Ls swap TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I am not saying that its not do able due to funds (spent 15k on my Civic and 18k on my 240sx before i was 22 (all money i earned myself!)) but it just does not make any sense to throw that kind of money into this car. You would have to cut out the trunk floor and restructure the rear end and then cut the tunnel out and rebuild a new rear sus. thats if you want to go RWD. Then for FWD you will have to fully re configure you front sus, and sub frame, along with most likely frame rails. Also throw in there hood issues, core support issues and wiring. Not worth it at all for a FWD car. Build a strocker and throw on a turbo, once you out grow that or are sick of throwing all that money away on a FWD car then you can upgrade to a Vette or 350z ect.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
Build a strocker and throw on a turbo, once you out grow that or are sick of throwing all that money away on a FWD car then you can upgrade to a Vette or 350z ect.
Psssssh. I'd be downgrading, IMHO, if I went to a vette or 350z from my turbo stroker.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I wish people on here would actually discuss the idea instead of shooting it down so fast. Anything is possible with the proper design, skill and the right amount of money.

OP, I have gone over this in my head hundreds of times and spent countless hours looking at different parts from different vehicles on what might actually work. My dad is a lead design engineer for GM and has been helping with ideas.

If the LSX series engine will fit there are several considerations for the the engine bay first. The engine would have to be set as far back as possible which could cause the firewall to have to be reworked in order to clear the rear of the engine and allow access to the 2 rear cylinders. The oil pan would have to be shortened and clearanced to keep it up high enough and out of harms way. Perhaps like the FD RX7 guys are doing with their LSX swaps. Hood clearance will be a problem towards the front cylinders of the car since our front end slopes downward.

You would have to build a tunnel under the center console and radio in order to clear the transmission. Also you will have to take into consideration the location of the shifter (either auto or manual) The T56 6spd sits a little far back. The 4L60E might be a better option to solve this issue.

Then we still have to figure out the front suspension and the rear end.

Try contacting Hinson Super Cars and see what ideas they have. They are working on a V8 conversion kit for the S2000 right now.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 698 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
No I actually called in before the Turbo was ever made if it was possible to put the LS8 from the CTS-V into our TL. I was quoted 21 - 23k from Jotech Racing not including a upgrade transmission or anything else (which would cost me another 10k)
I still laugh at that considering they have almost no experience actually modifying the TL besides the occasional bolt-on install. They didn't realize the car had a hard time being tuned til' I informed them of AZine's journey to get to where it is now.

Good guys (Tony & Kenny very friendly), but GT-Rs & Supras are their big thing, not the TL.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:46 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Yeah I know. Kenny wanted to install the CT S/C when I got my car though lol
Old 05-11-2011, 07:19 AM
DANSOLOW

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddy
I wish people on here would actually discuss the idea instead of shooting it down so fast. Anything is possible with the proper design, skill and the right amount of money.

OP, I have gone over this in my head hundreds of times and spent countless hours looking at different parts from different vehicles on what might actually work. My dad is a lead design engineer for GM and has been helping with ideas.

If the LSX series engine will fit there are several considerations for the the engine bay first. The engine would have to be set as far back as possible which could cause the firewall to have to be reworked in order to clear the rear of the engine and allow access to the 2 rear cylinders. The oil pan would have to be shortened and clearanced to keep it up high enough and out of harms way. Perhaps like the FD RX7 guys are doing with their LSX swaps. Hood clearance will be a problem towards the front cylinders of the car since our front end slopes downward.

You would have to build a tunnel under the center console and radio in order to clear the transmission. Also you will have to take into consideration the location of the shifter (either auto or manual) The T56 6spd sits a little far back. The 4L60E might be a better option to solve this issue.

Try contacting Hinson Super Cars and see what ideas they have. They are working on a V8 conversion kit for the S2000 right now.

Thanks man, I'll look into it!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

I shot it down right away because you would have to be crazy to try to do this and spend the same amount of money as the car was selling for new (base) to make it RWD with a V8. I helped a friend do an s2k swap in a Del Sol which is a much easier car to cut apart and mod (that and they are worth nothing so if you screw up getting a new one is cheap) and it still took over 2 years to complete and then all said and done you have a Del Sol that you sunk 10-20k into and you would be lucky to sell it for 8-10. Sorry to be so negitave but all you talked about was fitment, not suspension, rear end, wiring, engine management, gauge setup, fuel (your axle is now where your tank was), or dash. If some even managed to get the motor in, the car will never look good inside because the dash would be back, you would have to move the front seats back and then have no back seat, in a 4 door car... I feel like people who have these ideas dont think about everything, its would be sweet but just buy a G8 if you want a 4dr with a RWD v8. You compaired the swap to two RWD cars (RX7/S2K), the V8 swap in both is 20x easier.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bmeyer
Psssssh. I'd be downgrading, IMHO, if I went to a vette or 350z from my turbo stroker.
The only reason i said upgrade is because its a RWD car! But i would LOVE to drive a stroker with a turbo!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
The only reason i said upgrade is because its a RWD car! But i would LOVE to drive a stroker with a turbo!!!
Yah. Just razzin' ya.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

I shot it down right away because you would have to be crazy to try to do this and spend the same amount of money as the car was selling for new (base) to make it RWD with a V8. I helped a friend do an s2k swap in a Del Sol which is a much easier car to cut apart and mod (that and they are worth nothing so if you screw up getting a new one is cheap) and it still took over 2 years to complete and then all said and done you have a Del Sol that you sunk 10-20k into and you would be lucky to sell it for 8-10. Sorry to be so negitave but all you talked about was fitment, not suspension, rear end, wiring, engine management, gauge setup, fuel (your axle is now where your tank was), or dash. If some even managed to get the motor in, the car will never look good inside because the dash would be back, you would have to move the front seats back and then have no back seat, in a 4 door car... I feel like people who have these ideas dont think about everything, its would be sweet but just buy a G8 if you want a 4dr with a RWD v8. You compaired the swap to two RWD cars (RX7/S2K), the V8 swap in both is 20x easier.
If nobody discussed these ideas than you wouldn't have that turbo. Its because we discuss these things that people are willing to try and find the solution. For engine managament if you are running a stock LSX than all you need is the computer. Send it out and have the VATS disabled and you are done. Keep the stock computer in place to maintain all of the luxury items like you do with the J&R computer. Wiring- Painless will build you a harness for anything so that is not an issue either. The front seats should not have to be moved back. There is plenty of room behind the dash to keep that in place. Not sure why you think the dash has to be moved. Have you seen how bulky it is? A possible solution for a rear end would be the Cobra IRS. 62" width just like the TL. For a fuel tank the 4th gen TL one could be an option.

I would love to own a G8 but since Pontiac is no more there are a limited number. I like the way my TL looks and don't want another car. But I would love RWD. We do these things because we love our cars. If we wanted something different we would have bought it instead.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just mount the engine in the trunk. do somethin crazy like rhys millen did to that gen coupe. id support it
Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Here is an example of a similar project and the amount of work you would have to do. This guy spent a better part of over 4 years doing this...

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=981613
Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
If nobody discussed these ideas than you wouldn't have that turbo. Its because we discuss these things that people are willing to try and find the solution. For engine managament if you are running a stock LSX than all you need is the computer. Send it out and have the VATS disabled and you are done. Keep the stock computer in place to maintain all of the luxury items like you do with the J&R computer. Wiring- Painless will build you a harness for anything so that is not an issue either. The front seats should not have to be moved back. There is plenty of room behind the dash to keep that in place. Not sure why you think the dash has to be moved. Have you seen how bulky it is? A possible solution for a rear end would be the Cobra IRS. 62" width just like the TL. For a fuel tank the 4th gen TL one could be an option.

I would love to own a G8 but since Pontiac is no more there are a limited number. I like the way my TL looks and don't want another car. But I would love RWD. We do these things because we love our cars. If we wanted something different we would have bought it instead.
Lol, a turbo for the car or full swap with a LS engine AND making it RWD is a COMPLETE total different animal we're talking about.

Kickazz spent about 25-30k on a Turbo with everything for about 600WHP.

You're going to spend double that to do this AND not get 600WHP. And you don't even know what would happen down the line! Now for 50-60k I'd rather buy a M3 or C63 AMG or an other car to avoid the hassle.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Lol, a turbo for the car or full swap with a LS engine AND making it RWD is a COMPLETE total different animal we're talking about.

You're going to spend double that to do this AND not get 600WHP. And you don't even know what would happen down the line! Now for 50-60k I'd rather buy a M3 or C63 AMG or an other car to avoid the hassle.

:w hat::wha t:
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Instructor

I am not saying that its not do able due to funds (spent 15k on my Civic and 18k on my 240sx before i was 22 (all money i earned myself!)) but it just does not make any sense to throw that kind of money into this car. You would have to cut out the trunk floor and restructure the rear end and then cut the tunnel out and rebuild a new rear sus. thats if you want to go RWD. Then for FWD you will have to fully re configure you front sus, and sub frame, along with most likely frame rails. Also throw in there hood issues, core support issues and wiring. Not worth it at all for a FWD car. Build a strocker and throw on a turbo, once you out grow that or are sick of throwing all that money away on a FWD car then you can upgrade to a Vette or 350z ect.
350z.. smh
Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
DANSOLOW

I'm gonna try and email some companies soon and see what they say and check out ls1tech.. If something comes up I'll be sure to inform everyone:..
Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Well props to him. But whats the point in a 600hp fwd that won't ever hook without slicks and low pressure. The OP is talking about an LSX swap. I'm sure it could be done for less than what he spent. And it doesn't cost a whole lot to make a lot of power out of an LSX. We all have different opinions and I'm not going to take a shot at anyone for their opinion.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

This whole thread is a bunch of what ifs and well maybe. Once someone can show that this could be done and can show that they have the know how to do it then it can be a serious topic. Even then i would still say your throwing your money (A fuc* ton of it) away but i would give huge props to the person who did it.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Do it OP.....don't be a pussy! (I'm not being sarcastic BTW, I really want to see it done)
Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
You are Nuts, Plus a Chevy Impala Engine with Tranny from 97 will never fit. My Mom has one of those Beast and shits huge. GL with this
Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the swap done yet ?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by geezr98
Is the swap done yet ?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:32 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
anything is doable with engough $. but you better have tons of cut off wheels, lol
Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Xiomaro
anything is doable with engough $. but you better have tons of cut off wheels, lol
I have a plasma cutter, and some angle iron. Anyone have a donar TL?

In all seriousness. If anyone really wants to do it contact me. I will do the swap for you for the cost of parts.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:17 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Closest I have seen....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwx9TM6c-KU
Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TLdream
I have a plasma cutter, and some angle iron. Anyone have a donar TL?

In all seriousness. If anyone really wants to do it contact me. I will do the swap for you for the cost of parts.
lol, i wouldn't want to. turbo is way too fun
Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 PM
DANSOLOW

Originally Posted by JMillerUA6
Do it OP.....don't be a pussy! (I'm not being sarcastic BTW, I really want to see it done)

I'm trying! I really want to do it! It's gonna take some time for research Before I start.. I really want to do this
Old 05-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hahaha
Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Cruisin'

A RWD TL would be sick but I'm not gonna drop that kind of bread on that tho I might as well get a M3