Precat-deletes V2 install

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 09-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spoke to soon got a cel looks like i will be putting the supplied defoulers on, did anybody drill the opening? on the temporary defoulers i had to drill the opening for the sensor
Old 09-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by NedShneebly
the precats added noticeable noise to my exhaust system. with stock cats and full exhaust with resonator, it was perfect - nice purr. precats added some throat but they are so worth it that sound wasn't a factor. if you have a full exhaust the precat power can be felt through entire range.
Thanks for the feed back Jason. Going to be on the fence for this for a while. Let me know if you come back to town so I can hear your car.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:26 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by craigtl35
spoke to soon got a cel looks like i will be putting the supplied defoulers on, did anybody drill the opening? on the temporary defoulers i had to drill the opening for the sensor
no drilling. if you have the 90 deg bend defoulers, you're gonna have to pull the front precat to install the defouler. for the rear, probably will have to un snap lower 02 sensor wire keeper to reach the defouler.

reset ECU by pulling battery negative lead.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 AM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
so will richies pre-cat delete's v2 throw a cel? basically i install them and i won't get a cel right? sorry for being a noob, but just curious if this mod will throw a cel, and how to make this mod not throw a cel if it does? also what are defoulers? thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Racer

defoulers trick the o2 sensors into thinking that the cats are doing there job the top sensor measures the ammount of bad stuff that is entering the exhaust, the lower o2 sensor measures the ammount after the catalyst since there is nothing to change this number, the lower o2 sensor has to be tricked into thinking there is less "stuff" the defoulers move the sensor further away, and have a smaller opening limiting the "bad stuff" reading, i installed the angled defoulers today and have no cel,

how has everyone installed their defoulers? i feel like there is no room for the defoulers, i couldnt find a good location for them where they were not close to anything, so far i dont hear or see anything that looks like it is damaging the o2 sensors, i ended up having both bends facing the sky has anybody had the bend facing down? or to the front or back of the car, i apoligise if this is unclear
Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I had a super easy time installing mine... That is once the oem cats were removed.

I didn't drill the defoulers. Just installed defoulers "as is". I didn't do a ecu reset either becuase I wanted to see how sensitive that cel would be. Never had a cel yet. Never did a ecu reset either.

Install the sensors before installing the deletes on the car. Just leave the lock nut loose until the very last to allow final positioning of the angle. Remove the bracket from front and rear wiring harnesses.

Angle the front defouler like this and tighten locknut.

Angle the rear defouler like this and tighten locknut.

Be sure to secure the wiring harness to prevent chaffing. Here is a pic of the front. I could not get a pic of the rear wiring because not enough room for camera. Just ziptie the rear to things to prevent it rubbibg against stuff, and allow some slack too in the length while securing it.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 AM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
does richies's precat deletes include the front and rear defouler? and he includes all the hardware to bolt everything on right? thank you innaccurate for ur very helpful picture diagrams
Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Racer

damn i didnt put the locknuts on do you think i need them? they didnt really seem necessary since the defoulers can screw all the way in
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tenzingsherpa
does richies's precat deletes include the front and rear defouler? and he includes all the hardware to bolt everything on right?

Yes. It is the best prepared packages that I have ever purchased from any manf. Richie pampers his customers. Every gasket, every bolt-nut-washer (stainless steel too), front and rear defouler, and anti-sieze is included.

Originally Posted by craigtl35
damn i didnt put the locknuts on do you think i need them? they didnt really seem necessary since the defoulers can screw all the way in
Honestly, yes. I know it is not the answer you want to hear. You need the locknut to keep the defouler from moving around (different angle) and pulling the wires around. I would worry that the wires would be pushed against the hot exhaust pipe from the defouler randomly changing angle.

And here is a paranoid thought. The deletes were designed/tested with the locknut. Without the locknut, the defouler is screwed further into the exhaust stream. The defouler might be catching more of the exhaust stream than designed because the defouler protrudes further into the exhaust flow. And the other hand, I could be wrong.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Racer

thats not what i wanted to hear, but it makes sense, atleast il be a pro at installing and uninstalling them, this will be the third time i have had to pull the cats in a week o wel.

i am absolutely in love with these deletes now the sound is amazing when i installed the defoulers i tightned everything up correctly and now most of the rasp is gone, i still have a little at arround 3k rpm but i can deal with that, i love driving by people with stock tl's and seeing them look at me like wtf?? i also love the power the increase is unbelieveable

to anybody that is thinking of purchasing these i say go for it, you cannot beat the hp increase for the money and richie has the best customer service, any problems are handled quickly and correctly
Old 09-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Safety Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaXcEPScSqM

Here is a video of how mine sounds from the driver seat.

This is a half throttle blast from approx 60 to approx 100 mph. I was holding a steady 60 going up the entrance ramp until you hear me get into it with half throttle. I know that the speedo shows approx 90 but that was a few seconds after I shut it down (foot completely off of throttle).

My setup is

Precat Deletes --> XLR8 Jpipe --> RV6 Race pipe --> oem resonator --> OEM catback (but with midmuffler deleted)

I also have the IM Black 75A motor mounts. The motor mounts do slightly change the way the engine sounds from inside the car.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Green Machine

Wow! That is loud. I can't imagine how mine would sound with my catback.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

But as you seen, it is quiet when not "in" the throttle. When not in the throttle, it is same level as the tires humming.

And when in the throttle, the loud is a pleasant loud (oxymoron?). The sound level is up there but nothing that comes close to hurting the ears.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
But as you seen, it is quiet when not "in" the throttle. When not in the throttle, it is same level as the tires humming.

And when in the throttle, the loud is a pleasant loud (oxymoron?). The sound level is up there but nothing that comes close to hurting the ears.
True, but it sounds like it has a touch of raspiness. It would be worse for me. Sounds pretty good though!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Sounds awesome! You gotta get more videos of your car in action
Old 09-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by alexSU
You gotta get more videos of your car in action
Coming soon to a subforum near you !

This is my current project. I will be starting a thread in the Racing subforum soon. I am hoping to have it by sometime this weekend or early next week.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

Video is now posted in racing subforum.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Would these be essential to get if i have a supercharger set up XLR8 j-pipe and rv6 racepipe with custom cold air intake on supercharger.?? or should I just sve my money becuase if i put these on with the s/c it would just create too much power for engine to handle as opel says denotation??
Old 09-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

Well, I was waiting for one of the SC guys to answer.

Based on comments that I read often from the SC guys, the answer is a big "YES" you should get these!

The PCD (precat deletes) benefit the sc guys the most versus the NA cars. The PCD will help to reduce the denotation tendencies, not aggravate more denotation. For you, the PCD are a "must have".
Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

So would it be A wise choice to get these instead of methanol injection for now?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Racer

from what i understand, the deletes will get an s/c more power, but meth injection will make everything safer. why not do both

a little update on my obsession with this product, since installation, my underhood temps seem to be non existant, i know some of that is due to the cooler weather, but heatsoak seems to have disapeared in normal driving, i just got home from about an hour of spirited driving, popped my hood touched my cai which is usually warm to the touch, now it was litterally cold especially the further i got away from the engine, throttle body was cold, i would even feel comfortable laying my face on my intake manifold cover. i even put my plastic engine covers back on today since i like the way they look much more than my dirty naked engine. somebody should take a reading of underhood temps before and after i am interested to see what the difference is, not only do these make a ton of power for the money they maintain power by keeping everything cooler
Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Former Sponsor

would it be wise to put tank in my trunk with an open sub box w7 jl?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Racer

dont know to much about meth, but i do know about audio i would say you will probably be fine, but i wouldnt risk it, i think people have been using the windshield washer resovoir for the meth, again i dont know much about it so you might want to wait for an sc meth user, hehe meth