Intake Resonator Mod (Delete)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Resonator Mod (Delete)

Hey Guys,

So I have a 2004 Acura TL and I am very eager to accomplish and check off the Intake Resonator Mod on my list of To-Do's. I have done a lot of thread searching to find out as much information as I possibly can for it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/intake-resonator-removal-859712/

Please click on this link and scroll down to entry #8. I am looking at the picture with the air flow characteristics.

I have seen many threads where owners have literally cut off the resonator and everything that follows it (everything being the resonator to what tucks back up into the engine bay). So far, I haven't heard any problems with water from driving in the rain being sucked into the engine causing it to hydro-lock. That is mainly what I am afraid of because I live in Washington State where it rains, what feels like 300 days a year.

What I want to do is to just cut off the resonator, and then find some intake ducting from O'Reilys or Napa and put that in place of the resonator. That way, I am still keeping to the stock configuration, and I am less likely to risk hydro-locking my engine, as compared to removing everything after the intake resonator.

How does that sound to you guys? I am just looking for some input. Obviously the rewards would not be as good as compared to doing what everyone else seems to be doing.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 351 Posts
You wont suck up water unless the tubing is completely submerged in a puddle of water. I would just do like everyone else does and cut it all out and reuse the velocity stack pipe
Old 02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I did this just a few days ago for fun, and I am only using the top plastic tube as it goes into the airbox. I had to cut it off of the Resonator.
Maybe there is a .25hp gain, and maybe a 1 or 2 hp gain if you use a high flow panel filter in your stock air box. You will gain more intake noise and lose about 6lbs of weight.