PBR Metalmaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:15 PM
NPB TL FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PBR Metalmaster

Hi guys, I just searched the forum for Hawk HPS, and saw people complaining about noise, and damage to rotors, And i have a second option of PBR Metalmaster..

This forum has no results of PBR metalmaster, and I was wondering if any one had any feedback for these brakes?

I need brakes asap!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ProblemChild514
Hi guys, I just searched the forum for Hawk HPS, and saw people complaining about noise, and damage to rotors, And i have a second option of PBR Metalmaster..

This forum has no results of PBR metalmaster, and I was wondering if any one had any feedback for these brakes?

I need brakes asap!
Brembro or non?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I need brakes asap!
First of all, is ur car 6MT or Auto?

Mostly ppl complaing about HPS are the manual tranny guys, which their cars are equipped with brembo front brakes.. Running HPS on stock brembo rotors will destroy them because they're made of softer material than traditional all steel rotors...its why they worked so well to begin with, along with the brembo pads, also made of soft material.. HPS somewhat of a race pad for the street..they work best when heated, and that requires some good breaking, which ends up screwing ur rotors...if they're not equipped with the right material rotors, that's what happens.. Same thing with EBC. I have yet to get a better response than the stock set up of brembo rotors and pads, but again the reason is, because they're soft material...which is why they don't last to the amount of time some ppl expect them to...just like BMW brakes...they stop incredibly good, but gotta change them every 6 months lol...

HPS noise also is from the same reasons...mis-matching them with rotors, and some cases, improper break-in.

I have them, along with DiscItalia cross drilled/slotted rotors... While they lack the initial response of the stock pads, they grab good..they're not destroying my rotors or making noise...I do some serious braking.

The PBR are made of ceramic re-enforced kevlar...again what rotors are u gonna run these pads with? Here's the thing, while all these fancy composites have the ability to deal much better with the heat and offer good grabbing and stop ur car quicly, but that's for a short period of time...do it one time too many, and u bake them... This goes beyond just "high performance pads". Stiffening ur suspension and wider tires will stop ur car faster with stock brakes than going with diff pads sometimes... I still lean to the stock setup, I just wish the stock rotors were at least slotted or cross drilled or both, to dispense some more heat.... But if u wanna run these pads with stock rotors, I wouldn't do it...or just get a diff set of rotors, stronger material than the stock brembos.

It also all depends on ur driving style.... Sometimes 8 piston calipers with quad pads and 15" rotors on 295 tires wouldn't be enough
Old 08-06-2009, 08:02 PM
NPB TL FTW

automashit non brembo

and im on stock rotors btw
Old 08-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

automashit non brembo

and im on stock rotors btw
Then try them out
Old 08-09-2009, 07:07 PM
NPB TL FTW

so i shouldnt have to worry about replacing my stock rotors?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

that depends on how bad they are...if there's warpage and all that...if they're ground down too much...if they're not bad, u should get them resurfaced before installing the new pads...after resurfacing them, install them along with the new pads.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I used PBR on my old passat. They improved my fade problem, but created WAY more dust.