Outlaw engineering thermoblock spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outlaw engineering thermoblock spacers

Does anyone have these? were the gains from them noticable or not? are they worht the $95?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More trq, thats about it. Not too much though. Worth 100 but not too much more. I should of did a dyno before and after alot of my mods to know exact #'s.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Racer

yes.
better throttle response mostly, perhaps a slight increase in midrange performance.very noticeable on very hot days. because of when i installed it i can't say if there were any significant gains in colder weather.
worth the $100., and easy to install.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Intermediate

who do u purchese this through?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gucci_kid
.. what he said
Old 02-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Originally Posted by gucci_kid
http://www.outlawengineering.com/index.html
Old 02-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Subscribed
Old 02-11-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
So what do these 'Spacers' do? I've heard about them but don't know what they do. Can someone inform me?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
So what do these 'Spacers' do? I've heard about them but don't know what they do. Can someone inform me?

Thanks
from the first page of their website:
What are ThermoBlok spacers and what do they do?

Outlaw Engineering ThermoBlok spacers are thermal insulating replacements for your stock intake manifold and throttlebody gaskets. Made from a heat blocking phenolic laminate, ThermoBlok spacers increase power from your engine by keeping the intake cooler.

Key benefits:

» Produces a cooler intake manifold and intake charge resulting in MORE POWER
» A cooler intake charge also reduces the tendency for
detonation, meaning ignition timing can be advanced for
MORE POWER
» Almost invisible modification, looks stock for the stealth factor
» Better gas mileage
» Replaces stock gaskets
» Reusable over and over
» No undesirable side effects

Want to know more? Go to our "TECH" section.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how are the gains from these? and how much do u think install is?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Racer

Ordered mine Thanks!
Old 02-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
how are the gains from these? and how much do u think install is?
from further down on the first webpage:
The following dyno plot was taken from a 1994 Ford Probe GT with a 2.5L V-6 engine. The only modification done to the car between runs was the installation of ThermoBlok spacers.

This plot shows an average gain of 5-7 horsepower and 9-11 ft-lbs of torque across the powerband. Each engine and combination of mods reacts slightly differently, but on average, Outlaw Engineering ThermoBlok spacers result in a 3-5% gain across the entire powerband with peaks as high as 10 horsepower and 12 ft-lbs of torque.

install should be less than 2 hours labor.
this is a driveability improvement; it's not always about the horsepower...
Old 02-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
They work pretty well.

Be prepared to take off a lot of bolts, nuts and hoses, though.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Pro

It was a real bitch trying to get the stock gaskets off nice and clean. Try to use some carb cleaner and some patience and scrape all that stuff off.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I love mine,installed them the same day i installed -pulleys,got all the power at once
Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Real Estate Investor

just ordered my thermoblock too
Old 02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Advanced

does the speed difference add to the AT's also? cuz i heard from the g35 forums dat a thermoblock spacer wont make a chaneg when added to a automatic car....iunno.....would love to get it done......
Old 02-07-2007, 06:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
did anyone have DIY on this mod?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 AM
OOOOOHHHHHH

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
did anyone have DIY on this mod?
They come with very easy to follow instructions. Only took me about 45 mins but my car only had 2000 miles on it so I didn't have to do much cleaning to remove the old gaskets.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by crzydrifter
does the speed difference add to the AT's also? cuz i heard from the g35 forums dat a thermoblock spacer wont make a chaneg when added to a automatic car....iunno.....would love to get it done......
Is this statement true? Does anyone with an AT w/ the spacers want to chime in?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The gain for the AT vs the MT should be the same. The transmission does not determine how the engine reacts to the Mod. You may not be able to feel it as well with a AT vs MT, but there is still a gain. From what some of the other TLers said, it makes it so you can stand to touch the hood during the summer. A cooler air mass will help the car in general. I have not yet done this mod on mine, but did have the Hondata gasket on my Prelude.

This is something that is worth the $100. Quick, easy and straight forward mod.

Jason
Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Works for me on my 5AT
Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
8 second & 150 mph member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have a set if anyone is looking for them, pm me if interested
Old 02-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Racer

any info you could possibly want is on their website (including a basic physics and chemistry lesson to explain why and how it all works)... they even have dyno charts for a TL type-S if you look around... mine should be here by... can't wait install them...

minimal gains or not, $100 for a little more push from my engine, coupled with the fact that it can increase the engine's lifespan, makes it well worth it to me... Especially when you consider how something pricier like exhaust or headers won't give you quite as much bang for your buck... installing them is just a step in the process of making your car what you want it to be, but not something that may deserve an entire chapter in the book on the story of your car like when you do bigger mods to it, if that makes sense...
Old 02-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Real Estate Investor

Originally Posted by RYAN97812

man just paid full price for mine!!
Old 02-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Ok.....these thermal spacers are not designed to actually add WHP. They block the heat from soaking into the intake manifold, becasue the intake mani is bolted directly to the heads. This heat transfers easily to the manifold heating the manifold up close to 180deg F. This effect is called heatsoak. It causes the engine to loose power due to the increase in IAT(intake air temp). Now, when i say it does not add power, i mean the power your engine would make when it's cold. As most of you know, the colder the air, the denser and more compact the air mass. This obviously adds power. But as the intake manifold and everything else regarding the intake system gets warmer and warmer from the heatsoak(especially when running the engine hard) you loose the power you were making when these intake pieces were cool. These spacers are nothing more than thermal barriers.

I'm actually testing one from Hondata as we speak. It will be cheaper and does the same thing. Hondata has been making intake mani gasket thermal barriers from many many years now for many popular Honda engines.

CJ
Old 02-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamXRSX
Ok.....these thermal spacers are not designed to actually add WHP. They block the heat from soaking into the intake manifold, becasue the intake mani is bolted directly to the heads. This heat transfers easily to the manifold heating the manifold up close to 180deg F. This effect is called heatsoak. It causes the engine to loose power due to the increase in IAT(intake air temp). Now, when i say it does not add power, i mean the power your engine would make when it's cold. As most of you know, the colder the air, the denser and more compact the air mass. This obviously adds power. But as the intake manifold and everything else regarding the intake system gets warmer and warmer from the heatsoak(especially when running the engine hard) you loose the power you were making when these intake pieces were cool. These spacers are nothing more than thermal barriers.

I'm actually testing one from Hondata as we speak. It will be cheaper and does the same thing. Hondata has been making intake mani gasket thermal barriers from many many years now for many popular Honda engines.

CJ
I had the Hondata version on my Prelude (H22A4). I added it at the same time I did a complete head rebuild.

Allowing for a cooler airmass to enter the engine allows for the timing to be advanced by the ECU in the car, this intern allows the engine to make more power. When the engine is hot and the intake airmass is hot, the engine retards the timing, thus reducing power. This will be more evident during the warmer months of the year.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
I had the Hondata version on my Prelude (H22A4). I added it at the same time I did a complete head rebuild.

Allowing for a cooler airmass to enter the engine allows for the timing to be advanced by the ECU in the car, this intern allows the engine to make more power. When the engine is hot and the intake airmass is hot, the engine retards the timing, thus reducing power. This will be more evident during the warmer months of the year.
You are somewhat correct, but............

The ECU does advance timing somewhat from the cooler IAT(known as Air Temp Compensation), and this does factor into the equation, but remember this. The IAT sensor is before the intake manifold, therefore, it cannot read whats going on after it. The real reason for the additional power is the cold, dense air. Of course, this cooler charge will cause the engine to run a little leaner, which the ECU will account for by adding fuel to keep the AFR correct.

Also, the reason why the ECU can advance ignition timing in the Air Temp Compensation tables is because the cooler air also raises the detonation threshold. This allows the ignition timing to be advanced, which makes more power and lowers EGT's. In a boosted engine, this(lower IAT's) would also allow for additional boost pressures, but would change the engines take on advanced igntion timing. Usually ignition timing must be retarded with addition of more boost, regardless of IAT.(a little boosted tech thrown in there).

CJ
Old 02-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Real Estate Investor

just got my set in. I will hopefully dyno my car first and then install them at a friends shop.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neef
just got my set in. I will hopefully dyno my car first and then install them at a friends shop.
cool... let us know what happens... and make sure you pay attention to engine and air temperature... if TeamXRSX is right (and judging by his credentials, he probably is), there wouldn't be a noticable difference until the engine's hot

hey CJ, just trying to get this straight... so with all the compensation the ECU does (A-F Ratio, advanced ignition timing, etc.) there is somewhat of a difference in hp and torque when comparing cars with and without spacers, but how significant of a difference depends on outside air temp, is that kinda what you're getting at?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by speedbawlinTL
cool... let us know what happens... and make sure you pay attention to engine and air temperature... if TeamXRSX is right (and judging by his credentials, he probably is), there wouldn't be a noticable difference until the engine's hot

hey CJ, just trying to get this straight... so with all the compensation the ECU does (A-F Ratio, advanced ignition timing, etc.) there is somewhat of a difference in hp and torque when comparing cars with and without spacers, but how significant of a difference depends on outside air temp, is that kinda what you're getting at?
What im saying is this, these spacers allow you to keep the power your engine already naturally makes when it's cold. The main reason for the additional effeciency is the colder, denser intake charge. The minimal ignition advance is only incidental and effects minimal.

Besides, if the ignition timing is too advanced and causes the knock sensor to hear knock, the ECU retards ignition timing a few degrees at a time until the knock is no longer there, then advances it again so long as there is no knock heard by the sensor.

Side note: the knock sensor is just a finely tuned microphone that is tuned to hear the frequencies that knock(detonation/pre-ignition) produces.

CJ
Old 02-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Real Estate Investor

seemd right...
Old 02-18-2007, 10:07 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RYAN97812
I'm interested. Email me at mardreracing@hotmail.com
Old 02-18-2007, 10:27 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by againstallodds1
Place is about 10 minutes from my house....lol. I tried to buy some from him before by just driving in to get em (being I am just up the road?) and was told that it MUST be mail ordered. Was VERY weird. Wondering if they are anything more than an R&D unit.....and sub the product to be made elsewhere. Not sure really.

Anyway...yes...a bit better throttle response was about all I noticed...worth it though. Definately do it.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Does this fit the TL type S??
Old 10-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just put it on my 200 TL type S hybrid and it works great. Still not sure if I should put the one on the manifold that goes to the SC elbow as it makes it line up funny. They say you should do both. Does anyone have the supercharger with both thermal spacers installed?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Old MT TL

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
wowowowowowwww such an old ass thread...so how are these holding up after 3+ years of having them on the TL????!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by vic06b
wowowowowowwww such an old ass thread...so how are these holding up after 3+ years of having them on the TL????!
since they have no actual purpose besides being there, I am guessing probably look as good as new
Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I have had mine for 5 years. I had my intake manifold off approx 8 months ago while doing some work. The Outlaw spacer still looked like new. The 5 year old Outlaw spacer is still on my car. I have no plans to remove it from the car.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 PM
4th Gear

I know this is a very old thread but I wanted to throw my $.02 in.....Installed mine day before yesterday along with new NGK Iridium IX plugs (old plugs had 70k).....between the ThermoBlok installation and the new plugs the car runs a lot better....I was surprised as to the acceleration, the smoothness and the feeling for more hp/tqe....I did the whole tamale...cleaned the EGR etc. .... and I took my time......the end result was everything came out just fine.......I have an 02 TL Type S bought new Sept 17,2001......with 70700 miles.....b

Quick Reply: Outlaw engineering thermoblock spacers