Replacing Rotors/Pads FRONT & REAR

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Rotors/Pads FRONT & REAR

Hello everyone, my first post hoping this is the right place for this question. I have searched on the forums and seen some good ideas on different brake setup's but I am not sure I want to change out my caliper's yet.

I have a 2004 TL Base and would like some performance (slotted/slotted&Drilled) rotors and good pads to put back on it that won't require any modification to the car to run. I saw some EBC Black ones that I really liked but I have to be honest here Brembo is the only name I know really and they only do front big brake kits on my car and it is waaay too much money. I don't race on the track or anything so I don't need a setup for that.

I contacted an Acura dealer that is on ebay and he is willing to do 4 new factory rotors and the A-Spec (Red in color) Acura pads for 420 plus shipping, so now I am curious what else is out there that might be better. I wouldn't reject a brake kit as long as it was somewhat reasonable in price, just don't feel the need to replace my factory calipers....

Thanks again for any help that can be provided.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
If don't want to replace the calipers, then perhaps paint them. Some painted calipers look really nice. Some people like the Duralast CMAX ceramic pads for low dust. Great price at Autozone. As far as rotors, there are a few to choose from. I had R1 Concepts rotors on my old TSX and loved them. Others will chime in with other brands and reviews.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the response LoveMyTL-S. Did the R1 Concepts rotors require you to modify anything on the car?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
No, they were a direct fit.......
Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Check Here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/racingbrake-front-rear-up-rotors-packages-deals-inside-344787/ (you need UA6 AT set up)

AND

here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/rotora-slotted-drilled-slotted-rotors-special-cl-tl-tsx-324531/

Both good brands and good vendors.

I have run the Racing Brake on both the '02 and '07 TL-S and couldn't be happier - '02 brakes are nearly identical in design to your AT brakes.

Get the SS brake lines is my advice and DIY the install on everything.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
ROTORA makes high quality OE replacement rotors and pads. I would look into the slotted or drilled/slotted rotors and H2 ceramic pads. The pads are a low dust, low noise pad with good bite. The rotors start out as premium rotors that are coated black on the hub and vanes and then they are machined for the slots and/or holes.

If you need pricing check out our web store at http://store.excelerateperformance.com and use promo code AZ ROTORA for a discount on the rotors.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Excelerate
ROTORA makes high quality OE replacement rotors and pads. I would look into the slotted or drilled/slotted rotors and H2 ceramic pads. The pads are a low dust, low noise pad with good bite. The rotors start out as premium rotors that are coated black on the hub and vanes and then they are machined for the slots and/or holes.

If you need pricing check out our web store at http://store.excelerateperformance.com and use promo code AZ ROTORA for a discount on the rotors.
I attempted to use the discount code and didn't see any type of discount. Is there a limit that must be met? Also, do the Rotora blanks have any coating on the non friction areas? Looking to change out my front rotors and pads on my 06 5AT. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Racer

BTW, I'm looking at going with the Rotora Slotted with H2 pads for the front (TL) and Rotora Blanks or the slotted for my 07 Tahoe.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Cruisin'

I got the rotors in my cart, but can't seem to find the H2 pads, are these Hawk brand and which ones?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sweating_ice
I got the rotors in my cart, but can't seem to find the H2 pads, are these Hawk brand and which ones?
For the 04-08 TL Base A/T the front pads are RP.07870 and the rear pads are RP.05360. They are made by ROTORA.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Cruisin'

Well gang, I have compared enough parts/prices to make me sick of staring at a monitor. I am not made of money so I will not be looking at the most expensive option for my car, but I do want a quality part and braking system.

I have narrowed down between HeelToe and Excelerate

HeelToe:
4 - RacingBrake Ultra Performance Slotted Rotors
Front and Rear Hawk Ceramic pads
Total Price: 505.78 (5% discount code and free shipping)

Excelerate:
4 - Rotora Brake Rotors (Drilled/Slotted)
Front and Rear Rotora Ceramic Pads
Total Price: 604.40 (w/o tax shipping is 69.40)

So based on those two setups which one do you guys think would be the best for me? I don't race, it is a daily driver, but I appreciate performance when it's affordable (lol). I also am hoping to notice a difference over my factory setup now.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:41 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Don't waste your money on hawk pads.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sweating_ice
Well gang, I have compared enough parts/prices to make me sick of staring at a monitor. I am not made of money so I will not be looking at the most expensive option for my car, but I do want a quality part and braking system.

I have narrowed down between HeelToe and Excelerate

HeelToe:
4 - RacingBrake Ultra Performance Slotted Rotors
Front and Rear Hawk Ceramic pads
Total Price: 505.78 (5% discount code and free shipping)

Excelerate:
4 - Rotora Brake Rotors (Drilled/Slotted)
Front and Rear Rotora Ceramic Pads
Total Price: 604.40 (w/o tax shipping is 69.40)

So based on those two setups which one do you guys think would be the best for me? I don't race, it is a daily driver, but I appreciate performance when it's affordable (lol). I also am hoping to notice a difference over my factory setup now.
You would have to really compare slotted to slotted rotors to have a good comparison. The slotted rotors would probably cost you $100 less from ROTORA so the prices would be the same.

Both companies made quality products; ROTORA uses a premium disc and then machines it for the slots or holes or both. The hub and vanes are coated black. The ROTORA H2 ceramic pads are a low dust, low noise pad with good stopping power.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:47 AM
SleeperTL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BBK or Rotors+Pads

Have an 05AT daily driver that sees light track use (3-4 sessions/yr). Trying to decide if I should go with BBK Front and Rear or just Rotors and Pads (must work with stock 17" wheels. Comments/experience appreciated on how much more stopping power can I expect with one over the other. The BBK would be a great look (especially through the RJ Legend 18's) but significant $$$. Looking at Rotoras (S+D) with H2 pads. How well will they hold up in a 4-season environment? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Cruisin'

You would have to really compare slotted to slotted rotors to have a good comparison. The slotted rotors would probably cost you $100 less from ROTORA so the prices would be the same.

Both companies made quality products; ROTORA uses a premium disc and then machines it for the slots or holes or both. The hub and vanes are coated black. The ROTORA H2 ceramic pads are a low dust, low noise pad with good stopping power.
Well you make a good point there regarding this. I will have to re-evaluate, and to be fair there is a lot of people who seem to have negative reviews on HAWK products.