My Custom Polished Intake Manifold Project-Many Pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:17 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Custom Polished Intake Manifold Project-Many Pics!!

I wanted to see what others thought about my manifold project. I did it all myself along with the custom cover in less than a week. ....so what dya think of it? Be honest, i wont cry,lol.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Not your moms TL.

i like! props.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:51 AM
07 TL type S NBP!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's pretty cool...mind explaining how u went about it?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:17 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Ac_Attack
i like! props.
thank you :o)
Old 11-06-2007, 01:31 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by modificata3
that's pretty cool...mind explaining how u went about it?

sure it would be my pleasure. its pretty much a 2 step process: sanding and then polishing.

but the trick is making the truly *smooth* appearance to make it look like early morning still water in a lake w/ no waves

its very easy to do and end up with a super shiny finish, but a gross -waaaavy finish. kinda similar to how Maaco's body work using Bondo would appear after being painted and then a final clearcoat - nice and shiny but super wavy, lol.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:39 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
wow thats damn nice...
Old 11-06-2007, 08:34 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you paint the part with the acura/vtec logo or did you buy it?

Nice polish job!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Did you paint the part with the acura/vtec logo or did you buy it?

Nice polish job!
thank you for asking . the top cover was all done by myself. i carefully shaved the 3.2 off, as well as the two big tabs w/ holes for the plastic manifold cover and also all those little tabs around the outer edges of the bolt holes. i then finished it off in a true oem like quality, high temperature safe, black wrinkle coat finish. it probably reminds people of how the B-Series valve covers look. that was the type of look i was going for, something clean, humble like stock, to try and offset the look of the flashy polished mani .
Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey Royce...
Any difference in this one compared to the one I bought off ebay?

Curious why you sold that one, only to do another...

I finally found a competent machine shop to blast the interior out. This is what's holding up my supercharger install.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Sweet- I am planning on this while manifold off for thermoblock install
Good job!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:54 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Damn thats beautiful!

What did you use to sand the metal down with, and what did you use to polish it off with?

That's probably the sweetest intake manifold ever for the J-series.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

Hey Royce,
Good to see you on here bro. you still have your 04 mt6? I have a question I forgot to ask you the other day Royce could the top be painted a diffrent color other than black? lets say red or some other color? Did you get the photos of the 07 I sent you to your email address? you said you dont have any 07 mandi's laying around right what if I send you one to work on Royce?

chongbo aka charlie
Old 11-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Not your moms TL.

Originally Posted by chongbo
Hey Royce,
Good to see you on here bro. you still have your 04 mt6? I have a question I forgot to ask you the other day Royce could the top be painted a diffrent color other than black? lets say red or some other color? Did you get the photos of the 07 I sent you to your email address? you said you dont have any 07 mandi's laying around right what if I send you one to work on Royce?

chongbo aka charlie

does anyon know if you could do this to the Type S Mani being that it is Magnesium instead of Aluminum?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:18 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Damn thats beautiful!

What did you use to sand the metal down with, and what did you use to polish it off with?

That's probably the sweetest intake manifold ever for the J-series.

wow, now thats an honor! we've never crossed paths before but you have no idea how long ive admired your TL build up. your car was one the first that caught my attention and the whole reason why i started paying more attention to Acurazine!!! i even have so many pics of it on my shop's wall. lol. but seriously, you are the top dawg in this house!-to me atleast. :o)

to sand the metal down i basically used all grit levels from 60 all the way to 2000. i used various sanding tools from my hands to loud powered ones but the key factor was using long and flat tools only to keep the finish looking diamond cut, razor sharp and flat where needed.

as for polishing aluminum, there are the 3 basic bars much like wax but with abrasives infused into the polishing bars. black bar-most abrasive, brown bar- less abrasive , white bar or liquid version of the white bar - containing no abrasives and only polish. you just work thru them same as going up thru the sand paper grit levels.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Ac_Attack
does anyon know if you could do this to the Type S Mani being that it is Magnesium instead of Aluminum?

oh boy, i love it when i hear an awesome question.

please allow me to say that back when i was first learning about all this polishing and blablabla i ended up learning about the workability of other metals as well. i remember this tech article that spoke on polishing magnesium and though i dont have an 07 tl or an 07 tl-s myself. i already knew they came equipped with magnesium manifolds for the 07+ models when they were first introduced with specs by Honda's P/R. therefore i continued to read that article and it may or may not suprise you to hear this but workability when polishing magnesium has the same characteristics when polishing aluminum. very easy to do. nothing harder than alum. since alum is not really known for its strength as a metal, neither is magnesium. mag is used for its weight saving factor. now talk about polishing some good ol cast iron, and ill start weeping like a girl because THAT ONE SUCKS,lol.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:03 PM
B A N N E D

that looks hot. i did somethin similar to my 2nd gen but u went way beyond what i did. i just used mothers aluminum polish along with never dull and went to town on it. i got a decent shine nothing as spectacular ur finish

good work
Old 11-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
would that suffer from discoloration after a some good heat cycles? I would be concerned about it getting that purple color. Looks great though!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:18 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
WOW, vey nice job. Im not sure I have the patience for that, it looks really good!! Mad props man..
Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
isnt this for sale on ebay?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:16 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by Royce Han
wow, now thats an honor! we've never crossed paths before but you have no idea how long ive admired your TL build up. your car was one the first that caught my attention and the whole reason why i started paying more attention to Acurazine!!! i even have so many pics of it on my shop's wall. lol. but seriously, you are the top dawg in this house!-to me atleast. :o)

to sand the metal down i basically used all grit levels from 60 all the way to 2000. i used various sanding tools from my hands to loud powered ones but the key factor was using long and flat tools only to keep the finish looking diamond cut, razor sharp and flat where needed.

as for polishing aluminum, there are the 3 basic bars much like wax but with abrasives infused into the polishing bars. black bar-most abrasive, brown bar- less abrasive , white bar or liquid version of the white bar - containing no abrasives and only polish. you just work thru them same as going up thru the sand paper grit levels.
haha well i'm flattered to hear that my TL has been an inspiration for you! thanks man. Also, i appreciate the info on how you did the work. Your finished product makes me disgusted at my engine, and i am probably going to have to follow in your steps on this mod! (if you dont mind) or atleast the polishing part. I'm just too intrigued by your intake manifold that i feel compelled to work on mine as well.
thanks again for the pics, and it looks phenomenal...really impressed.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by The Dougler
would that suffer from discoloration after a some good heat cycles? I would be concerned about it getting that purple color. Looks great though!
if it did turn purple it would be ever sweeter!...would look lip a titanium exhaust tip.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:44 PM
B A N N E D

if it did turn purple it would be ever sweeter!...would look lip a titanium exhaust tip.

:o) now that would be a weird one to see. but i dont think that could ever really happen since the max temps at the intake mani. should never be as high as the headers unless maybe your car is on fire,lol.

with your enthusiasm and attitude, i am definately sure this is something you can accomplish. im no one special to have done this . after all, none of us can say we ever invented the wheel right?, but we can sure as hell make it better!

im a firm believer that people can do anything that anyone else can do -always the same, if not even better! we are all smart people, obviously since we chose to drive 3G TL, hehe.

whats that expression people say- somethin like- "how bad you want it, is just how you'll get it"- like them crackheads!! , LOL . sounds funny but we all know its the truth.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:38 PM
1 quarter mile at a time

hotttt
Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
That's badass, very nicely done
Old 11-07-2007, 08:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That looks great!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:10 AM
tehLEGOman

Jesus i'm so intrigued by your intake manifold that i keep coming in this thread to look at it!!! its killin me because im sittin here trying to type this 18 page psychoanalytic paper for class and i'm so tempted to run out to the garage and start sanding and polishing!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 PM
B A N N E D

Jesus i'm so intrigued by your intake manifold that i keep coming in this thread to look at it!!! its killin me because im sittin here trying to type this 18 page psychoanalytic paper for class and i'm so tempted to run out to the garage and start sanding and polishing!
do your homework!! lol

hey i forgot to mention something more important than the sanding and polishing itself. its your health , you must wear one of these w/ eye protection too-when necessary, but always use a similar type of mask, dont use a simple painters mask, they're worthless in this app.
the amount of alum dust you'll be making is quite a bit and the black boogers you'll get from this is not the kind from sitting in front of a camp fire all night. haha

its very bad, believe me.

also these cartridges are the best but they dont last very long either -just FYI so be safe is all im saying.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Great advice Royce, I learn about this shit all day. Make sure the mask seats to your face properly as well, I've seen many people that do not wear them correctly. Also while handling the different abrasives and the final polish it is a good idea to wear those blue non latex gloves so nothing get's absorbed through your skin.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Racer

are you selling this on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 PM
1 quarter mile at a time

can you tell us what materials you used to do everything including what you used to shave the logo piece?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Ni$h21
can you tell us what materials you used to do everything including what you used to shave the logo piece?
i wish i could tell you it was a simple magic trick i used.

but the truth is what you are seeing is more of a result of my efforts rather than the tools or materials i chose to use. there was nothing i used that would ever prevent the ultimate worst case scenario from happening such as a single misguided knick or gouge like- OOPS, oh sh*t, and now yer done- time for the garbage. im sure there are so many tools out there that im still unaware of that could make this process easier and cost friendly but im still learning too you know. i mentioned the use of various FLAT tools( hand and power) and also, you may find a dremel w/ various bits to be of use too. but plan on going through MANY of the dremel units and not just the bits- but plenty those too. this manifold you are seeing, took the lives of 5 brand spanking new dremels. actually thats 4 since the 5th one actually made it and it still works atleast for now. and believe me i wasnt buying the cheapest possible model of corded dremel either. so what this means is, yes for certain areas the dremel was the most helpful of them all by far. but would it be ethical for me to suggest you use such an innefficient and costly tool as well? thats your choice and as i said, just plan on spending about a good couple to a few hundred bucks on just new dremel units minus bits when trying to do a single manifold polish job BUT thats only if you choose to rely heavliy on the dremel. my most reliable tool was my bare hands and the special various tools i made myself out of various types of wood. serouosly thats the truth. but because its physically painful and nuts to do it all by hand is why i gave in and chose to pay the price of using all those dremels. i didnt lie when i said this is some caveman's sh*t! lol a lot of blood and sweat and will power is the key to this success unless your dad owns Dremel brand.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
i wish i could tell you it was a simple magic trick i used.

but the truth is what you are seeing is more of a result of my efforts rather than the tools or materials i chose to use. there was nothing i used that would ever prevent the ultimate worst case scenario from happening such as a single misguided knick or gouge like- OOPS, oh sh*t, and now yer done- time for the garbage. im sure there are so many tools out there that im still unaware of that could make this process easier and cost friendly but im still learning too you know. i mentioned the use of various FLAT tools( hand and power) and also, you may find a dremel w/ various bits to be of use too. but plan on going through MANY of the dremel units and not just the bits- but plenty those too. this manifold you are seeing, took the lives of 5 brand spanking new dremels. actually thats 4 since the 5th one actually made it and it still works atleast for now. and believe me i wasnt buying the cheapest possible model of corded dremel either. so what this means is, yes for certain areas the dremel was the most helpful of them all by far. but would it be ethical for me to suggest you use such an innefficient and costly tool as well? thats your choice and as i said, just plan on spending about a good couple to a few hundred bucks on just new dremel units minus bits when trying to do a single manifold polish job BUT thats only if you choose to rely heavliy on the dremel. my most reliable tool was my bare hands and the special various tools i made myself out of various types of wood. serouosly thats the truth. but because its physically painful and nuts to do it all by hand is why i gave in and chose to pay the price of using all those dremels. i didnt lie when i said this is some caveman's sh*t! lol a lot of blood and sweat and will power is the key to this success unless your dad owns Dremel brand.

ever heard of air tools?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 AM
BORICUA

That looks sweet
Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The gen2 manifold is much easier to polish
A bit of your choice of brand metal polish- some rags- a small buffing wheel on drill-
a real 8" buffing wheel is awesome

Pic set coming!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do your homework!! lol

hey i forgot to mention something more important than the sanding and polishing itself. its your health , you must wear one of these w/ eye protection too-when necessary, but always use a similar type of mask, dont use a simple painters mask, they're worthless in this app.
the amount of alum dust you'll be making is quite a bit and the black boogers you'll get from this is not the kind from sitting in front of a camp fire all night. haha

its very bad, believe me.

also these cartridges are the best but they dont last very long either -just FYI so be safe is all im saying.
Tell me about it! I worked for an RV company for a summer job in High school. My job was to grind down the welds on Alum bumpers and doors......needless to say I blew black boogers that whole summer. They had us wearing those cheap paper painters masks.............

I feel tainted

Good luck in your ebay sales...............
Old 11-09-2007, 02:29 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by CleanCL
ever heard of air tools?
yes, of course.

but my air compressor costs over 1000.00. and most die grinders, etc.. require a of greater than 5.0 to be used efficiently, w/o bogging down. so that is why i didnt think to mention it. but thanks for reminding me.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:32 PM
B A N N E D

i meant to say a of greater than 5.0
Old 11-11-2007, 08:10 AM
B A N N E D

air tools and dremels are a big plus to use whenever and/or wherever you can but what about when doing stuff like this? -all the nooks and crannys- where it really counts.

whenever im observing misc. polish work thats been done by others, this is where i enjoy looking the most-

where its the most dificult to do. i like lots of fine detail. and thats something you just cant achieve with any air tool or dremel bit. unless you dont care for the fine detail look and just smooth it all over into one even polished curve, which is easy , and will still always look good as well.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:35 AM
Intermediate

Keep me posyed on what you said the other day Royce ok

air tools and dremels are a big plus to use whenever and/or wherever you can but what about when doing stuff like this? -all the nooks and crannys- where it really counts.

whenever im observing misc. polish work thats been done by others, this is where i enjoy looking the most-

where its the most dificult to do. i like lots of fine detail. and thats something you just cant achieve with any air tool or dremel bit. unless you dont care for the fine detail look and just smooth it all over into one even polished curve, which is easy , and will still always look good as well.

Keep me posted Royce on what we talked about in email the other day looks like I have found 2 07 type s mandi's and 1 08 tl mandi for you and plus my 07 type s so thats 4 mandi's all together Royce.

chongbo aka chap1963 from ebay
Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,667 Likes on 2,498 Posts
haha well i'm flattered to hear that my TL has been an inspiration for you! thanks man. Also, i appreciate the info on how you did the work. Your finished product makes me disgusted at my engine, and i am probably going to have to follow in your steps on this mod! (if you dont mind) or atleast the polishing part. I'm just too intrigued by your intake manifold that i feel compelled to work on mine as well.
thanks again for the pics, and it looks phenomenal...really impressed.
get yours done.

Quick Reply: My Custom Polished Intake Manifold Project-Many Pics!!