New Dyno run, gone bad!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
New Dyno run, gone bad!

So, I made it to the dyno, and smth went wrong, the car started to overheat, before it was even ran, just simply riding 4th gear at about 3000 rpm trying to get some readings, the temp gauge started going up.

managed to get it to cool down, by adding water, bcs it lost some due to overflow out the reservoir...

just so i could at least get one run, i pushed the tuner for it...even though with problems and it didnt put down its full potential , it managed to put down 385 whp. I missed the torque numbers because the focus was on the problems and not the numbers..but i should get a graph soon...and also the meth injection nozzle leaned out at one point, so i needed to go to the next bigger one, but as i said, the problems stopped me from going all the way

this was from 3.2L- 9.5:1 compression forged pistons (stock is 11.0:1) , gas nitrided rings, IM heat shield, 8.5 psi (SC), water/meth injection, Injen CAI, custom downpipes (cat deletes), 3" electric exhaust cut out, (the rest of the exhaust doesnt matter)

and heres just a sound video on the dyno...... I dare you to blast ur speakers lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMb-LvLt8UM
Old 07-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Man that sucks.. but still good numbers! Car sounds GOOD!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
looks good.. where do you get it dyno'd???
Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
dat suks bro.. funny is that i think ive seen u rollin b4 here in NYC
Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea it did suck...I've dealt with so much shit with it, it doesn't budge me anymore lol..
Also, I forgot to mention the fact that I'm not even tuned "YET".

Its very possible you've seen me, the car is pretty famous..I wish I had half its fame lmao ... Where u at? I'm in queens
Old 07-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice numbers! And to think I was happy with my 293whp.

Hope everything works out for you!
Old 07-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by apnorm
Nice numbers! And to think I was happy with my 293whp.

Hope everything works out for you!
Thanks man, ill try and make it right...just wanted to squeeze as much as I could out of that expensive blow drier lol
Old 07-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Shyne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow nice numbers, congrats. Hope you can break 400
Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLheaven
Wow nice numbers, congrats. Hope you can break 400
thanks bud...thats what my intention is... had I not lowered compression, it would've made 400 easily, being that i wouldn't have ran into the problems i did,

but with lack of tuning, and exessive heat from the SC, at 11.0:1 compression, i would've ran into a lot of problems... just like i did twice at stock boost
Old 07-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will never get sick of that whine! w00t!... so how areyou going to get it properly tuned? Man... on the fence... get the S/C now and put loads of work into it... or wait for the turbo and put loads of work into it as well... Is this your daily driver, Opel?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gatdammit
I will never get sick of that whine! w00t!... so how areyou going to get it properly tuned? Man... on the fence... get the S/C now and put loads of work into it... or wait for the turbo and put loads of work into it as well... Is this your daily driver, Opel?
yes it is man....thats why its been hard for me to accomplish certain things... i can't leave the car apart in pieces lol otherwise i would've squeezed every single pony out of that 3.2 possible
Old 07-19-2009, 06:00 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
Yea it did suck...I've dealt with so much shit with it, it doesn't budge me anymore lol..
Also, I forgot to mention the fact that I'm not even tuned "YET".

Its very possible you've seen me, the car is pretty famous..I wish I had half its fame lmao ... Where u at? I'm in queens
LOL, i know what you mean

BTW, what are you using for engine management? i think i read it somewhere, but forgot and what kind of fuel system upgrades did you do?? anyways, good job with the car. id like to see what it can do with a MP90 and a good tune O.0

i still have to go back and get retuned myself, havent had a chance since my meth install. 350whp on 4psi of boost is my goal
Old 07-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
LOL, i know what you mean

BTW, what are you using for engine management? i think i read it somewhere, but forgot and what kind of fuel system upgrades did you do?? anyways, good job with the car. id like to see what it can do with a MP90 and a good tune O.0

i still have to go back and get retuned myself, havent had a chance since my meth install. 350whp on 4psi of boost is my goal
fuel system is untouched....
not running any management, besides the acm "meth injection is my best friend right now"

i think ive reached the peak of the fuel system, and its time to change few things, we will see...

im just the type to push things to the limit
Old 07-19-2009, 03:12 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely upgrade the fuel system, these cars seem to get in the dangerous lean area pretty quick. With a simple injector drop and Fi/c you'll won't have to worry about leaning out. I assuming you're running a custom s/c pulley? I know you don't like to be 'careful' haha but you are spinning your blower pretty damn fast and are probably outside its efficiency range. I just started messing with my meth setup and it should help your inlet temps as well. I'd still like to see your dyno graph.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:36 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
fuel system is untouched....
not running any management, besides the acm "meth injection is my best friend right now"

i think ive reached the peak of the fuel system, and its time to change few things, we will see...

im just the type to push things to the limit
WHAT?!? OK so lets get this straight

your using stock injectors (270cc), crushed FPR, stock fuel pump, HBP, meth injection, while relying on the ACM pos for engine management ?? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!???? LOL

listen, you come here with some pretty good knowledge, but DAMN i dont know what your thinking :/ youve blamed the denso plugs for causing your engine to fail, but im starting to think otherwise. ive ran nothing but denso's the whole time ive been SC and havent had a single issue with them. how bout blaming some of your misfortunes on poor planning and engine management? sounds like your relying too much on your meth injection, for the things you currently lack.

please post your dyno graph (whp/TQ), boost graph and MOST IMPORTANTLY your a/f graph. im still scratching my head on how you achieved close to 400whp with out the key ingedients to make that happen just for example, i maxed out my stock injectors at 325whp on only 4psi, which forced me to go slightly bigger. my buddy has a supercharged accord using the HBP (8psi) and his fuel system was wayyyy maxed out. he ended up installing a walbro 255 pump, along with some RDX injectors (410cc) to rectify the problem.

im not calling you out, just REALLY curious on how you achieved such a feat.

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 07-19-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
WHAT?!? OK so lets get this straight

your using stock injectors (270cc), crushed FPR, stock fuel pump, HBP, meth injection, while relying on the ACM pos for engine management ?? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!???? LOL

listen, you come here with some pretty good knowledge, but DAMN i dont know what your thinking :/ youve blamed the denso plugs for causing your engine to fail, but im starting to think otherwise. ive ran nothing but denso's the whole time ive been SC and havent had a single issue with them. how bout blaming some of your misfortunes on poor planning and engine management? sounds like your relying too much on your meth injection, for the things you currently lack.

please post your dyno graph (whp/TQ), boost graph and MOST IMPORTANTLY your a/f graph. im still scratching my head on how you achieved close to 400whp with out the key ingedients to make that happen just for example, i maxed out my stock injectors at 325whp on only 4psi, which forced me to go slightly bigger. my buddy has a supercharged accord using the HBP (8psi) and his fuel system was wayyyy maxed out. he ended up installing a walbro 255 pump, along with some RDX injectors (410cc) to rectify the problem.

im not calling you out, just REALLY curious on how you achieved such a feat.
no no i understand lmao..... like i said man... i like pushing things to their limit, and then taking it from there... i should get the graph next week....

i didnt get to see any numbers this time because like i said...the focus was on the engine overheating...

last time i had a dyno run a/f ratios on 6.5 psi... were about mid 12s... that was running along with 225 mil/min meth nozzle... this time i went up to 375 mil...and at one point it leaned out...

thats what my whole intention of the dyno was...to see where my fuel system stood.

look...no motor is the same, no motor runs the same... one will blow, while another wont...one will hold compression better than another...
the denso spark plugs, i still blame them...bcs in weeks at stock boost they broke... yes i know, no tune and blah blah blah,

im still with no tune...the 2 step colder NGKs are solid!!!
im not turning around and blaming everything on that... i guess i jut simply had that happen to me twice...

and the reason i threw it out is so ppl are aware of it.

now with the lack of management... there's too much contradicting things on whats available... one says one does one thing while someone else says it does this...someone else says, it doesnt do this...one says go with this cause its better than this...and blah blah blah blah...

my problem is, i haven't had the luck to look at it myself..this is my daily driver...so that limits me a lot.

so say i had picked one of the available management units... wheres the base map? i can't sit on the dyno for hrs while the tuner tries to build a base map...

like i said man...i have not had the luxury of time.

so ur friend running 8 psi... what size (in inches) is his SC pulley?

my problem is...i found out things on my own...the hard way... i never looked at a forum for anything... untill recently i joined this... and to be honest with you... turns out, ive done most of this stuff thats being discussed today.... years ago.. my car is 5.5 years old

when they started talking about cat deletes and CELs associated with it... i had already been running straight pipes for years.... i picked up the first injen CAI first day it was out, had made my own TB spacer (plastic) so my CAI remained cold lol... first tein SS coilovers..and blah blah blah.

sorry i drifted off lol... but anyway, thats that.. now i will jump on the fuel system
Old 07-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ussi
Definitely upgrade the fuel system, these cars seem to get in the dangerous lean area pretty quick. With a simple injector drop and Fi/c you'll won't have to worry about leaning out. I assuming you're running a custom s/c pulley? I know you don't like to be 'careful' haha but you are spinning your blower pretty damn fast and are probably outside its efficiency range. I just started messing with my meth setup and it should help your inlet temps as well. I'd still like to see your dyno graph.
thats the next step .... yes im running a custom pulley, i didnt do any calculations of what size ill need to spin at certain rpm and all that, i just picked a size based on PSI gaine going from 3.2 " stock pulley to the HBP which is 2.95" ...while my gauge reads 9 psi...on the dyno, the guy's gauge read 8.5...

i may be spinning it too fast...that i will find out lol... the meth does drop the inlet temps a lot...and the graph i should have it emailed to me soon hopefully.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 AM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
variable meth kit?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bent09
variable meth kit?
yes...2 boost settings, starts spraying at whatever setting u want...then goes on full blast at next boost level u set it
Old 07-20-2009, 12:46 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
so wat is making you overheat rt now? any findings?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by djbonsu
so wat is making you overheat rt now? any findings?
didnt touch it yet... theres 2 things that are likely to be causing it... acting thermostat, or head gasket leak which could be building pressure into the coolant system, causing it to overflow..... im loosing coolant, overflowing outta the radiator into the overflow bottle and outta the bottle... so loss of coolant is where overheating is coming from...

im gonna take off the thermostat completely and run the car without it, and see.... if thats not it... then i got a blown head gasket...

weird thing is...i could drive normal all day without any problems... but once i beat on the car few times... after that it will start to overheat... makes me think a bolt is stretching under boost or something..

just my goddamn luck.... thinking of calling ARP for some head bolts lol

i just pray its the thermostat... that could be causing the extra built pressure as well.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
hope its the tstat, other option is not a good one
Old 07-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Smile

Hey headgasket isn't much of a big deal at all , just check to make sure b4 u start pulling heads , make sure it's not heat soak , u can diagnos this by checking upper radiator hose when motor is cool on start up u will a lot of pressure right away or of course the good old pressure test , but I would recommend getting some injectors & a fuel pump , but otherwise I think you'll hit that 400hp mark good luck ......
Old 07-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
didnt touch it yet... theres 2 things that are likely to be causing it... acting thermostat, or head gasket leak which could be building pressure into the coolant system, causing it to overflow..... im loosing coolant, overflowing outta the radiator into the overflow bottle and outta the bottle... so loss of coolant is where overheating is coming from...

im gonna take off the thermostat completely and run the car without it, and see.... if thats not it... then i got a blown head gasket...

weird thing is...i could drive normal all day without any problems... but once i beat on the car few times... after that it will start to overheat... makes me think a bolt is stretching under boost or something..

just my goddamn luck.... thinking of calling ARP for some head bolts lol

i just pray its the thermostat... that could be causing the extra built pressure as well.
Under those conditions, headgasket. I've been there too many times before.

Seriously, it's time to monitor knock. You have a ton of knowlege but you can't leave this out. You're blind without this info.

I didn't realize until this thread that you lowered the compression to 8.5. There's no reason you can't run 14psi from a turbo on 91 octane without the meth. Get the fuel system out of the way, throw a turbo on there and you'll be playing with the Z06s and such.... until you find the next weak link lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Under those conditions, headgasket. I've been there too many times before.

Seriously, it's time to monitor knock. You have a ton of knowlege but you can't leave this out. You're blind without this info.

I didn't realize until this thread that you lowered the compression to 8.5. There's no reason you can't run 14psi from a turbo on 91 octane without the meth. Get the fuel system out of the way, throw a turbo on there and you'll be playing with the Z06s and such.... until you find the next weak link lol.
im gonna pull the heads this weekend...

yes i did lower compression to 9.5:1 lol the whole point of it was so i could take advantage of all the available boost safely...and that of lack of tuning...i gotta post pics of the lower comp. forged pistons...vs my cracked stock pistons
Old 07-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

im gonna pull the heads this weekend...

yes i did lower compression to 9.5:1 lol the whole point of it was so i could take advantage of all the available boost safely...and that of lack of tuning...i gotta post pics of the lower comp. forged pistons...vs my cracked stock pistons
Ah, 9.5. I don't know where I got the 8.5.

Good luck with the headgasket. I got good because I had to do so many that I could pull the car into the garage and have the heads sitting on the ground while the pistons were still hot. I never wanted to be that good lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Ah, 9.5. I don't know where I got the 8.5.

Good luck with the headgasket. I got good because I had to do so many that I could pull the car into the garage and have the heads sitting on the ground while the pistons were still hot. I never wanted to be that good lol.
8.5 was the boost reading on the dyno....

last winter...took me about 1 hr and 45 mins, to install the head and everything to the T...exhaust, timing belt... only thing left was change oil... in the dark with a flash light, outside in the winter cold....alone lol

so much for being a maniac lol
Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

That's fast, especially considering you had the cams and timing belt to deal with which I didn't.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
damn man. bring this puppy out to one of the next meets... would love to see it in person

i wont chime in like everybody else has with the management, but i was going to s/c my type-s..... RDX injectors (slight modification) & AEM FI/C will help your fuel problem ... i think the AEM FI/C model you want is 3010, but i dont remember
Old 07-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
damn man. bring this puppy out to one of the next meets... would love to see it in person

i wont chime in like everybody else has with the management, but i was going to s/c my type-s..... RDX injectors (slight modification) & AEM FI/C will help your fuel problem ... i think the AEM FI/C model you want is 3010, but i dont remember
you can chime in all u wish bud...

ive actually never been to any meets lol... so i might.

as far as FIC, i have yet to come across someone who tuned with it....so i can't say anything.

i know a tuner i spoke to...said he tried tuning a TSX with it..only to have it come back cause of stock ECU taking over.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

by the way guys...i fucked up on the numbers lol and i apologize for that .....as i have mentioned i was so focused on watching the goddamn temp needle....and i dont know where i got 385 whp....its actually 374 with a leaky head gasket.... ill post the graph in a few
Old 07-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Heres the dyno graph, at 8.5 psi, with leaky head gasket

Old 07-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

And heres the AFR graph, leaning out around 5.5k

Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
wow... 19.5 A/F ???? YIKES

Also, what the hell happened at about 2200RPM?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

no man....lol...dont look at that number...look at the graph itself... that number is when it redlines...so it records the highest number (red lining cuts off fuel, so AFR shoots up)

the worst AFR is at 6k going at 14:1.... but either way...the whole idea of this was to get the AFR readings... at 6.5 psi, they were still good.... now its time for bigger injectors and fuel pump

ignore that crazy heart-beat part of the graph lol.... its actually consistent rising up... (on another graph) .....he did this while watching the temp gauge, rather than his monitor and the remote lol.

i pushed for this...with overheating issues...but oh well

Last edited by Opel; 07-22-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Team Owner

It sounds like there's a lot more in it with the issues taken care of.

I believe this is the most powerful supercharged TL already, right?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

im not really sure,,,, but i think im the only one with 9.5:1 compression
Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey opel, not be off the subject but your car looks good with those wheels..what are those?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

not off topic bud... and thank you

they're Enkei RPM2 18s-18 lbs
Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks

Quick Reply: New Dyno run, gone bad!