PROCATS are now NO-CATS =( for now....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:32 AM
300whp 237wtrq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno, Sounds awfully like poor construction. sounds like the substrate did not have a good bond to the metal housing and over time it got loose and broke off. How many cases do we have of people's pro-cats going bad? not too many right? could just be lack of quality control? just taking a leap here. I'm not saying eshift sucks by any means. My procats have been going strong for about a year and a half even with methanol. I hope I didn't just jinx myself though.. haha

but that's awesome, they seem to be taking care of you blusap
Old 01-04-2008, 02:39 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MugenR
I dunno, Sounds awfully like poor construction. sounds like the substrate did not have a good bond to the metal housing and over time it got loose and broke off. How many cases do we have of people's pro-cats going bad? not too many right? could just be lack of quality control? just taking a leap here. I'm not saying eshift sucks by any means. My procats have been going strong for about a year and a half even with methanol. I hope I didn't just jinx myself though.. haha

but that's awesome, they seem to be taking care of you blusap

wow even with methonal?? thats pretty good. are you tuned or just using the ACM?

your using snow performance i gather.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:41 AM
300whp 237wtrq

Originally Posted by blusap
wow even with methonal?? thats pretty good. are you tuned or just using the ACM?

your using snow performance i gather.

I'm currently using the ACM and patiently awaiting the Hondata reflash, if it ever get released to the public

yup, Snow Performance
Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

I'm currently using the ACM and patiently awaiting the Hondata reflash, if it ever get released to the public

yup, Snow Performance

oh man, you might be waiting for awhile

ever think about using emanage? whats nice is you can always get it retuned and boomslang now makes a PnP harness for the TL. just a thought, cause i know how bad the surging is with the ACM. i only used it for a couple of days and it drove me nuts =P
Old 01-04-2008, 02:48 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok now here is my turn to chime in right quick, and don't think I am in a rush to polute the environment but what would be the benefits of running 0 cell cats/ gutted all 3 cats?

For inspection purposes I can probably get around it (cough cough)
Old 01-04-2008, 02:54 AM
300whp 237wtrq

Blusap - sent you a pm about tuning

Originally Posted by stillhere153
Ok now here is my turn to chime in right quick, and don't think I am in a rush to polute the environment but what would be the benefits of running 0 cell cats/ gutted all 3 cats?

For inspection purposes I can probably get around it (cough cough)
you may pass visual, but you aren't going to pass the actual test.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
The ULEV cars have to run very rich when cold to light off the cat quicker. Running very rich heats the cat more than if it were running normal or even lean. ULEV cats have to withstand the higher temps that ULEV cars produce. These higher temps can make "normal" cats detriorate and come apart. That simple emission certification totally changes the way the car operates when cold.

Yes, but it is colder to start with...the richness INPUTS heat at a high rate unitl operating temp is reached. The mixture levels out once operating temps are attained. ULEV cars do not overheat cats. They just heat them up quicker providing better cold start emissions. ULEV cats may be able to handle higher temps (MAYBE), but we are not talking about worlds of difference here.

No, this is not true. ULEV cars do not run at signifcantly higher EGT levels to warrant a "special super cat." The cats are different because they have more cells and remove more pollutants from the air. Not because they can withstand higher heat.

Marcus
Old 01-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Good note indeed... maybe the deposits werent staying in the substrate, because it was dislodged.. (like in my experience) and they fell to the bottom of the cat, where they didnt heat up properly and were expelled when he took the cat off the car

Hey Blusap, when you removed the cat. Did you shake it lightly? feel the substrate bouncing around in there?
Excessive hydrocarbon deposits would be a very fine particulate matter, like a soot. It would not be any sort of "chunks" and it would not clog a cat. They could coat a cat and prevent it from working correctly, but it would not inhibit flow in this way. Really, if there are HCs in the exhaust stream, they end up out the tailpipe.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

That is what I ment I can get around the inspection altogether... IT IS JUST A STICKER IN NYC
Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Blusap - sent you a pm about tuning

I don't understand why you wouldn't pass emissions. The first two cats to the great majority of the work. The 3rd cat has no O2 sensors and won't throw a CEL.

The emission standard isn't vehicle specific, is it? If not, your car just needs to clean the exhaust as good as a "regular" non-ULEV car right?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Ryan mentions something about "precious" metals, which are supposively in the cats, and are to absorb the hydrocarbons.. are these precious metals in the EShift Cat? maybe thats what was depositing, and it was deposting due to a dislodged substrate on the third cat..

I agree with Marcus - any unburned hydrocarbon is going to be manifested as "soot" that gets blown out the exhaust, not metal-like particles. As Marcus alluded to, at worst, they might deposit on the catalytic converter substrate - just like the Carbon deposits on dirty valves. If that occured, I suppose it could impede the catalytic function.

While I don't know the compostion or specific chemical function of the catalytic substrates, I don't doubt for a moment that they have some precious metal content.

I'd guess Palladium, Platinum, Iridium and/or Gold - could be others, but I'd think those are the most likely. Reason is these metal are pretty non-reactive and will "hold up" to the catalytic reaction that occurs in the cats for a long period of time. They *might* be part of the catalyst in the catalytic process as well.

A Catalyst, chemically, is a substance that is involved in a chemical reaction and enables that chemical reaction can occur at lower energy. When the reaction is concluded, the Catalyst itself is unchanged.

cat·a·lyst (kāt'l-ĭst) Pronunciation Key
n.
Chemistry A substance, usually used in small amounts relative to the reactants, that modifies and increases the rate of a reaction without being consumed in the process.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I agree with Marcus - any unburned hydrocarbon is going to be manifested as "soot" that gets blown out the exhaust, not metal-like particles. As Marcus alluded to, at worst, they might deposit on the catalytic converter substrate - just like the Carbon deposits on dirty valves. If that occured, I suppose it could impede the catalytic function.

While I don't know the compostion or specific chemical function of the catalytic substrates, I don't doubt for a moment that they have some precious metal content.

I'd guess Palladium, Platinum, Iridium and/or Gold - could be others, but I'd think those are the most likely. Reason is these metal are pretty non-reactive and will "hold up" to the catalytic reaction that occurs in the cats for a long period of time. They *might* be part of the catalyst in the catalytic process as well.

A Catalyst, chemically, is a substance that is involved in a chemical reaction and enables that chemical reaction can occur at lower energy. When the reaction is concluded, the Catalyst itself is unchanged.

Good guess on the precious metals, but they are not part of the substrate themselves. The substrate is just a metal or ceramic matrix and serves as a base for the catalytic washcoating that contains the precious metals. The metals themselves actually are relatively active.

Originally Posted by wikipedia
The catalytic converter consists of several components:

1. The core, or substrate. In modern catalytic converters, this is most often a ceramic honeycomb, however stainless steel foil honeycombs are also used. The purpose of the core is to "support the catalyst" and therefore it is often called a "catalyst support". The ceramic substrate was invented by Rodney Bagley, Irwin Lachman and Ronald Lewis at Corning Glass for which they were inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2002.
2. The washcoat. In an effort to make converters more efficient, a washcoat is utilized, most often a mixture of silica and alumina. The washcoat, when added to the core, forms a rough, irregular surface which has a far greater surface area than the flat core surfaces, which is desirable to give the converter core a larger surface area, and therefore more places for active precious metal sites. The catalyst is added to the washcoat (in suspension) before application to the core.
3. The catalyst itself is most often a precious metal. Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used. However, it is not suitable for all applications because of unwanted additional reactions and/or cost. Palladium and rhodium are two other precious metals that are used. Platinum and rhodium are used as a reduction catalyst, while platinum and palladium are used as an oxidization catalyst. Cerium, iron, manganese and nickel are also used, though each has its own limitations. Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union (due to reaction with carbon monoxide). While copper can be used, its use is illegal in North America due to the formation of dioxin.

wikipedia

If the substrate is the "support for the catalyst" is the physical internal structure of the cat. If the cat breaks, it is because the substrate failed.

The precious metals are the catalyst, and it is only present in the form of a suspension in a fluid that is poured over the catalyst. A ULEV car simply has more surface area on the substrate (through the use of more cells per inch) for the catalyst washcoat to stick to.

Saying that the core's inability to withstand a ULEV car's exhaust is like saying a car's body would not be able to stand up to the sun if it has a poor paint job. In other words, a cheap paint job may last longer than an expensive one, but neither one is going to result in a dented fender. The fender is just the substrate for the paint. To damage the fender, you need to hit the car or add a lot more heat that the sunshine is going to provide. You'd need a torch or something to melt the fender.

Similarly, to break the catalyst, it is going to take more than a change in temperature. Below a certain excessive limit, a ULEV exhaust is not volatile enough to damage a cat. In all likelihood, the exhaust on a low emissions car is probably cleaner than on a non-ulev car.

Marcus
Old 01-04-2008, 11:54 AM
AZ Community Team

^^

Got it. I did just guess, so thanks for the refernce and clarification.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Good guess on the precious metals, but they are not part of the substrate themselves. The substrate is just a metal or ceramic matrix and serves as a base for the catalytic washcoating that contains the precious metals. The metals themselves actually are relatively active.

wikipedia

If the substrate is the "support for the catalyst" is the physical internal structure of the cat. If the cat breaks, it is because the substrate failed.

The precious metals are the catalyst, and it is only present in the form of a suspension in a fluid that is poured over the catalyst. A ULEV car simply has more surface area on the substrate (through the use of more cells per inch) for the catalyst washcoat to stick to.

Saying that the core's inability to withstand a ULEV car's exhaust is like saying a car's body would not be able to stand up to the sun if it has a poor paint job. In other words, a cheap paint job may last longer than an expensive one, but neither one is going to result in a dented fender. The fender is just the substrate for the paint. To damage the fender, you need to hit the car or add a lot more heat that the sunshine is going to provide. You'd need a torch or something to melt the fender.

Similarly, to break the catalyst, it is going to take more than a change in temperature. Below a certain excessive limit, a ULEV exhaust is not volatile enough to damage a cat. In all likelihood, the exhaust on a low emissions car is probably cleaner than on a non-ulev car.

Marcus
You obviously have a product to sell. I'm done with this thread. I would rather argue with my 6 year old niece.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Advanced

would the emange make any difference on a N/A TL? Would significant gains be made by just tuning?

Originally Posted by blusap
oh man, you might be waiting for awhile

ever think about using emanage? whats nice is you can always get it retuned and boomslang now makes a PnP harness for the TL. just a thought, cause i know how bad the surging is with the ACM. i only used it for a couple of days and it drove me nuts =P
Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
<-- i am loving this thread! learning so much sh*t i didnt know..
Old 01-04-2008, 03:35 PM
300whp 237wtrq

I don't understand why you wouldn't pass emissions. The first two cats to the great majority of the work. The 3rd cat has no O2 sensors and won't throw a CEL.

The emission standard isn't vehicle specific, is it? If not, your car just needs to clean the exhaust as good as a "regular" non-ULEV car right?

Well, in washington it is car specific, even down to the year.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about gutting ALL cats. Which would basically be like running a a straight pipe from the head.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:14 PM
AZ Community Team

I'm pretty sure he's talking about gutting ALL cats. Which would basically be like running a a straight pipe from the head.
You're right. Sorry, missed that. Doing that it would fail emissions the inspection that is done here (NC) also.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
You're right. Sorry, missed that. Doing that it would fail emissions the inspection that is done here (NC) also.
Gutting the cats would also throw a CEL, and possibly throw your tuning out of whack...

O2 sensors are there for a reason.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

wikipedia

Marcus
Marcus - The article makes some decent points. Some I agree with and others I think are a bit of a stretch. Can super-heating casue damage? Certainly but that article makes it sound like you'd be crazy to think it possible when (in fact), it is not impossible (nor even "un-likely" under extreme conditions). In the end, sometimes products are simply "made poorly" and the mfg needs to take ownership. I don't own the cats in question so I cannot take either side but if your going to use a reference point, at least use one that is actually a refernce point (like a formal study by consumer reports or something similar) rather than a simple internet collection of opinions.

You DO realize that wikipedia isn't REALLY a viable reference, right? Not like it's all actual FACT. Some of it "may" be fact, but in other cases, it's been shown to be little more than fabrication by the author. So, by referencing wiki as your source you are basically saying.... I don't have a REAL authentic source so I'll share a "common opinion" and alude that it is in fact, verifiable.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Gutting the cats would also throw a CEL, and possibly throw your tuning out of whack...

O2 sensors are there for a reason.
Tuning "should" be fine. For any sort of fuel calculations, the ECM uses the 02s before the cats. The 02s after the cats are there to make sure the cats are functioning. That's how it's been with every other car I've owned or worked on. Being that this is a ULEV car, who knows.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Tuning "should" be fine. For any sort of fuel calculations, the ECM uses the 02s before the cats. The 02s after the cats are there to make sure the cats are functioning. That's how it's been with every other car I've owned or worked on. Being that this is a ULEV car, who knows.
Sure... but how. Boomslang/Greddy? Has that ever been done for real on a TL? Everyone says it, never seen it.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Former Sponsor

You obviously have a product to sell. I'm done with this thread. I would rather argue with my 6 year old niece.

Um, last I checked these were the only guys making this part for this car. Obviously I have a lot of stuff to sell, but I am not competing with e-shift at all here.

ndabunka:

Yes, I know wikipedia is a looser reference. But the content is reviewed and this portion I quote I can promise is correct. I have othere non-linkable sources to back it up. I am going to have to ask you to give me some credit and take my word for it as I don't have the time to find a link for you at the time being.

Super heating can cause damage to any cat. And that is why if the exhaust is being super heated it is going to cause a problem. The stance some are making is that on some cars the cat is super heated during cold start. While I agree that extra heat is put in, it is only to compensate when the cat is cold. Therefore, adding more heat does not mean the same as overheating. Overheating is different.

Guys, what about ULEV is making it such a big concern? All it is is a bigger cat and more evap crap.

Marcus
Old 01-06-2008, 02:03 PM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am very hesitant to post anything regarding this matter having no specific info and not being responsible for this product. A lot of money and folks are involved and it's a bad situation for all the parties. I'm sure Mike will chime in when he has some concrete solution, that would be the best. He does his best to answer the phone on regular basis even while working on cars, he does not seat in the office all day by the phone and PC, more often he's in the garage wrenching or working with his walk-in clientèle.

I can only say that the last time we spoke about this he acknowledged the problem and told me that all the shrunk and damaged cats are going back to the manufacturer for inspection. Quite possibly this is a manufacturer defect, in some cases the cat material shrinks up to the point where it can no longer filter spent gases and that's when the O2 sensor communicates a problem to the ECU and it throws a CEL.

Mike was also commenting on the close coupled primaries and that they endure extreme high temps, especially in a supercharged application and more so with HBP. Obviously this is Honda's emission, weight saving and packaging solution but it does not help the pro cat longevity. He offered to experiment on my car in relocating the primaries further downstream from the head, extending the O2 sensors, etc.

If anyone has absolutely no luck getting a hold of Mike or Wayne, PM me and I will try to pass the info on to them or help you catch up with them somehow. I'm working on my car in their garage now so I see them almost every day. Hope this helps!

PS. I'm sure this is a well known info by now but I'll cite it again just in case. This comes from the Acura press releases on the TL emissions and tech specs.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/735/releases/1402
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/735/releases/2827
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/735/releases/4215
Old 01-18-2008, 01:25 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

still no word from e-shift
Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 AM
300whp 237wtrq

So, I was curious to see what my cats looked like after about 15k miles with S/C and Methanol. (a little over a 1.5 years)

I haven't had any problems or noticed anything wrong, just curious.

I took off my jpipe and looked at all 3 cats. my 3rd cats is in perfect shape, nothing loose inside.

I looked at the front 2 cats and it seems the substrate is loose, can move them up and down with my finger, but nothing is seems to be "deteriorating." I took a pretty hard look at it and it seems there was some kind of glue or epoxy type thing that holds the substrate to the walls of the cats. These failed to hold the substrate, thus the free movement of the substrate. By design it looks as if the cats are still doing their job because they are still in a position where it would burn the hydrocarbons and let air flow through.

again, the cats look absolutely fine the only thing that failed is the adhesive that held the substrate in place, but since the substrate is bigger than the openings, it doesn't look like it would do much harm.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:23 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

So, I was curious to see what my cats looked like after about 15k miles with S/C and Methanol. (a little over a 1.5 years)

I took off my jpipe and looked at all 3 cats. my 3rd cats is in perfect shape, nothing loose inside.

I looked at the front 2 cats and it seems the substrate is loose, can move them up and down with my finger, but nothing is seems to be "deteriorating." I took a pretty hard look at it and it seems there was some kind of glue or epoxy type thing that holds the substrate to the walls of the cats. These failed to hold the substrate, thus the free movement of the substrate. By design it looks as if the cats are still doing their job because they are still in a position where it would burn the hydrocarbons and let air flow through.

again, the cats look absolutely fine the only thing that failed is the adhesive that held the substrate in place, but since the substrate is bigger than the openings, it doesn't look like it would do much harm.
exact same thing happen to mine. did you physically take off the 3rd car? or did you just peak inside?? chances are if you remove it, shards of thin metal will come pouring out of it.

and so far, not a word from eshift after several email attempts. (going on almost 2 months now)
Old 02-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Guys, what about ULEV is making it such a big concern? All it is is a bigger cat and more evap crap.

Marcus
You just don't get it. Close coupled cats, higher warmup temps. It's not just a "bigger cat and more evap crap". There's a lot more to a ULEV than the cats but we'll stay on the subject of cats.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Substrate should not be loose. This is the first problem in a series of events that's going to end with your third cat catching the primary cats. It would be interesting to try your car at a smog station. I would bet money it has no chance of passing.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I have car ADD

Any updates?

Also, how the HELL did you change your Username ??? Ive been dying to get rid of "Blackura" since my car is no longer black lol
Old 02-05-2008, 08:17 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

stay with blackura_ny even if your car isn't black anymore
(nbp @ heart)
Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Any updates?

Also, how the HELL did you change your Username ??? Ive been dying to get rid of "Blackura" since my car is no longer black lol

contact ron a via PM. make sure the name you use isnt taken already, than ask him to change it to whatever you pick.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:06 AM
I have car ADD

ah.. id probably keep my name.. its a legend lol

but seriously man... no word from eshift??
Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
...tempting to make a high-flow cat at this point...a local friend of mine just had his cats just deteriorate on him as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:20 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn Sean sucks to hear your stil waiting
Just get the TL-S cats

On a side note:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
i wish more people ran a business like you marcus. you are a great guy to deal with and very easy to get a hold of. when i had questions about the suspension i bought and installed by you, you had no problems of taking a look at it, even a year later, to make a few minor adjustments on my EDFC motors and not charging me a penny for it. thats the way everyone should do business.

im definetly going to be calling you soon, regarding those brake kits we talked about. my powerslots are starting to get heat cracks
Can i get your calipers when you get the BBK
Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

ah.. id probably keep my name.. its a legend lol

but seriously man... no word from eshift??

nada, after leaving several messages/emails over the past month, not a single call back or email reply from them
Old 02-06-2008, 04:57 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

man I sure mike decides to make a reliable high flow system that doesn't feature crazy glued substrate

K this makes me want to take my jpipe off and see if there is anything in the third cat, mmmh what a shame man
Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by stillhere153
man I sure mike decides to make a reliable high flow system that doesn't feature crazy glued substrate

K this makes me want to take my jpipe off and see if there is anything in the third cat, mmmh what a shame man
ya tell me about.

you would think that a co. as well known as eshift, can at the very least return a call. im starting to get a feel on how they do business. customer service was great when purchasing, but when i comes to backing their product, its a whole different story. you either get the major runaround or totally ignored altogether >:-(

#!%$@!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 AM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there any NA people around experiencing the same problem? Can anyone else speak up? Would doing a smog test be the best way to diagnose this problem? I really don't want to take everything apart.

Josh, what's your take on this?

04accord, have you tried contacting Excelerate on this? He is the sole distributor, right?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 AM
I have car ADD

i had problems with my 3rd cat too.. on an 06 N/A TL

Quick Reply: PROCATS are now NO-CATS =( for now....