on the entire piece and it even looks like the flanges, along with being extra thick so they will never warp, are decked flat after fabrication.

I will be installing mine this week and I am actually excited to put this piece on my car. So often I never buy aftermarket parts because I would rather make it myself and be done with it but as time goes on, not all of have the time or patience for that anymore.

2 thumps up for Richie!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my jpipe in about a week ago and installed it over the weekend. Man, what a difference. After installation, I reset the ECU to get a clean reset. The car is soo smooth while accelerating and feels like its gliding. Not sure of the HP gains on a standard, but sure does feel and sound better. Seems to be getting a little deeper in sound as I break it in. Awesome product Richie. Will be working on getting that exhaust later. Definitely a great pickup!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Post #98 should be stickied somewhere on this board. Very informative!
The following users liked this post:
JD TL-S (12-21-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What happens if you don't pass a visual inspection, do you have to get the j-pipe replaced?

Why do visual inspections even happen when the focus is on actual emission from the car itself...? I live in CA so I'm pretty sure they are anal about everything. Help!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 PM
N0w $hiftinG N/A

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
is there going to be any xmas or new years sale richie , Soon in need of a v3 j pipe.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Type II Coupe

Got mine installed the other day, it took longer for the stock j-pipe to cool off than to install the new one. Got it swapped in under 30 minutes after we could touch the stock pipe. Best bang for the buck so far!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I love Lamp...

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Just put mine on and wow, what a difference in sound. Have not gotten a chance to really flog it and see how it feel performance wise.

Random question, once it builds up a bit of carbon in the pipes, will it get a little quieter or louder? I would think quieter because the carbon would somewhat dampen exhaust pulse 'echos' or whatever the terminology is.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by bmccord
once it builds up a bit of carbon in the pipes, will it get a little quieter or louder? .
People normally report a new exhaust becoming more quiet after a few days.

I am a big believer in that a person will "break-in" and not the exhaust itself. That is, the person quickly becomes accustomed to the new sound level and thus perceives the exhaust becoming more quiet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Inaccurate:
bmccord (12-27-2011), JD TL-S (12-26-2011)
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
This sale happening again this year?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
This is something i would be interested in if there is a sale.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DarkNite
This sale happening again this year?
Originally Posted by fc_v8
This is something i would be interested in if there is a sale.
Years go by so fast.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7#post14169097