NGK Iridium 6994 - Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NGK Iridium 6994 - Plugs

Hey all,

Just found a great deal, if anyone is on the market for new OEM plugs...

1. Go to advanceautoparts.com and search "6994". Should bring this up.
2. Add 6 to your cart.
3. Enter promo code: P20 This takes 20% off the total.
4. PICK IT UP at the nearest advance auto to you and you save on shipping too.

I just paid $8 a pop plus tax. Total for 6 = $51.85

Cheapest anywhere else I can find is $9.85 each on rockauto.com PLUS SHIPPING.

Enjoy
Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 AM
2011 M37x

nice find!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
where was this when I changed my plugs 3 weeks ago lol
Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Nice find, any idea how long this deal is going on for?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its 56 bucks shipped all day on ebay. just search ngk 6994...
Old 08-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lilsid112
Nice find, any idea how long this deal is going on for?
The site where I found the code said "P20" expired on June 5th 2010...

Apparently they extended it though.

Just confirmed what 4play said, below. $57.95 shipped on ebay. However, I'd search "6 ngk 6994".
Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
use code big25 for $25 off $60, i added something small (a tire pressure gauge to get it above $60), so less than $40 for 6 plugs , will pick these up tomorrow. the code said it expire 8/11, but i just tried it and still work. how long can these plugs run for before having to change them again?

thanks.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by kthai417
how long can these plugs run for before having to change them again?
thanks.
100,000 miles, same as OE.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Instructor

use code big25 for $25 off $60, i added something small (a tire pressure gauge to get it above $60), so less than $40 for 6 plugs , will pick these up tomorrow. the code said it expire 8/11, but i just tried it and still work. how long can these plugs run for before having to change them again?

thanks.

now THAT is an amazing deal!... ordering mine now
Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM
RIP RBP

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanx for the hook up!
I had to make 2 purchases, the stores around me only had 4. one store i got 4 and the other 2
Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saved about $30. thanks
Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Just replaced my plugs. First time they were changed in 96,000 miles. Look "normal" to me. Any thoughts?

NGK Iridium 6994 - Plugs-mtpqt.jpg
Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 110,1000 Kilometers on my TL, Spark plugs have NEVER been changed. Should they be changed? are there plugs that create more HP/TQ Better gas mileage?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:11 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

thanks.
Dude, thanks for the hookup! Just picked up all 6 spark plugs for $40 and some change
Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Cruisin'

Why not just get some cheap plugs and change them more often? I'd rather change them more often just because I wouldn't want to leave plugs in aluminum heads for that long.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by frame
Why not just get some cheap plugs and change them more often? I'd rather change them more often just because I wouldn't want to leave plugs in aluminum heads for that long.

Any thoughts?
you can do that, if you want your engine to run like crap.

I never saw this post when i did mine, I purchased 3 cans of seafoam, set of spark plugs and a few othe things. I ended up paying $6 per plug and $4-something for each can of seafoam. It was a pretty good buy. They run online specials like this all the time.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jokerman826
you can do that, if you want your engine to run like crap.

I never saw this post when i did mine, I purchased 3 cans of seafoam, set of spark plugs and a few othe things. I ended up paying $6 per plug and $4-something for each can of seafoam. It was a pretty good buy. They run online specials like this all the time.
As long as you get the right heat range, why would it run like crap?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
hellz yeah ordering mine tomorrow!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
As long as you get the right heat range, why would it run like crap?
search is your friend on here, look up all the people who have tried to run other plugs, even ones that were supposed to be better than the NGK's.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jokerman826
search is your friend on here, look up all the people who have tried to run other plugs, even ones that were supposed to be better than the NGK's.
thanks for the heads up. for $60 even every 50k, its not too bad.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:17 PM
08 WDP ASPEC TLS 6SPD MT

awesome used the big25 promo code...just added a black ice air freshener to get it over 60 bucks.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Any thoughts?
You're exactly right and this is what I do. Regular plugs at 40,000 mile intervals. I do one heat range colder due to the detonation tendencies.

Leaving plugs in an aluminum head for that long is scary. I've seen them remove the threads from the head before. Plus you get to see what's going on inside the combustion chamber more often.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Intermediate

nice
Old 11-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by samjcg
nice
Really??? You've said the exact same thing in all 5 of your posts. The new generation of trolls suck. Not even funny.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Instructor

So its not beneficial to get High End spark plugs?? in reference to HP and gas mileage..
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by supra98
So its not beneficial to get High End spark plugs?? in reference to HP and gas mileage..
Not even a little. Use iridiums if you plan on following the factory interval. Regular plugs will work fine if you change every 40,000 or less. I personally run regular plugs in mine and have for a long time.

Gimmick plugs with more than one electrode, an air gap, or whatever are junk.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Not even a little. Use iridiums if you plan on following the factory interval. Regular plugs will work fine if you change every 40,000 or less. I personally run regular plugs in mine and have for a long time.

Gimmick plugs with more than one electrode, an air gap, or whatever are junk.
hmmmm... not being argumentative, more so inquisitive yet skeptical of your claims.

Honda designed the motor/working parts as the plugs to be used together for a reason, I am sure they burn hotter, or there IS a diff. between the cheapy plugs and the expensive iridium plugs, other wise Honda would follow suit and follow your stance on which plugs to use and cut costs, vs. using a more expensive plug.

Where does your info come from? can you prove that using the cheap plugs makes no diff? and if so why isnt Honda as smart as you?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OntheJob
hmmmm... not being argumentative, more so inquisitive yet skeptical of your claims.

Honda designed the motor/working parts as the plugs to be used together for a reason, I am sure they burn hotter, or there IS a diff. between the cheapy plugs and the expensive iridium plugs, other wise Honda would follow suit and follow your stance on which plugs to use and cut costs, vs. using a more expensive plug.

Where does your info come from? can you prove that using the cheap plugs makes no diff? and if so why isnt Honda as smart as you?
I know it from years of research and I've been running normal plugs for years in the TL. The current ones have about 40,000 miles and are about to get swapped out. I think I paid $12 total for them and the performance is every bit as good as the iridiums.

Plugs don't "burn" hotter or cooler, their purpose is to make a spark and that's it. A hotter plug will run hotter (the body and center electrode) but that has nothing to do with the spark. You want the plug to run hot enough that you don't get carbon buildup on the plug but not so hot that it causes pre-ignition. The heat range is just that. The material it's made of has nothing to do with heat range. You can get a normal plug that's hotter than an iridium plug.

The purpose of iridium plugs is to extend the plug change interval, that's it.

Iridium is extremely resistant to spark erosion so you don't have to worry about the gap widening over time or just burning off completely. It's a worthwhile investment for a big car company so they can advertise the car's first tune-up is at 105,000 miles. I will never go this long on a plug change on an aluminum headed engine. If you've ever had the plug rip the threads out of the heads when you pull them out you will understand.

I've tried all of the gimmick plugs starting way back with splitfires. I've put plugs through some of the worse abuse in the GN at over 100hp per cylinder at 30psi boost. Plain old regular plugs always held up to abuse better. Extreme cylinder pressures are a true test of a plug, it will show their faults very quickly. Some of the gimmick plugs flat out wouldn't fire under high boost. Many made it more prone to detonation. While they won't do the same in the TL you can bet they deliver a weaker spark and will be more likely to misfire.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
because Honda gets advertising dollars.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phee
because Honda gets advertising dollars.
LOL.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I tried those Zex plugs and they were total junk. Going back to a standard iridium made a huge difference.

In our TL, what is the purpose of the resistor? In the old days it was for noise suppression but I read that it could be for the electronics.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KN_TL
I tried those Zex plugs and they were total junk. Going back to a standard iridium made a huge difference.

In our TL, what is the purpose of the resistor? In the old days it was for noise suppression but I read that it could be for the electronics.
It's as you stated. Noise suppression for the electronics.

It's good to have the turbo TL around. Whatever works in your car will work in a NA TL. IMO, you will find a plug's weakness long before a NA TL will.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

I know it from years of research and I've been running normal plugs for years in the TL. The current ones have about 40,000 miles and are about to get swapped out. I think I paid $12 total for them and the performance is every bit as good as the iridiums.

Plugs don't "burn" hotter or cooler, their purpose is to make a spark and that's it. A hotter plug will run hotter (the body and center electrode) but that has nothing to do with the spark. You want the plug to run hot enough that you don't get carbon buildup on the plug but not so hot that it causes pre-ignition. The heat range is just that. The material it's made of has nothing to do with heat range. You can get a normal plug that's hotter than an iridium plug.

The purpose of iridium plugs is to extend the plug change interval, that's it.

Iridium is extremely resistant to spark erosion so you don't have to worry about the gap widening over time or just burning off completely. It's a worthwhile investment for a big car company so they can advertise the car's first tune-up is at 105,000 miles. I will never go this long on a plug change on an aluminum headed engine. If you've ever had the plug rip the threads out of the heads when you pull them out you will understand.

I've tried all of the gimmick plugs starting way back with splitfires. I've put plugs through some of the worse abuse in the GN at over 100hp per cylinder at 30psi boost. Plain old regular plugs always held up to abuse better. Extreme cylinder pressures are a true test of a plug, it will show their faults very quickly. Some of the gimmick plugs flat out wouldn't fire under high boost. Many made it more prone to detonation. While they won't do the same in the TL you can bet they deliver a weaker spark and will be more likely to misfire.
1.what was your research? was it your opinion on butt dyno or the look of a plug or some actual research which yielded actual information?
2."I think I paid $12 total for them and the performance is every bit as good as the iridiums." Have you put the car on a dyno or air/fuel meter to confirm this claim? or is this your OPINION? so far you still have not produced evidence other then opinion.
3. "Plugs don't "burn" hotter or cooler, their purpose is to make a spark and that's it. A hotter plug will run hotter (the body and center electrode) but that has nothing to do with the spark." ----seems completely contradictory to me, please expand to help me understand cause it dosent sound like actual evidence

4. Iridium is extremely resistant to spark erosion so you don't have to worry about the gap widening over time or just burning off completely. It's a worthwhile investment for a big car company so they can advertise the car's first tune-up is at 105,000 miles. I will never go this long on a plug change on an aluminum headed engine. If you've ever had the plug rip the threads out of the heads when you pull them out you will understand."----This I agree with but which still leaves my PERFORMANCE RESULTS/PROOF QUESTION of what seems to be your opinion based post about the lack of performance difference. where is the PROOF of your claims to show its not opinion based?

saying "I have experience isnt proof"...., also I doubt honda would use plugs way more expensive PLUGS to advertise extended periods of needed maintenance, and how can you prove that? Whats to say if that was the case they wouldnt just use the "cheaper" plugs and tell owners to change plugs more frequently effectively passing on the cost savings and increasing profit from reduced costs on Hondas behalf.

Again my main stance is can you prove that there is no performance loss with a cheap plug that indeed either runs colder or hotter as you made in the contradictory quote above.. if so then I will put the cheaper plugs in, however if not, there is a reason there are more expensive plugs, just as there is a reason there are more expensive synthetic motor oils, more expensive aftermarket parts, more expensive tires, etc... all yielding A PERFORMANCE GAIN OR LOSS VS THE CHEAPER ONES. I am asking all this to gain knowledge on wether there are benefits of performance on spending the extra $7 per plug more.

are you saying that we should inform all the F-1 teams, and ferrari manufactures and high end car makers that they should stop using better quality plugs and just use $1 plugs?

Last edited by OntheJob; 11-10-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by supra98
IMHO dont change or skimp out on an additional cost for your 4-6 thousand dollar motor just to save a few bucks based on what someone without any ACTUAL EVIDENCE TELLS YOU ON THE INTERNET. Until you see proof, protect your investment.

Last edited by OntheJob; 11-10-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Team Owner

1.what was your research? was it your opinion on butt dyno or the look of a plug or some actual research which yielded actual information?
2."I think I paid $12 total for them and the performance is every bit as good as the iridiums." Have you put the car on a dyno or air/fuel meter to confirm this claim? or is this your OPINION? so far you still have not produced evidence other then opinion.
Son of a bitch! A plug does not affect AF. Why the hell would I put it on an AF "meter"? I have done extensive testing of all kinds of plugs on the dyno and at the track. As long as a plug is producing a strong enough spark at the right time, you will have no measurable variation from one to the other. The difference between two correct plugs is not measurable on the dyno. The plug ignites the mixture, the end. Even Ford's laser ignition with multiple ignition points throughout the combustion chamber admittedly does almost nothing for power but rather for emissions and this is way better than any spark ignition out there.
3. "Plugs don't "burn" hotter or cooler, their purpose is to make a spark and that's it. A hotter plug will run hotter (the body and center electrode) but that has nothing to do with the spark." ----seems completely contradictory to me, please expand to help me understand cause it dosent sound like actual evidence
A spark is a spark is a spark. It's going to be the same spark whether the electrodes are iridium or plain copper...period. The heat range refers to the body of the plug as I said. You should try reading everything I write. If it runs too cold, carbon builds up and the plug fouls out. If it runs too hot, the metal of the plug itself will ignite the AF mixture before the spark ignites it. How about taking a more humble approach and realizing you don't understand everything instead of trying to call me out.
4. Iridium is extremely resistant to spark erosion so you don't have to worry about the gap widening over time or just burning off completely. It's a worthwhile investment for a big car company so they can advertise the car's first tune-up is at 105,000 miles. I will never go this long on a plug change on an aluminum headed engine. If you've ever had the plug rip the threads out of the heads when you pull them out you will understand."----This I agree with but which still leaves my PERFORMANCE RESULTS/PROOF QUESTION of what seems to be your opinion based post about the lack of performance difference. where is the PROOF of your claims to show its not opinion based?

saying "I have experience isnt proof"...., also I doubt honda would use plugs way more expensive PLUGS to advertise extended periods of needed maintenance, and how can you prove that? Whats to say if that was the case they wouldnt just use the "cheaper" plugs and tell owners to change plugs more frequently effectively passing on the cost savings and increasing profit from reduced costs on Hondas behalf.
My experience is my proof. I don't need Google or someone else to tell me what I've experienced. Unlike you, I get out there and try things. I don't have to rely on others or manufacturers recommendations. Testing these f-ing things on the dyno does not make it an opinion, get that through your head. Again, just because Google does not say it does not mean it didn't happen. I have been lucky to see tons of high level testing from teams with a lot more money than you and me and it follows exactly what I've experienced. An opinion would be " I doubt honda would use plugs way more expensive PLUGS to advertise extended periods of needed maintenance" which btw happens to be your quote. Good for you but that's the way it works in the automotive world.
Again my main stance is can you prove that there is no performance loss with a cheap plug that indeed either runs colder or hotter as you made in the contradictory quote above..
There is nothing contradictory. Your attitude is starting to get annoying. You need to slow down and read better. Research plug heat ranges and then come back to this thread.

An expensive plug does not run hotter and a cheap plug does not run cooler. WTF? A plug is assigned a heat range no matter how much it costs.

if so then I will put the cheaper plugs in, however if not, there is a reason there are more expensive plugs, just as there is a reason there are more expensive synthetic motor oils, more expensive aftermarket parts, more expensive tires, etc... all yielding A PERFORMANCE GAIN OR LOSS VS THE CHEAPER ONES. I am asking all this to gain knowledge on wether there are benefits of performance on spending the extra $7 per plug more.
There is no loss, no gain from going to a cheaper traditional plug. As I stated a long time ago, you pay the extra $7 per plug so you don't have to change them as often.

I summed it up last time. If you want to go with the factory change interval, go with iridiums. If you don't mind changing more often, go with the cheaper ones. End of story.
are you saying that we should inform all the F-1 teams, and ferrari manufactures and high end car makers that they should stop using better quality plugs and just use $1 plugs?
WTF? F1 is a completely different animal. They don't use a traditional ground electrode in order to survive the extreme conditions and to completely unshroud the plug.

However you would be surprised how many 1,000+ hp cars out there use a regular off the shelf plug. Even my father's near 1,000hp GN uses off the shelf AC Delco CR42 plugs that your average work truck uses. If there was performance to be gained, he would spend the money to gain it from a plug.

To sum up, I could give a shit what you run. Google the most expensive plugs you can find and install them in your TL and get back to us with the amazing mpg and power.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Team Owner

IMHO dont change or skimp out on an additional cost for your 4-6 thousand dollar motor just to save a few bucks based on what someone without any ACTUAL EVIDENCE TELLS YOU ON THE INTERNET. Until you see proof, protect your investment.
You're a complete idiot. Don't go around telling people a spark plug will cost them a motor. You need to be banned for saying stuff like this. You have zero comprehension of anything automotive. Go away troll.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

You're a complete idiot. Don't go around telling people a spark plug will cost them a motor. You need to be banned for saying stuff like this. You have zero comprehension of anything automotive. Go away troll.

So your telling me detonation from improper plugs which could cause piston failure isnt possible?

And why are you getting personal "idiot" thats offensive, not to mention if you cant have an intelligent debate without the name calling them maybe you should be banned.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Team Owner

So your telling me detonation from improper plugs which could cause piston failure isnt possible?
With the wrong heat range which has nothing to do with iridium vs plain jane. Stick to the topic at hand instead of trying to win an argument at all costs.
And why are you getting personal "idiot" thats offensive, not to mention if you cant have an intelligent debate without the name calling them maybe you should be banned.

Because this is not an intelligent debate. This is an automotive tragedy. You may think it's a good debate based on your knowledge level but in reality you're just annoying. It's fine to not know much but when you think you know everything and you come on here trying to call me out I could care less about helping you. As I said get whatever you want, base your plug choice on price alone, I don't care.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Son of a bitch! How about taking a more humble approach and realizing you don't understand everything instead of trying to call me out.

My experience is my proof. I don't need Google or someone else to tell me what I've experienced. Unlike you, I get out there and try things. I don't have to rely on others or manufacturers recommendations.

Your attitude is starting to get annoying.

An expensive plug does not run hotter and a cheap plug does not run cooler. WTF? A plug is assigned a heat range no matter how much it costs.

However you would be surprised how many 1,000+ hp cars out there use a regular off the shelf plug. Even my father's near 1,000hp GN uses off the shelf AC Delco CR42 plugs that your average work truck uses. If there was performance to be gained, he would spend the money to gain it from a plug.

To sum up, I could give a shit what you run. Google the most expensive plugs you can find and install them in your TL and get back to us with the amazing mpg and power.
1. There is no calling out, not sure where you got that from.
2. Experience is not proof sir, proof is if the glove fits or not, if the dna is the same, if power was yielding or lost, proof is hard evidence that your claims telling people to put cheap plugs in their cars against Hondas advice is not dangerous. All I am trying to do is have an open forum for welcome debate on an issue weather there truly is a diff. or not.
3. The compression and motors are diff. from your GN vs. a high compression honda motor, I am trying to determine if you understand that, and that a cheaper plug although heat range may be the same, because of the materials used in production actually produce a better spark.
4. If there were issues with a cars ignition and for the sake of this debate the plug topic, the air/fuel mixture coming out of the pipe would tell you wether your too lean or rich... not sure if you knew how dyno's and air/fuel "meter" or whatever you would like to refer to it as, actually works. Cause thats what it tells you.

Above you stated if a plug if too hot or cold it could ignite the mixture before the spark... well the "spark" works off of "timing" and if you put the wrong plug in a car, or a cheap one that wont perform as good as the others as recommended by Honda you could have "detonation" which does over time, cause piston failure... so tell me again why I should be banned for telling someone to protect their investment?

Maybe the GN forums or most people or I should say "sheep" are too blind to think for themselves, but opinions are not fact, nor is experience.

Last edited by OntheJob; 11-10-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

With the wrong heat range which has nothing to do with iridium vs plain jane. Stick to the topic at hand instead of trying to win an argument at all costs.

Because this is not an intelligent debate. This is an automotive tragedy. You may think it's a good debate based on your knowledge level but in reality you're just annoying. It's fine to not know much but when you think you know everything and you come on here trying to call me out I could care less about helping you. As I said get whatever you want, base your plug choice on price alone, I don't care.
1. that was one of my points
2. I dont think I know everything, and in fact the person who happens to claim on every single performance based post, with use of proposed FACT is you, not me sir. So the know it all is who again?
3. If you re-read what I have been writing the debate is a hypothetical debate aimed at your opinion to help me understand why and how. If you cant comprehend reading sentences then I cant help that... however I didnt mean to annoy you.... Im simply having a hypothetical debate on your opinion, and not trying to discredit your experience. Its called objective reasoning... get an education and you would learn that.

Last edited by OntheJob; 11-10-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Quick Reply: NGK Iridium 6994 - Plugs