Poor Man's Turbo... Yeah why not

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
it would but not with a tl... throw the 3.5 manual into a 92 cx turbo it and put 1 seat... oh wait too late richie beat me to it
Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
how many alarms does that thing have, looks sick. Look into the ravelco - no cars been stolen with it, I have it and love it. How much would that tl-s go for you think? Its basically just an engine and a frame and lights which they did not damage for some odd reason. The TL-s looks like edward scissor hands owned it.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
All i can say is from what you guys are starting with... you need to hang around more DSM forums (I've got a T3, lol, noobs). I've been in contact with rodney a lot lately and he's really got his stuff down on this setup. I hang around and work with guys that do nothing but build high performance drag cars all day. I've been through every possible setup and blueprinting with these guys and to do this setup right you need to spend some money and not cut corners.

well i tried. i guess all thats left is to sit back and see how many motors blow... This is what i meant by new civic
Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

^ funny thing is cl-s motors are $400 a pop... and they are easy to find, 1 mile away I can get 10... imma buy 2 throw one in build the other...

might try tl-s (07/08) heads... which is why the richie precats are on my list

Old 11-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
well said... after all what I posted has been longer than this car has been out

and the precat deletes have been for a considerable amount of time

NOW... lets get on with the details...
explamation plz
Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
All i can say is from what you guys are starting with... you need to hang around more DSM forums (I've got a T3, lol, noobs). I've been in contact with rodney a lot lately and he's really got his stuff down on this setup. I hang around and work with guys that do nothing but build high performance drag cars all day. I've been through every possible setup and blueprinting with these guys and to do this setup right you need to spend some money and not cut corners.

well i tried. i guess all thats left is to sit back and see how many motors blow... This is what i meant by new civic
maybe the mods can move this to the 2nd gen forum because there are so many butt-hurt people here
Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
explamation plz
precast head fitting for up pipe..
Old 11-18-2009, 11:49 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

explamation plz
that is the 4bolt flange required for the downpipe from the head to the collector... if someone were to want to go custom they wouldn't have to purchase the precats... or if someone already had the precat deletes they could just sell them and go straight custom... although it would be a lot of work because you'd have to weld on 4 o2 bungs
Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I got the Shifts

true. so precats deletes are perfect for this. if only we had room for twins there. right after the head like on the talon TSI
Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Tt is for looks, vtec spools single turbos like magic
Old 11-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
Tt is for looks, vtec spools single turbos like magic
single ftw
Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 PM

^ or that.. lol.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM
I mod my car in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*Bump. So did anybody do a "poor mans turbo" or was it all just discussed and not done? I have a co-worker who knows all about turbos and he wants to put one in my car just about as much as i want to. I barely have the $ to do Tien Coilovers (which i want to do very soon) let alone a turbo but if there is a way to buy it piece by piece i could see myself doing that and over time have all the parts and then do the install
Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
You could build a turbo kit for the TL for "cheap" if you know how to weld and set it up. i was going to do my own but wanted to be able to put my car back to stock for when i sell it. I am suprised that not a single person has done this, the J&R kit is crazy in the price section becasue i could build one for half.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
^ I thought more of these "home made" turbos are gonna be out too but I guess not. Besides a few people on here, not many other members are mechanically knowledgeable (me included) nor have the funds to do something like this. And a lot of members don't wanna mess up their cars either in case something goes wrong. Fad around here is slamming the car and putting on some uber wide wheels......5 times a season haha
Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 AM
I mod my car in

Yeah slamming the car can be for the people with the automatics and the big bass box in the trunk... i am currently putting 269HP to the wheels and i want that # to increase pretty significantly...
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

It is true, but you pay J&R for the R&N and the time it took to get it right. You will be on the car for weeks trying to get everything right and you will need things such as a computer, injectors and a decent turbo. Right there for those 3 things your easily over a grand already.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 04_6SPEEDTL
*Bump. So did anybody do a "poor mans turbo" or was it all just discussed and not done? I have a co-worker who knows all about turbos and he wants to put one in my car just about as much as i want to. I barely have the $ to do Tien Coilovers (which i want to do very soon) let alone a turbo but if there is a way to buy it piece by piece i could see myself doing that and over time have all the parts and then do the install
You have to pay to play. If you can't afford tein coilovers, how are you going to afford a new clutch?

Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
You could build a turbo kit for the TL for "cheap" if you know how to weld and set it up. i was going to do my own but wanted to be able to put my car back to stock for when i sell it. I am suprised that not a single person has done this, the J&R kit is crazy in the price section becasue i could build one for half.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
It seems that so many attempts at doing this to a 3G fails not with the mechanics but the tuning and integration of the engine management with the stock ECU.

If you have a stripped down civic or something that you aren't concerned with maintaining the CAN bus for other functions, then it is less complicated.

With the new ECU coming out, I'm thinking that this may change. Although, the piggybacks of an F/IC could have been used. But like most, including myself, a starting point is needed. Tweaking is possible but that initial work is where lots of knowledge, time and money is spent on a dyno.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
One word of advice to anyone looking to do it on a budget... don't. Trust me, I've had both the turbo and S/C kits and you can't just buy an F/I kit and expect everything to be OK. If you can't afford to do what it takes to do it right, save yourself a LOT of headaches and just don't do it.

If you can't afford the cost of a replacement engine and/or transmission when you start playing with F/I, you probably shouldn't do it. Eventually something will go wrong and when it does, you'll be up s**t creek without a paddle because you can't afford to fix it.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I mod my car in

Originally Posted by Majofo
You have to pay to play. If you can't afford tein coilovers, how are you going to afford a new clutch?

Point Taken, i can afford it im just making a point (and this has been said before) we shouldnt have to spend half our cars worth for a turbo. Its unfortunate that a turbo kit wasnt mass produced for our cars. I take it that the major companies didnt see the demand we have for it. That being said i do appreciate what has been produced its just too expensive. I do believe in you have to pay to play & you get what you pay for.... but there is always another option
Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Point Taken, i can afford it im just making a point (and this has been said before) we shouldnt have to spend half our cars worth for a turbo. Its unfortunate that a turbo kit wasnt mass produced for our cars. I take it that the major companies didnt see the demand we have for it. That being said i do appreciate what has been produced its just too expensive. I do believe in you have to pay to play & you get what you pay for.... but there is always another option
But no matter what route you take, the pay to play concept is not an option. You pay now or you pay later.

If you are like me, bought my car new in 06 and paid it off early, then it's not spending half of what it's worth to me. My plan is to keep it until I get tired of it and give it to my son or hook it to a junkyard.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Ant, if I were you I'd just run a shot of nitrous. Read up on nitrous and start with a 35 shot, then work your way up. Honestly a 50 shot would make it considerably quicker. A '50 shot' is really like adding 60whp/tq (95% of the time it's more than the shot itself from what I've seen). You'd most likely be neck & neck with Jared. He's too fast for us now
Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM

NOSSS!!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
I mod my car in

Originally Posted by KN_TL
But no matter what route you take, the pay to play concept is not an option. You pay now or you pay later.

If you are like me, bought my car new in 06 and paid it off early, then it's not spending half of what it's worth to me. My plan is to keep it until I get tired of it and give it to my son or hook it to a junkyard.
Understandable i guess i will have to start saving now
Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM
I mod my car in

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Ant, if I were you I'd just run a shot of nitrous. Read up on nitrous and start with a 35 shot, then work your way up. Honestly a 50 shot would make it considerably quicker. A '50 shot' is really like adding 60whp/tq (95% of the time it's more than the shot itself from what I've seen). You'd most likely be neck & neck with Jared. He's too fast for us now

That can be a possibility, goal isnt to beat his 370Z, its to have something different and turn heads. I love the feeling of pulling up to a cocky mustang driver and blowing his doors off. Not saying all guys who have mustangs are like that but the ones that put an intake and exhaust and think they are so fast. Even the SRT 4 i beat was like WTF???
Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Safety Car

I'm actually saving money. Before the kit, I was considering something else that was more aftermarket friendly but would be a ticket magnet for the police.

Now I have a car I still love with somewhat endless hobby value (meaning I can constantly tweak on it). True that it's a FWD and not optimal, but still a blast to drive and look at.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
That can be a possibility, goal isnt to beat his 370Z, its to have something different and turn heads. I love the feeling of pulling up to a cocky mustang driver and blowing his doors off. Not saying all guys who have mustangs are like that but the ones that put an intake and exhaust and think they are so fast. Even the SRT 4 i beat was like WTF???
True, true. The SRT4 I beat said the same thing. I put a couple cars on him, he was like damn, wtf lol.

Not gonna lie, I'm trying to be as fast as the 370. Realistically, it's not gonna happen unless I did a full NA build or S/C...which is not gonna happen. I'm just hoping to be at 270/220 after the custom Jpipe and FULL 3in exhaust.

You should definitely do the ported lower runners/ported IM/bored TB. That should help the top end to continue climbing instead of plaining off around 6500. Also think about a 3in exhaust...I'm sure you could sell the Greddy rather quickly. It's not the greatest performing exhaust.

I'll let you drive my car after the clutch/flywheel/Jpipe to see how you like it. It should rev quicker after the flywheel and have a meatier powerband after the custom Jpipe. I don't know of anyone with a custom Jpipe mated to a 3in exhaust yet. But I could be wrong. I will have dynos though.

Last edited by Sonnick; 03-29-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Man where have i been !!!!!Oh busy with kikAZZ install , i have only one comment thanks to all the people who understands and who have invested and stand by the kit ive produced ,when i started the project i vowed to do it correct and the way it should be done meaning tested on the car as a daily driver with the thought in mind that no one wants to park up there tl and just use it on weekend only some of us still wants power and reliability and luxury functions........
Anyone whos close to us or have been associated with me knows that profit on my parts are a simple joke as im a customer myself so i keep products under priced , for two reasons they can be purchased without breaking the bank and secondly hoping my products be displayed on most if not all tls {wishing}.....AT the beginning of jandr i had a partner but for over a year now ive been handling this all by myself with the help of my tuner and a few good shop owners whos admire my desire to make things work and function as they should ,and still manage to maintain my job to support my family ,trust me when i say i do this because i guess my life is abit boring as some people might say but cars are my only hobby and passion ,with that said anyone can build a kit heck the first kit was so crappy i lost all investment and started over ,reason for this is after r&d, things wouldnt function like they sould it was chaos im sure kn and hi speed remember it took a while for me to release the kit as they believed in my goal and prepayed for the kit to allow me to start over and make sure it was a do it yourself kit which kn proved with his thread even made libert a believer and eventually a customer with his auto tl.......
The tl kit is still the one most completed kit out for high end cars like the tl at this cost, ive seen hiked prices but the kit retails for 5799 complete and the same turbo kit will go on to make 550whp with an upgrade motor and fuel injectors i honestly believe ive done the best i can to keep the cost down, and i would only be degrading my product if i opt to lower the cost which would require me to use cheaper parts which i myself have seen failed ,just remember anyone can build a kit and get it to work i totally agree,but im in it for the long run meaning i wont build it if it isnt going to last or causes headache to the people who purchase it................................................ .............................

like i said this is just my input and its only fair to comment and not knock stillinhere project i wish you luck on your build , ive had a lot of inquiry about 2g kits but then again if i hear complains about the prices for the 3g kit and if i decide to do a 2g kit im going to build it to last meaning quality parts ,this way my phone will not be ringing constantly with upset customers so for now i opt not to build one until i have dedicated 2g customers that understands how and why i use the parts i use and understand performance cost ........

the clutch kit is priced so low the only profit been made on this clutch is by the manufactures who produces it for us ,most people might say hey thats no ones fault but mine ,then again why pricing the clutch ridiculously high so no one can afford it when i know this clutch will bring the tl alive especially with the turbo kit installed .....

The turbo kit would have been cheaper if the original list as a group buy was kept this would allow me to mass produce the kits which i can get done ,but with everyone off the original list the kit has to priced the way they are sold currently one by one ,if a group buy come around for this pricing can and will be reduced...

wow so much for one comment lol

Last edited by pass427; 03-29-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 PM
I got the Shifts

I have to say I am on rodneys side now. After getting to know him and numerous phone conversations I can say that he isn't ripping anyone off with this kit. I guess I'm a bit more serious considering I spent 2.5k on my swap to gain ~50hp and looking at the turbo kit and it's amazing quality I can say that 5k is a freaking deal for 100-200hp. I'm not going to say it's cheap because i can't actually afford it but i will say it's worth the money.

2g guys spend 4-5k to build strokers and only make 280 ish hp untuned. I know that if the time comes for a build then I will be in Florida at rodneys shop getting a turbo.

Until that time comes I will be purchasing the ecu and supporting rodneys endeavours.

After he told me what his profit margin was I don't even have the heart to complain about price. He is barely making any money off of any of this stuff.

He brought the community what they wanted and I think it's time to support him.

Just look at the clutch kit. Porsche clutches of the same caliber cost more than our cars are worth. And yes this clutch is on par with a high end Porsche aftermarket kit.

These mods aren't for the guy who wants to make hp because he wants to impress his friends. These parts are hardcore components for a hardcore enthusiasts.

Last edited by phee; 03-29-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
I have to say I am on rodneys side now. After getting to know him and numerous phone conversations I can say that he isn't ripping anyone off with this kit. I guess I'm a bit more serious considering I spent 2.5k on my swap to gain ~50hp and looking at the turbo kit and it's amazing quality I can say that 5k is a freaking deal for 100-200hp. I'm not going to say it's cheap because i can't actually afford it but i will say it's worth the money.

2g guys spend 4-5k to build strokers and only make 280 ish hp untuned. I know that if the time comes for a build then I will be in Florida at rodneys shop getting a turbo.

Until that time comes I will be purchasing the ecu and supporting rodneys endeavours.

After he told me what his profit margin was I don't even have the heart to complain about price. He is barely making any money off of any of this stuff.

He brought the community what they wanted and I think it's time to support him.

Just look at the clutch kit. Porsche clutches of the same caliber cost more than our cars are worth. And yes this clutch is on par with a high end Porsche aftermarket kit.

These mods aren't for the guy who wants to make hp because he wants to impress his friends. These parts are hardcore components for a hardcore enthusiasts.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no one understands the term...umm what is it?....damn i forgot....

oh yeah....

PAY TO PLAY
Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Safety Car

Well said Phee. I agree 1000%.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
hey you guyz..you cant do this! dont you know J&R has a patent on the tl turbo!?

On a serious note this is sortof the same direction I'll go..eventually
Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM
I got the Shifts

Atlm5 u should come to Alabama international with us on Friday night.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Umm I'm actually leaving for PC on Saturday and I promised the girl I'd hangout with her before I go so I can't this time but hit me up next time you go. A buncha my friends went to the road atlanta event a couple weekends ago and raced you should head out there next time if you wanna do some real racing But seriously next yall hit up the stip or any other meet Id be down..I just gotta get these PCDs on before I go
Old 04-01-2011, 12:18 PM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
I just read all 3 pages of this thread; wanted to make some comments if you know what i mean!!...lol... but glad to see it all turned out great!!!... I LOVE ACURAZINE!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=rGMYBUo0mfU

^^ holy he'll look at the size of the turbo. I guess this can be considered an attempt w no knowledge. This is not the j n r kit I believe. 346 whp at 5 psi
Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by handsom-hustla
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=rGMYBUo0mfU

^^ holy he'll look at the size of the turbo. I guess this can be considered an attempt w no knowledge. This is not the j n r kit I believe. 346 whp at 5 psi
Link doesn't work but I have seen custom S/C's TL's and TURBO TL's that wasn't comptech or J&R. The thing about J&R is that he has the TL and tests it to the limits and is bringing us very far with knowledge. I just dont believe you that money isn't made..
Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGMYBUo0mfU

Surprisingly.. I don't think that's anyone's ride here. It's also not J&R's kit.. it's a tuning shop up in Ontario Canada. Not surprisingly.. it needs new motor mounts.

Quick Reply: Poor Man's Turbo... Yeah why not