A leased TL but need mods!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009 | 12:12 AM
A Black TL

A leased TL but need mods!

Okay guys i guess i gotta do some modding now, can't stand my stock TL lol, the bug is biting hard, but dammit the TL is leased wat mods shall i do, that is easy to replace stock and is good?
Old 07-10-2009 | 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator

cat-back exhaust, j-pipe, CAI, RSB, maybe a set of lightweight rims/tires...
Old 07-10-2009 | 05:19 AM
SlammedOnKonis

You can pretty much do anything.

My car is leased and look what I've done to it. Give me two weeks and I can turn it back to stock easily.
Old 07-10-2009 | 12:51 PM
Drifting

my tl is leased too.

i kept all the stock parts so im all good
Old 07-11-2009 | 12:11 AM
A Black TL

What parts do u have?
Old 07-11-2009 | 12:35 AM
c_v
6th Gear

CAI, led head lights, ron jon body kit, rims. just keep all your original parts.
Old 07-11-2009 | 01:51 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
What parts do u have?
If you're asking me:

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications:

-AEM Intake
-P2R TB Spacer w/ TB Coolant Bypass Mod
-UR Underdrive Pulley
-RV6 J-Pipe
-RV6 Race Pipe
-ATLP exhaust with satin black powdercoated tips

Suspension Modifications:

-Koni Yellow SP3 Shocks
-Neuspeed Race Springs (2nd lowest perch front, lowest perch rear)
-Progress Rear Sway Bar (Track Setting)
-Ingalls Rear Camber Kit

Wheels/Tires Modifications:

-Rays Nismo A34 Gunmetal (19x8.5 +35)
-Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season 245/35/19

Interior/Exterior Modifications:

-A-Spec front lip
-Color-matched grill and emblems
-6000k HID headlights
-8000k HID fogs
-Full LED interior
-Carbon Fiber interior trim
-LED license plate/reverse lights
-Tinted taillights
-5% tint all-around
-OEM Window Visors

I've kept all my stock parts...a nice long weekend with a jack, jack stands, and my tools would make my car 80% stock.

As for the painted grill and front lip, I'd just need to swap out my front bumper for a stock one, as well as my painted emblems and trim. Oh yeah and I'd need to buy a set of type-s rims.
Old 07-11-2009 | 09:32 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

I dont know why people heavily mod leased cars
Old 07-11-2009 | 09:36 AM
Cruisin'

i also got my TL n stock n im sick of it i think it time to mod it up
( not Tl-S )
Old 07-11-2009 | 10:37 AM
Team Owner

Okay guys i guess i gotta do some modding now, can't stand my stock TL lol, the bug is biting hard, but dammit the TL is leased wat mods shall i do, that is easy to replace stock and is good?
Originally Posted by Blazing GT

TL|GTX-a lot of it depends on what you're going to do with the car when the lease expires. If you're going to keep the car-go crazy with the mods. If you're not sure what you're going to do at the end of the lease, you might consider to mods that will be easy to take off at the end of the lease (ie: cold air intake, etc.)

Please realize the performance mods can be more easily resold than aesthetic mods. Plus, you'll probably have to walk away from the aesthetic mods if you don't keep your car at the end of the lease.
Old 07-11-2009 | 12:46 PM
Former Whyner

I dont know why people heavily mod RL cars

O yeah welcome back
Old 07-11-2009 | 01:26 PM
A Black TL

jeeze ifirahse, thats alot. I guess i will do only some exhaust stuff not enough money to buy a 1k exhaust system, and a cai. But i was wondering thier is a muffler man shop 2miles down from my house, i was wonder if he can like remove the mid muffler, the cat, and add a j-pipe if i bought 1? And he could re-weld them or put the stock j-pipe, cat, and mid muffler? And would the dealer notice if i take the car in for like a recall? Would he cancel the warrenty, or get in trouble for modding a leased car.
Old 07-11-2009 | 02:20 PM
SlammedOnKonis

jeeze ifirahse, thats alot. I guess i will do only some exhaust stuff not enough money to buy a 1k exhaust system, and a cai. But i was wondering thier is a muffler man shop 2miles down from my house, i was wonder if he can like remove the mid muffler, the cat, and add a j-pipe if i bought 1? And he could re-weld them or put the stock j-pipe, cat, and mid muffler? And would the dealer notice if i take the car in for like a recall? Would he cancel the warrenty, or get in trouble for modding a leased car.
Well, if you don't have the money for an "official" exhaust, you can always get the muffler shop to bend you some 2.5">2.25" straight pipe and have it welded to any mufflers you want. It would be the same exact gains as any other catback, and you'd be spending half the money.

I wouldn't touch the stock exhaust, imo it doesn't sound good when the stock exhaust is stripped of the resonator or mid-muffler.

The dealer wouldn't cancel the warranty on your whole car if you touch just the exhaust, they'd just deny you warranty on your exhaust system...but since when does an exhaust system fail anyways?

As for as I know, dealer doesn't see whether a car is leased or not, all they look at is whether it's under warranty.

Would the dealer rather me have my car stock? Yes, but f them.
Old 07-11-2009 | 02:23 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Because every single mod I have is removable.

Let's say I bought the car...I'd want to sell it after 3-4 years anyways, and it would make more sense to sell the car without mods than with them.

And I'm sure some people don't understand why someone would mod an RL...
Old 07-11-2009 | 05:44 PM
Drifting

^^^^^^^^+19032452395843958043589043589043593858123 6749235457
Old 07-12-2009 | 09:22 PM
A Black TL

im just gunna take it easy, i read the whole exhuast thread. Tommoro im going to the muffler man, and gunna have him remove my mid-muffler and replace it with a str8 pipe. And gunna get my windows tinted also, is thier anything i have 2 worry about when he removes the mid muff, and in a year or so if i return the car can he weld back on muffler? And about the tints do i have 2 worry about anything?
Old 07-12-2009 | 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

And would the dealer notice if i take the car in for like a recall? Would he cancel the warrenty, or get in trouble for modding a leased car.
As long as you don't make it obvious to the dealer you're nervous about the mods affecting the warranty, they won't care.

I've had mine in recently, & the closest thing they were concerned about (besides the original issue) was why the car was loud at idle. They didn't say a word to me afterwards.
Old 07-13-2009 | 02:12 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

honestly... mine was a lease too... what didn't I do to it
Old 07-14-2009 | 03:48 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
I dont know why people heavily mod RL cars

O yeah welcome back
to be sexier than common TLs
Old 07-14-2009 | 03:51 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Originally Posted by ifirahse

Let's say I bought the car...I'd want to sell it after 3-4 years anyways, and it would make more sense to sell the car without mods than with them.

And I'm sure some people don't understand why someone would mod an RL...
different scenario there buddy.....

My RL is bought...not leased....

why mod any car? to make it better right?
you can say why mod a TL?

but why HEAVILY mod a lease car that you will be returning....
Like i honestly never understood that...
Old 07-14-2009 | 07:44 PM
Former Whyner

to be sexier than common TLs
Here let me help you

https://acurazine.com/forums/
Old 07-14-2009 | 08:20 PM
SlammedOnKonis

different scenario there buddy.....

My RL is bought...not leased....

why mod any car? to make it better right?
you can say why mod a TL?

but why HEAVILY mod a lease car that you will be returning....
Like i honestly never understood that...
I'm not talking about whether the car is bought or leased, I'm talking about the fact that the RL isn't a car that's popular to mod...due to the fact that there's pretty much 0 aftermarket support for it, and that it's a grandpa car.

I guess you didn't read what I posted above...so I'll post it again:

Does that make sense or no? Even better that I'm returning it if anything. My stiff, lowered suspension is making my car rattle more in addition to wearing out other suspension parts quicker. I won't need to deal with those things once it's out of warranty since it's leased...

Now I'll wait for a response...
Old 07-14-2009 | 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm not talking about whether the car is bought or leased, I'm talking about the fact that the RL isn't a car that's popular to mod...due to the fact that there's pretty much 0 aftermarket support for it, and that it's a grandpa car.

I guess you didn't read what I posted above...so I'll post it again:

Does that make sense or no? Even better that I'm returning it if anything. My stiff, lowered suspension is making my car rattle more in addition to wearing out other suspension parts quicker. I won't need to deal with those things once it's out of warranty since it's leased...

Now I'll wait for a response...
Response to RL:

Old 07-14-2009 | 11:31 PM
SlammedOnKonis

^ That RL is gorgeous...but hey, I never said the RL is an ugly car, I just said that there aren't many modded ones for the reason that there's almost 0 aftermarket support and that...it's a grandpa car.

Other than the rims, spoiler, and drop, I don't really see anything else that's non-oem on that car. That being said, it's not like the TL has a ridiculous amount of aftermarket parts, but more so than the RL.

I don't really care anymore, this thread is about modding leased cars so please can we leave it at that.
Old 07-14-2009 | 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

nice RL! but back to the topic it would be a pain modding a leased tl then at the end of the lease have to take everything off then put the stock parts back on. to me it seems like it would be a pain in the butt to do all of that
Old 07-15-2009 | 08:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

the White RL is the hottest RL on the Planet. And to the OP- pretty much everone has covered it, if you plan on keeping it after the lease, then mod like crazy, do whatever the budget allows...then some, haha- but if you are not going to keep this car, and you do plan on turning in back in, I would def be careful of the mods that you perform. It would not make sense to "heavily" mod just to have to turn it back over, but hey...its totally up to you man. I would just know what my plans were 100% when the lease is up, then base my decision upon that.

Last edited by jeowen; 07-15-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2009 | 09:12 AM
Full of water...

im just gunna take it easy, i read the whole exhuast thread. Tommoro im going to the muffler man, and gunna have him remove my mid-muffler and replace it with a str8 pipe. And gunna get my windows tinted also, is thier anything i have 2 worry about when he removes the mid muff, and in a year or so if i return the car can he weld back on muffler? And about the tints do i have 2 worry about anything?

even though "tomorrow" was two days ago, i would have skipped what you are doing and just add the j-pipe and 3rd cat delete. if you want performance gains i doubt this will do much for you. the mid muffler, if i am correct, is there more for sound deadening and is not a cause of big restrictions. while the stock j-pipe and cat do restrict flow quite a bit...but good luck with the mods either way!
Old 07-15-2009 | 12:24 PM
A Black TL

actually i didnt do anything yet, the muffler place was closed. For sure i will take the mid-muff out, but wat else can i do that is safe, the resonator?
Old 07-15-2009 | 12:26 PM
Drifting

DUDE u talk a big game, save your money and buy a catback exhaust. fcuk getting the "stage 2" exhaust. its such a waste. i use to think it was good, but its USELESS
Old 07-15-2009 | 12:37 PM
Drifting

not to mention the fact that you will need to get the mid muffler welded back on because anyone that looks under the car will notice. especially since most places do shitty welds, and it looks like shit since they dont grind down the excess

you cant weld when the exhaust is on the car and have it be perfect. you need to take it down then measure, then cut and weld for it to be perfect

idk about any of you but everything on my car needs to be perfect, otherwise it looks like shit
Old 07-16-2009 | 12:06 PM
causing mischief & mayham

Originally Posted by greco9885
not to mention the fact that you will need to get the mid muffler welded back on because anyone that looks under the car will notice. especially since most places do shitty welds, and it looks like shit since they dont grind down the excess

you cant weld when the exhaust is on the car and have it be perfect. you need to take it down then measure, then cut and weld for it to be perfect

idk about any of you but everything on my car needs to be perfect, otherwise it looks like shit

Mine looks perfect only because my boy owns a muffler shop and is not gonna send me out looking like shit. But for you other people that have to pay for it thats a different story. No shitty welds that need to be ground down. Just nice clean work and someone that takes pride in what they do!!
Old 08-04-2009 | 12:29 PM
Banned

I still think TL is better then RL, just for the overall look of the cars. Tl carries a younger look then the RL.
Old 08-05-2009 | 01:32 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Just get a J-pipe and springs, if you fail to return those two items to stock they might not even notice so its not a big worry.

I bought springs for my leased TL, they lowered the car an 1.5" on sport springs, they costed $150, it was one of the best mods I could have done at the time (J-pipe wasn't availible at the time). It makes the car look better and it gives it more stability at high speeds/changing lanes/cornering. It also improved my MPG by a 1~2 miles a gallon.

The J-pipe will increase torque and horsepower and you should notice a boost in performance and gas mileage as well.
Old 08-05-2009 | 01:59 AM
A Black TL

U know what a j-pipe sounds perfect? The only thing so far ive done is take the mid-muffler out and the car sounds almost like a g35 it sounds so nice. But for the j-pipe do i need to take anything besides the old 1 out and replace it?
Old 08-05-2009 | 06:41 AM
Full of water...

But for the j-pipe do i need to take anything besides the old 1 out and replace it?
nope, its an exact swap for the old one.