need ideas for first mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need ideas for first mods

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to the site and to the TL world as well. Just picked up an 2005 At in satin silver with 41K miles about month ago or so. I really truly love the car since I was driving around 120 miles a day in a lowered (bouncy) no A/C integra. Needless to say, the TL is huge improvement and much luxurious than anything else I've driven. However, Im looking to do some work on my new purchase but I'm not sure where to start. First, I do know that I want to get a decklid wing since I don't have one and shortly after 35% all around tint. Later, wheels (Volk, Werk, RJ are my top 3) and suspension eventually. Somewhere in the middle I want to do less expensive mods...my front end did not come with fogs..so does anyone know or have done an install one a pair? I keep reading about people changing their HID bulbs...personally I though the TL had excellent headlights so what is the reasoning behind the mod besides higher discharge or bulb color? Any other ideas?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
First let me welcome you to the boards!

Second you can:
Debadge it.
Blackout/Clear the headlights.
LEDs.
Hack the Navi (if you have one).

Those are just some starter inexpensive mods.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLin401
First let me welcome you to the boards!

Second you can:
Debadge it.
Blackout/Clear the headlights.
LEDs.
Hack the Navi (if you have one).

Those are just some starter inexpensive mods.
For blackout and clearing the headlights, is their anyone that can do it besides JnC (cant get a hold of him, and I live across the country in Atlanta.) And what do you recommend for hacking the NAVI?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Intermediate

I like the stock look of oem headlights with amber park lights...Its just me thought.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clark_TL
For blackout and clearing the headlights, is their anyone that can do it besides JnC (cant get a hold of him, and I live across the country in Atlanta.) And what do you recommend for hacking the NAVI?
anarchy[sear] does an excellent job --> https://acurazine.com/forums/socal-310/blacked-out-headlights%7E-735512/

some other decent mods to do for not too much cash
white led's in the interior and license plate
CAI

i would also like to see a more comprehensive post about the headlights/foglights/citylights and the difference between HID/led/halogen/etc.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:37 AM
10th Gear

I just got the same exact year and color. It only took me two weeks to decide I needed the A-spec body kit. putting the kit on faily easy. As long as you have a buddy to help you shouldn't have any problems putting it on yourself. I paid 730 for the kit (front sides and rear, wing or lip not included) The dealer wanted to charge me 1300. Im also interested in adding foglights if any one has info....
Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 AM
Shyne

The first mod I would get are coilovers. Getting coilovers will give you both a better look and handling. IMO nothing looks worse than a car on stock suspension with wheels and a drop alone makes a car look infinitely better.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by UA6/7
Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to the site and to the TL world as well. Just picked up an 2005 At in satin silver with 41K miles about month ago or so. I really truly love the car since I was driving around 120 miles a day in a lowered (bouncy) no A/C integra. Needless to say, the TL is huge improvement and much luxurious than anything else I've driven. However, Im looking to do some work on my new purchase but I'm not sure where to start. First, I do know that I want to get a decklid wing since I don't have one and shortly after 35% all around tint. Later, wheels (Volk, Werk, RJ are my top 3) and suspension eventually. Somewhere in the middle I want to do less expensive mods...my front end did not come with fogs..so does anyone know or have done an install one a pair? I keep reading about people changing their HID bulbs...personally I though the TL had excellent headlights so what is the reasoning behind the mod besides higher discharge or bulb color? Any other ideas?
Congrats and welcome to acurazine!

Take a look at blackura_NY's WDP tl and look around at other ones here. Most of them do not have the OEM wing, but rather the TL-S rear lip spoiler which is a bit more subtle and classier in my opinion.

Your front end does have fogs, but the are integrated into the headlight housing. The HID"s a Bi-Xenon for your high beams and low beams, the inner light is the fog light. You can however add the 07-08 lower fogs into the car to have a second set.

My recommended Mods:
Weight Reduction - get rid of the spare tire, jack and the other things that are taking up unnecessary weight.
Hacked Navi- no real performance benefit, but it makes your car a bit more unique to you.
Progress/Comptech Rear Sway bar - better stability and less body roll
AEM Cold Air Intake - gives a nice bump in power and a nice growl'
J-pipe - gives on average about a 10 WHP gain, and a good amount of Tq.
P2R Spacers - less heat loss from motor
Pre-Cat deletes - delete the front two cat's so you can have the exhaust flow a bit better, however if your state has inspections it won't pass the tail-pipe sniffer.

Looks:
A-Spec body kit
Rims
Drop
Headlights
Full detailing, check out the detail section on how to wash and wax!

Misc.
Do a seafoam treatment, and as well you are probably due for a brake fluid change, check the fluid canister and see if there is any mold/stuff growing right near the top of it. It'll be clearly visible as green gunk. Check your oil level and other fluids and make sure they are filled up to the right level.

If you have an automatic, do at least 1 drain and refill of the transmission fluid, it'll be 3 of the 9 quarts drained. the best thing to do is the 3 x 3 method where you drain and refill 3 times to get all the fluid replaced. The best thing to do is just to have the fluid drained and refilled every other oil change in my opinion.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

thanks..but

Thanks for the important info about the car, it really is useful. The first 2 mods that are on my to due list is the s wing and tint. I'm running into a problem of finding a replica type s wing that isn't dealer cost of $300. I just don't have the cash for that. Is there a place online that does carry replicas? Second, to get 07-08 fogs into my car I would need to spend $600 on the housing itself so the dealer says at least....is there an aftermarket kit for that as well? Thanks again.

Originally Posted by csmeance
Congrats and welcome to acurazine!

Take a look at blackura_NY's WDP tl and look around at other ones here. Most of them do not have the OEM wing, but rather the TL-S rear lip spoiler which is a bit more subtle and classier in my opinion.

Your front end does have fogs, but the are integrated into the headlight housing. The HID"s a Bi-Xenon for your high beams and low beams, the inner light is the fog light. You can however add the 07-08 lower fogs into the car to have a second set.

My recommended Mods:
Weight Reduction - get rid of the spare tire, jack and the other things that are taking up unnecessary weight.
Hacked Navi- no real performance benefit, but it makes your car a bit more unique to you.
Progress/Comptech Rear Sway bar - better stability and less body roll
AEM Cold Air Intake - gives a nice bump in power and a nice growl'
J-pipe - gives on average about a 10 WHP gain, and a good amount of Tq.
P2R Spacers - less heat loss from motor
Pre-Cat deletes - delete the front two cat's so you can have the exhaust flow a bit better, however if your state has inspections it won't pass the tail-pipe sniffer.

Looks:
A-Spec body kit
Rims
Drop
Headlights
Full detailing, check out the detail section on how to wash and wax!

Misc.
Do a seafoam treatment, and as well you are probably due for a brake fluid change, check the fluid canister and see if there is any mold/stuff growing right near the top of it. It'll be clearly visible as green gunk. Check your oil level and other fluids and make sure they are filled up to the right level.

If you have an automatic, do at least 1 drain and refill of the transmission fluid, it'll be 3 of the 9 quarts drained. the best thing to do is the 3 x 3 method where you drain and refill 3 times to get all the fluid replaced. The best thing to do is just to have the fluid drained and refilled every other oil change in my opinion.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Spoiler - eBay 100$ thespoilerstore - user
Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Spoiler - eBay 100$ thespoilerstore - user
Is that a type s replica or is it a regular tl wing? it doesn't look too aggressive like the S

I found this.
http://www.spoilerexpress.com/cart/s...sp?idProduct=4
anyone ever buy from these guys?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Instructor

^^type s trunk lid spoilers are stupid expensive for some reason. it was much cheaper at one point but factory boosted the price to around $600 and i couldn't find one under $450. get that one cause i just ordered one from ebay and looks just as good as the $600 ones
Old 07-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by UA6/7
Is that a type s replica or is it a regular tl wing? it doesn't look too aggressive like the S

I found this.
http://www.spoilerexpress.com/cart/s...sp?idProduct=4
anyone ever buy from these guys?
nope, that's the accessory lip, not the TL-S one. The TL-S one is a bit wider and doesn't curve up. Call up tim @ honda-acura world, it should be near 200 bucks for it...
Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Instructor

i just read my post and it can be misleading:TypE-S trunk lip spoiler is around $460. honda-acura world doesn't sell type-s spoilers anywhere near $200

this is the only one on the site thats a trunk spoiler
http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Mercha...egory_Code=ATL

Last edited by rooki; 07-16-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
nope, that's the accessory lip, not the TL-S one. The TL-S one is a bit wider and doesn't curve up. Call up tim @ honda-acura world, it should be near 200 bucks for it...
For that price I almost rather get the CLS wing from a user on zine..Kb1spec. But do you know if a S wing would fit without drilling? If the proper shaving of the metal hardware on the inside of the wing was done?