Painting AEM Tube

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting AEM Tube

Has anyone had success with painting their AEM Tube. If so, what paint did you use and what was the process. I'm thinking of painting mine a glossy black to match the engine bay. Currently have the blue one. Please post pics.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:15 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Painting over anodizing will be problematic. You will need to make sure the surface is properly etched and prepared to accept the paint before you spray. I might even suggest, other than buying another one that is black already, sanding all the anodizing off before you proceed...but may still be problematic. You might think about taking it to a good powder coater and see what they think?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
You do not have to etch anodized aluminum before you paint it. I just happen to be extremely familiar with aluminum, anodizing and painting from actual detail design on these type of components on current commercial and military aircraft. I am well familiar with MIL-A-8625. You should use a primer and then paint with paint suitable for the underhood temperature environment. I'm sure automotive engine paint will be fine. It is SOP to paint ONLY anodized or iridited MIL-C-5541 aluminum never bare. Although for a automotive application the environment is somewhat less demanding than a F-18 E/F you would be fine. However, since you have some corrosion prevention scheme on the existing tube it would illogical to remove it. You would be amazed what primer does. If you told someone in the industry that you were going to etch anodized aluminum prior to painting they would be quite puzzled.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:01 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoot2Thrill
You do not have to etch anodized aluminum before you paint it. I just happen to be extremely familiar with aluminum, anodizing and painting from actual detail design on these type of components on current commercial and military aircraft. I am well familiar with MIL-A-8625. You should use a primer and then paint with paint suitable for the underhood temperature environment. I'm sure automotive engine paint will be fine. It is SOP to paint ONLY anodized or iridited MIL-C-5541 aluminum never bare. Although for a automotive application the environment is somewhat less demanding than a F-18 E/F you would be fine. However, since you have some corrosion prevention scheme on the existing tube it would illogical to remove it. You would be amazed what primer does. If you told someone in the industry that you were going to etch anodized aluminum prior to painting they would be quite puzzled.
Now that sounds like the most qualified advise you can get right here!! No kidding....dang.....they used to actually strip the anodizing off of stuff all the time at this shop I worked at before they painted it. The main problem they had with painting over anodizing...was the paint didnt want to adhere right and was very brittle and would crack or scratch off very easily. Even when they used self etching primers....they ran into probs after time....so they just started stripping them totally and sanding then priming....you know....the regular hub-bub! But you make VERY good points here....and obviously outqualify me by far on this subject...as I havent been in the body business for many years. This is why I love this place....learn something every day! Great post Shoot2Thrill! This is something I have to look into more (curiosity!) and I stand corrected and educated also at the same time! Thanks!

So you are saying it is cool just to prime and paint...right over anodizing and it will be all good...right? I have several parts that are anodized around my garage from my motorcycle....that I would really rather have painted....so just a regular primer and a paint with heat tollerance is good and all I really need? No need for all the hub-bub that I was thinking I was going to have to go though? I was figuring on having to have these parts powder coated in order to get them the color I wanted.....this is very good for me!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Perfect thread! I'm painting my CAI next week...guess I'll have to get primer, too...good to know.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Injen in black.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:03 AM
Instructor

I order a red AEM CAI and used 600 grit paper to scuff off the anodized red paint and then painted it with semi-gloss black high temp header paint. Hope that helps you out. Might be able to post a picture up soon.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Instructor

do you guys have some pics>? i wanna paitn some thins in my engine bay also!
thanks