J&R ECU and Water/Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
might've missed it...but is this beneficial for us NA guys or only turbo/FI?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
What's this fast acting valve you guys are talking about?
http://www.howertonengineering.net/p...ing-Valve.html

(In first post)
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Is it a solenoid valve to start/stop the flow? These are only been necessary when putting the nozzle after the throttlebody. Not needed before the throttlebody... if I'm thinking of the right thing.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Is it a solenoid valve to start/stop the flow? These are only been necessary when putting the nozzle after the throttlebody. Not needed before the throttlebody... if I'm thinking of the right thing.
No, it's the valve that controls the flow. In other applications, the progressive controller throttles back the pump. This method just turns on the pump and uses this valve to change the rate.

If you are going to put the jet post TB, there are check valves or electric on/off solenoids for that.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ this....

the valve "acts fast" regulating the flow depending on your settings...

i think and KN correct me if am wrong....MS3 runs the pump at a higher pressure and regulated the flow by the valve....better than running the pump at a lower pressure and keeping the valve open....
Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ this....

the valve "acts fast" regulating the flow depending on your settings...

i think and KN correct me if am wrong....MS3 runs the pump at a higher pressure and regulated the flow by the valve....better than running the pump at a lower pressure and keeping the valve open....
Correct. The pump is just on full and the valve is like a fuel injector. The video's in the other thread shows the difference in spray patterns.

With Alky, Snow, AEM, etc, they throttle back the pump and there is no valve except for the one IHC mentions that prevents siphoning if the jet is located after the throttlebody and subjected to a vacuum.

Last edited by KN_TL; 04-18-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Check out my thread. I posted a video of the FAV vs other progressive style pump.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
here is the thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/project-water-methanol-injection-781606/
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

So it's basically a PWM solenoid? Hopefully it turns out well. I know there were reliability issues using this style of metering when some companies tried a progressive nitrous kit. Is there any reason some of you guys prefer doing it this way? Anyone know the frequency range this thing operates in?

Oh, and in the link above, in the original post, there was a mistake, it's the water that does the cylinder decarbonization, not the meth.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Oh, and in the link above, in the original post, there was a mistake, it's the water that does the cylinder decarbonization, not the meth.
Right. I saw this back when it was posted. But, I was too tired to repeatedly post stuff over and over again. Good to have you back IHC to help keep things in-check.

Sometimes, I just ask myself if any harm will come from the misinformation. If there is no harmful effects, I just let the misinformation slide to conserve my energy.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Right. I saw this back when it was posted. But, I was too tired to repeatedly post stuff over and over again. Good to have you back IHC to help keep things in-check.

Sometimes, I just ask myself if any harm will come from the misinformation. If there is no harmful effects, I just let the misinformation slide to conserve my energy.
I usually do that. The worst is when I go back and read one of my old posts, think what the hell is wrong with this guy and then realize it's me lol. Some of my posts from when I have migraines are just awful, they look to be written by a 6th grader.

I'm going to have some data on the stopping distances today hopefully, since you're the only one that seems interested, check the thread out later today if you want.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Safety Car

So it's basically a PWM solenoid? Hopefully it turns out well. I know there were reliability issues using this style of metering when some companies tried a progressive nitrous kit. Is there any reason some of you guys prefer doing it this way? Anyone know the frequency range this thing operates in?

Aquamist uses this method and the MS3 configuration either has "FAST" or Slow with frequency selections. I am not sure what "FAST" means. Did a quick search but turned up nothing at first glance.

One thing I did find is that Aquamist and other companies are using a bypass type pump vs an on demand type. So the durability question I mentioned isn't a problem with this type. I have an email out to Julio to see what his are.

I wished I found that BEFORE I ordered these parts! Oh well, may end up just sticking with the full Alky system.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

here the comparison
aquamist
pps
vs
Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

I hate to be the downer but the first video is the reason I asked for the frequency of the PWM solenoid. If you're NA and not relying on it to keep you out of dangerous knock territory, go for it. If you're turbocharged and require the meth to stop knock, this is not a good idea at all.

You figure at 6,000rpm, each intake valve is opening 50 times a second. There will be moments where no meth makes it in a cylinder with a PWM solenoid. It would have to have much better resolution, 200hz or better.

Keep in mind that the video is done by the manufacturer and there's always a good chance it's biased. Pressure looked to be very low on the progressive pump video. When mine kicks on, it's never below 100psi and fully ramped up it's around 300psi. Atomization is never an issue. I've done this same test with the nozzle unmounted and it's a very fine, powerful spray even at the initial turn-on point. If atomization is a problem, you have a crappy pump or too large of a nozzle. This is also a larger problem with water than straight meth. Meth flashes off extremely quickly and will generally give a finer mist. I have no dog in this fight but I've done a ton of testing since I completely rely on meth to keep my engine together.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:17 PM

^^^ what are you recommendations on this ?

I thought the Aquamist nozzle and pump looked/worked good (in the video).....also the MS3 keep the pump at full pressure....and at 6000rpm the nozzle will be at a 95-100% duty cycle....so how would meth not make it in some cylinders ?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

I hate to be the downer but the first video is the reason I asked for the frequency of the PWM solenoid. If you're NA and not relying on it to keep you out of dangerous knock territory, go for it. If you're turbocharged and require the meth to stop knock, this is not a good idea at all.

You figure at 6,000rpm, each intake valve is opening 50 times a second. There will be moments where no meth makes it in a cylinder with a PWM solenoid. It would have to have much better resolution, 200hz or better.

Keep in mind that the video is done by the manufacturer and there's always a good chance it's biased. Pressure looked to be very low on the progressive pump video. When mine kicks on, it's never below 100psi and fully ramped up it's around 300psi. Atomization is never an issue. I've done this same test with the nozzle unmounted and it's a very fine, powerful spray even at the initial turn-on point. If atomization is a problem, you have a crappy pump or too large of a nozzle. This is also a larger problem with water than straight meth. Meth flashes off extremely quickly and will generally give a finer mist. I have no dog in this fight but I've done a ton of testing since I completely rely on meth to keep my engine together.
I just spent money for nothing but someone is looking out for me. In order to use this method, you need a bypass style pump. Julio uses on demand so I would need a pump as well. So I'll be sticking with what I have except I am putting a level switch in the tank and I want to connect it to the MS3 to stay out of boost when I run out of methanol. Having read what you said makes me feel more comfortable about it.

BTW, I have a PM to you on a pump question I have that I am hoping you can confirm for me. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

^^^ what are you recommendations on this ?

I thought the Aquamist nozzle and pump looked/worked good (in the video).....also the MS3 keep the pump at full pressure....and at 6000rpm the nozzle will be at a 95-100% duty cycle....so how would meth not make it in some cylinders ?
If it's wide open, you're fine. I'm not sure if it's capable of going static without overheating though. Pulsing it through the intake just isn't a good idea, it's possible to miss an intake stroke here and there. I know it seems like it would all mix together in the intake tract but it can be surprising just how separated pulses can be.

IMO, this is a fix for a poor pump design, not an upgrade over other kits. They only run 150psi (manufacturer rated, who knows if it really does this) and who knows with what nozzle size. It's also easier to make that pressure with water than methanol.

Any kit that costs over $700 should be capable of straight meth. Parts for straight meth are more expensive and it's really surprising this kit must use a mix. It's a good looking kit with some neat electronics but with the other kits out there, this would be one of my last choices. It's adding complexity and more potential failure points when all it needs to do is use better materials and higher pump pressure. I think using the injector PW is a neat idea for a NA TL and I think the kit is fine for a NA TL.

For the turbo TL, you want the alky to be triggered by boost and ramped up with boost. A kit like alkycontrol can protect the engine if things go wrong. Being tied into a 3-bar MAP sensor, it has the potential to ramp up pump pressure to 300psi in the event the boost gets away from you.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Safety Car

That was one reason I went with Julio, he was the only one who stated outright that his pumps were good with 100% methanol.

It also has a 3-bar GM MAP sensor so I have vacuum/boost lines going to the boost gauge, the MS3 MAP sensor and the Alky MAP sensor.

This officially ends my quest into this arena. I'll probably put my parts up on BM as I won't have any use for them.

Last edited by KN_TL; 04-18-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Safety Car

^ glad you found your answer Now PIX of your units when you get it!!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
KN, you get the package from http://www.alkycontrol.com/ or from somewhere else?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FCVadi
KN, you get the package from http://www.alkycontrol.com/ or from somewhere else?
Yes, that is where I got it from. Julio will work with you on the components depending on where you plan to put your tank and pump.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:02 AM

gotta need a definitive weight on the
2 gallon tank
pump
hoses
fast acting valve
nozzles....
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

gotta need a definitive weight on the
2 gallon tank
pump
hoses
fast acting valve
nozzles....
The pump is HEAVY .

It weighs 5.1 Lbs (just the pump by itself).

See my thoughts below

I mounted the heavy-ass pump and again tried to ignore the weight. Then came the time to add miles of heavy-gauge wiring (pun very much intended).... and this is when I really got upset and it was the "straw that broke the camel's back".
Old 04-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Safety Car

The pump is HEAVY .

It weighs 5.1 Lbs (just the pump by itself).

See my thoughts below
Too funny.

I know you didn't have a 2 gallon tank but if water is approx 8lb's per gallon, that's 16lbs in fluids alone!!!!

BTW, do you all plan to go on a diet personally or are you a skinny ass asian like me and losing weight would mean you have a eating disorder?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

I am a skinny white dude... a rare thing

I am 5'7" at 150 lbs. For the diet people, they better be slim if they want to fit into the racing seat.

Racing seat = mandatory diet (not eating type)
Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 AM

yeah so the full setup will be like 20 lbs ??? thats not bad if it can suppress some knocking and run some high CR....

am just trying to see the trade off here.....
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

I've been investigating failsafe mechanisms that can be used with the MS3 for those of us who are FI.

I am still going to stick with my Alky based WMI until I can find a bypass pump that isn't just something you can buy at Tractor Supply with a new sticker on it.

I'll be installing a tank level float switch in my methanol tank and will connect it to an LED for visual indication that the tank is empty but also connect it to Pin28 (TableSwitch active GND). Then I can have a 2nd Fuel, Spark and Boost Map where the boost map is all zeros.

I also want to implement a pressure switch on the high pressure side of the pump to detect a pump failure or clog. I am not sure if I can connect them to the same pin in parallel or if I can designate another pin to perform the table switch.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
The AEM kit has a boost safe feature that dumps boost if it sees an issue, the problem is it only lowers boost to whatever level the wastegate spring is set at so 5-8 psi for most of us. My boost solenoid didn't like being attached to both the ms3 and meth kit so I had to disconnect the boost safe function. I do have the led to signal any issues with the system.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Safety Car

That thought occurred to me, that the boost would be regulated by the spring instead of the controller even if the map says don't do it.

I'll try setting my current boost map to all zero's and I'll let you know what happens.

So if the AEM's failsafe just takes that line to ground, then the tables switch function would occur on that signal.

The one thing I am going to do is use the buffer circuits that are in the manuals to isolate my ECU from any of the external devices.

Last edited by KN_TL; 04-25-2012 at 09:38 AM.