PROCATS are now NO-CATS =( for now....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I am currently N/A going to see wats up in a few minutes, just got to install my pulley so I figure as I am underthere I am going to see if I've got any surprises just after the jpipe
Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hm..i'm thinking of doing some engine work on my car, maybe i should pull my cats at that time and look at em..
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^^ yea dude. last time i checked, you were s/c, did a p&p... and have had it blown for like 1 year or 2

do you have M/I ?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^

dude, I'm almost positive methanol injection has nothing to do with it.

Methanol burns clean and is KNOWN not to harm cats.

There a people that have NEVER run Methanol and are having their cats go out like 04accordcpe.

Again, it's NOT the M/I that's causing this problem.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kjelly
Is there any NA people around experiencing the same problem? Can anyone else speak up? Would doing a smog test be the best way to diagnose this problem? I really don't want to take everything apart.

Josh, what's your take on this?

04accord, have you tried contacting Excelerate on this? He is the sole distributor, right?

i bought these directly from eshift, before josh became a main distributor, so i never asked him about it.

i was hoping josh would chime in sometime or maybe contact eshift for us about the problem, since he sells these cats exclusively.

or maybe he's getting bulls**t from eshift too
Old 02-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by MugenR
^^

dude, I'm almost positive methanol injection has nothing to do with it.

Methanol burns clean and is KNOWN not to harm cats.

There a people that have NEVER run Methanol and are having their cats go out like 04accordcpe.

Again, it's NOT the M/I that's causing this problem.
oh I am not sayin thats the only reason they would fail. I was always under impression that M/I and/or NOS would somehow decrease the cats... i actually think it might have been mike @ eshift or maybe josh @ excelerate who told me that...

for all we know , this could just be an isolated incident and maybe 04hondaaccord.. damnit i wanna keep saying blusap... got a bad one. I know my third cat failed on me, and the member i sold it too after mike @ eshfit "replaced" it (i think they rebuilt it, because the substrate was loose) said his substrate was loose too
Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
300whp 237wtrq

yea, i dunno... Honestly, I just don't think the Cat's themselves were built very good. As far as I know the cats were built by metal cat and the pipes were welded on by Eshift.

So I wouldn't necessarily blame eshift, but they did chose a shitty company (if my theory is correct) to get their cats from. haha
Old 02-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I have car ADD

i knew they were metal cat... but.. wow, i always thought Metal Cat was a good company...
Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 PM
300whp 237wtrq

me too. I was under the impression that metal cat and random tech were on the same level of goodness, guess not? *shrug*
Old 02-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate cars, I know how the cat works, and the cold start and all that. The cold start really isn't intended to increase temps beyond normal operating temp though, is it? The point of cold start is to get the cat to light off faster, not to overheat the damn thing.
During cold start, the cat's internal temp is absolutely driven above its normal operating temp. How do you think they warm them up so quickly? I've done exhaust work in the past where we've had to leave the cat outlets open, and watched the cats light off, and even on older cars, the bed glows bright red within 15 seconds of start up, while the ECU is in the cold enrichment mode, and then when it switches to closed loop, they literally stop glowing in about 2 seconds. I was surprised.

IIRC, the ULEV spec says that the car has to be closed-loop on the O2 sensor and within the emissions specs within 10!! seconds of cold start. To me, this is incredible. Based on this, though, I can see how cold enrichment for ULEV may be "extra rich," to get the catalyst reaction hotter, sooner. That would heat the whole thing up faster.

It seems reasonable that the catalyst support structure may not be up to the thermal stress. Maybe they used a low grade of "whatever" to hold the thing together. Tough to say.

EDIT- I don't know about you guys, but sometimes, I can hear and feel fuel being burned right in the exhaust port. It puts a rumble through the car that's quite odd, but only at cold start. It begins about 10-15 sec after start, and continues for another 15-20 sec, then stops. Weird, but I attribute it to the ULEV itself. Perhaps this is happening in the Procats, and they're not up to the rigors of combustion occurring directly inside them.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
i bought these directly from eshift, before josh became a main distributor, so i never asked him about it.

i was hoping josh would chime in sometime or maybe contact eshift for us about the problem, since he sells these cats exclusively.

Yeah, Josh should def be interested in chiming in on this thread, i hope he knows about it and responds quickly... This has to be hurting his potential sales and as a businessman he should want to resolve this asap even though you didnt purchase from him he cant want this to hurt his potential future sales....

Good Luck, and PM Josh something should happen..............
Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 AM
I have car ADD

i dunno about feeling it.. but i DEFINTELY smell it on these cars... my brand new 08 TL-S with an open ended exhaust (no mid muff or resonator) STINKS when it cold starts... it really smells like burning chemicals and gasoline.. like, an above normal from all the NON ulev vehicles ive ownded
Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts

I've emailed, I've called, I've emailed, I've called. There are no real responses. Everytime I actually get them on the phone they say Mike will call me back. I finally got a hold of him last week but all he said was that they were considering putting the cats further downstream. No real information other than that. I haven't even sold a set of these in almost 5 months. They weren't making them and since there are a couple ppl who started posting about issues I figured I would see what E-Shift did before pursuing the issue of making more cats further.

In terms of the quality of the cats Metal Cat is a high quality company and all E-Shift does is incorporate their cats into their design. I don't think this is an extensive problem but I want to see what E-Shift decides first. Warranty on the cats is one year and the workmanship is lifetime as far as E-Shift told me.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I've emailed, I've called, I've emailed, I've called. There are no real responses. Everytime I actually get them on the phone they say Mike will call me back. I finally got a hold of him last week but all he said was that they were considering putting the cats further downstream. No real information other than that. I haven't even sold a set of these in almost 5 months. They weren't making them and since there are a couple ppl who started posting about issues I figured I would see what E-Shift did before pursuing the issue of making more cats further.

In terms of the quality of the cats Metal Cat is a high quality company and all E-Shift does is incorporate their cats into their design. I don't think this is an extensive problem but I want to see what E-Shift decides first. Warranty on the cats is one year and the workmanship is lifetime as far as E-Shift told me.

i heard something like that from somebody on v 6 P. i dont see how they can move the cat any further down the line, its basically impossible. there would be some major clearance issues.

i have a feeling this is a common problem that they are well aware of and to avoid future headaches, have decided to disscontinue them altogether, which leaves the rest of us that spent 1G on these POS f#@cked
Old 02-08-2008, 12:16 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

^ well I didn't get a chance to remove my jpipe and look underneath this week, gonna try next week, hope I don't find anything

Hope mine aren't pos I sure hope so
Old 02-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

i have a feeling this is a common problem that they are well aware of and to avoid future headaches, have decided to disscontinue them altogether, which leaves the rest of us that spent 1G on these POS f#@cked

i feel bad for the rest of you. I was on the fence on whether to purchase the pro cats (last year). I decided to get my Tein SS and 19s instead. It's unfortunate that the cats are having this problem, because the #s they were producing were phenominal
Old 02-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
i heard something like that from somebody on v 6 P. i dont see how they can move the cat any further down the line, its basically impossible. there would be some major clearance issues.

Well we will see what they design, but I wouldn't say this is a common problem b/c besides you I have only seen maybe 1 or 2 other posts and there are a good dozens of sets of Pro Cats out there without a single issue.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:06 PM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Well we will see what they design, but I wouldn't say this is a common problem b/c besides you I have only seen maybe 1 or 2 other posts and there are a good dozens of sets of Pro Cats out there without a single issue.
Well, I don't want to be the glass-is-half-empty guy but how do the rest of us find out if there is an issue. I mean, it seems like there's two ways to find out if there is a problem. One, to actually take out the cats and visually inspect them. And the other, is the check engine light. Will a smog test tell us anything? I had my yearly state inspection done on my car after the cats were installed and the emissions were just about the same (a bit higher, like 12 or so).
Old 02-08-2008, 02:21 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

actually if you remove the jpipe you can see inside both primaries and the 3rd cat, and obviously if there is any substrate either inside the jpipe or infront of the 3rd cat we've got a problem, I will post pics when I finally get the jpipe removed and have a look at the third cat
Old 02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

interesting. i also was going to buy pro-cats few months ago and endded up using the cash for CAI/thermo spacers/UR pulley etc..good thing i changed my mind. since the 07/08 typs S have better flowing cats then the base TL, would they fit on a 05? you think they may pose any gain?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by PeteThaPitbull
interesting. i also was going to buy pro-cats few months ago and endded up using the cash for CAI/thermo spacers/UR pulley etc..good thing i changed my mind. since the 07/08 typs S have better flowing cats then the base TL, would they fit on a 05? you think they may pose any gain?

yes they will fit 100%. yes you will feel a gain going from 900cell to 600cell cats.

whatever your choice, dont EVER buy anything from e-shift performance. not even a freakin phone call or email back regarding these junk $1000k procats. i guess they made there $$ off us and moved on. A holes
Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

is anyone willing to get rid of there type S cats? if not where can i get/buy them from? also should i straight pipe my 3rd cat if i replaced my first/second cat with type S cats or just leave it alone?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
^^

Check wrecks/salvage 1st. You can buy them OEM Parts, but they are pretty steep.

If I were doing it, I'd go straight pipe for the 3rd cat. There is no 02 sensor, so no CEL and you should pass emissions output no problem.

If you find a set of TL-S cats, I'm pretty sure you could buy the 3rd cat and bolt it on if you'd rather. Removing the 3rd cat (IIRC) has little or no performance gain.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 PM
I have car ADD

new cats = $900 or so.... and thats from a discounted website (oemacuraparts.com or acuraoemparts.com
Old 02-29-2008, 12:23 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Well I sold my type s cats for 400 shipped, not a high demand for them... If my procas fail I am going to work something out with a local shop and do something along the lines of the obx headers
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 AM
I have car ADD

yes they will fit 100%. yes you will feel a gain going from 900cell to 600cell cats.

whatever your choice, dont EVER buy anything from e-shift performance. not even a freakin phone call or email back regarding these junk $1000k procats. i guess they made there $$ off us and moved on. A holes
so , if im not mistaken, you sent the cats to them already??

hell man, might be worth the $300 flight to come down here and raise hell for $1k
Old 02-29-2008, 12:42 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

but with the 3rd cat removed and replaced with a straight pipe would i lose tq or backpressure? my setup im planning to do is - TL type S 1st/2nd cat; mikes J pipe; straight pipe 3rd cat; and finish off with the greddy evo exhaust catback
Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 AM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
^^

Check wrecks/salvage 1st. You can buy them OEM Parts, but they are pretty steep.

If I were doing it, I'd go straight pipe for the 3rd cat. There is no 02 sensor, so no CEL and you should pass emissions output no problem.

If you find a set of TL-S cats, I'm pretty sure you could buy the 3rd cat and bolt it on if you'd rather. Removing the 3rd cat (IIRC) has little or no performance gain.
people say/claim loss of power.. but i dont think its actually been proven yet.

once i get my jpipe, im gonna do a bunch of pulls on one day... baseline , j-pipe, and j-pipe cat delete (gonna use the Megan V6 accord test pipe)... its only like $80.. and if it proves 2 or 3 whp, its worth it to me....

might get a little too loud for me... my car is already a bit much to handle @ high speeds and trying to talk to somebody in the car
Old 02-29-2008, 12:45 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

biggest concern is losing power or backpressure from the 3rd cat..personally i rather have it removed but if losing power is the case its not worth removing
Old 02-29-2008, 12:49 AM
I have car ADD

yea, well thast what pre/post dyno will show. so i can answer the question for everybody once and for all... whenever i get the jpipe.. ill be doing those pulls
Old 02-29-2008, 12:51 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

yea im def interested in this..every bit of hp/tq counts..keep me posted - maybe il come out with you for testing..never been dyno'd yet so i have no idea what im making
Old 02-29-2008, 01:03 AM
I have car ADD

yea man. i plan for as soon as i get the j-pipe.. which i am thinking wont be until the end of march... ugghhh... 4 more weeks or so
Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

yea it sux to wait..but its good news for me as i broke my hand so by then il hav my cast off lol..i cant wait..where do you usually go for dynos?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:17 AM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

04accord, perhaps you should file a BBB claim against them... I don't know they care about that or not, but it'll get a third party interested.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

took off my front and rear procats yesterday and look what came out of them

this was the major problem i had 2 weeks ago, when i was getting my car tuned. the cats were so F'ed up inside, they were causing an exhaust restriction when they were heated excessively and my boost was spiking to 7psi on the dyno . i emailed this pic over to e-shit with a message saying "THANKS!! these cats were the best $1K investment ive ever made!"

putting that aside, now that their hollowed out my car is running F'ing incredible! you boosted guys really have to try this. i didnt want to go completey catless, so i took off the megan test pipe and reinstalled the 3rd procat. the o2 sims are working great! no CEL's so far

i scheduled to have my car re-tuned next week. hopefully i can reach my goal of 335-340whp @ 4-5psi after doing this mod, installing the rdx injectors and tuning with the emanage frankenstein combo.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Isn't the substrate supposed to be metallic? I know metal heats up and expands/shrinks, which causes it to move up and a little in the tapered section of the cat. I didn't know that metallic substrate breaks up, OR even worse becomes BRITTLE! Do you remember if the material felt more like a ceramic/chalky substance?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteThaPitbull
biggest concern is losing power or backpressure from the 3rd cat..personally i rather have it removed but if losing power is the case its not worth removing
You guys worry way too much about backpressure. It's possible to have too little but not likely. With stock exhaust piping, even with no cats and aftermarket mufflers, you're not likely to suffer from a lack of backpressure.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by aznbo187
Isn't the substrate supposed to be metallic? I know metal heats up and expands/shrinks, which causes it to move up and a little in the tapered section of the cat. I didn't know that metallic substrate breaks up, OR even worse becomes BRITTLE! Do you remember if the material felt more like a ceramic/chalky substance?
It's always ceremic. "Metal cats" might just be a brand name.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
tTLiang

i have a n/a car. my front-back one was totally ok. the front-front one got eaten all the way thru along the inside wall so the cells can now go up and down the casing. they still look OK tho. nothing like those in the picture. maybe bcuz of s/c?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine third cat looked about like that...lol. I am just waiting for Richie to come out with his precat deletes and then going that route and losing them altogether.

Quick Reply: PROCATS are now NO-CATS =( for now....