Pulled the trigger on the supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by apnorm
I can't wait to get this installed tomorrow. I'm bringing it down to Josh at Excellerate to do the install. I want to get it on the dyno see how much HP it makes and also to measure the Air/Fuel ratio and then decide from there whether to get it tuned and/or add the meth kit. All this stuff just seem be keep on adding up!!!!
thats what has me hesitating!...LOL
Old 06-16-2009, 03:54 PM
A Black TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did u dyno at 229whp stock? Cuz i see all ur mods, in ur sig.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tihomirbg
I am a patient guy. Please, if you can, get the part numbers for the NGK plugs and a pic would be really appreciated.

Did you have to rill the elbow to secure it?

tihomirbrg.......i couldn't find the NGK plug part#, however, its easy to just call them, and ask them for it.

here's a pic of the nozzle location on my kit.

http://tinypic.com/r/xf12f5/5

Last edited by Opel; 06-16-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
tihomirbrg.......i couldn't find the NGK plug part#, however, its easy to just call them, and ask them for it.

Hey, thanks for that. I see you installed it to the upper elbow. How is that working for you?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

You don't use the supplied intake system. How is the custom CAI? Does it give you more HP or just more noise.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:38 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
04accordcpe. THANK YOU for posting. ive been waiting for your post since you pretty much worked out all the kinks.

on joes car it will be the first time installing the kit on a TL. on other cars its the same general idea but the engine bay is COMPLETELY different.

what nozzle did you use? 175ml/min right? that nozzle is good for 250-350. can you tell me more about the way your controller was setup? whether you set it for boost, or the map sensor and what not
i used the middle one with the kit, i believe it is the 250-350 nozzle.

the controller is set at 2 psi, which is triggered by the vacuum.

Opel mentioned in his earlier post about the denso plugs included in the kit being a problem. Can any of you supercharged guys confirm this? Have you run into problems and had to updgrade the plugs yet? And if so, did you go 2 steps colder or stick with 1 step colder than stock?

Thanks.
weird. i have NEVER had a problem with the denso's and ive been SC'd going on 3 years this summer.

Originally Posted by ihomirbg
was about to ask the same. My understanding is that the plugs that come with the SC are only 1 stage cooler than stock. Opel said that we might need to consider 2 stages cooler than stock which makes sense since there is so much heat generated there.
thats incorrect. the denso's supplied with the CT kit are two steps colder than stock, not one. stock= IK24's, CT kit= IK22's

Originally Posted by ihomirbg
So you have AEM meth kit. Did you say it is 100 meth or the mix 50/50?

It only sprays when you go into V-tec? Some are saying to have minimum going in at around 2 psi and have 100 going in at WOT.
i have mine set at 2 psi and i use the 50/50 mix. havent gone with straight meth yet, but might be worth a shot later down the road.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

the CT supplied mushroom looking airfilter still sits in the engine bay, so of course connecting a CAI to the SC would bring in cooler air.

I may have gotten it wrong but whatever colder step the densos are, they're still my biggest enemy. So goodluck to whoever.

CT is and has been our only option for boost but they still suck, the kit comes with a primitive piggy back, pure intake filter knowing the SC blows out massive amounts of heat, and all they really did for the kit is, a goddamn intake housing and a stupid elbow to the IM. SC is a Magnuson MP62 with extended shaft..... $4500 is way too much for what they give you.

btw....ACCORD....do you have any idea at what PSI the SC maxes out? I know they start loosing efficiency after 16000 rpm, but i dont know what PSI that would be
Old 06-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Correction>>>>>>>> Stock is IK20, not 24, IK22 would be ONE STEP COLDER.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:20 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

the CT supplied mushroom looking airfilter still sits in the engine bay, so of course connecting a CAI to the SC would bring in cooler air.

I may have gotten it wrong but whatever colder step the densos are, they're still my biggest enemy. So goodluck to whoever.

CT is and has been our only option for boost but they still suck, the kit comes with a primitive piggy back, pure intake filter knowing the SC blows out massive amounts of heat, and all they really did for the kit is, a goddamn intake housing and a stupid elbow to the IM. SC is a Magnuson MP62 with extended shaft..... $4500 is way too much for what they give you.

btw....ACCORD....do you have any idea at what PSI the SC maxes out? I know they start loosing efficiency after 16000 rpm, but i dont know what PSI that would be
i couldnt agree with you more. the ACM is the biggest POS!

10PSI would be max IMO.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Correction>>>>>>>> Stock is IK20, not 24, IK22 would be ONE STEP COLDER.
So since stock are IK20 and the kit comes with IK22? Am i missing something?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Or the stock is IK22 and the kit comes with IK20
Old 06-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Did u dyno at 229whp stock? Cuz i see all ur mods, in ur sig.
Unfortunately, that's with the mods! It's tough to judge as each dyno machine is different. My previous dyno was mid to high 230's and that was before I added the exhaust but it was on a different dyno at a different shop. I think they had a dynojet.

In any case, I found a shop closer to my house that I liked and got it dyno'd just so I can see what gains come out of the installing the supercharger. I can't remember the name of the dyno but it was at SD-Concepts...it might be on their website. Getting the install today and hopefully a dyno in a week or so...will keep everybody updated.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, that's with the mods! It's tough to judge as each dyno machine is different. My previous dyno was mid to high 230's and that was before I added the exhaust but it was on a different dyno at a different shop. I think they had a dynojet.

In any case, I found a shop closer to my house that I liked and got it dyno'd just so I can see what gains come out of the installing the supercharger. I can't remember the name of the dyno but it was at SD-Concepts...it might be on their website. Getting the install today and hopefully a dyno in a week or so...will keep everybody updated.
GL with everything. I hope everything goes smooth and please please give us your first impression.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I will.

Hey Josh, If you check this, feel free to provide an update with the install!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Or the stock is IK22 and the kit comes with IK20
tihomirbg:

the SC kit comes with IK22
stock denso plug for the tl is IK20

this is denso's line up:

IK20-(stock tl) IK22, IK24, IK26, IK28 and so forth
Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

tihomirbg:

this is denso's line up:

you are right. i got the #'s backwards.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

tihomirbg:

this is denso's line up:

So the higher the number the colder?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Finally happened! I ended up picking up the car at 9PM. I had mixed feelings at first but the more I play around with the car, the more I like it. It's probably due to not knowing what to expect. The car is most definitely quicker and I'm very happy with it.

During normal driving, you wouldn't know it was supercharged. There's no whine unless you really rev the engine. And if you're in 4th gear at 2k rpm and floor it, there's NOT a sudden rush of acceleration. I haven't played around too much with the car yet but in first gear, it seems like there's too much power...get ready for even more torque steer. I'm thinking for maximum acceleration, you won't need to go full throttle in first gear. I'm still waiting for the opportunity to find an empty stretch of road where I can take VSA off and redline through first and second from a standstill.

Overall very happy with the purchase and big thanks to Josh and his mechanic (sorry - forgot his name already).
Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
what was the final pricetag on all of this?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

The CT SC kit is way overpriced for what you get.... but its been our only option for boost.... you dont get a fuel pump, you dont get injectors, you get crappy spark plugs, you dont get a real piggyback, you get a bad air intake, you dont get enough power to justify the price..the reason to that is, the car has weak pistons and high compression...we can understand that its risky, but that could've been perfected, had they built a better goddamn piggyback....all it needed was a fine tune...but CT lacks that.

and u gotta buy a new battery which is not necessary bcs they could've just made a bigger tray and a bit lower to fit the stock size battery...and then some ppl can't install it themselves so they gotta pay for labor too... and whoever is as unlucky as me, will end up blowing 2 motors on stock boost...and that my friends is LACK OF A PROPER GODDAMN TUNEABLE PIGGYBACK.

they could've at least included a water/meth injection kit....justify that $5000 a bit...cause the offered power, sure as hell doesn't
Old 06-18-2009, 03:11 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
The CT SC kit is way overpriced for what you get.... but its been our only option for boost.... you dont get a fuel pump, you dont get injectors, you get crappy spark plugs, you dont get a real piggyback, you get a bad air intake, you dont get enough power to justify the price..the reason to that is, the car has weak pistons and high compression...we can understand that its risky, but that could've been perfected, had they built a better goddamn piggyback....all it needed was a fine tune...but CT lacks that.

and u gotta buy a new battery which is not necessary bcs they could've just made a bigger tray and a bit lower to fit the stock size battery...and then some ppl can't install it themselves so they gotta pay for labor too... and whoever is as unlucky as me, will end up blowing 2 motors on stock boost...and that my friends is LACK OF A PROPER GODDAMN TUNEABLE PIGGYBACK.

they could've at least included a water/meth injection kit....justify that $5000 a bit...cause the offered power, sure as hell doesn't
Not really sure what you are talking about interms of power. I am making 100+ hp over stock.

The tunning is another deal, I wish more work was done to start with, but that would just make more power. Sound like you must have been pretty hard on the car to go through 2 engines or had some really bad luck.

There are many people who are happy with their blowers, so I would not discourage anyone from going this route.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:24 PM
runnin a little boost

Finally happened! I ended up picking up the car at 9PM. I had mixed feelings at first but the more I play around with the car, the more I like it. It's probably due to not knowing what to expect. The car is most definitely quicker and I'm very happy with it.

During normal driving, you wouldn't know it was supercharged. There's no whine unless you really rev the engine. And if you're in 4th gear at 2k rpm and floor it, there's NOT a sudden rush of acceleration. I haven't played around too much with the car yet but in first gear, it seems like there's too much power...get ready for even more torque steer. I'm thinking for maximum acceleration, you won't need to go full throttle in first gear. I'm still waiting for the opportunity to find an empty stretch of road where I can take VSA off and redline through first and second from a standstill.

Overall very happy with the purchase and big thanks to Josh and his mechanic (sorry - forgot his name already).

Keep driving it around for awhile. The Ecu takes some time to adjust to the new found air flow and power. My car felt good but not as fast as I expected straight out of the shop after the blower install. Once I got some miles on it the performance picked up very nicely.

The clutch on these cars is strange so you need to be fully engauged before going into boost or getting on the car hard. Full throttle shifts will result in massive clutch slipage. Once engauged that clutch will hold the power just fine. Once you get use to it you came smoke the tires with the clutch engauged all the time.

As far as the VSA I keep mine on almost all the time, with this much power you are going to want the help. Congrads on the new blower, just don't push the car too hard.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Congrats

So overall you are happy and all but not as much power as you were hoping for?

Anyway, as "Hi speed" said, drive the car for a week or so and see what happens. See if the ECU starts recognizing the change.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

BTW, let me know if there was huge change in terms of gas consumption.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

DOPENESS!!...im REALLY itching to do this
Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 PM
runnin a little boost

BTW, let me know if there was huge change in terms of gas consumption.
I think I might get better gas mileage with the blower since I am not pushing the car as hard. I get 25 MPG combined city/hi but I do spend more time on the freeway and the 6 speed helps. My car also has such free flowing exhaust that I don't have to go into boost that much and boost on the street is alittle scarry.

I know it sounds stupid that the car would get better mileage, but after the blower you are not on the gas as much. You are only using more gas when in boost and from my experance you can't stay in boost very long anyway before you hit a tree or the rev limiter.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Not really sure what you are talking about interms of power. I am making 100+ hp over stock.

The tunning is another deal, I wish more work was done to start with, but that would just make more power. Sound like you must have been pretty hard on the car to go through 2 engines or had some really bad luck.

There are many people who are happy with their blowers, so I would not discourage anyone from going this route.
$5000 for the SC kit on a stock setup with 4-5 psi only makes....the most and thats pushing it 70 Whp..... what you do with the rest of the car is another thing and involves more money being spent... if you took that kit and installed it on a bone stock TL...it will not make an additional 100+ whp as u claim, 100 whp with only 4-5 psi on a v6 with no proper tune would be supernatural, unless you had 13.0:1 compression ... im making 370 WHP on 6.5 psi...but there's more than just a SC..... so if u wanna look at it... im making 150 additional WHP...but it aint SC alone and it also aint stock boost level either
Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 PM
runnin a little boost

$5000 for the SC kit on a stock setup with 4-5 psi only makes....the most and thats pushing it 70 Whp..... what you do with the rest of the car is another thing and involves more money being spent... if you took that kit and installed it on a bone stock TL...it will not make an additional 100+ whp as u claim, 100 whp with only 4-5 psi on a v6 with no proper tune would be supernatural, unless you had 13.0:1 compression ... im making 370 WHP on 6.5 psi...but there's more than just a SC..... so if u wanna look at it... im making 150 additional WHP...but it aint SC alone and it also aint stock boost level either
I am not claiming a stock TL with the blower will make an additional 100 hp, it is closer to 60.
What I am saying is add some hi flow cats and a full exhaust and you are sitting on an additional 100 if not more HP. Granted I am 10k deep 320 WHP is not bad. You are making 150 extra HP but bagging on the blower as being not worth it.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

again, the SC alone only gives u the 60-70 additional whp....thats $5000

adding other stuff needs more $$$$, so yeah

im on my way to well over 400 whp, about 420 whp... but of course, thats more money on top of the SC lol
Old 06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

^I think I understand what you're saying... So what can you expect from a 5k s/c for other auto applications? I'm contemplating this too, and yeah I'm planning on putting more money in to get the most out of this s/c.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I think I know what Opel is saying and I agree somehow. $5000 for boost to me should be at least 100 HP on top. However, in our case it gives us only about 60 HP on stock TL. Add other things such as meth kit and pulleys and you go over the 60HP. But of course we are talking $$$$ which does not make sense and would be better to sell the TL and buy some Evo 8 or 9.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Burning Brakes

In reality, I think this kit should sell no more than 3K.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

^ well yeah, because to get the 'most' out of it you'll have to add more stuff. Meth kit, hiflow cats or precat deletes, j-pipe, test pipe, and catback. And then if you add all that you will probably wanna get gauges and meters to monitor all that. That doesn't include labor and that's on top 5k spent for a new blower. With that being said, I'm probably still looking at this. It's our only option, unless the turbo kit proves to be a viable alternative.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucnex
what was the final pricetag on all of this?
About 6k...that included the kit, coolant, battery, j-pipe and he also had to remove the e-shift procats and replace them with the stock ones.

(FYI - it was a little painful writing this...6k...ugghhh.)
Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Keep driving it around for awhile. The Ecu takes some time to adjust to the new found air flow and power. My car felt good but not as fast as I expected straight out of the shop after the blower install. Once I got some miles on it the performance picked up very nicely.

The clutch on these cars is strange so you need to be fully engauged before going into boost or getting on the car hard. Full throttle shifts will result in massive clutch slipage. Once engauged that clutch will hold the power just fine. Once you get use to it you came smoke the tires with the clutch engauged all the time.

As far as the VSA I keep mine on almost all the time, with this much power you are going to want the help. Congrads on the new blower, just don't push the car too hard.
Thanks. I'll definitely fun to drive the car. Reminds me of when I bought my intake...I ended up flooring it every chance I get to hear that sweet "growl". Only thing is with the supercharger, you gotta be careful where you do it because you definitely pick up speed...fast!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

About 6k...that included the kit, coolant, battery, j-pipe and he also had to remove the e-shift procats and replace them with the stock ones.

(FYI - it was a little painful writing this...6k...ugghhh.)
forgot to add that I also got the stock size UR pulley as I had the underdrive one in there.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

well, i can't stop at this point....its already too late.... i have custom forged pistons . (shhhhhh) lol

so i will take advantage and squeeze every last psi out of that expensive (hair dryer)-SC lol
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

well, i can't stop at this point....its already too late.... i have custom forged pistons . (shhhhhh) lol

so i will take advantage and squeeze every last psi out of that expensive (hair dryer)-SC lol
How is it trying to launch that monster? I haven't had the chance to launch from a stand still but even with a rolling start, i can tell the torque steer is crazy!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

How is it trying to launch that monster? I haven't had the chance to launch from a stand still but even with a rolling start, i can tell the torque steer is crazy!

its very hard, man.... there's no 1st and 2nd gear AT ALL,
rolling on 2nd and just punching it from like 3400 rpm , breaks the tires loose all the way to 7000....and im talking about really good tires, in the summer heat where the tires grab

btw....you ever hear one with open downpipe? lol..... SCARYYYYYYY
Old 06-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
In reality, I think this kit should sell no more than 3K.
What M62 based supercharger kit sells for that low of a price? None. It isn't Comptech's fault the platform they're working with isn't ideal. (High compression, FWD, difficult ECU, etc). You guys aren't being realistic.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on the supercharger!