J-Series Engine Mounts Compared: Innovative & XLR8 Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
J-Series Engine Mounts Compared: Innovative & XLR8 Mounts

J-series Polyurethane Engine Mount Kits Compared: Innovative Mounts and XLR8 Mounts (Read on Heeltoeauto.com!)

The J-series engine mount game has been somewhat heavily contested over the years; Innovative versus XLR8. We get calls and emails all the time about these two quality brands from people confused about forum hearsay and old, outdated posts. This article is going to lay out some of the similarities and differences between these two great performance mount kits.

First, a bit of backstory. There seems to be this lingering rumor that the Innovative Mounts are inherently bad because of “donuting” or deformation of the ploy bushings. Factually, there was a thread posted on Acurcazine.com which discussed the issues with an old Innovative design. Speculation and/or general consensus was that the bushing design used by Innovative was not adequate for the load they were under. The design of the mount and/or bushing needed improvement. What is important to know is that many years ago the Innovative kit was completely redesigned in an aptly innovative way, and that while threads on the internet are relatively permanent, product design and reputation is not. The current design is not susceptible to bushing deformation at all.

Now that that is clear, we'll get the comparo going.

Factory mounts are very good at isolating noise and vibration from the engine. Despite what you might read online, they are actually fairly durable as well. They usually last in excess of 100,000 miles, except in some cases where heavy duty-cycle (aggressive driving with performance mods) can cause them to wear prematurely. It should be understood that changing to aftermarket mounts will noticeably increase both noise and vibration inside the cabin significantly. Whatever polyurethane mount set you choose, it won’t result in fluid filled, rubber-dampened comfort. Your Acura TL won’t feel quite so luxurious with poly mounts in, regardless of the durometer you choose. That said, original mounts can fail with increasing frequency with the intensity of power addition that enthusiasts do these days. If you just need new mounts after 120,000 miles, we might suggest new stock mounts. If you are looking for more performance, read on.

But there is clearly a need for performance polyurethane engine mounts for J-series engines, so here they are. Now, both kits, XLR8 on the left, Innovative on the right:

They look pretty different, don’t they?

The old Innovative kit used to look similar to the current XLR8 kit, but Innovative rethought the loading and potential for problems with front and rear mounts and addressed them by turning the bushings on end. With a lateral mount position, the surface area that carries the weight of the mount is pretty small. With the bushings mounted vertically, the load is carried over a larger area and the bushings have been proven to be much more durable over time, even the softest 60A durometer that presented an issue with the old design.

If the CNC stainless steel bracket on the Innovative mount above looks turned 90 degrees, that is because it is. We were playing with swapping bushings and accitdently left this one off in the pcis.

The rear mount is the same arrangement as the front. The front and rear position mount design are critical due to their need to the loading they take as the engine moves back and forth on and off the throttle. The XLR8 mounts using the lateral bushing layout have been reliable. Our preference is the Innovative method. We don’t try to steer customers one way or the other here, as it seems a matter of preference.

Both mounts use precition cut steel parts which are assembled and welded. One nice feature of the Innovative mount is the individual parts all lock together to locate themselves before welding. The XLR8 design is simpler, but by interlocking the parts before welding there is far less chance of assembling incorrectly before welding. Ultimately, both parts are made in good fixtures that produce repeatable good fitment and we have no complaints about installation on either.

While the front and rear subframe mounts take the burnt of the drivetrain load, the standard engine mount on the right side of the engine tends to fail pretty frequently. Thusly, XLR8 and Innovative Ploy Mount kits both include these passenger-side mounts.

Functionally these mounts do the same thing, but there is no denying the amount of craftsmanship that has gone into the Innovative Mounts rivals the XLR8 ones. If we look at how the load is carried on these mounts, both bushings are mounted laterally. As the engine moves in the mounts, the XLR8 bushings undergo a twisting force, while the Innovative ones undergo a rotational force along the axis of the bolt. As such, there would be more force needed to move the XLR8 mount, putting more stress on the steel brackets. We do have one recorded failure of the XLR8 design here, but it seems to have been an anomoly. We don't see problems with either design in general. Again, we don’t try to steer customers here, but the material and fabrication quality is noticeably more impressive in one of these mounts:

The above shot gives a good look at the shape and size of the Innovative bushings as compared to the XLR8 ones. The Innovative ones are smaller, and have a tapered face to them. Speculation has it that these two factors were contributing to the "donuting" that occurred when the bushings were allowing the mount pins to sag in the material, permanently deforming it. The XLR8 bushings are larger and have flat faces, but these two factors cannot contribute to a more stable bushing. The load is the same. Making the bushing more captive in one area to prevent it from squishing out would only serve to cause it to squish into a different area. The size of the bushing would not prevent the material from deforming either; The reason being, the deformation happens at the point of application of force. Two bushings of the same durometer with a 1/2" hole in the middle are going to deform the same at the hole, whether the OD is 3" or 10".

Thus, with the XLR8 design, we feel, without having measured them, that the stiffness of the softest XLR8 bushings (62A) must be significantly more than that of the softest Innovative bushings (60A); more than the durometers would imply. Otherwise, they would be deforming as well. One of these two is not providing an accurate bushing durometer, it would seem.

But ultimately what difference does it make? We have tested both the 60A and 75A Innovative bushings in our TSX and noticed essentially no difference in vibration between the two. Poly is poly and is going to be uncomfortable.

So there we have it. A real, current-day look at the differences between the XLR8 and Innovative mounts for Honda and Acura J-Series engines. Which one is for you? Take your pick. We sell both at Heeltoeauto.com!

Last edited by MrHeeltoe; 06-13-2014 at 10:11 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by MrHeeltoe:
DrOwNiNgPoOl84 (06-15-2014), EL BAN (10-03-2014), princelybug (06-15-2014), st_dot (06-13-2014), UTAH TSX (09-25-2014), Vlad_Type_S (06-13-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

06-13-2014, 10:14 AM
MrHeeltoe
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by twigglius
Appreciate the post, however, to get a real and accurate portrayal I feel we need a 3rd party. If Josh reviews XLR8 bushings he will favor those since it benefits him. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't innovative your company? If so, of course you will lean towards your bushings/mounts.

At the end of the day this really holds little weight until a 3rd party, that has knowledge of both products conducts a test.
1) I state numerous times in the post that I don't steer customers one way or another, and this post is not intended to do so either. Just because I personally prefer the Innovative does not mean I push it more.

2) I do not own Innovative. I wish I did. They have an amazing manufacturing capability for being a small company. They water-jet, weld, fab, and make their own poly bushings ALL IN HOUSE. Only thing they don't do is powdercoat.

3) Heeltoe IS the 3rd party. We don't make either, we sell both. We have a vested interest in customer satisfaction and don't care which mounts people buy. We are just showing you the differences.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
This is an awesome write up. Thanks Marcus!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Appreciate the post, however, to get a real and accurate portrayal I feel we need a 3rd party. If Josh reviews XLR8 bushings he will favor those since it benefits him. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't innovative your company? If so, of course you will lean towards your bushings/mounts.

At the end of the day this really holds little weight until a 3rd party, that has knowledge of both products conducts a test.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by twigglius

1) I state numerous times in the post that I don't steer customers one way or another, and this post is not intended to do so either. Just because I personally prefer the Innovative does not mean I push it more.

2) I do not own Innovative. I wish I did. They have an amazing manufacturing capability for being a small company. They water-jet, weld, fab, and make their own poly bushings ALL IN HOUSE. Only thing they don't do is powdercoat.

3) Heeltoe IS the 3rd party. We don't make either, we sell both. We have a vested interest in customer satisfaction and don't care which mounts people buy. We are just showing you the differences.
The following 10 users liked this post by MrHeeltoe:
1black_seven (06-13-2014), 1uncleanTL-S (10-04-2014), blownhatch (06-15-2014), DrOwNiNgPoOl84 (06-15-2014), EL BAN (10-03-2014), EvilVirus (06-14-2014), justnspace (06-13-2014), simione (06-13-2014), sockr1 (01-09-2020), twigglius (06-13-2014) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
twigglius, the review is also not pitting them against each other.
its for you to look at the differences and for you to come up with your own decision on which one to go with.

very unbiased review, Marcus. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
twigglius (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Thanks for the review
Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Moved to the LOU

I guess I look at things differently. I'm in the world of marketing and advertising so I think about vested interest. How do I know that Heel Toe does not make more of a profit by selling innovative mounts vs. XLR8?

Marcus, you are correct that you stated several times that you do not steer customers. But you also stated in the review that "our preference" when referring to design. Am informative article should have no we, our, terms, etc...

You indirectly and cunningly lean towards innovative mounts. This is totally fine and I'm sure they are both exceptional products. I am just pointing out what I see.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Marcus, as usual, you have written an excellent write up. Thank you. I just wanted to clarify some points below that I think are worth adding to this write-up.

Firstly, while I agree that the new Innovative mount kits are better designed than previously there still is the issue of their bushings and the tendency for them to "doughnut". The bushings are smaller, softer, and more prone to distortion. We've seen it dozens of times and in recent years. I can post image after image of it.

Secondly, this new design is still relatively new so it's still difficult to say how durable they really are. You wrote:

What is important to know is that many years ago the Innovative kit was completely redesigned in an aptly innovative way, and that while threads on the internet are relatively permanent, product design and reputation is not.

But even according to this FB post these are only 1.5 years old and since these had a bad reputation for so long I doubt everyone flocked to buy these too quickly. Thus it would be difficult to say that they've stood the test of time.

https://www.facebook.com/HeeltoeAuto...96682483780745

Thirdly, you wrote:

The current design is not susceptible to bushing deformation at all.

Well all bushings do deform over time. It may take years upon years and 100,000 miles but they will deform. So I don't think it's fair to conclude there will be no "bushing deformation at all".

Fourthly, Innovative, as a company, is one of the most disorganized companies we've ever dealt with and some of their products have not been designed properly. Our XLR8 mounts ship the same day, on time, and when said they will ship. Innovative ships mounts and orders 3-4 weeks after the order, in our experience. My point is a company's reputation in fulfilling orders as well as design is important as well.

Fifthly, yes you do sell both products but there is obviously some pricing and marketing advantages to selling Innovative mounts over XLR8 mounts. And you stated above that Heeltoe's preference is for the Innovative method and design. So this isn't an entirely neutral write-up.

Again, I'm not posting up to argue or mud sling but I thought this is a needed post amidst the thorough write-up you provided above.
twigglius (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

First counter-point: We've sold many of these kits, and are using a set in our personal TSX (same mount design). We've not recorded one failure of complaint since then. You must know something we don't.

Second counter-point: We've been selling these for 2 years now. I think that's a pretty good amount of time to claim the product is problem free. The reputation is poor because there is a popular post chastising an old design, and nobody has really bothered to pay attention that the design was revised and is more reliable in the past. XLR8's been riding that wave for a while selling mounts based on theirs being trouble free as compared to Innovative, but that is not a realistic claim any more, and has not been for years.

Third counter-point: Ok, maybe saying "at all" is an overstatement. But practically, a user should expect to find that these mounts will stand the time.

Forth counter-point: Innovative as a company has it's niggling attributes, as does every vendor we deal with. EVERY vendor of ours is a pain from time to time. Yes, XLR8 mounts ship fast, but we also stock Innovative ones and they ship within a day or so most of the time as well. This is a bit of a feeble claim, that the company is unreliable. They are as good or as bad as the next place out there, depending on the perspective and the timing.

Fifth counter-point: If someone wants an Innovative kit because I like them, or if someone wants an XLR8 kit to be loyal to Excelerate or because they cost less, or someone wants stock mounts for the comfort (which we directly tell people not to buy either as much as we recommend one or the other) then that is their decision. Customer says "Which is better?" We say, they are both great, reliable, fit well, and are well made. "Which would you get?" We say, Innovative. We like the design better, and they look nicer. Different questions get different answers.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

PS: we sell more XLR8 than Innovative...so our opinion only means so much...
Old 06-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
First counter-point: We've sold many of these kits, and are using a set in our personal TSX (same mount design). We've not recorded one failure of complaint since then. You must know something we don't.
The TSX is a 4 cylinder so the weight of the motor is significantly less. And there's hundreds of threads showing Innovative bushing deformation. I'm not challenging the design or the steel, just the bushing.

Second counter-point: We've been selling these for 2 years now. I think that's a pretty good amount of time to claim the product is problem free. The reputation is poor because there is a popular post chastising an old design, and nobody has really bothered to pay attention that the design was revised and is more reliable in the past. XLR8's been riding that wave for a while selling mounts based on theirs being trouble free as compared to Innovative, but that is not a realistic claim any more, and has not been for years.
Your statement was that many years ago these were re-designed but it's been less than 2 years since they re-designed these. I'm not saying the new design isn't more effective, just that they haven't been on the market many years.

I've not been riding any wave, other than the one that is tried and true. Our XLR8 mounts have been out that a lot longer and have proven to be more durable.

Third counter-point: Ok, maybe saying "at all" is an overstatement. But practically, a user should expect to find that these mounts will stand the time.
Very good. We look forward to finding out.

Forth counter-point: Innovative as a company has it's niggling attributes, as does every vendor we deal with. EVERY vendor of ours is a pain from time to time. Yes, XLR8 mounts ship fast, but we also stock Innovative ones and they ship within a day or so most of the time as well. This is a bit of a feeble claim, that the company is unreliable. They are as good or as bad as the next place out there, depending on the perspective and the timing.
I disagree. I cannot explain how many times we dealt with Innovative saying the part was in stock and then it wasn't. It's a testament to how they do business and customers want their products today, not next month. So it's a factory to consider in your discussion of what product to consider.

Fifth counter-point: If someone wants an Innovative kit because I like them, or if someone wants an XLR8 kit to be loyal to Excelerate or because they cost less, or someone wants stock mounts for the comfort (which we directly tell people not to buy either as much as we recommend one or the other) then that is their decision. Customer says "Which is better?" We say, they are both great, reliable, fit well, and are well made. "Which would you get?" We say, Innovative. We like the design better, and they look nicer. Different questions get different answers.
I understand but your preference is Innovative so I was just pointing out that members should consider that when reading this write-up.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

From a 3rd party review to a mine is better in no time! ;(
Old 06-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
I volunteer my car to test these mounts out on! . I will even autocross them for you!

...Any takers??
Deeznutz8 (08-14-2020)
Old 06-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pohljm
From a 3rd party review to a mine is better in no time! ;(
There is no "mine." I will still happily sell a person either kit, and advise them that both are good quality and function the same. I don't make either. There is no "mine." There has been a very significant difference between these two kits for years now, and I am not seeing that anyone has every really pointed that out.

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
I volunteer my car to test these mounts out on! . I will even autocross them for you!

...Any takers??
We don't mind sponsoring and effort like this.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor

XLR8 can dispute the notion that Innovative mounts might be reliable, but they are the vendor that should come under scrutiny for bias more than Heeltoe. They are the producer of their own kit and have much more interest in retaining market-share over the competition. Heeltoe sells both and makes neither. Our interest is only in customer service and information.

If popular opinion proves that the XLR8 mounts are better, we are happy to offer them to our customers as long as XLR8 will supply them to us. Our sole interest is in educating our customers and providing the products that will make them happiest. If the extra money for an Innovative mount kit seems totally unreal and unjustified, by all means don't buy them.

If our comparison makes it seem like the Innovative ones are better, then we'd like to think you guys are making your own determination there and not just taking our word for it...which we are really not saying anyway.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 PM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
Thanks for the write up comparing the two

I currently have the redesigned Innovative with 60A bushings installed on my '04 TL for a year now. I only have the Front and Side installed, there was just too much vibration with the Rear installed, so I have OEM for the Rear.

I've put about 13k miles on the car and haven't had any issues with them. Just the Front and Side does a excellent job at keeping the engine from rocking back and forth.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Moved to the LOU

we don't mind sponsoring and effort like this.
A real test would be awesome to see. Doooo it.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Marcus, I completely agree with your unbiased review. I was refering to Josh's commentary
MrHeeltoe (06-20-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wilzrsx
I only have the Front and Side installed, there was just too much vibration with the Rear installed, so I have OEM for the Rear.
So with the oem rear only, you have cabin free vibration or just a little?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:39 AM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
Why don't u get front innovative mounts n rear xlr8 mount n call it a day
But I like Marcus n his write ups. He's the man.

Josh is cool too he have the best prices in America for all I know.

Last edited by kingkong_dav; 06-15-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Thanks Marcus!
I am doing a few engine modifications that are going to trash my old style 75A's
Thinking I'll give the new style IM's a shot.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 AM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by cokorote
So with the oem rear only, you have cabin free vibration or just a little?
just a little and not much more when a/c is on
cokorote (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 595 Likes on 408 Posts
I have the xlr8 75 durometer ones. I can't compare the two as I've never tried the innovative ones, but loving these mounts so far. Had a lot of vibration when A/C was on initially, but they broke in after a good ~3k miles, and ~80% of vibrations are gone, and yes they are still tight I checked the torque couple weeks ago. It's been 8k miles now and they rock, hardly any noticeable vibration now and they take all the beating I throw at them. Engine feels more connected to the car now and power delivery to the wheels is instant, whereas before on the stock mounts the engine would rock first then car would move. Now she moves as soon as I hit the gas.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Thanks Marcus!
I am doing a few engine modifications that are going to trash my old style 75A's
Thinking I'll give the new style IM's a shot.
This brings up a great point. Innovative informed me that if anyone has the old mounts and has any kind of failure with them, they will switch them out for you for the new style mounts. Innovative has been painted as a poor company that didn't design a part well, but they are pretty up-standing people. No, their administration is not perfect. But, few people's are in this industry.

Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
I have the xlr8 75 durometer ones. I can't compare the two as I've never tried the innovative ones, but loving these mounts so far. Had a lot of vibration when A/C was on initially, but they broke in after a good ~3k miles, and ~80% of vibrations are gone, and yes they are still tight I checked the torque couple weeks ago. It's been 8k miles now and they rock, hardly any noticeable vibration now and they take all the beating I throw at them. Engine feels more connected to the car now and power delivery to the wheels is instant, whereas before on the stock mounts the engine would rock first then car would move. Now she moves as soon as I hit the gas.
Nice review. I am a bit skeptical on the "hardly any noticeable" vibration. Not because I don't believe the vibration improved...I think this is a combination of you having them broken in and you getting more used to them. I bet if you put the stock mounts back in there would be a huge NVH difference. Again, I am sure the vibration is lower now that it was, but to other folks not used to it I'd think it would be quite noticeable. What are your thoughts on that statement?
Old 06-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
^^

Agreed. They don't "break in" in a few thousand miles. You just get used to them. I have the XLR8 60 on the front and side and still OEM on the rear. I've got about 3-4k on them and thought the vibrations were smoother than after the initial install, but then I drove a stock 3G. I was wrong, lol. My car still isn't Nissan VQ coarse.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
^^

Agreed. They don't "break in" in a few thousand miles. You just get used to them. I have the XLR8 60 on the front and side and still OEM on the rear. I've got about 3-4k on them and thought the vibrations were smoother than after the initial install, but then I drove a stock 3G. I was wrong, lol. My car still isn't Nissan VQ coarse.
agree completely about this. you get used to vibrations because when someone new gets in and you turn on the ac....they are like wth haha.

might be putting my rear oem back in seems like more and more are doing this.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Former Sponsor

I am sending both sets of mounts in these images to Bret from Yawsport. He will give us his take on them, see how they perform and install in his hillclimb TL.

The following 2 users liked this post by MrHeeltoe:
1uncleanTL-S (06-25-2014), pohljm (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 08:49 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the innovative 60a all around in a 6mt I get really hard vibes it I let out clutch too much at release point and give little to none throttle but that only happens when I'm tired if I leave normal with right amount of throttle no shakes but when ac is on car does shake a bit also on cold starts hope that helps it doesn't bother me but my wife hates it when she drives ��
Old 07-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
put the rear oem mount back on and it's a perfect balance between rigidity and vibrations...vibrations reduce big time with an oem rear mount. completely satisfied with my setup now
Old 10-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 315 Posts
Ordered on sunday at my door on wendsday thank you HeelToe, will be installing tonight the front and right mounts and drive it for a few days before we install the rear mount so we can see what the difference is, very nice looking quality stuff the pictures don't show how nice they really are.
MrHeeltoe (10-06-2014)