Possible rear rotor upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Possible rear rotor upgrade.

Ever since I took the wheels off of my car months ago I was super suprised that the rear rotors weren't ventilated. I was even more suprised by that fact since I have the brembo front brakes and that this is an Acura. Just doesn't seem right.

So I've been kicking an idea around in my head and I thought it would be beneficial to get it in the forum and get some opinions.

I've been thinking about upgrading the rear brakes to ventilated rotors. This would take alot of research to find the correct rotor. I have been looking at other oem rotors from other manufacturers.

The min. requirement so far has been a lug pattern of 5-114. I know that mustangs and some mitsubishi share the same lug pattern. Can you think of any more?

My buddy works at an advance auto parts so I was going to go there and measure a TL rear rotor. That way I'll have something to compare other rotors to. And then I'll spend a little time measuring the other possible rotors to see if one will work.

Whatever rotor fits will mean that I will have to buy a new caliper too to fit the wider rotor. So for example if it turns out that a Mustang rear rotor fits then I will have to buy a Mustang rear caliper too. Overall diameter of the rotor isn't too important as long as it is not too much bigger than the TL rotor. I figure that a bracket would have to be made to mount the new caliper anyways so the bracket could be made to accomodate a larger diameter rotor also.

I also thought about some aftermarket companies that may offer rotor upgrades for both the TL and the unknown rotor. So far Rotora seems to have every rotor ever known available.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by NCTL05
Ever since I took the wheels off of my car months ago I was super suprised that the rear rotors weren't ventilated. I was even more suprised by that fact since I have the brembo front brakes and that this is an Acura. Just doesn't seem right.

So I've been kicking an idea around in my head and I thought it would be beneficial to get it in the forum and get some opinions.

I've been thinking about upgrading the rear brakes to ventilated rotors. This would take alot of research to find the correct rotor. I have been looking at other oem rotors from other manufacturers.

The min. requirement so far has been a lug pattern of 5-114. I know that mustangs and some mitsubishi share the same lug pattern. Can you think of any more?

My buddy works at an advance auto parts so I was going to go there and measure a TL rear rotor. That way I'll have something to compare other rotors to. And then I'll spend a little time measuring the other possible rotors to see if one will work.

Whatever rotor fits will mean that I will have to buy a new caliper too to fit the wider rotor. So for example if it turns out that a Mustang rear rotor fits then I will have to buy a Mustang rear caliper too. Overall diameter of the rotor isn't too important as long as it is not too much bigger than the TL rotor. I figure that a bracket would have to be made to mount the new caliper anyways so the bracket could be made to accomodate a larger diameter rotor also.

I also thought about some aftermarket companies that may offer rotor upgrades for both the TL and the unknown rotor. So far Rotora seems to have every rotor ever known available.
Don't waste your time. 1. The rear brakes do very little of the braking, I think 30% of the braking is done by the rear. 2. If you want larger rears Rotora makes a kit but it is expensive and will yeild little if any improvement.

If you are going for looks Rotora rotors for the back would look cool, but members have reported cooking the bearings in the rear wheels with more aggressive rotor/pad combos.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
not to mention the fact that the rear rotors are also the rear parking brake drums. maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to find a replacement that serves both functions
Old 10-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
^ What's up Andrew! Haven't seen you here in a while! Check out the regions section, we are planning a meet in December. That goes for you as well OP, sign up

Last edited by alexSU; 10-19-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Originally Posted by AndrewA
not to mention the fact that the rear rotors are also the rear parking brake drums. maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to find a replacement that serves both functions
Probably not easy at all. I would need measurements to find a correct rotor. It would have to be a rear rotor. Most rear rotors have the hat to house the e-brake assembly.

I know that Rotora has a dedicated rear rotor setup, but I've read that it is based on the stock rotor and isn't ventilated. Is that wrong?

My purpose is to find a stock setup that one could do for under $400. It would be nice if it was possible to have an aftermarket company do the same rotors cause then they would match. That was my reasoning. There is no point in choosing different manufacturers rotors if you can't upgrade them later if desired or else end up with different looking rotors.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Originally Posted by alexSU
^ What's up Andrew! Haven't seen you here in a while! Check out the regions section, we are planning a meet in December. That goes for you as well OP, sign up
I put my name on the list. Do we know where we're going for lunch? What's going on after?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by NCTL05
I put my name on the list. Do we know where we're going for lunch? What's going on after?

Not sure about lunch but after that it's the meet I think we'll decide when everyone show's up at C&C.

After the meet, probably go drinking somewhere